Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #1
daniel270991

Default AU i6 Coolant/Radiator Flush Q's

Hi Guys,

Hoping this is a relative easy question to answer - been looking around for answers but seem quite varied, so hence, I ask.

Hoping to soon give my 2000 XR6 a coolant flush soon - the stuff in it currently looks like it is starting to go a slightest brown color.

I have read on a few places, including here, that there is a radiator drain plug somewhere inside the engine bay, and some others simply disconnect the bottom hose to flush out the fluid, then some get a hose and flush it out that way?

If there is any picture DIY's, that would be good, as I have yet to find one, but I am not 110% sure which way works best. I want to flush out as much of the old water as possible, and I gather it would need to be flushed a few times for maximum benefit.

Cheers, and thanks for the assistance,

D

daniel270991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: AU i6 Coolant/Radiator Flush Q's

I would use a cooling system cleaner additive & remove all hoses, thermostat & coolant header tank.
Then drain & flush the system, remembering to open the heater tap, back flush the system, replace the thermostat, check hoses & replace as required (keeping old ones for spares), check clamps, replace coolant & most importantly, ensure the system "bleeds" all the air out.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Default Re: AU i6 Coolant/Radiator Flush Q's

When I do mine I just take off the bottom hose and then remove the thermostat and housing then stick a hose in the top at the thermostat housing. As said, make sure you open the heater core then just put the hose into the pipe that goes to the heater and it'll flush that too. Let the hose run till clean water is coming out then let it run a bit longer to be sure. I then go and get fresh water from my rainwater tank and put about 20-30L through it then put everything back together and fill with fresh rainwater then tip in a bottle of Nulon coolant concentrate( Not the long life!) and job's right. Doing it that way I've never had an issue in 230k in our wagon and 130k in my Fairlane.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post