Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #1
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Default WA Police Minister to ban radar/laser detector ownership

It is reported Western Australia's Police Minister, Michelle Roberts is to introduce legislation in March banning the devices, in effect, to allow Australian Road Rule 225.

At this point she has opposition support with LIB leader Mathew Birney offering that support.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/060109/21/xie5.html

IF you don't want the prohibition you should let both sides know, particularly the opposition.

Michelle Roberts, WA Police Minister contact detail:
http://www.ministers.wa.gov.au/rober...n=home.contact

Matthew J. Birney, Leader of the Opposition:
305 Hannan Street
Kalgoorlie WA 6430
Postal Address: PO Box 10406,
Ph: 9021 3927
Fax: 9021 6724
Email: mbirney@mp.wa.gov.au

WA readers: Signal your thoughts to the RACWA.

ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As opposed to:

WA government buys 20,000 radar emmiters for road safety use. These emitters are for the use of Main Roads, councils and emergency services and are to be placed in dangerous situations such as flooded, blocked or damaged roads and accidents etc.

"We noted that there are many of these devices about and as they can give warning to drivers before there is any danger." stated the minister for transport. The emitters can be detected up to 2 km away and give lots of warning to oncoming vehicles.

"WA is a large place and we recognise that fatigue over long distances is a major cause of road trauma rather than the simplistic although lucrative eastern state theories that speed is always the problem and speeding fines will fix it" stated the shadow minister.

"Here is WA we want to save lives even if it is at the expense of government income from speed cameras" stated the Premier.

"This is not a get out of jail free card for speeders, if they are going a little over the limit then they will have time to slow, if a lot then we will catch them and treat them accordingly. Lives are more important than financial income"" stated the Police minister.
------------------------------------------

Meanwhile here on EARTH................
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

those emitters are not such a bad thing..
they also have them in emergency vehicles and my bel can pick them up and decipher them. it once told me when an ambulance was coming up behind me before i could even see it..
as for banning radar detectors, NOT a fan of that idea..

http://www.adrawa.com.au/index.htm
Old 11-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

WELL XR06T *You* should make a personal effort at stopping this. (I mean this in total respect btw).

Put it this way, they get paid enough to hear you.

Flappist, thank you for that, I'll copy.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #5
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

dont bother trying to email michelle roerts office. i tried that for 18 months with NO RESPONSE and simply gave up in the end. what i would like ot know is this...how many vehicles involved in serious accidents have a radar detector fitted? as a percentage, is a car fitted with a detector more or less likely to be involved in a big bang? i wonder if it is possibleto get some straight answers on those questions...i wont hold my breath.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I will try voice my opinion. I have always called them a safety device.

I have a bell too and it even tells me where roadworks are ahead.

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:24 PM   #7
CruizinEB
Banned

god.... i never liked that damm Michelle Roberts
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:28 PM   #8
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the real world..WA

Sorry the real world is in the NT.

It should have read welcome to the eastern states.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2006, 11:40 PM   #9
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

I agree with you rsGerry, i wanted to know when i was reading the statistics on just how many cars fitted with radar detectors were involved in these crashes.

But then, they would probably just make a low estimate of numbers statewide (thereby increasing relative percentages) and try to hide the true details... Hmm thats not like a government here (oops sorry, slipped into that dream again.)

Better (actually some would be useful) training, licencing and education, roads and safer cars are the magic bullets.

Keep up the good fight.
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
RSgerry
Well hello Mr Fancypants

OKay...I have written to Matt Birney. Hopefully he will take some notice. I urge all WA members on here to write to him. If enough of us do, then there is a chance. Like I said, there is no point in writing to the whale (Roberts) as she couldnt give a flying ИИИИ as she is already in power. Maybe she needs the money from $peed cameras to finance the operation to remove one of her chins...

Also, if someone would kindly run over grant dorrington from the 'road safety council' as well, that would be appreciated.

BTW, I dont own a radar detector. I just hate how this government (in particluar, the whale) pretend to care and really just skirt around the issue of road safety.
RSgerry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 12:46 AM   #11
CruizinEB
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [color=Black
RSgerry[/color]]Maybe she needs the money from $peed cameras to finance the operation to remove one of her chins...
hahaha here here..i'lput in $200 to get her knocked off hehehe
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 AM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
Welcome to the real world..WA

Sorry the real world is in the NT.

It should have read welcome to the eastern states.
Mate we are in the real world... Get a good grip and squeeze hard ........
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 02:11 AM   #13
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems like our pollies over here in the east have have been getting into the ears of you pollies over there on how to raise revenue.Cause that's all it's about, i'm certain they don't give a rats ИИИИ about road safety otherwise they wouldn't be trying to ban detectors.It was done here years ago and it's done absolutely nothing as to lowering the road toll.But it has certainly raised the revenue take.As for trying to get any satisfaction out of a politician, you might as well go out into the shed, put your hand on the bench and bash it with the biggest hammer you have.Because thats what it's like trying to get them to see logic. JUST PAINFUL!!!!!!!!
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 09:39 AM   #14
Fryday

This has come up at least once a year for at least the last 10 years... we haven't banned them yet. Maybe it'll be different THIS time... maybe. Won't help the road toll tho
Fryday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Mate we are in the real world... Get a good grip and squeeze hard ........
:

DAMN that was good can I do it again....lol

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post