Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 PM   #31
Bowser22

Default Re: Mondeo loan car :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post

The tow bars in Europe would give Hayman Reese fans a fit though!

http://www.shop1auto.com.au/Images%2...0tow%20bar.jpg
wow
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #32
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwm View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes a Mondeo so easy to park? Still looks like quite a large car - size seems comparable to a Falcon. Is it easier to park than a Falcon? Or is that just compared to a Territory?

I should say I've never driven a Mondeo...

I have driven both the Mondeo, the Territory and the Falcon, the Mondeo is a much more practical city car.

Mondeo is easier to park, far cheaper on petrol, and most importantly has far more appeal with the ladies in our house....

Nothing wrong with a Territory...its the OP that did the initial comparison.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #33
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Now come on, that's comparing apples with oranges! The Territory's a larger car, of course it's going to cost more to run. And I have to call you out on the parking - the Territory's a cinch to park (especially if you have the camera).
No offence to you but what about if I worded it like this?

"the Territory is difficult/impossible to park without the optional rear camera for $750"

or...

"The Territory, being a larger car, uses almost twice the fuel of a Mondeo around town"

zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
No offence to you but what about if I worded it like this?

"the Territory is difficult/impossible to park without the optional rear camera for $750"

or...

"The Territory, being a larger car, uses almost twice the fuel of a Mondeo around town"

That's better ;)
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #35
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Yeah cause a falcon is the epitomy of dynamic.
For Australian country back roads, not much better than an XR6 Turbo.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #36
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
For Australian country back roads, not much better than an XR6 Turbo.
Where do you live mate? I live in Goulburn, have owned both a BA XR6t and a currently own a MB Zetec TDCi and I can tell you what I'd rather drive on the country back roads around where I live...

The Falcon was awesome in a straight line, and around corners on smooth roads, but on actual country back roads that are littered with dips and pot holes, the power was next to useless...

FWD cars are not what they used to be... They've come a long way...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #37
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tumpy View Post
Where do you live mate? I live in Goulburn, have owned both a BA XR6t and a currently own a MB Zetec TDCi and I can tell you what I'd rather drive on the country back roads around where I live...

The Falcon was awesome in a straight line, and around corners on smooth roads, but on actual country back roads that are littered with dips and pot holes, the power was next to useless...

FWD cars are not what they used to be... They've come a long way...
Country Vic, my FGs have had no problem with potholed and bumpy roads. I used to be worried about the 18's but I have taken some big hits and no probs. I always go leather and the interiors are perfect for me.
I have also spent some time in Mondeo wagons and I don't like'em.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
5tumpy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Country Vic, my FGs have had no problem with potholed and bumpy roads. I used to be worried about the 18's but I have taken some big hits and no probs. I always go leather and the interiors are perfect for me.
I have also spent some time in Mondeo wagons and I don't like'em.
Fair enough mate... That may well be the case, the only FG I've driven was an FG XR50 rental I had for a week on holiday in Melbourne in a couple of years ago... I can guarantee you though that my Mondeo handles as well, if not better than my BA did on country roads... My parents had new Falcons from EB-EL (my Dad had a company car that got updated every 2 years) and I've owned an AU, BA and BF and in terms of build quality and ride quality, they can't hold a candle to the imported Mondeo...

I love my Falcons, and like you I refused to entertain the idea of a imported Ford, until Ford announced the demise of the Falcon, and I realised my efforts were in vain, and caved... I do 1000km a week and got sick of paying $200+ for petrol a week... I could have bought a diesel Mondeo for $18k second hand, or one of the new ecoboost Falcons for $40k+... I test drove one of each, and bought the Mondeo without hesitation... For me, with my size, and what I was looking to do in the car, the extra $20-odd thousand wasn't worth it... To get the level of kit I have in my Mondeo, I was in G6 territory in the Falcons, and even then it was lacking... My Mondeo still had new car warranty, and I extended that for 3 years... So there was literally no benefit in it...

I was still weary of the Mondeo, because I had previously been a die-hard Falcon man who thought exactly like you do... But as I drove the car more and more, I love the thing...
5tumpy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #39
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terror_Tree View Post
Whilst my Territory was getting it's yearly service my local Ford dealer gave me a 2013 Mondeo as a loan car for the day(just over 600km on the ODO). I must say I was quite disappointed. First of all I could not get comfortable in the drivers seat, no matter how I adjusted it. It had very poor throttle response (petrol version), especially when trying to negotiate a roundabout. But the worst was it felt like the bad old front drive cars of the 80's. I have driven a few FWD cars, including a Focus and a Mazda 3 recently and they had none of the horrible FWD characteristics the Mondeo had. When I returned the car I let then know my thoughts and they were quite surprised. It did make me appreciate how good my Territory drives.
The truth is for such a heavy and tall beast, the Territory is a great steer and very comfortable. Lots of cars will come up short to it.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM   #40
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwm View Post
Just out of curiosity, what makes a Mondeo so easy to park? Still looks like quite a large car - size seems comparable to a Falcon. Is it easier to park than a Falcon? Or is that just compared to a Territory?

I should say I've never driven a Mondeo...
Pre the latest update, where Ford gave the Terri a longer nose, I would say the Territory was one of the easiest cars to park that I've owned. Easier then any Falcons or my old Mazda 6, which was smaller then the current Mondeo. My wife feels the same way.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #41
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

An interesting exercise in comparing apples oranges and peaches. Each suited to purpose but not necessarily cross compatible or capable of pleasing the aficionados of each fruit.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #42
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
An interesting exercise in comparing apples oranges and peaches. Each suited to purpose but not necessarily cross compatible or capable of pleasing the aficionados of each fruit.
To compare the Falcon and Mondeo is not a stretch. If Ford think the Mondeo will sell to Falcon buyers (top end models especially) they are mistaken.
I will be looking at a 300C or second hand XF Jag.
One good thing will be big sedans will go back to being status symbols rather than bogan drug transport vehicles.