Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #1
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Default power steering problem

hey guys, as you know my Au is no longer in my care as my littel brother is driving it, since then heaps of problems have popped up, stuffed right window, wont go all the way down, broken windsheild, etc etc..

Now the Power steering has decided to give up the ghost.
My little brother noticed a buzzing sound when he came home the other day when he pressed the accelerator or turned the wheel.
upon inspection of the power steering fluid resivour, it was completely empty!
So i filled it back up, and today checked it and its empty!!!!!!

I stuck my head under the car and noticed alot of oil on the left hand side where i am guessing the steering arm is.
Now i dont know nothing about all this stuff, At a guess it seems a hose has come off or bursted under pressure, I bought some new car ramps today, but cant get the damn car up because of the stupid bodykit, my jack's wont lift it up high enough to put my body under to have a good look.

Has anyone had any dramas with this problem yet, or is it just me?
I thought i would ask here before taking it to ultratune to get it checked out!

any advice would be great!

Thanks
Rob

sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

think the t3 has done the same thing mate.....
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 02:16 PM   #3
sfr rob

damn, i think i will just take it down to ultratune and pay the pricks to check it out.

cheers
rob
Old 08-01-2006, 12:53 AM   #4
XR6Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
damn, i think i will just take it down to ultratune and pay the pricks to check it out.

cheers
rob
I think it may be a leaking seal, or the seal may have called it a day altogether. My Au1 has the same issue (chewing through P/S fluid), is booked in to be fixed in the next week or so... will let you know how it goes!
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
sfr rob

do you know if it is "safe" to drive it like this?
i know it cant be good, but my brother needs it to get to work this week, should i just fill it with some cheaper oil? i put some good mobil stuff in it, but its a waste of money when it comes out in an hour or so!
Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 PM   #6
XR6Stu

If its leaking out within an hour, id suggest prbably not driving it, and getting it fixed as soon as is practicle. Mine is leaking empty within a 4 or 5 days, and im still pretty hesitant to drive it....
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 09:44 PM   #7
sfr rob

yeah i am getting the car checked out on monday/tuesday, hopefully only a pipe has come loose or something.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:19 PM   #8
AUCOON

I think you will find he has done a seal in the steering rack, all the power steering fluid collects in the rubber boot, if he keeps driving and it has no power steering fluid he can stuff the power steering pump as well, better not to drive it.
I had the same problem this week had my power steering rack replaced.
AUCOON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 12:38 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had my PS pump reconditioned (they do it on an exchange basis). It was about half the cost of a newy - around $250, I think.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 01:14 PM   #10
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mine went had it replaced under extended warrenty.
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
sfr rob

holy crap.. $250... stuff that, time to kick my brother up the *** and tell him to get a job!
i was hoping it was only a seal or tube, damn it.
I havent booked it in yet, i am going to try and get under the car this arvo and see what i can find!

cheers
rob
Old 09-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #12
sfr rob

ok, just pu the car on some stands so i could get in under it....

i wiped all the oil splatter of where i thought it was coming from but that all seemed to be fine and clean with no oil leaks.

started the car up and got my brother to turn the wheel left and then right, when he did this it started weeping oil from this little contraption.....

It is pictured below, it is the thing with the blue plastic cap on it.
anyone know what it is??

from the top

from uner the car

cheers

rob
Old 09-01-2006, 06:26 PM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Looks like the steering shaft to me.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:34 PM   #14
sfr rob

and what would i have to do.. replace a seal or the whole thing?
Old 09-01-2006, 07:40 PM   #15
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

its only a rack switch mate

cheapie and you can get them from REpco.. You need a thin and stumpy 13mm spanner to fix it though

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 07:44 PM   #16
sfr rob

So thats what the leakage would be from yeah?
that is good news then!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:06 PM   #17
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
So thats what the leakage would be from yeah?
that is good news then!
yep, the rack switch is cactus

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do what Racecraft says because you'll only screw up the rack and power steering pump and you'll be up for a rack and pump and your wallet will be lighter by at least $1000. Running them dry aint a good thing
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #19
sfr rob

wow, didnt know that the set up is worth $1000 geebus!

I am off to repco in the morning then. damn windows wont go up or down either... need to lube them up, funny how my au has decided to get jealous of me driving the BA so much LOL
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #20
sfr rob

All done fellas, bought the rack switch from repco, $45 or something like that, cut a 14 spanner in half, got a mate who is a mechanic to change it for me in the drive way.. EASY!

thanks for your help fellas

Rob
Old 14-01-2006, 08:00 AM   #21
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

It must be an AU thing because mine is haveing the same problem, just started, I also have to replace the Transmition sump gasket. Everything decided to go at the same time!!

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2006, 09:02 PM   #22
mattsAU1

i had a similar problem with my AU and took it for one of those $14 steering and suspension checks at Pedders and $800 later i had a new rack and pinion, mine was leaking inside the dust covers u see in the pic previous, if u take the tie off the cover it will more than likely be full of fluid i would think. the money i spent at pedders bought me a reco rack and pinion but they added a fluid filter which isn't standard cause they believe any system that relies on the oil traveling through it needs a filter. made sense to me and haven't had a problem since.
mattsAU1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2006, 05:11 PM   #23
sfr rob

i think you got ripped, BIG TIME!
it sucks, you could have found out what was needed and gone to a wreckers and paid a mechanic $100 for labour and get it all done for well under $800!!!
Old 15-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsAU1
i had a similar problem with my AU and took it for one of those $14 steering and suspension checks at Pedders and $800 later i had a new rack and pinion, mine was leaking inside the dust covers u see in the pic previous, if u take the tie off the cover it will more than likely be full of fluid i would think. the money i spent at pedders bought me a reco rack and pinion but they added a fluid filter which isn't standard cause they believe any system that relies on the oil traveling through it needs a filter. made sense to me and haven't had a problem since.
Same deal. Into pedders for an alignment check, I came out with a report adviing me to replace the steering rack as it was leaking
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
AUCOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsAU1
Yes you got ripped big time just had my rack and pinion replaced at Pedders $410 fitted.
AUCOON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2006, 05:13 PM   #26
Pistonbroke

Had my rack also replaced as it was leaking. $500.00 later the power steering goes.

There was 1 side effect which happened 2 months later which apparently is common with the AU. Leaking fluid onto the alternator. Eventually it burns out, for me it was in the middle of the city at night. 4 hours later $350 to Mr RACV for a new one.

Guys if you had a power steering leak make sure you check the Alt.
Pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post