Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Thoughs on a Small-Medium Sized Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL2794 View Post

I do respect the DSG. Not sure if the ones in the RS Octavia's is an older version of the VW one, as I have mainly driven the DSG in Skoda's, but I had one almost stall on me a couple of times. Might've been a rare occurance however. I have noticed it takes a while to go from R to D, but I'm never really in a rush!
Our Ford dealer in Nowra is also the VW/Skoda dealer. Their service people (who are old-fashioned country mechanics not BSAs!) say that Skoda uses the previous, proven, cycle of VW mechanical components and are far less prone to failure and generally more reliable than the VWs - which tallies with what you hear from overseas.

They do say however that spare parts and service costs for VWs are far higher than for the Fords - but anybody should be already aware of that if they buy an imported car (though presumably Ford Australia keeps the costs down on its imported models so that would be a plus for the Focus).

They also said that when Fords have a mechanical failure they tend to be able to limp home whereas VWs are more complex and totally fail and have to be picked up on the flat top! All in all, they suggest that if you're choosing between the Skoda and VW equivalent go for the Skoda because of more reliability and often they have a few extras like more internal space (particularly the Octavia and Superb).

That's the nearest I can get to the horses mouth - staying away from sales staff, although the Skoda salesman was amazed when I told him I had been driving a faultless Octavia with 200,000 on the clock, he wanted me to come and tell his customers!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM   #32
EL2794
TopGhia

Solitaire Automotive deal with a variety of prestige brands in SA, and a friend of mine's brother is a mechanic for LandRover which comes under the Solitaire umbrella. He says if we're looking for a Golf to stick to a diesel/manual as that combination has proven its longevity. I'm also not going to go as far as saying VW's are unreliable. He has however mentioned that the TSI engines are rather complicated and there has been problems with some, and when a DSG goes kaput, it's expensive especially out of warranty.

This does make me think twice about going for a VW, but there is a lot more good wrap about them than negative. Like Nic85 with the Polo GTi! Nice car.
EL2794 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #33
EL2794
TopGhia

Ok, so it's been a bit busy lately with work so our car hunting hasn't progressed much. However it has allowed me to have a good look at the new Skoda Rapid.

Not the best looking of cars IMO, but it seems solid and well built. Time will tell...?
Old 19-01-2013, 10:37 PM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes it would be solid and well built!

Would your mum be interested in this road test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxud-FDfrOY
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #35
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Yes it would be solid and well built!

Would your mum be interested in this road test!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxud-FDfrOY
That's a zippy thing! To the O.P., it may be worth holding out till next month to take a drive of the new Nissan Pulsar when it hits the showroom floors.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #36
EL2794
TopGhia

Worth an update? Why not!
Almost two years later a I have finally seated my mum in a new car!

A MY15 VW Polo DSG Comfortline in Pepper grey.

We ordered it about a month ago after hearing about the drive away offers. We ended up having to wait for it to be built as there were none available in the colour with the optional Comfort Pack.

It was a toss up between the Sport or the comfort pack. But after some deliberation it was decided that the comfort pack provided more value. It brings features such as Radar Cruise, front assist, emergency city braking, electro-chromatic rear view mirror, auto headlights and wipers, reverse camera, auto climate control and driver fatigue detection.

I'll upload some more pics on the weekend. Thanks for all your previous input! Mums over the moon with the VW! Cheers
2 users like this post: