Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-04-2015, 05:35 PM   #91
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Stop Start Technology

"It's a great idea, in theory. Your engine shuts off at red lights, stop signs, and busy Taco Bell drive-throughs—whenever a momentary pause provides an opportunity to save some fuel.

In practice, stop/start systems are annoying, pointless, and sometimes dangerous. Your car is barely using any fuel at idle anyway, and when it fires back up it's with a burp and a shudder, like someone startled grandpa during his nap.

And that's if you're lucky enough that it actually restarts. We've had three cars from three different companies execute the stop part of the equation and then fail to restart. So on the plus side, you save a thimble of fuel. Downside: Enraged truckers slash your tires as your lane sits through two traffic-light cycles behind your wondrous miracle of efficiency.

Fortunately, every car with stop/start comes with another feature: a button to turn it off".
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...gines-already/
Bold emphasis is mine....
Old 25-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #92
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Remember the car will be accelerating from the lights probably at near full throttle, with oil pressure not having had a chance to get up again. And that is with the oil and engine components including bearings all at warmed up (hot) temperatures. Oil is a lot less viscous when hot.

But time will tell and show up any effects on the engine and other components. Wont be me though.
We are not talking about old holden red motor are we with oil pressure.

The oil pressure will be their in an instant.

It does not matter how less viscous the oil is.

The piston firing does not put that much strain on the crank at all it's pinking that hammers way beyond any firing does.
The rods are set to one the side of a piston you know and when she fires the crank the rod down the bottom is not straight up and down you know.

If there was a problem with this type of engine we would all know about it by now.

I think it's a good idea, if only my old 308 had that tec when I lived on the Gold Coast, red light city traffic madness that you spend half the time sitting at the lights.
I worked out the fuel range by the time with that back then, not MPG or L/100.

It's the way of the future with ADR for sure.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2015, 10:27 PM   #93
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some of you guys are awesome!
you moan about a technology that you wont purchase and make all sorts of claims about how bad it is based on anecdotal evidence then ignore the experts, engineers and knowledgeable who have debunked your theories.
It would appear to me no matter how against something you might be your ranting will not stop its introduction. Much smarter people in their fields make the decisions to implement a technology, not to anger you personally but to meet ever increasing demands, rules and regulations enforced by greater powers than the keyboard warrior, like consumers, regulators and maybe even their conscience. These people are also at the coal face of companies who are actually making and selling increasing numbers of cars, with the technology onboard compared to those without it that may be close to the hearts of many here who aren't making many cars anymore. You may not like it, but to cast aspersions against it based on opinion is just bitterness or something.
Im particularly fond of posts that make claims just after an expert sets the record straight!

J 'i'm bitter too tonight' P
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #94
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only reason for the introduction of this technology is to help manufacturers meet emission guidelines. It offers absolutely no performance or safety enhancements.
Increased wear & tear on certain components is a side effect - after all, the car stop start cycle now goes from an av of 50,000 up to 500,000 (over a normal car life) but wear has been mitigated to a large degree ie
- Federal Mogul (the bearing manufacturers) have introduced their "irox" range of low friction crank bearings.
- Batteries having extra plates/cells.
- Starter motors being beefed up.
I can appreciate the new stop start technology - but it's also created a need for other engineering improvements. How do you know that your car has these? Or after 3- 5 years does it become some one elses problem ( ie warranty is over/ car is sold etc).
What about turbo bearings ??. Imagine pulling up at the lights after having just given the car a bit of a booting. Engine (& oil supply) turns off - leaving the turbo spinning away...
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 01:32 PM   #95
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I remember when points were phased out and electronic ignition was being introduced, same sort of arguments, "what happens if I break down?" "At least I can change points myself" "this voltage is dangerous" and now we are all better off for it.
I also remember the introduction of EFI, that was another scare for many, "The car modding scene is dead" "Nothing can be done to tune these cars"
Yep, another false scare.
I guess some people embrace technology, others are scared of it.
The engineers/programmers of modern cars take into account many variables so the turbo situation would be accounted for, While at a training course at Bosch, the trainer showed me a book, this book was probably 6-8" thick, it was the thermo fan strategy for a commodore (not sure what model) I'm sure there would be similar strategies for this stop start technology

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-04-2015, 02:42 PM   #96
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter View Post
I remember when points were phased out and electronic ignition was being introduced, same sort of arguments, "what happens if I break down?" "At least I can change points myself" "this voltage is dangerous" and now we are all better off for it.
I also remember the introduction of EFI, that was another scare for many, "The car modding scene is dead" "Nothing can be done to tune these cars"
Yep, another false scare.
I guess some people embrace technology, others are scared of it.
The engineers/programmers of modern cars take into account many variables so the turbo situation would be accounted for, While at a training course at Bosch, the trainer showed me a book, this book was probably 6-8" thick, it was the thermo fan strategy for a commodore (not sure what model) I'm sure there would be similar strategies for this stop start technology
while correct in some aspects, turbo charges are third party with their own warranty, to me this is planed obsolescence at best.
OEM battery is one year warranty, what warranty conditions will be implied for new battery? ie "taxi" 6 months..
and what other parts are listed as consumables.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #97
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpblue100..I don't mind technology in cars but not when it ****** me off, like SS does. Electric folding mirrors, electric tailgate, satnav etc are all good.
Old 26-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #98
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
while correct in some aspects, turbo charges are third party with their own warranty, to me this is planed obsolescence at best.
Ford have strategies in place for possible turbo overheating, so would assume that if they had stop start technology on a XR6T they would be smart enough to have strategies in place for it

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post