Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2015, 10:21 PM   #61
zilo
BANNED

Default Re: Are small cars any good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Actually I think there are more dead from the golden era of big strong cars than from crumple zone donned hatchbacks.
You cant deny a hatchback in the side of your falcommercmw is going to hurt you more then the other driver.
So why worry.

JP
tut...tut....you know that's not a controlled example.

shame on you.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #62
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Actually I think there are more dead from the golden era of big strong cars than from crumple zone donned hatchbacks.
You cant deny a hatchback in the side of your falcommercmw is going to hurt you more then the other driver.
So why worry.

JP

shame on you.

We could talk about who comes off better hitting a tree...they never change.

I reckon the big car...
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 10:47 PM   #63
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But im not discussing controlled examples where big is better. I'm arguing I don't care. I could own a hummer and have someone crash through my front fence killing me in my hammock. the bad stuff happens, I don't think too much about it I drive a small car daily cause it suits me. given the low number of deaths on our roads I'm betting Ill be OK. the chances of having a perfect real world crash are as about as remote as having the big one anyway so why bother fretting, jumping up and down beating my chest claiming mine is bigger or smaller than yours and therefore better. you ll not change your mind, cause that's OK, I have an opinion too and that's OK...its just mine is rig...different.

where are my emoticons! damn it!

JP

Last edited by jpblue1000; 25-05-2015 at 10:48 PM. Reason: lost my emoticons again
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2015, 11:02 PM   #64
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was lucky enough to have a quick fang in a new little Polo GTI.

1.8 turbo with 141kw.. But the kicker is the torque 320nm at just 1450rpm.

Love love love it. Steering, gearbox, handling and ride beautiful, and one of the nicest steering wheels I have seen and felt.

$27,990

Last edited by Brazen; 25-05-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #65
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

shame on you.

We could talk about who comes off better hitting a tree...they never change.

I reckon the big car...
Big cars little cars, they all killers under certain accident conditions which is a known fact.

To be quite honest I would not like to be in any car that hits a tree.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 10:48 AM   #66
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized View Post
You mean the American definition of small car was, and still is different. Remember the XK Falcon was sold as a small/compact car over there, but family sized here.

You don't need to go that far back, the 1980's is enough to illustrate your point.

The first Toyota Camry sold in Australia was 100mm shorter, 80mm narrower, and 60mm lower overall than the current Corolla.

The current Holden Cruze is only 150mm shorter than the VB Commodore, but 66mm wider and 106mm higher.
The Cruze does not feel as big inside as a VB Commodore, the Cruse maybe heaver ?

Small cars have been getting fatter like the Corolla.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 11:13 AM   #67
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As for small cars inside some are even better than the bigger cars, mainly for head room especially in the back seat.
I can't sit in the back of a AU Falcon as the head room is just rubbish, but in the back of a Suzuki Swift I can sit in the rear with no problems with head room.

Some years ago car mags would show a spec of the interior, it may of been Fords own spec, but it's a load of rubbish, as where and how do they take the points from ? the top of the seat foam ? or some angle that has nothing to do with the human body sitting in the seat.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2015, 05:51 PM   #68
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
As for small cars inside some are even better than the bigger cars, mainly for head room especially in the back seat.
I can't sit in the back of a AU Falcon as the head room is just rubbish, but in the back of a Suzuki Swift I can sit in the rear with no problems with head room.

Some years ago car mags would show a spec of the interior, it may of been Fords own spec, but it's a load of rubbish, as where and how do they take the points from ? the top of the seat foam ? or some angle that has nothing to do with the human body sitting in the seat.
by the same token you can drive over a railway crossing in the au without getting spinal injuries .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-05-2015, 06:30 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
I was lucky enough to have a quick fang in a new little Polo GTI.

1.8 turbo with 141kw.. But the kicker is the torque 320nm at just 1450rpm.

Love love love it. Steering, gearbox, handling and ride beautiful, and one of the nicest steering wheels I have seen and felt.

$27,990

I hate VW as much as the next auto tradie, but with specs like that its hard to look past IMO, something like that would make me overlook my VW hatred.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post