Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
Maddy Autsch
Starter Motor

Question Start up game

Hey fellas, I'm in need for a bit of advice where to look and what to check up on.
I'm driving a falcon bf 06 lpg ute. Not always but annoyingly often the car is playing the following game with me.

When I turn the key to start the engine I get to hear a click, sometimes one other times more than one before it seems like the battery just died.
So it goes something like click click click lights out...

I then open the bonnet to turn the "disconnecting switch" on my battery till its disconnected, I then turn it the other way to connect the battery again, close the bonnet turn the key and start the car.

Every so often I need to repeat that process, the car always starts in the end.
Battery is fairly new (1 month) starter motor as well (maybe 2 month since replacement)

What is causing such weird behaviour? Why do I have to unplug and reconnect my battery before I can start my engine? And why only sometimes?
Maddy Autsch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 
Default Re: Start up game

You might have to show us a picture of this 'disconnecting switch' so we can see what it is.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:23 AM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Sounds like new ignition switch time to me.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
Maddy Autsch
Starter Motor

I"ll try to send a coupe of pics. The switch is connected to the + port of the battery and has a little green wheel on the top of it to turn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0177[1].jpg (146.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-12-2015, 10:50 AM   #5
Maddy Autsch
Starter Motor

hope this helps

Last edited by Maddy Autsch; 03-12-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 03-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

For a start that switch should be on the -ve terminal. The risk of shorting increases significantly being on the +ve terminal.

I'd say that isolator switch may be the problem. I've used those in the past and found them not all that 100%. Also maybe the connections to the battery and cable clamp may not be giving a full connection.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
For a start that switch should be on the -ve terminal. The risk of shorting increases significantly being on the +ve terminal.
Further to the switch being mounted on the +ve terminal, this sort of thing can easily happen with the switch mounted like that.

This is why Ford installs a red insulating cover over the +ve battery terminal that also covers the clamp and cable end.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #8
Maddy Autsch
Starter Motor

Just took the switch apart and cleaned it a bit. Also replaced the rusty old screw with a new one. It seems to work better now.
I initially bought the car with that switch attached and never questioned it since it didn't cause me any trouble.
Thanks a lot for the info though!!!
Probably going to get rid of it all together would be a great idea
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Yes, would be a great idea to get rid of that switch if you dont need it. And put back the red cover that should be over the battery terminal and clamp.