Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-09-2016, 04:11 AM   #31
KeyboardFighter
Smashed Conrod

Default Re: Roundabout law has Queensland drivers in a spin

living in QLD I try to avoid roundabouts, people here have no clue on how to drive thru em. just the other day I had to jump on the brakes because this old *** was looking left while entering at speed. I might drive an AU but don't try to kill me for owning one. It's not just old people but younger people that are always in a rush and the roundabout is the "perfect place to cut someone off" Thanks coppa i'll keep that in mind.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:05 AM   #32
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Gotta hate it when you approach a roundabout with a car in front of you and the right is clear, only to have them stop and give way to a vehicle on the opposite side - panel beaters dream.

And when I can't see because of a van, 4wd, or tinted-windowed car next to me - I trust their judgment hoping that a cement truck or a Kenworth carting bee hives isn't there.

And then you have to deal with the absolute *&&^%wit that decided to plant trees in the middle of it.
Well if you read the Road rules you will see that you have a responibility to give way to traffic either on your Left or Right.Road rules state you must give way to any traffic already in the roundabout.All drivers face a giveway sign and technically the give way to the right doesn't apply
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulXR50 View Post
Stuck on the western freeway at the moment in Bris. People cant merge what chance they have with a roundabout. Useless sobs...
That's because the rule is the car merging onto the motorway has to give way to traffic already on there, which I personally think is stupid because in QLD give way means go full bore past or stop completely.

If you can move over to let someone in then that's what you should do. Not just ******* sit there cause the rule on the motorway says keep left unless overtaking. No common sense, courtesy or brains for anyone that drives here.

Last edited by TheSneakiness; 08-09-2016 at 09:16 AM. Reason: If its gonna edit for abbreviations I might as well give the whole hog
TheSneakiness is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 09:30 AM   #34
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to throw in a comment about merging in qld. There are two types of merges, if there is a dotted line in the road then you must yield to everyone i.e. stop and wait. If there is no dotted line when two lanes meet then the zipper method applies. A lot of people don't realise and get grumpy when they are not let in when actually they have to yield and await till it is safe. It is designed like this to maintain traffic flow.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #35
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Just to throw in a comment about merging in qld. There are two types of merges, if there is a dotted line in the road then you must yield to everyone i.e. stop and wait. If there is no dotted line when two lanes meet then the zipper method applies. A lot of people don't realise and get grumpy when they are not let in when actually they have to yield and await till it is safe. It is designed like this to maintain traffic flow.
I think you will find that rule applies Australia wide,part of the National Road Rules
4 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM   #36
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Well if you read the Road rules you will see that you have a responibility to give way to traffic either on your Left or Right.Road rules state you must give way to any traffic already in the roundabout.All drivers face a giveway sign and technically the give way to the right doesn't apply
But surely a driver entering and already on the roundabout on your left, would have to be going completely around it [going back to where they came from] for you to have to wait and give way to it.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 10:02 PM   #37
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
But surely a driver entering and already on the roundabout on your left, would have to be going completely around it [going back to where they came from] for you to have to wait and give way to it.
Not necesserily,if the car on the left is going to enter the roudabout just before you and going straight ahead they have right of way
2 users like this post:
Old 09-09-2016, 10:05 PM   #38
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
In my experience Queenslanders just don't indicate, let alone at roundabouts.
Thats all the bloody victorians up here driving like that.

Qlders drive just fine.
#borninvic
Old 09-09-2016, 10:32 PM   #39
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From memory there is more to the roundabout rule e.g. if the straight ahead path is greater than 180 degrees you should have a right indicator on even though it is essentially the second left exit after you enter i.e. the straight ahead. Might sound stupid but on those huge roundabouts 100m in diameter, sometimes under a motorway you can't see where someone enters so you don't know what n their path is. Also at the tiny roundabouts, when you indicate left to exit you may only get a single flash on indicator and your car is off it anyway, making it pretty much pointless to indicate left when exiting those. It all comes down to common sense and remember the whole point of roundabouts is to keep the traffic flowing. Everyone should know what other people are doing, so you don't have to be so defensive and stop all the time cause you don't know if the person is going straight or turning without an indicator on. When I'm driving I use the indicators in a common sense fashion how i want someone to do for me but unfortunately the majority of people are inherently selfish and only think of driving as going from a to b, as apposed to a skill or an art form, something to be proud of and makes life easier for everybody.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 10:46 PM   #40
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
I know it is law ... and ppl love to uphold it .... but it makes it hard for truck and bus drivers trying to enter onto a freeway/motorway with a short on-ramp near-impossible/dangerous.

As others have mentioned .... I keep an eagle out for on-ramps and also what is around me ... and try and get out of the way and allow them an easy merge where possible.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:21 PM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I get the rules. The problem is that everywhere else in my experience, people can merge at 80-100km/h with double or more traffic and not have a problem yet they seem to stop as rule for no reason. Just weird.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 11:38 PM   #42
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Growing up and learning how to drive in Canberra taught me a lot about roundabouts...

I'll leave you with my thoughts on peoples / drivers understanding of the rules...

Old 10-09-2016, 12:07 AM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremerus View Post
not if its a long vehicle.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 12:23 AM   #44
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Probably a good reason when they send out your licence renewal they throw in a leaflet on rule changes or common questions asked.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post