Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-10-2016, 03:30 AM   #1
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Joshua Dowling again - 'Special Investigation' parting article for the Falcon

It annoys me to see articles by this journalist;

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...2414352948a1e4

He couldn't resist making a very one-sided 'special investigation' into governments few initiatives and support for local manufacturing and local jobs.

I'm sure the social economics of these packages were not as bad in the bigger picture. Other posts on here recently such as the discussion on 'Ford Thailand paying workers $6/hour' would in my view have been more relevant news material for this guy, if he wanted to make good articles.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Joshua Dowling again - 'Special Investigation' parting article for the Falcon

Don't see a problem with his post, just a statistical evaluation of money spent on car production over the years, who cares if it was right or wrong as it will be now consigned to history since car production is ending in this country.

Cash injection into the car industry was always politically controversial in my opinion.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 05:29 AM   #3
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Joshua Dowling again - 'Special Investigation' parting article for the Falcon

He has it in for Falcon always had. This is tacky and poor taste. I'm ashamed to be in the same profession as this person..

Why do you think comments are disabled in all of his articles? He wrote this in 2013, got roasted in the comments, wrote a "poor me I'm true blue I love falcons don't blame me" article then Lo and behold you couldn't comment anymore.

Last edited by FalconXV; 07-10-2016 at 05:42 AM.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #4
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agreed, it is a chickenshjt write up. Selective not balanced.
It did not include the $ per car on Falcons other than LPG and Ecoboost 4 cyl.
Nothing on the Commodore either. It just selected the worst.
This was cobbled up while Joshua Dowling was on the bog.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Go easy on poor ole Joshua, he's just following the corporate line at his prestigious place of employment.

A News Corp Special Invesitgation!

It's pretty obvious the Ecoboost Falcon was a bad idea but the timing of this article is just opportunistic.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 11:09 AM   #6
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M View Post
Agreed, it is a chickenshjt write up. Selective not balanced.
It did not include the $ per car on Falcons other than LPG and Ecoboost 4 cyl.
Nothing on the Commodore either. It just selected the worst.
This was cobbled up while Joshua Dowling was on the bog.
Agree, also Dowling is the result of being on the bog
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 AM   #7
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Agree, also Dowling is the result of being on the bog
He probably has to mark himself with chalk every time he goes to the bog, to make sure the right one comes back.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #8
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Don't see a problem with his post, just a statistical evaluation of money spent on car production over the years, who cares if it was right or wrong as it will be now consigned to history since car production is ending in this country.

Cash injection into the car industry was always politically controversial in my opinion.
Unfortunately he fails to mention the amount of money Ford Australia spent on everything from raw materials procurement, R&D, to staff wages. It runs into the billions. I don't have exact numbers.

But for example, GM Holden received $2.17 Billion in taxpayer subsidies in the period 2000-2012. However, there was very little comment on the fact that in the same period, Holden spent $32.7 Billion dollars in Australia – everything from parts, to salaries, and everything in between. That cash flow isn't going to return to the national economy overnight.

That's not to say the car makers should be given a blank cheque, but there has been no balance in all the carryon about "rent seeking carmakers", led by people like Dowling and the trash he writes.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #9
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
It annoys me to see articles by this journalist;

http://www.news.com.au/technology/in...2414352948a1e4

He couldn't resist making a very one-sided 'special investigation' into governments few initiatives and support for local manufacturing and local jobs.

I'm sure the social economics of these packages were not as bad in the bigger picture. Other posts on here recently such as the discussion on 'Ford Thailand paying workers $6/hour' would in my view have been more relevant news material for this guy, if he wanted to make good articles.
What sort of jerk would think up a headline like that on a day like this?

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 05:21 PM   #10
wozman

He is a flog
wozman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #11
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

That heading was so incongruous to the article its not funny. That was no mistake.... Shows his class.... He should retire now.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 PM   #12
Rastas

Dowling in my book is the lowest of the low - I prey I never meet him for real as I don't wish to go to jail.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2016, 09:57 PM   #13
robertjp

Read this and thought I'd link here. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...441.12127/full

Bit long, but I believe a way forward.
May require the re-imposition of non-tarriff barriers, not sure how Thailand would react.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 10:51 AM   #14
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp View Post
Read this and thought I'd link here. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...441.12127/full

Bit long, but I believe a way forward.
May require the re-imposition of non-tarriff barriers, not sure how Thailand would react.
G'day ....Thanks for posting this...I read a lot of it and it shows how successive governments , Labor and Liberal alike , just had it's mits all over the car industry..
.They were claiming to be the 'white knights' baling out the manufacturers and yet at the same time reducing tariffs and import duties drastically all the time.. There's one thing about politicians making local cars accountable re quality control etc through competition by reducing import restrictions but how is that a reality when the same muppets in Canberra start allowing those imports to arrive from essentially Third World countries that pay minimal wages and such...It beggars belief..
Then come the almighty Free Trade Agreements that make us a laughing stock throughout Asia... FTA's will make us a basket case before much longer.

Totally different cultures and infrastructure bases CANNOT allow for fairness in FTA's..so Australia will become the raw resources supply point ie bauxite/ore ..and we buy it back in vehicles , household goods , electronics , etc.. What happens when these mining resources run out...and they will...
They'll wipe us like a dirty bum..
The car industry is a really tangible" tip of the iceberg warning ".

We HAVE TO get smart and get bloody tough before it's all too late and instead of pandering to China , Korea , Thailand and who knows who else our weak as **** politicians have to demand long term outcomes for what little manufacturing we still have left...not caving in like they do now..
Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-10-2016, 01:38 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Have a read of this, even the Prime Minister snubbed Holden in exchange for BMWs for the fleet:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...9bb-1475976705

Then they tried to claim Holden didn't put in a tender.

Maybe something to do with this?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...9bb-1475977103

With 'friends' like these, who needs enemies?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: