Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 08-11-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
WagonWheel

Default RACQ Inspection - won't do compression test or transmission oil check

Vehicle is a 2010 Ford Mondeo LX MC wagon (2.3 Duratec engine) - under 100,000 kms.

Need some advice. RACQ inspection said 'a relative compression test on this vehicle cannot be electronically represented due to the engine electronic management design ... '

Is a compression test to check cylinders, valves, piston rings etc., basically to test the health of the engine?

Is it true that you can't do a compression test on these cars? Are there any alternate tests?

RACQ also said the transmission oil was 'not checked due to manufacturers design'.

So how do you the check the transmission oil? Or is it sealed unit or something?

Changing from drive to reverse and back is nice and smooth - no real delay or big clunks.
WagonWheel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:13 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: RACQ Inspection - won't do compression test or transmission oil check

Yes, a compression test measures the health of each cylinder, as you suggested.

It can be done electronically (via a relative compression test), or with a mechanical gauge - a compression tester.

A relative compression test uses a lab scope (ie. oscilloscope) and an amp clamp to get a (pretty good) estimate of the compression values for each cylinder. The amp clamp goes around the battery cable that leads to the starter motor, and uses the current draw of the starter motor to give the estimated compression value for each cylinder.

All you need to do is disable the fuel system, or similar, so that the engine does not actually start when performing the test.

Even if you can't do a relative compression test, you could always do a mechanical compression test as a backup.

And sorry but I am unsure about the transmission question - I am unsure about the various transmissions on these cars.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
WagonWheel

Default Re: RACQ Inspection - won't do compression test or transmission oil check

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord View Post
Yes, a compression test measures the health of each cylinder, as you suggested.

It can be done electronically (via a relative compression test), or with a mechanical gauge - a compression tester.
Hey, thanks, I thought they could do that sort of test, but wasn't sure. I'll find out if I can get one done.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:51 PM   #4
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it's a Powershift dual clutch transmission check the 60000km service was done at a Ford dealer. If so and drives with seamless changes not much to be learned from the fluid without a complete drain and inspection of the oil and filter. I don't know about the other transmission, Durashift is it?

In any case a TCM diagnostic scan might be a good idea.

The fluid level in the Powershift can be checked but it must be raised and level and requires topping up as part of the level check, which has to be done at a certain temperature and by following a set procedure. In other words, the owner will not be able to check the transmission fluid level unless a DIY enthusiast.

Last edited by rondeo; 08-11-2016 at 06:08 PM.
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2016, 06:05 PM   #5
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
If it's a Powershift dual clutch transmission check the 60000km service was done at a Ford dealer. If so and drives with seamless changes not much to be learned without a complete drain and inspection of the oil and filter. I don't know about the other transmission, Durashift is it?
Yep, it's a Durashift 2.3L, 6-speed automatic powertrain. It drives nicely and has plenty of power for me. Smooth gear changes. I don't know much about transmissions really and rely on RACQ to let me know of any problems. They didn't mention any transmission problems other than saying they couldn't check the oil.

Not sure what a TCM scan is, but the diagnostic scan under the heading of 'Engine' has a tick.

Last edited by WagonWheel; 08-11-2016 at 06:08 PM. Reason: forgot something, so rectifying
Old 09-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #6
Mondaveo

Some modern automatic gearboxes are marketed as "sealed for life" and requiring no maintenance (where "life" typically means 10 years). Dry-clutch Powershift is actually one of those, said to have a 10yr/150,000mi lifespan before you need to change the lubricant.

Do you have the service booklet? If so check the servicing schedule for how often the transmission fluid needs changing. If it's a really long interval then RACQ probably didn't want to break the "lifetime" seal. Even if it's a shorter regular interval (like every two years or four years) they may have chosen not to check it if they didn't have the right stuff on hand to put back in. Or maybe by "manufacturer's design" they mean you have to perform a full fluid change service, which you haven't authorised just for a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeo View Post
Like 'Mondeo' is possibly Latin for gearbox anxiety.
Mondaveo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM   #7
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.3 has a 6-speed Aisin automatic, not a Powershift. The box doesn't have a dipstick and the oil level plug is difficult to get to without removing the air filter housing.

Unlike the Powershift, this box is reliable, so should be fine if it drives well. The ATF should be changed at 100,000 km.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2016, 10:34 AM   #8
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondaveo View Post
Some modern automatic gearboxes are marketed as "sealed for life" and requiring no maintenance (where "life" typically means 10 years). Dry-clutch Powershift is actually one of those, said to have a 10yr/150,000mi lifespan before you need to change the lubricant.

Do you have the service booklet? If so check the servicing schedule for how often the transmission fluid needs changing. If it's a really long interval then RACQ probably didn't want to break the "lifetime" seal. Even if it's a shorter regular interval (like every two years or four years) they may have chosen not to check it if they didn't have the right stuff on hand to put back in. Or maybe by "manufacturer's design" they mean you have to perform a full fluid change service, which you haven't authorised just for a check.
That makes sense. Thanks, I appreciate your help.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 AM   #9
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
The 2.3 has a 6-speed Aisin automatic, not a Powershift. The box doesn't have a dipstick and the oil level plug is difficult to get to without removing the air filter housing.

Unlike the Powershift, this box is reliable, so should be fine if it drives well. The ATF should be changed at 100,000 km.

Thanks for that. I appreciate your help. It's all making sense now.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:16 AM   #10
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a few interesting things about the 2.3 engine. It's basically the same as the 2.3 in the original Mazda 6, but made by Ford. It has a cam chain, so no belt to change. The valve clearances are set for life when the engine is made.

The drivetrain is a bit sluggish at low revs in the higher gears. But if you put the auto in Sport mode, and "give it some jandal" (Kiwi saying), it gets the job done.

Old 09-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
rondeo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Powershift transmissions have been faultless for 150000 km each. The main failure seems to me FoMoCo, who or whatever that may be.

Fairer to say perhaps, Powershift is more likely to have expensive problems, based on the experience of some on this forum. But the complete picture is not available. So if you are a proud owner of a 2.3 l duratec with an Aisin transmission and live in Flatland, you can rest and be happy without exceeding 2000 rpm. Insert smile here, not the rolling one.

Last edited by rondeo; 09-11-2016 at 12:49 PM. Reason: correction
rondeo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #12
WagonWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6 View Post
There's a few interesting things about the 2.3 engine. It's basically the same as the 2.3 in the original Mazda 6, but made by Ford. It has a cam chain, so no belt to change. The valve clearances are set for life when the engine is made.

The drivetrain is a bit sluggish at low revs in the higher gears. But if you put the auto in Sport mode, and "give it some jandal" (Kiwi saying), it gets the job done.

Yeah, I believe it's the same motor in the Ford Escape (starting in 2008) as well, but the Ford Escape has a different transmission. It doesn't have quite as much power as the Mondeo apparently. I think the Escape is a bit heavier.