Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-05-2017, 05:31 PM   #1
amanda_renee
Starter Motor

Unhappy 2008 Ford Focus CL LT Auto, Strange Noise

Ok so recently, I've had the entire radiator replaced as they told me it was full of oil and coolant etc. The car has supposedly been serviced as it hit 100,000 kms

This car has unfortunately only been a problem for me, recently it has started making a strange noise, I cannot describe what it sounds like so that's why I decided to make a new thread. I've been putting in 98 fuel for a few months now after always putting in 95. the sound seems to be coming form the engine as far as I know, I started the car today before work and thought the sound had gone but after a minute or so it eventually started making the strange noise again. I've also had the car start and then die, that problem went away for a bit but came back a few weeks ago and hasn't done it again so I don't know what that is either.

I'll provide two videos as I can't describe the sound sorry, thank you foe any help and to anyone who reads all of that text above.

Video 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1vTFYamoM

Video 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydLAnNM2TFM
amanda_renee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: 2008 Ford Focus CL LT Auto, Strange Noise

Welcome to the forums.

I honestly can't tell you what that noise is based on those videos, I would only be guessing.

As for the radiator though, that is really concerning. The radiator SHOULD be full of coolant, but definitely not contain any oil. Did they tell you how much oil was in there?

If it was engine oil, that could be a major issue, and it points towards a blown head gasket or a cracked engine block or cylinder head.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2017, 02:33 PM   #3
amanda_renee
Starter Motor

Yeah they told me it had oil in the radiator and they replaced it and did a radiator flush (not sure if that's what it's called but they basically tried to clean everything out best they could) and what do I need to look for to see if it's a blown head gasket etc? This morning I started the car and it seemed as if the noise was gone but after a few minutes I heard the noise gradually build up and get louder, it is a very loud noise and I don't know if it's something normal. I can hear it while driving with the drivers side window down as well, if I'm honest I don't think the car was looked after its whole life, the paint is fading and after a month of owning the car the heater core broke
amanda_renee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2017, 11:08 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Honestly, it would be best to take your car to a workshop and get them to look over it.

There's a number of tests for a blown head gasket, including compression testing, chemical testing, etc. What I would want to be knowing is how oil ended up in your cooling system, radiator and potentially that heater core that failed as well.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post