Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-02-2018, 04:02 AM   #1
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Road Trip USA – by an Aussie Ford man in a Ford car!

Posted the first album on the Mondeo forum recently, as our rental car was a Ford Fusion, the USA version of the Mondeo.
In September 2016 my wife and I had a great drive across Northern USA and into Canada in a Fusion Titanium rental car. Basically we drove across from Seattle to Boston, mainly via Interstate Route 90, with detours to Yellowstone National Park, Indianapolis, Detroit (Dearborn) then a huge detour Northwards to Prince Edward Island, with a 2 day drive back down to Boston to drop off the rental car. A fantastic road trip for a Ford man. Thought some of you might like a few of our photos, the album in the first link is specially selected for the Fusion pics, from the hundreds we took on the 8,600km road trip (in 23 days).

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qgHCkiYWKu10o0oi2
Note the photos are titled with a brief description (click on the pic for full screen).

Detailed photo albums (in the order we drove through):

Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks, Wyoming.
https://goo.gl/photos/D5CWtGVJDnnR95TQ9
Two days drive from Seattle we reach Yellowstone NP, there for 2 days including Grand Teton NP, and exit Yellowstone via the Beartooth Pass, a winding road climb to 10900 ft, the Ford Fusion was great to drive on that road.

John Deere Tractor & Engine Museum, Waterloo, Iowa.
https://goo.gl/photos/kmrKetC2SZaoWGaD8
This happened to be on our route – why not stay overnight in Waterloo, Iowa?

Indianapolis Speedway & Hall of Fame Museum
https://goo.gl/photos/BLGhx1afHqc5AosYA
Made sure we got there on a day we could do a lap in a tour bus. A great museum.

The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, Detroit.
https://goo.gl/photos/x9Dh4RmAaC4Txgsb6
Only had one day here, needs at least 2 days. We did the Ford Rouge plant factory tour, where they assemble the F150 – the aluminium bodied model we don’t see in Australia. Then the Henry Ford Museum – not just cars, but aircraft and general USA history. A bit of a bucket list for me was the Le Mans winning GT Mk4 on display.

Greenfield Village at Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn.
https://goo.gl/photos/9JZQ5Ccwc8y3LQCU8
This little known place is fantastic. On 80 acres, from 1929 Henry Ford began collecting significant historical buildings from around the USA, and relocating them all into this village. The Wright brothers home, Thomas Edison’s laboratory, are examples. We sat on a park bench with Model T’s driving people around the streets.

Anne of Green Gables – Prince Edward Island.
https://goo.gl/photos/QWpP3EmHhY1LNyuS9
This might be for the ladies of the family. It was my wife’s life-long destination – the home of Anne of Green Gables. PEI is a long way from anywhere, but a great drive to get there. Of course, the books are fiction, but based on the authors life on PEI, and the places in the books are real.

Some other observations about the trip:

Car-type comments:
Seattle - lots of older, less well kept cars in the city, notably many Subarus all the way across Washington state, they have a good reputation in the winter, and Toyotas everywhere. Very few luxury cars spotted. Was told that as we headed East we would see more US made cars and that was correct, especially once we got across to Illinois and Michigan. After we returned to the West coast in Vancouver, North of the border, was amazed to see so many newish Mercs, BMWs and Porsches, at least around the city. (We flew back from Boston to Vancouver after the road trip).

Fuel Octane ratings - first time I pulled up for fuel (see photo), had to think a bit about what to put in a turbo car, as 91 was the highest octane. Was assured that was OK, and later checked myself (Google) and found a cross-ref chart in which 91 (US) is approx 96RON (Aust) so was relieved with that. Did see 93 at one stop. Note the octane rating method in the photo, just above the octane number.

Roads - I am happy cruising on highways, and the Interstate 90 route has 80 MPH (about 130 km/hr) limits in Montana and Wyoming, but mostly about same as Aust with 60-65 MPH limits.
There was a fantastic drive out of the North-East entrance of Yellowstone NP, high winding road climbing to over 10,000 ft through the Beartooth Pass, and then descending back down to the road heading towards Billings.

Rules - before I left I checked for different rules, the main ones being 4-way Stop signs (lovely), and stopping for School buses, much like we do for Melbourne trams - but also if you are coming the other way! Also that you are required to move to the outside lane when passing an emergency vehicle stopped in the emergency lane on highways. Not to mention, of course, the first time driving on the "other" side - in at the deep end, I picked up the car in downtown Seattle.

If you read this far – thanks – and hope you enjoyed the photos.
2016 SZ Territory TX 4.0 Petrol (6th & last?)(Sadly, written off)
2004 WRX (Retirement Toy)
5thFordWA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Default Re: Road Trip USA – by an Aussie Ford man in a Ford car!

Great pics thanks for sharing!
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thank for sharing and and just wondering if any Aussie made falcon in ford museum and also Ford Fusion look like copy of ford falcon

cheers
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
Swordie

Id like to visit Ford museum plus go to Detroit. I like all the American cars, for example Chevy, Ford and Crysler. I own both Holden and Ford at home. Im just a car guy.

I visited Hawaii in November. There were many Japanese and Korean cars. I hired a V8 Camaro. I really enjoyed driving this car. It had a better sound stock than local late model Holden V8s. I had allot of fun visiting the car dealers. There was a Dodge Demon in the show room for USD 90k. The guys at dealer were quite willing to ship if for me.

The U.S is great place to drive around and see cars.

I enjoyed looking at your pics. Looks like you had a fantastic trip.

Last edited by Swordie; 13-02-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolly47 View Post
also Ford Fusion look like copy of ford falcon
Should have gone to Specsavers.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #6
5thFordWA

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Thank for sharing and and just wondering if any Aussie made falcon in ford museum and also Ford Fusion look like copy of ford falcon
cheers
I don't remember any Aussie Fords in the museum, and I have checked through all my photos - but there were many cars I didn't photograph.

Yes, I agree the Fusion has similar lines to an FG Falcon, but in fact it is exactly the same as a Mondeo, it is the USA version of that car, so a bit smaller than Falcon. Ford cars often have very similar lines, wherever they are built, because that's the style the head office has chosen for that year, I guess.

Cheers.
Old 13-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #7
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Thanks for sharing the photos and experiences!
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #8
5thFordWA

I should add, that the tour of the Rouge assembly plant was great, surprisingly my wife said she could have stayed longer watching the F150s being assembled. Unfortunately, no photos were allowed in the factory, except the one in the foyer, which is a bit dark. The other pics were taken at the observation deck before entering the main plant through the overhead walkway - see photo.
The USA built F150 was very interesting, it has an all alloy body (well about 95%) including the cab and tray body, and looked a good size vehicle - I believe not scheduled for Australia as it would compete with Ranger/Everest.

In order, the photos are: the bus which drops us at the plant, 2 of the main plant (with living green roof and walls for energy preservation), a F150 on display in the foyer, an employee car park (the close one if you drive a Ford, the farther one if you don't - haha - they say it makes a big difference in the winter), and the F150 mini-test track where every vehicle off the line is driven up and down a track with bumps, etc, as a final quality check (that's them either side of the yellow wall).

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 13-02-2018 at 10:40 PM.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:45 PM   #9
5thFordWA

In the main post I omitted a photo - repeated here for info, WITH photo.
Fuel Octane ratings - first time I pulled up for fuel (see photo), had to think a bit about what to put in a turbo car, as 91 was the highest octane. Was assured that was OK, and later checked myself (Google) and found a cross-ref chart in which 91 (US) is approx 96RON (Aust) so was relieved with that. Did see 93 at one stop. Note the octane rating method in the photo, just above the octane number.

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 25-09-2018 at 01:37 AM.
Old 13-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #10
5thFordWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thFordWA View Post
I should add, that the tour of the Rouge assembly plant was great, surprisingly my wife said she could have stayed longer watching the F150s being assembled. Unfortunately, no photos were allowed in the factory, except the one in the foyer, which is a bit dark. The other pics were taken at the observation deck before entering the main plant through the overhead walkway - see photo.
The USA built F150 was very interesting, it has an all alloy body (well about 95%) including the cab and tray body, and looked a good size vehicle - I believe not scheduled for Australia as it would compete with Ranger/Everest.

In order, the photos are: the bus which drops us at the plant, 2 of the main plant (with living green roof and walls for energy preservation), a F150 on display in the foyer, an employee car park (the close one if you drive a Ford, the farther one if you don't - haha - they say it makes a big difference in the winter), and the F150 mini-test track where every vehicle off the line is driven up and down a track with bumps, etc, as a final quality check (that's them either side of the yellow wall).
Sorry, photos added here:

Last edited by 5thFordWA; 23-07-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 14-02-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Nice trip, I recognised a few places. Detroit was an interesting place to visit (in summer!), some parts had a strange vibe but we had no issues. The Motown and old Ford Model T factory museum (http://www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org/) are worth a visit, as is a tour of the GM headquarters - which were originally the Ford headquarters! The view from the 72nd (?) floor is great.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 07:55 PM   #12
5thFordWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute View Post
Nice trip, I recognised a few places. Detroit was an interesting place to visit (in summer!), some parts had a strange vibe but we had no issues. The Motown and old Ford Model T factory museum (http://www.fordpiquetteavenueplant.org/) are worth a visit, as is a tour of the GM headquarters - which were originally the Ford headquarters! The view from the 72nd (?) floor is great.
Yes, I could spend a bit of time in Detroit quite easily. We were just travelling through and made a 2 night stop so we had all day at the Henry Ford museum, but it wasn't enough even for that, once we did the factory tour as well.
Normal people just wouldn't understand why we would prefer going to somewhere like Detroit, than going to Paris (and we've been there) - haha.
Old 14-02-2018, 08:59 PM   #13
Bolly47
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Should have gone to Specsavers.
I don't think so It mostly ford head office Boss should have gone Specsavers as Aussie falcon and Territory vehicle and barra engine are one the best design is made by in Australia workers as USA Ford Bosses didnt want to see Aussie made ford export to USA or other country Also Spesavers is own by USA company as stupid yank lifesaver save the Leopard seal seen on TV ad

Anyway still enjoyed the photos in usa
Bolly47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 09:30 PM   #14
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
I don't think so It mostly ford head office Boss should have gone Specsavers as Aussie falcon and Territory vehicle and barra engine are one the best design is made by in Australia workers as USA Ford Bosses didnt want to see Aussie made ford export to USA or other country Also Spesavers is own by USA company as stupid yank lifesaver save the Leopard seal seen on TV ad

Last edited by Mont5.0; 14-02-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Mont5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2018, 10:41 PM   #15
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:

Come again!
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Try some commas and full stops so we can follow what you are saying.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 03:24 PM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

cheers
I concur with 5th FordWA.
I was at the HF Museum last Nov, not one of our Fords unless I was blind but I'm sure not.
Which is quite interesting why not ? for as mentioned the HF Museum has all kinds of significant parts of history over the decades that was important to he acquiring locomotives/steam this steam that/even some GM cars/a classic pristine early Beetle in black to the first brick size mobile to HF venture into aviation so you get the drift.
So you got to wonder why wouldn't there be any history of Ford vehicles made by plants owned in other countries specifically FoA special Falcons, a Terri, a ute or 1tonner etcetc......

By the way nice trip mate - I've been going to the USA for 20+yrs due to business, some trips have the time to drive around some not, had the wife with me last few times and after business its another week to here or there.
Easy place to get around.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2018, 05:10 PM   #18
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I concur with 5th FordWA.
I was at the HF Museum last Nov, not one of our Fords unless I was blind but I'm sure not.
Which is quite interesting why not ? for as mentioned the HF Museum has all kinds of significant parts of history over the decades that was important to he acquiring locomotives/steam this steam that/even some GM cars/a classic pristine early Beetle in black to the first brick size mobile to HF venture into aviation so you get the drift.
So you got to wonder why wouldn't there be any history of Ford vehicles made by plants owned in other countries specifically FoA special Falcons, a Terri, a ute or 1tonner etcetc......

By the way nice trip mate - I've been going to the USA for 20+yrs due to business, some trips have the time to drive around some not, had the wife with me last few times and after business its another week to here or there.
Easy place to get around.
They seem to be pretty well focussed on US history, rather than Ford.

5thFordWA, I think we had 5 days in Detroit which included the Motor Muster car show at the Greenfield Village. As well as the other sights mentioned we also did a general drive around the city, rode the People Mover monorail and went out to Belle Isle where they run the IMSA races. We also saw a Nascar race at Michigan International Speedway (back in the days when Ambrose was racing).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post