Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Default Woolies and Coles withdraw sale items.

Have a look on line for specials, woolies have 36 items, 32 are chocolate. If this isn’t a blatant money grab what is.
Let’s kick em while their down....

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 02:40 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Woolies and Coles withdraw sale items.

? what Kick em while they are down? mate, they are doing thier best in difficult times to just try and keep up with the demand thrown upon them. Coles donating an extra 1 Million a week into supporting those in need with food, probably all others doing similar?

And plenty of other non-confectionary items on special last night when I was instore?
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

There were a lot more specials at 6:00 this morning. Odd.

Given Easter festivities are basically canned, I think they’re dumping stock to create storage space for other items.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #4
MustangStevo63

The petrol companies are the ones that deserve the kicking , pricing is outraegous
MustangStevo63 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 04:56 PM   #5
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC View Post
? what Kick em while they are down? mate, they are doing thier best in difficult times to just try and keep up with the demand thrown upon them. Coles donating an extra 1 Million a week into supporting those in need with food, probably all others doing similar?

And plenty of other non-confectionary items on special last night when I was instore?
Coles and Woolies are taking a substantial profit out of our current climate. Regardless of employing more casual staff to fill the shelves to meet the demands, they're the ones benefiting from this. The only time they're not is when something isn't on the shelf. Its the frontline staff who are met with additional pressures. Taking down sale items to increase profits is untimely and unethical.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 05:05 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just tried to sign up my 83 year old Mum onto Coles on line for food oredering and get delivered.
There were very few items listed, and after we'd completed our list they said they are not doing deliveries at this time.
So I'm guessing the online store has not been updated in a while hence limited stock.
Old 25-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #7
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Online isn't available currently while ****wits are hoarding.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 05:06 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

The bit grating with me, is the complete disappearance of some good value items. Eg, the “Essentials” pasta varieties. Recently went from 65¢ to 89¢ in tandem with the matching Aldi products, then were shopped off the shelves a fortnight back, now despite assurances of ample local product we are offered only Italian made pasta at $2/500g - take it or leave it. 225% of the other (oddly unavailable) item’s price.
Old 25-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #9
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
The bit grating with me, is the complete disappearance of some good value items. Eg, the “Essentials” pasta varieties. Recently went from 65¢ to 89¢ in tandem with the matching Aldi products, then were shopped off the shelves a fortnight back, now despite assurances of ample local product we are offered only Italian made pasta at $2/500g - take it or leave it. 225% of the other (oddly unavailable) item’s price.
The cynic in me wonders if once this has all passed that the pasta that was $0.65 and went up to $0.89 only comes down to say $0.79.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 06:38 PM   #10
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I purchased two pizza bases on Sunday at Bakers Delight.

A month ago, these cost about $4.20.

On Sunday, $9.40.

Shameful gouging and will never see my money ever again.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 07:15 PM   #11
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:

“Kick em while their down” refers to the hundreds of thousands that are lining up for Centrelink payments wondering where their next meal is coming from. Sure they’ve helped during tough times, none more so than the recent fires that devastated the eastern coast of Australia. With the amount of profits made by the big 2, taking staple foods of the specials list while those that can are out there shopping with what they have left, IMHO it’s a kick in the guts.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 07:22 PM   #12
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I purchased two pizza bases on Sunday at Bakers Delight.

A month ago, these cost about $4.20.

On Sunday, $9.40.

Shameful gouging and will never see my money ever again.
If you can get hold of some flour you can make your own large pizza bases for about 25-50 cents each. The price will change depending what you put on top of it. Takes about 15 minutes to make a batch, but from 2 hours to 5 days to proof - depending on what you want.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2020, 07:24 PM   #13
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
taking staple foods of the specials list while those that can are out there shopping with what they have left, IMHO it’s a kick in the guts.
Fair enough buddy, just I am not seeing this as I still see staples still on special and mixed where they can be. So if you are seeing it then yes that would be a bad thing and hope that it gets better if so.

At best I am seeing that things are slowly returning to normal given the rush on everything, most if not all people are nice and understanding and that together we can all pull through these times.
Old 25-03-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Specials are organised months in advance and take time to flow through warehouse systems. There is nothing normal about the current supply chain situation. But surely they must be price gouging.
Suppliers need time to manufacture and distribute product, but, will they have production staff or truck drivers available next week? Who knows, none of this is normal.
If you don’t like it, then set up your own super market and deal with the lack of supply and hoarding whack jobs. Careful, you’ll be accused of price gouging at some point :/

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #15
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Aldi is where it's at, haven't had a single issue with not being able to get what I normally would. They also have kept their fruit and veg prices normal, literally the only ones in Australia who have.
Old 25-03-2020, 10:39 PM   #16
JAYMZ
My Deception

Promotional lines have been removed due to inconsistent supply of stock to the stores. There is no shortage of stock, DC's currently running 10x over capacity, plus not enough trucks to deliver the volume to stores is why you see inconsistent stock on show.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 10:42 PM   #17
JAYMZ
My Deception

Also Pasta prices increased in January due to the lack of wheat available created by drought conditions in growing regions over the past 12 months.
JAYMZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 25-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That was my understanding at the time, I hoped the increase flowed on appropriately. 65¢ was so cheap for good quality food, it barely seemed respected for what it was.

Fordo, not the story of Aldi stock around my way (say, from Parramatta to Mt Kuringai).
Old 26-03-2020, 01:05 AM   #19
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73 4V XB View Post
“Kick em while their down” refers to the hundreds of thousands that are lining up for Centrelink payments wondering where their next meal is coming from. Sure they’ve helped during tough times, none more so than the recent fires that devastated the eastern coast of Australia. With the amount of profits made by the big 2, taking staple foods of the specials list while those that can are out there shopping with what they have left, IMHO it’s a kick in the guts.
You're thinking wrongly, most of the essentials are available in home brand packaging and those products are never on sale anyway.

The specials were normally the more expensive brand stuff that the manufacturer had to be OK with. They can hardly make manufacturers eat the loss of a sale price when they know the shelves are bare and coles/woolworths are going buy anyway!
Most of the stuff that was a bargain in the weekly sales were overpriced name brands and junk or luxury frozen heat and eat meals.
Hoarders are going to buy anything up, and doubly so if it's on sale!

I miss my coles homebrand pasta (69c and better than woolworths). My kid likes the small spirals best. I miss my homebrand coles rice (better than woolworths less starch needs to be rinsed and soaked off). Tinned tomatoes too a little bit more flavour than ww. They are 3 of the reasons why I go to coles, sales or not.

But woolworths better for eggs, flat bread (local lebanese bakery supplies us) and a couple of other things, regardless of sale or not.

But to reiterate - name brands on sale at coles/woolworths were those supermarkets forcing a lower price on suppliers to pay for the sale! That's why home brands were never on sale and why they never knocked much off certain items in the past. So what you're complaining about is why suppliers who need to keep jobs aren't cutting costs to coles or woolworths. Why aren't the supermarkets continuing in bullying suppliers?

Last edited by oldel; 26-03-2020 at 01:15 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 01:51 AM   #20
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems to me coles and woolies have both used this as the perfect opportunity to cut the hours of the stores.
Ie less overtime. Especially since the overtime rates now are based on how early or late the shift is.

Local Coles now opens two hours later and shuts fours hours earlier.
Woolies is similar.

They claim its so they have time to restock, which is rubbish because everyday there is less and less in the stores. I haven't seen extra on the shelves since this began.

I havnt seen toilet paper in either for nearly a month.
You occasionally see people on Facebook mentioning that they now have toilet paper and post up a photo of just a pallet worth.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 02:03 AM   #21
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would they have had all the employment ads for staff if that was the case?

I went to my local woolworths and they had restocked beans and canned veg already. Still not much pasta, and no rice, flour, sugar, noodles and TP but probably because they've been cleared out already.
Like been said before I don't think the deliveries to the actual stores are happening fast enough, and it's take what they get. You get a truck full of stuff that isn't the stuff I mentioned before - you still take it and stock that even if it's ketchup and deodorant etc!

E: hours are less here too, but it's 8pm instead or 9pm. In the morning they open 1 hour later I think, but it's pensioners only.

I got toilet paper from aldi today. I've been looking for it for 3 weeks and all the coles and woolworths I go to (there's 3ea*) still don't have it. I've had to stretch 2 rolls for 3 weeks. Drink a lot and eat less so I need less

*local big shopping centre coles or woolworths still have none. Local small shopping centre coles and other small centre woolworths still have none.

Coles near my kids school still have none, w/w near my exs house have none - all these (6) places I've been checking every second day for weeks.

Regular IGAs and spudshed I check once a week didn't on tues last I checked.

Last edited by oldel; 26-03-2020 at 02:14 AM.
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 07:27 AM   #22
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They’ve got Tasmanian Heritage Brie and Camembert style cheeses on special presently. These are made without animal rennet, so are notionally a true “vegetarian” product. Awesome in toasties.
Old 26-03-2020, 08:44 AM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There's a video from yesterday of a coles express in Sydney that got what looked like a dozen pallets of toilet paper just delivered. It was stacked 2m high out in the forecourt.
There was no 1 or 2 pack limit as everyone was seen taking whatever their car could take.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 11:40 AM   #24
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Supermarket specials are organised and paid for by the manufacturer or supplier not the supermarkets.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 12:41 PM   #25
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Seems to me coles and woolies have both used this as the perfect opportunity to cut the hours of the stores.
Ie less overtime. Especially since the overtime rates now are based on how early or late the shift is.

Local Coles now opens two hours later and shuts fours hours earlier.
Woolies is similar.

They claim its so they have time to restock, which is rubbish because everyday there is less and less in the stores. I haven't seen extra on the shelves since this began.

I havnt seen toilet paper in either for nearly a month.
You occasionally see people on Facebook mentioning that they now have toilet paper and post up a photo of just a pallet worth.
If you were on the front lines with all of this you would not be saying that and you would understand the countless hours and effort everybody is putting in behind the scenes to make this work as best it can for everybody.

(and yes speaking from the front lines here)
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2020, 02:35 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I got a txt from the fiancee this morning - OMG we have toilet paper. First time we have been able to buy some in over a month.

WTF is the world coming to when you are celebrating getting bloody toilet paper. Somehow these hoarding morons think they will suddenly run out of this first, when most people easily have a month or so supply at their house ffs. Surely they would run out of food before TP?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #27
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I got a txt from the fiancee this morning - OMG we have toilet paper. First time we have been able to buy some in over a month.

WTF is the world coming to when you are celebrating getting bloody toilet paper. Somehow these hoarding morons think they will suddenly run out of this first, when most people easily have a month or so supply at their house ffs. Surely they would run out of food before TP?
Old 26-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #28
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post

Unfortunately most people get their news from the Herald Sun or Channel 7 and 9. And the way they have hyped all of this up it’s no wonder everyone panicked.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-03-2020, 08:15 PM   #29
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those shopping at coles, you can expect the next change to be that you will need to pack your own bags as one of the new measures coming into play.
Old 26-03-2020, 08:42 PM   #30
CJR09
RPO 77

Quote:
For those shopping at coles, you can expect the next change to be that you will need to pack your own bags as one of the new measures coming into play.

The reported viability of it on differing substrates is really quite shocking, easy to see how effective it spreads

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ages-groceries

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...=featured_home

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Last edited by CJR09; 26-03-2020 at 08:53 PM.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: