Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-06-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Manual Downshifting on Auto

Today, I was approching a roundabout and downshifted to second and then to first, but when it hit first, the rears locked up, and the back started drifting out. I only got it going again by giving it some foot which got the rear wheels rolling again.

The rtoad was dry, I had already been driving for over 30 mins (so tyres were warm), and they have plenty of tread... Has anyone else had this in the dry?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
janek
Ripping it up

you just kicked it down too early mate... the BTR 4 speeds are a little wierd on quick gear changes
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:12 AM   #3
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds to me like compression lockup i think. if i ever down shift it to first, i try not to do it above 60km/h just to be safe. how fast were you going when this happened?
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #4
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

i downshift all the time and am yet to have a compression lockup, thats a weird one considering how long the BTR first speed is.

Then again the BTR's are a funny box.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 12:59 PM   #5
AUIIForte

Does sound like you where driving abit fast... Ive swtiched into 1st fron 'D' while going at about 70km/h by accident (meaning to hit second), but the wheels still didnt lock up, so im thinking that you must have been going abit too fast...
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I was already in second approching a round about while lightly applying the brakes... down to first and lockup... i may have been going a bit fast for 1st, but def not more then 70....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 27-06-2006, 02:13 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I only downshift to 1st if under 40km/h (and that would be maximum) .... only times I do it is under heavy load ... or towing and having to come to a stop ... just so i don't overload my brakes.

Any higher speeds than that ... and your gearbox will have a premature death.

Also when downshifting ... i do it smoothly ... nothing quick ... and i make sure revs aren't high either.

Be kind to your transmission ... and it will be kind to you (ie: will not cack it's pants and leave you with frigging expensive repair bill).
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 02:30 PM   #8
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I thought down shiffting in these auto's were BADDDDDDDDDDD.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It is .... but if you have to ... do it nice and gently.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 02:50 PM   #10
NEG
Diabolus

yeh what Mechan1k said.

iv changed into 1st doing about 50 and nearly hit my head on the steering wheel. I would rather replace brake pads a little sooner than have to get the tranny rebuilt.
also with the comment about tyres being warm, steet tires arnt the same as racing tires they dont gain grip as they warm up. Normal street driving wouldnt 'warm' them up anyway.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEG
yeh what Mechan1k said.

iv changed into 1st doing about 50 and nearly hit my head on the steering wheel. I would rather replace brake pads a little sooner than have to get the tranny rebuilt.
also with the comment about tyres being warm, steet tires arnt the same as racing tires they dont gain grip as they warm up. Normal street driving wouldnt 'warm' them up anyway.
Compared to straight out of the carport in Canberra -2 weather... yes, the tyres were actually warmer then when I firt stated the car... anyways... no more downchanging to 1st for me then...

Old 27-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #12
The Monty
Just slidin'

Yeah I only downshift under 60. Anything over that and things get too fun. Especially in the wet.
Old 27-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

If the AU BTR is anything like the s-series (which it is) then you must be REALLY keen to shift down into 1st???

Did it a couple of times at around 40. You know when you do something to a car and you can tell the car really didnt like it? Well... that was one of those things. IMO 1st gear in pretty much any car is too short to be selecting in "normal" driving. - from a beautiful 4 speed AU to a ratty manual datsun...

You can generally tell with these boxes when they're not happy about something the operator has done. If it feels good, do it. If it doesnt... then dont. lol.
Old 27-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I must addmit I have downshifted but only to 2nd never to 1st, and if I do have to go to 1st it's only when the vehicle is nearly at a complete stop, not at any great speed.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #15
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Compression lockup .. lol , yeah good way to crack ya head on the windscreen / head-but it ..lol , I've done it in the past too ..lol . And yeah as Mechanic mentioned you will kill the tranny kicking it back like that !, according to most manuals/handbook specs for most trannys you especially shouldn't even be shifting down from second to first manually, unless towing and it is absolutelly required ( to get up a hill or something with a heavy load ).
But im not saying don't do it ! , just try to keep the revs lower when changing back , so at least then you'll get a bit more problemless life out of the auto . Even constantly shifting back the auto to first gear to slow down around 45kmph and above is gonna trash it in a pretty short time , give or take the odd few 'freak' auto's that never seem to give-up ! ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #16
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Lol I'm not going all out to test if mine's a freak auto or not.

But yeah, some keen manual action auto shifting driving going on here...
Old 27-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

You know how these commodores work you up when your driving to work....

Old 27-06-2006, 10:07 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
You know how these commodores work you up when your driving to work....

Hehehe , sure do ;) .

Just to mention too , heavy braking at high speeds with majorly front biased brakes can cause the butt of the car to lift a bit and the nose to dip / causing the rear wheels to loose traction on the road and the rear brakes lock ;) .

Old 27-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #19
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I was already in second approching a round about while lightly applying the brakes... down to first and lockup... i may have been going a bit fast for 1st, but def not more then 70....
As others have said, you slammed it down to soon, and by what you have written, way to soon but all good, when and if needing to slam to first, not as above where your lightly on the brakes = no, you would need to be slamming them on hard before even thinking of going to first, even then as you say you were nearing a roundabout, the time to hit first would be when coming out of the roundabout i.e foot of brake, slam first, foot to floor.

timing but you will get there, and yes this all happens in the saftey of a track enviroment :
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #20
SVR73
Mr Polish

AU's really hate being above 30 when going back to 1st
have had two of em and I downshift always, all other gears are fine but whenever you go into first too early, the trans/diff clunks
I shift down to first at no more than 20 and with accellerator off and it's fine
Did it in the forte a few too many times and fortunate to not damage the tranny
Old 28-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVR73
AU's really hate being above 30 when going back to 1st
have had two of em and I downshift always, all other gears are fine but whenever you go into first too early, the trans/diff clunks
I shift down to first at no more than 20 and with accellerator off and it's fine
Did it in the forte a few too many times and fortunate to not damage the tranny
Same here. I down shoft all the time, but only ever as far as 2. the car sorts itself out if it wants to shift all the way down to 1 - and being an eight, it does it more often than not when accelerating hard from a slowish speed (up to about 50). I do use first off the lights though, and when I want to hear that glorious V8 burble on throttle down.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 06:57 AM   #22
The Monty
Just slidin'

I find if you dont want the gears to clunk while downshifting, you have to release the brakes at the time of the shift. I never get a clunk except if Im on the brakes at the time of the shift. It still feels as if you are braking, as the engine takes over the braking for a sec, so its still a continuos brake, but without the clunk.
Old 29-06-2006, 07:13 AM   #23
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I down shift mine to frist all the time. I found that if your going to fast it will not change down untill it reachs the correct speed even if i put the selecter in frist.
Old 29-06-2006, 12:34 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
I down shift mine to frist all the time. I found that if your going to fast it will not change down untill it reachs the correct speed even if i put the selecter in frist.
Yep, that's the in-built safety for the auto trans. After getting mine rebuilt 12 months or so ago, the trnasmission guys recommended not to downshift to first manually. They said second's OK, but first tends to wear faster if you do that. They did say that selecting first for a standing start is fine - just upshift before you hit the rev limiter.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 01:24 PM   #25
sednwol

Quote:
Pardon my ignorance but does the XR8 have the same box?
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2006, 05:07 PM   #26
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Thats the same for any auto really , if your going way to fast for first gear then drop it back to first gear then it will hold off until it is within the max rev range of first gear, then just about throw you through the windscreen when it does drop to first gear near redline ! / and prolly get the rear end lockup for a split second ..lol . Not good for the tranny , or yourself / whip-lash ..hahaha

Old 29-06-2006, 05:28 PM   #27
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I always downshift however only to first when really slow 30km/h or less, normally less, if i need to take off it will kick down by itself at those speeds. If im having a run from the lights i will only change when basically completely stopped, then change up when i hear the ***** scream, oh i mean before redline.... haha, have only ever had the rear end lock up from downshifting and that was in the old ea, somehow when i slipped it back a gear it jumped a little to far (Worn Gates didnt always need to press the button) and hit first at about 95Km/h, *** end went out a bit, but i soon hit the breaks pretty hard to pull her up so she wasnt having an internal hemrage for to long. But that box was pretty ****ty anyways, would drop into second very very hard and chirp the rears all the time, with no shift kit installed, and soon enough it died, chewed the hell out of itself.

Cheers.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post