Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-08-2006, 05:04 PM   #1
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Which laptop specs for graphics work?

Work is soon to provide me with a new laptop for work.

I do a bit of graphics work (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator), so I want to make sure I get a machine thats gonna be able to handle those sort of files as well as multiple applications. I'll be going for 2gb of RAM, but I was wondering which processor is best. I've heard a bit about the new Dual Core chips - do I just go for as fast a chip as possible within budget? Anything else I should consider (graphics card/screen size & res/etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by FASTXR; 04-08-2006 at 05:39 PM.
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #2
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Work is soon to provide me with a new laptop for work.

I do a bit of graphics work (InDesign/Photoshop/Illustrator), so I want to make sure I get a machine thats gonna be able to handle those sort of files as well as multiple applications. I'll be going for 2gb of RAM, but I was wondering which processor is best. I've heard a bit about the new Dual Core chips - do I just go for as fast a chip as possible within budget? Anything else I should consider (graphics card/screen size & res/etc).

Any advice would be appreciated.
You could go the XPS performance laptop (not that i know much about it)
The guys and girls here at work that do 4D mapping of geographical faults for oil and gas finding use Precision M65's & M90's...they all utilise dual core intel technology...have onboard 7800 Nividia graphics cards and 2 to 4 Gig of RAM...
For strictly graphics stuff, customise it to have a 7800 Card onboard, get your 2Gig of Ram and a 1.63Ghz Dual Core Intel and you cant go wrong. Get the 17" Screen...I would also recommend getting a second LCD like a 19" desktop screen for when your at home or whatever...Much better for graphic work...make sure it has a refresh rate atleast 8ms or lower
Old 04-08-2006, 08:10 PM   #3
Bluefreak

I wouldn't buy a Dell if you paid for it... We use only dell machines at work and they are simply a POS...

This makes for an interesting read also...
http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak
I wouldn't buy a Dell if you paid for it... We use only dell machines at work and they are simply a POS...

This makes for an interesting read also...
http://www.thisistrue.com/dellhell.html
Agreed..i wouldnt buy one either but he asked specifically about dell
Old 04-08-2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Bluefreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Agreed..i wouldnt buy one either but he asked specifically about dell
Yeah I know, just couldn't help putting them down... We have 40 odd desktops at work and the frequency with which they are carted out of offices to be repaired is scarey... The vast majority are used solely for checking company email and viewing MSDS's for the chemicals stored at work so it's not like they're driven that hard. The one in my office has been replaced, not repaired, twice this year... I seriously think he would be better off negotiating a build from a local reputable shop, at least when something breaks he's not looking at a 6-10 week turn around.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 11:18 PM   #6
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

yea
but a local reputable shop would have trouble keeping up with service demands if any hey...Dell have one thing down pat...excellent next day service and excellent infrastructure to ship those spare parts inbetween the HQ and service centre...we're using in excess of 500+ Dell Machines in The Australian Pacific Geomarket
Old 05-08-2006, 01:46 AM   #7
FASTXR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Actually, the laptop (my own) that I have at the moment is an Asus and I couldn't be happier. However, work wants to give me a new one and all our machines are Dells so I'm guessing thats what I'm going to get as well. I've heard the horror stories as well, so maybe I can present a case for a different machine...
I was also interested to hear general suggestions for a laptop that would be doing the kind of work I mentioned...
FASTXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 03:07 AM   #8
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
Actually, the laptop (my own) that I have at the moment is an Asus and I couldn't be happier. However, work wants to give me a new one and all our machines are Dells so I'm guessing thats what I'm going to get as well. I've heard the horror stories as well, so maybe I can present a case for a different machine...
I was also interested to hear general suggestions for a laptop that would be doing the kind of work I mentioned...
Good luck getting the machine you want...it wouldnt happen in my company...you can have any machine you want as long as its a Dell...or a Toshiba if your in Iran... :lookedat:
Old 05-08-2006, 12:56 PM   #9
turboute
turboute

I was looking at a Dell Latitude D820 Discrete to run solidworks.

Specified with
2 GB 667 mHz Ram (4 GB was an option)
2.16 Core Duo processor,
100GB 7200RPM HD,
512Mb (256 Onboard)Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M TurboCache Graphics Card a
nd a 15.4" Widescreen Monitor

Price was 3.8k

Best value for money IMO there is no direct 17" version of this though, unless you go up to a 5k+ system
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Slightly off topic, but I found this to be a humerous read:
http://gadgets.elliottback.com/2006/...g-dell-laptop/
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #11
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboute
I was looking at a Dell Latitude D820 Discrete to run solidworks.

Specified with
2 GB 667 mHz Ram (4 GB was an option)
2.16 Core Duo processor,
100GB 7200RPM HD,
512Mb (256 Onboard)Nvidia Quadro NVS 120M TurboCache Graphics Card a
nd a 15.4" Widescreen Monitor

Price was 3.8k

Best value for money IMO there is no direct 17" version of this though, unless you go up to a 5k+ system
ive seen Asus laptops cheaper and with the same or slightly better specs..
asus also come with 2 yr warranty

we have some model one and it *** all over the 3k toshiba laptop and its only $2300+

also with graphical uses like 3d/4d mapping, autocad, pro desktop, etc you wanna get the best quality possible... such as sata HDD's, DDR2 ram pref above 512mb and towards the 1gig-2gig ram, screens arent that big of an issue though some models have an anti-glare film over them that helps on the eyes, graphics card should be around the 256mb-512mb size so anything graphical does not need to use the computers ram or cpu to process stuff
gonna need a mouse cause i dont no a single person who could use the touchpad to draw...also gonna want to head in the Intel direction.. because its quiter, uses less battery and runs cooler than AMD which means longer life expectancy. wireless lan will come in handy, bluetooth is what most people use now...thats about it

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #12
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
yea
but a local reputable shop would have trouble keeping up with service demands if any hey...Dell have one thing down pat...excellent next day service and excellent infrastructure to ship those spare parts inbetween the HQ and service centre...we're using in excess of 500+ Dell Machines in The Australian Pacific Geomarket
"HUH"....."excellent next day service and excellent infrastructure", you got to be kidding, I work for a large Government dept who have a multi-million dollar contract with Dell to supply all laptops and desktops, we have around 5000 PC's on our site alone, when we have a problem with one of them we have to contact Dell's Global Call Centre.....in India!!,.... after much banging of our heads against our desks in complete and utter frustration they will eventually at least get the general idea of where Brisbane actually is and hence log a call with their local Australian repair contractor, (of which in our case there are 2 different companies), one of the contractors Technicians will then come and have a look at the problem, usually several days later (if were lucky!!), unfortunately the transcript of the what the actual problem is tends to get lost somewhere over the Pacific Ocean during the "excellent infrastructure" between Calcutta and our own fine shores and therefore the Technician turns up with a keyboard where in reality he should have brought perhaps a stick of RAM. In contrast we used to use a local Australian PC supplier for a number of years who had offices in all major capital cities and indeed was able to and did deliver genuine "next day service", but alas, the Government being....well...."the Government" went with the Multi-National to we have no doubt save a couple of dollars on each unit and hence make some Manager in the Corporate Purchasing dept look like the lost Messiah for five minutes and therefore get his next push up the Public Service ladder, remember of course that we are a large Government Dept holding a multi-million dollar contract over Dell's heads, so what chance the average Joe on the street buying just one PC for his/her own use......."good luck and may God be with you I say!!"
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote