Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #1
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Default Towing a trailer in NSW

G'day all, just a quick question. Does anyone know if there is a speed limit for towing a trailer in NSW. I do recall something as a learner, just spend ages on the RTA website and can't find a thing.

When towing a trailer i tend to do 10 to 20 k's under the speed limit, depending on conditions and the load, and how the car seems to be coping with the extra load.

A friend asked me this question today, and I thought, I don't know.

Cheers

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:12 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It used to be a maximum of 80km/h .... I checked not too long ago as I had a disagreement with someone about the speed limit in NSW ... and it has now changed to whatever the maximum signposted limit is on the road you are travelling.

So on the freeway you can do 110km/h.

It changed to this about 2 years ago ... I found a link on the NRMA website about it.

EDIT: I usually tow at the lower speed as well ... it depends on what I am towing ... but trying to maintain the speed limit with a horse float ... and two 400+kg horses on board ... that like to move a little bit ... it can get a little unnerving at times ... so i always tow under speed limit.

What annoys me though is inpatient people how love to overtake and cut in front after a traffic light has changed to Red ... I gotta then try and pull up without the horses losing their footing and falling in the float (have had a horse drop in a float ... bloody scarey ... and the horse is freaking out as well ... even scareier trying to calm them down).

Anyone with horses knows what I am talking about.

Although picked up a Falcon ute body on a car trailer about a month ago .... towed with the Territory ... didn't realise I had anything behind me on the freeway. Was effortless to tow with.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Ahhhh that makes sense..... I remembered the 80km/h bit, so it's changed to the posted speed limit, would explain why the RTA don't list anything. Thanks Simon.

Cheers

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Old 06-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

No probs ... I had to go searching for it myself ... cos I didn't believe the person I was arguing with ... I ended up with egg on my face ... how embarrasment ... LOL

Here's the details.
It's a fair way down the page:
http://www.mynrma.com.au/cc4_tow.asp
in WA it is a maximum of 100km/h though.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Thanks for the link

Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
peedee

If that was me mechan1k I would not call it a disagreement as my long term memory is getting better than my short term and years ago when I was towing for a living 80 was the limit but you did some research and I stand corrected, just like talking to missus even when I'm right I'm wrong
peter
peedee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 08:44 PM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I can't remember who it was that I had a "discussion" about towing ... it was a little while ago though ... and I thought it was 80km/h as well (our older car trailer we got rid of had an 80km/h maximum sticker on it).

I remember saying it was 80km/h ... and I found I was wrong ... hence I looked like a goose in that old thread ... :

Adrian ... hope that link helped ...as I had to have a read through it as well ... as there are some good pointers on the NRMA site
Old 06-06-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

Yeah I had a read through, they say if you have a roadside assistance package your trailer is covered aswell, I have the basic package with them & i'm sure the trailer wasn't covered. If you read through their packages it's only the premium package which offers trailer assistance.......a little misleading.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah I had a read through the different membership roadside policies ... which reminds me ... mine has lapsed and I need to renew it.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #10
jmc-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

What annoys me though is inpatient people how love to overtake and cut in front after a traffic light has changed to Red.

Tell me about it. We tow our race car to Wakefield a few times a year. The ammount of times on Pennat Hills Road jumping in front at the lights is crasy.

Lucky its got Power brakes. !!
jmc-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive done the horse thing and yea I know what your saying (was worse with the NC) but I find my boat (18" trailer sailer) worse to tow than the old Tuzza in fact I find the float empty its all over the shop, but stick a pair of 16 hand burnt out race horses in her and the BA just chuggs along beautifly
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
oyob2003

Hello mechan1k, I do believe it was me you were having a disagreement with, I know what you are saying about the NRMA, but they do not make the road rules. I think you will find that you can tow to the posted speed limit, but only if your tow weight is 750ks laden, over that weight you can only travell 80ks regardless of the posted speed limit. Can you imagine a boggy trailer carrying a 1,700 to 2,000kg car ect doing 110ks on a freeway and have to stop suddenly. That is why a lot of drivers curse drivers who are towing 20 to 25 meter long caravans sitting on 80ks and driving some high powered car.
oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2006, 05:51 PM   #13
oyob2003

Goose, no I do not think you looked like a goose as this is what the site is all about helping members with information to help them if they are not sure of a certain things, the weights and towing speeds as said in my above post may have changed, and if they have I would be quite happy for another member to correct me. Tomorrow I am going to ring the RTA to find out for certain because this is getting a bit confusing.
oyob2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #14
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Yeah thanks for that ... would be good to know more about it.

I know i can get to the speed ... but having to pull up in an emergency with that load on ... is a totally different story.

But I know if I am floating horses ... I hate going anything over a max of 80km/h anyway.

But if it's a car trailer with rubbish on it ... or as a picked up a Falcon ute tub a little while ago ... I have managed to easily get to the signposted limit (and over on the odd occasion).

I find the Territory was too quiet on the freeway ... and I forgot I had a car trailer behind me ... although I only had about 300kg load on the trailer and is was tied down well. No sway ... no clunks ... no rattles ... I made sure I used cruise control on flats though so i didn't creep over the limit.
Old 18-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyob2003
Hello mechan1k, I do believe it was me you were having a disagreement with, I know what you are saying about the NRMA, but they do not make the road rules. I think you will find that you can tow to the posted speed limit, but only if your tow weight is 750ks laden, over that weight you can only travell 80ks regardless of the posted speed limit. Can you imagine a boggy trailer carrying a 1,700 to 2,000kg car ect doing 110ks on a freeway and have to stop suddenly. That is why a lot of drivers curse drivers who are towing 20 to 25 meter long caravans sitting on 80ks and driving some high powered car.
The law was anything over 750Kg was limited to 80Km/h. That was changed to 100Km/h.

I hope you actually meant 20-25 feet caravans. 20 metres is longer than a semi trailer. ;)
Old 12-09-2006, 02:25 PM   #16
GOF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When towing the max load Ford specify 80ks max with a sliding scale as the load reduces, check out your owner manual.
GOF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post