Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 09-09-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
Aranthi
BGDAV

Default AU VCT engine, what kinda power?

hey guys im lookin at puttin an AU VCT (xr6 engine) into my XF, i was wondering how much power do they put out from the normal 175 of a normal AU 6 engine?

Old 09-09-2006, 01:05 AM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Normal AU Engine = 157kw
VCT = 172kw
HP = ~165kw

Something like that.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:26 AM   #3
stiddy
Banned

Although the VCT have a touch more power, I'd personally go for the HP motor.. easier/cheaper(more aftermarket support over the VCT) to mod which gives respectable gains..
Having said that, the VCT are a good motor, and the aftermarket support is starting for them now..
Theres not much between them performance wise, stock.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 04:27 PM   #4
Aranthi
BGDAV

thanks guys, much apprecaited, certainly makes my decision easyer now its gonna b legal to run
Old 09-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG
Normal AU Engine = 157kw
VCT = 172kw
HP = ~165kw

Something like that.
Intech OHC = 157kw
Intech OHC (XR) = 164kw
Intech VCT (Ghia) = 168kw
Intech VCT (XR) = 172kw
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Although the VCT have a touch more power, I'd personally go for the HP motor.. easier/cheaper(more aftermarket support over the VCT) to mod which gives respectable gains..
Runs and hides in fear of Casper's Wrath.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
stiddy
Banned

Hahaha, me and Casper see eye to eye, I wouldnt be suprised if he actually agreed with me..
Well he would of last year.. Im not so sure now that GnD have heaps of VCT aftermarket support..
Old 09-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Putting a VCT into an XF? What a hassle. Do the HP, much easier to get computer support as the VCT requires a modified EECV.

I agree with Stiddy.

Oh, but on the question of VCT power... I just run a 14.774 today into a 17kph+ headwind.. unopened.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Well done mate.. she's getting faster..
Thats an awesome result..
Old 09-09-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
Intech OHC = 157kw
Intech OHC (XR) = 164kw
Intech VCT (Ghia) = 168kw
Intech VCT (XR) = 172kw
I thought the VCT ghia was the same engine as the XR VCT (thus same kw at the engine), but had a quieter muffler put on, thus reducing power at the wheels by a few kw?...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2006, 09:30 PM   #11
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I thought the VCT ghia was the same engine as the XR VCT (thus same kw at the engine), but had a quieter muffler put on, thus reducing power at the wheels by a few kw?...
This is correct... however the Ghia also did get a less aggressive (more ****) tune then the XR as well which would see the loss of a few of those missing 4kw's.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Putting a VCT into an XF? What a hassle. Do the HP, much easier to get computer support as the VCT requires a modified EECV.

I agree with Stiddy.

Oh, but on the question of VCT power... I just run a 14.774 today into a 17kph+ headwind.. unopened.
As good as 14.77 is even with a headwind the mph tells more about the power of the eningine.

The 14.77 is achieveable only with the gearing 4.11 and hi stall converter to keep the engine working in its max power band for the whole qtr.

VCT engines are the best AU engine for sure but peak power wise you can get just as much from any modded AU. What the VCT does give you is a broader power band. for a street auto thats worth more than peak power.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2006, 11:44 AM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
As good as 14.77 is even with a headwind the mph tells more about the power of the eningine.

The 14.77 is achieveable only with the gearing 4.11 and hi stall converter to keep the engine working in its max power band for the whole qtr.

VCT engines are the best AU engine for sure but peak power wise you can get just as much from any modded AU. What the VCT does give you is a broader power band. for a street auto thats worth more than peak power.
The car is totally unopened and still running the stock cam dialin from the factory. Power is only about 135rwkw at the moment.
Personally I dont give a lot of credability to any dyno numbers these days as they mean nothing in the real world. What does mean something is an ET. This time was set on street tyres (17" Bridgestones) and on its street tune. I also drive this car around town quite happily so its no "race special". Its a daily driver and, with the right gearing and setup (you forgot the suspension, thats set up to grip too) as well as the right tune, the VCT is certainly showing it has plenty of potential in stock form. Last time out was a 14.8@92mph.. nothing changed in the engine.

So is a VCT powerful? Well given 135rwkw unopened (that was done with 3.45 gearing too) is well up with a number of cammed cars and the ET it is setting now with the right setup is one of the fastest unopened times seen on and automatic.. I'd say the VCT's potential is there.

Want to see REAL power from an I6? Wait till I actually cam the thing! Then tell me "Nah, the VCT is crap" :

Last edited by Casper; 10-09-2006 at 12:09 PM.
Old 20-09-2006, 10:31 PM   #14
Aranthi
BGDAV

thanks for your posts guys much apprectiate, i was just wondering about what u said that i would need a modified EECV. for a VCT engine, with the E series engine im fairly sure if u put it on straight gas you dont need a computer, is that the same with the AU? ive been hearing that you do and you dont. if someone could clear that up would b awesome
Old 20-09-2006, 10:55 PM   #15
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

being that au's have coil pack ignition i'd say that you need a computer to run it...
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post