Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 30-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #1
kcbworth

Default Slimline Plates

Hey all,

I'm looking to get some personalised slimline plates while PPQ have the slimline back-and-front promotion going on.

However, i've just had a look at how my current plates are attached and it looks as if the dealer has had to drill new holes in somewhere in the centre of the plates. Now i figure i can do this as well to my personalised plates, but it seems stupid to damage my plates, especially if i want to put them on another car in the future.

How have you guys attached your plates? Did you have to drill in holes or am I missing something?

kcbworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #2
rider007

I've got QLD slimlines on my Focus and I had to drill some new holes in the middle . No big deal really. They do look good however they new focus does seem to be designed to hold the euro plate sizes, naturally.
Old 30-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #3
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Better off drilling holes in your plates than into metal body panels which will then rust. I could have killed the Ford dealer who drilled self tapping screws into my old Mondeo's boot lid instead of drilling holes into the plate to match with the boot's captive nuts. They did the same for the front bumper (luckily it was just into the plastic) but then managed to mount it 2cm off centre!?
Old 30-07-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
BlackLS

My dealer drilled the standard plates into the metal and front bumper, so I'm using them at the moment for my slimmies

But this an idea I had, Get some slim line plate protectors, they should have 2 brackets running down the middle of them, where you can drill a hold through and attach the plate protectors to the premade holes on the car.. Then put the protector's frame over and the frame hides the bracket. If not make some up brackets to "hug" the plates...

Just some ideas...
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2006, 07:20 PM   #5
kcbworth

Hmm some good ideas. Will have to go check out plate protectors later this week. I did have an idea to create a backing the same size as the plate, screw that into the existing holes, and screw the new plates on the backing. Could be difficult tho as I have absolutely no equipment or abilibity to do that. Ah well, will figure it out.
Old 30-08-2006, 08:30 AM   #6
Marshy79

Nah this is really no biggy.

Drill the holes in the middle of the plates so they fit into the existing mounting on the car.

Then later on if you want to put the plates on a new car go to Vicroads (or whomever you go to - its Vicroads here in vic) and request a new replacement set. Wont cost you much. Just say the olds ones are damaged and unreadable. If they want proof (they will want the old ones) just scuff them down with some sandpaper.

Easy done.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
kcbworth

Hey thanks mate excellent suggestion!!!

Does anyone know how much it costs to get plates replaced in QLD?
Old 30-09-2006, 09:28 AM   #8
theBlake

www.ppq.com.au
Old 01-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #9
kcbworth

haha thanks for that blake... was actually meaning to get personalised plates replaced if theyre damaged, havent been able to find it on that site.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:50 AM   #10
Marshy79

Just call your local ... ummm.... i dunno whats yours is called... ours is called Vicroads.
Otherwise give that mob a call. Should only take a few seconds for an answer
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post