Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #31
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
High diesel prices have killed any fuel economy benefits a TD Territory may deliver.

Petrol $1.05
Diesel $1.45.
Trust me, it's still cheaper to run a diesel car. LPG by far is the cheapest though.
Old 28-11-2008, 09:30 PM   #32
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Trust me, it's still cheaper to run a diesel car. LPG by far is the cheapest though.
It might work out maybe $5 cheaper per week, so many weeks do you think it will take to make back the higher purchase price, cause the Jag V6 ain't cheap. Ford have talked about it before and the diesel could be upto $5k more expensive. It may take 20 years to make the higher costs back in miniscule fuel savings.

GoAuto worked it out to be something like 17 years to make the money back about 2 months ago based on their assumed figures for a V6TD Territory Vs petrol.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 01:50 AM   #33
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This calculation though is based on petrol being a costant $1-ish per litre into the medium term future. I wouldn't think this will be the case.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #34
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
This calculation though is based on petrol being a costant $1-ish per litre into the medium term future. I wouldn't think this will be the case.
it cant be sustained at that rate... this is just a abnormal moment. Petrol will sky rocket (based even on the most conservative economic models) soon enough. Its just the commodities market has been hit very bad...

Its not if it will, but when...
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 08:39 AM   #35
prydey
Rob

petrol will go back up, yes, but has everyone forgotten that diesel also nearly nudged $2/Litre.

both fuels have come down, both will go back up.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 10:19 AM   #36
Busted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
The major pain in the backside is to make the Tezza run on gas the spare wheel has to go, so either a space saver or it will be placed on the liftgate. (yuk)
Not true The petrol tank on the Tezza is mid mounted and the spare is rear mounted. Ford don't do a duel fuel any more so the petrol tank could go an a gas tank would have some where to live.
Busted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 10:47 AM   #37
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Yes it is, but it all depends on whether you pay extra for the diesel engine and how many Kms you do a year.

The less you drive and the more you pay for the engine the less likely it is to actually save you money.

For example a Toyota Prado Petrol vs Diesel equates to the diesel model costing $10 a week less to repay, run, service, if you drive 15,000km a year. At current prices and assuming RRP for the cars and using the ADR combined cycles.

A Nissan Pathfinder petrol vs Diesel is something like $30 week cheaper to have the diesel because the diesel model cost less than the petrol one (auto standard).

On the other hand a Landcruiser 200 series is cheaper to run the petrol V8 for the first 5 years because of the $10,000 premium to buy the diesel. Based on 15,000km.

Then there are the cheaper servcing costs associated with diesel...
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 10:49 AM   #38
YOOT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
petrol will go back up, yes, but has everyone forgotten that diesel also nearly nudged $2/Litre.

both fuels have come down, both will go back up.
Yes but our incomes have only gone up, by the time petrol goes back up our incomes would have increased as well. So the cost of fuel based on the incomes will improve even if it goes back up.

Don't forget that buying a new car in the first place cost huge amounts of money, of people are worried about $20 a week, then it may be prudent to point out it would be cheaper to run a 600HP second hand XR6T than a brand new VW golf diesel.

People tend to forget about the purchase cost of the car compared to others.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #39
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
Yes but our incomes have only gone up, by the time petrol goes back up our incomes would have increased as well.
you obviously have a much more generous boss than me.

the average income as, as stated by the govt, keeps going up because all the fat cats get richer and drag up the average. most people i know are not getting more money, including myself and haven't for a good few years.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #40
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also find it hard to justify diesel for economic benefits now. I worked out it is cheaper to run a 6.8L V10 petrol F350 than a 6.4L diesel version. This is not counting maintenance costs, purchase price or any of that. Purely on fuel price and consumption. Remember Ford is working on unleaded engines that run efficiently like diesels. EcoBoost, and EcoBoost with ethanol injection. (Ethanol will act like a catalyst like LPG or Urea does in diesel engines, and will have a very slow burn rate). The purchase price will be about $700 over a regular version (not thousands as per diesels), and the price of fuel will just be unleaded price. Seeing how Ford Australia is keeping the 4.0, perhaps this technology will be added to that?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
Not true The petrol tank on the Tezza is mid mounted and the spare is rear mounted. Ford don't do a duel fuel any more so the petrol tank could go an a gas tank would have some where to live.
They looked at it and they would not have had room for the LPG tanks where the petrol tank is in the Territory. Gas tanks can only be certain shapes, whereas petrol tanks have more leeway in the shape. The LPG tanks also need to be bigger due to the increase in consumption as they have done in the LPG utes and wagons which have bigger tanks. I think the sedans do too but i'm not sure on that although i'd assume they are bigger than the petrol versions are.

Gobes is right, the spare wheel would need to be moved, which is why there is no LPG version of the Territory, although hopefully this may change come 2010 if the Falcon gets liquid LPG injection.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #42
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
They looked at it and they would not have had room for the LPG tanks where the petrol tank is in the Territory. Gas tanks can only be certain shapes, whereas petrol tanks have more leeway in the shape. The LPG tanks also need to be bigger due to the increase in consumption as they have done in the LPG utes and wagons which have bigger tanks. I think the sedans do too but i'm not sure on that although i'd assume they are bigger than the petrol versions are.

Gobes is right, the spare wheel would need to be moved, which is why there is no LPG version of the Territory, although hopefully this may change come 2010 if the Falcon gets liquid LPG injection.
You raised some very valid points Bossxr8. I think your last one is the key though. If they add liquid injection, then that reduced consumption to within 10% or thereabouts of petrol. An LPG tank could then be fitted and still have useful range of 400-600km.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post