Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM   #31
danv8

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetracer23
hey.. just wondering. with light modification eg. cold air intake, air filter, extractors etc which would go harder. a commodore vx s or a falcon el xr6
It really depends on the driver as well.
The commo might be a tad quicker off the line because of its gearing and quicker response. But the Falcon would just pass it to the end of the line because of its taller gearing and its extra torque. Its really asking which warhead lolly is stronger the sour or the hot ones.

Too many variables to actually get an accurate answer really.
danv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #32
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

mate, i'd say the XR6 ;) ... the Ford's are Built stronger and tuffer ... the Commodore's feel all slugish and like the trans is going to drop out if it's pushed above 3000rpm!!

if you want speed yeah go the EF, but the AU is quicker! i know you don't like the look! but there nt bad when they've been done up right! i'd say drive an EF XR6 and then go and drive an AU XR6 or Fairmont and then tell me which one you prefer! The AU is far quicker of the line and through the Gears!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
V3RSAC3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 08:18 PM   #33
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
I've beaten a VS V6 Ecotec with extractors, exhaust and SS intake with my bog stock standard AU Fairmont Ghia. Good result considering the Mont ways some 300 kilos more.

same, i've beaten my mates VZ with 80,000k'z on the clock, extractors, full exhaust and SS intake in my AU Monty when it was stock with 300,000k's on the clock ... got him going up onto the freeway upto 100k'z and i was about 2 /12 car lengths ahead! ... when i released my accelerator at 100, he just kept going and sped up the hill! so i turned around at the next exit and headed back towards Adelaide! also sat level with a BA XR6T and a worked VY SS all the way up to the lookout!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #34
20focus05
I wanna XR5

I've got an LS focus with only the second air box removed and it will surprise v6 commodore owners when taking off at the lights and keeps up for some time. Its funny to see them look across and you are still there!

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #35
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Its not fair to compare some peoples EF/ELs to other peoples cars as well.

Some people spend money and get good work done and there cars are quick.
Some other people cut corners and have smiler mods but no where as near as quick.

I like to hunt one car around town here .. a hero in a VX 5ltr with a big LSI EDIT sticker on the back window and HSV / B&M / Comp Cams stickers all over the place...

Sucks to be him .
Old 01-11-2007, 10:03 PM   #36
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd

Some other people cut corners and have smiler mods but no where as near as quick.

I like to hunt one car around town here .. a hero in a VX 5ltr with a big LSI EDIT sticker on the back window and HSV / B&M / Comp Cams stickers all over the place...

Sucks to be him .

LOL, i have a shed full of these stickers from my parts suppliers, all they do is attract the wrong attention.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #37
3vXT

Quote:

Sucks to be him .
5.7 litre?
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2007, 10:29 PM   #38
davidclough

get this just the other night my son and I were heading home from the city into the hills and just before the freeway we had a vy crewman ss trying to take us on (hehehe) then we hit the freeway and I was just sitting in behind him, all the time he was trying to shake me , then when we hit the incline just before the tunnells and were clear of other traffic i switched to the middle lane and well that was that, thing i find funny is how he could possibly think his heavy load of could go anywhere near my GT
davidclough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:09 AM   #39
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
also sat level with a BA XR6T and a worked VY SS all the way up to the lookout!
Fairly optimistic

Quote:
i'd say drive an EF XR6 and then go and drive an AU XR6 or Fairmont and then tell me which one you prefer! The AU is far quicker of the line and through the Gears!
I beg to differ. Similar power levels (AU more), AU weigh's more though. I think straight line would be side by side. Both have the same trans and similar gearing ...
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:28 AM   #40
streetracer23

does anyone know the 0-100 time of the au, el, ef xr6s?
streetracer23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 AM   #41
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan635
Fairly optimistic

I beg to differ. Similar power levels (AU more), AU weigh's more though. I think straight line would be side by side. Both have the same trans and similar gearing ...
it was caines XR6 and Dan's with the GT and F250's mate with that black VY??? ... we cruised up to the lookout one night!
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 02-11-2007, 09:01 AM   #42
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
same, i've beaten my mates VZ with 80,000k'z on the clock, extractors, full exhaust and SS intake in my AU Monty when it was stock with 300,000k's on the clock ... got him going up onto the freeway upto 100k'z and i was about 2 /12 car lengths ahead! ... when i released my accelerator at 100, he just kept going and sped up the hill! so i turned around at the next exit and headed back towards Adelaide! also sat level with a BA XR6T and a worked VY SS all the way up to the lookout!
Yeah a lot of people underestimate the grunt of the falcon six. Seeing that my first was a 1991 Ford Laser Ghia 1.8L that I used to rev the beejeezus out of I was a diehard supporter of the revs=power religion but driving the big 244ci has really changed my perspective.

Many people here would flame me for being full of crap but you wouldn't believe that I have cleaned up a WRX and a Nissan Silvia.

I think I must have caught the rex off boost or something because that thing just bogged down. The Silvia I hunted was in the mountains he probably just didn't have the torque to be on and off the throttle and I was pushing the Mont hard, my arms were aching afterwards it's a lot of weight to shift around.

If you want to get heaps of info including 0-100 and quarter mile times on every Falcon and Fairlane model made this is a really good site:

http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts/falcon/index.html

Others have mentioned it here but there really is a lot more to how fast a car is than the brochure. The Falcon can be quick but I have found in my AU that launch technique can mean the difference between 0-100 in 7.2 and 0-100 in 9.8.

Also never forget the importance of good maintenance. I go by the rule that I'm flogging my car so she gets an oil and filter change every 5000 kays. A lot of idiots buy a VN 5 litre and expect it to be fast but they never maintain it so it's an absolute dog. Japanese Imports are the same a Nissan Skyline with 200,000 kays on the clock probably spent most of it's life idling in Tokyo Traffic so in reality it has 800,000 on the clock.

Anyway here are the performance numbers from the site and some Commowhore info from this site: http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....1196484&page=2
I've included Commodore from VS-VX so you can see what I mean about a VS probably being faster than a VX.

Holden Commodore VS
Year of Introduction: Apr 1995
Engine: 3.8 litre EFI V6 ; 5.0 V8 EFI
Power: 145kW (V6) & 165kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed manual & 4 speed Turbohydramatic
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 8.9 seconds (V6) ; Standing 400 metres 16.3 seconds (V6)
Production: 277,774
Price: $26,780

Holden Commodore VT
Year of Introduction: Aug 1997
Engine: 3.8 litre ECOTEC EFI V6 ; 3.8 litre Supercharged V6 & 5.0 V8 EFI
Power: 147kW (V6) ; 171kW (Supercharged) & 179kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed Getrag manual & 4 speed Turbohydramatic
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 9.1 seconds (V6) ; Standing 400 metres 16.3 seconds (V6)
Production: 303,895
Price: $28,330 inc. GST
Wheels Car Of The Year 1998

Holden Commodore VX
Year of Introduction: Sep 2000
Engine: 3.8 litre ECOTEC EFI V6 ; 3.8 litre Supercharged V6 & 5.7 V8 EFI
Power: 152kW (V6) ; 171kW (Supercharged) & 225kW (V8)
Transmission: 5 speed Getrag manual & 4 speed Turbohydramatic
6 speed manual on SS sedan
Performance: 0 - 100 km/h 9.0 seconds (V6) ; Standing 400 metres 16.1 seconds (V6)
Production: 207,339
Price: $28,900

(Falcon Futura XR6, 4 speed auto)
Top speeds in gears
1st: 75km/h
2nd: 124km/h
3rd: 173km/h
4th: 220km/h
0-100km/h: 8.7 seconds
Standing 400m: 16.4 seconds

(Falcon XR6, 5 speed manual):
Top speeds in gears
1st: 57km/h
2nd: 94km/h
3rd: 144km/h
4th: 186km/h
5th: 225km/h
0-100km/h: 8.1 seconds
Standing 400m: 15.6 seconds
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 05:44 AM   #43
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sucks to be him .
haha that's this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OcM6D1WRFY

I reckon he got beat by a near stock VN that runs 9.0 1/8th miles , then again that's a good time for a almost stock LS1, My VP runs same times as the VN and is alOt faster than a stock XR6T, BA/F XR8. Even sneaked a couple of wins in over a Typhoon last meeting. Nothing new to you I'm sure since you car is faster than even the best stock 5 litre Commodores (can't break 9.0 too easy on the 1/8th it seems grrrrrr)

Last edited by greenfoam; 31-12-2007 at 05:50 AM.
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 06:02 AM   #44
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh yeah, all VX V8's are LS1's not Holden 5 litres

And EF 6 vs VX V6, they are both equally rubbish stock as far as straight line speed goes, but the EF has better go fast potential. The VX is better in other areas like being a nicer more modern car if you like that kind of thing
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #45
dave289
Banned

[ also sat level with a BA XR6T and a worked VY SS all the way up to the lookout![/QUOTE]

well i guess they were resting gently on there accelerator.cause if they wanted you would have been smoked sideways.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #46
Rob
Living the dream

I once overtook a Daewoo Matiz, the dude was running big block 800cc jap spec HKS/Spoon/Fork/Soupbowl motor, on the inside lane.

I have teh largest p3n1s.

True story, bruh.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post