Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-11-2005, 05:08 PM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOON69
i just bought me a TZR250 2 stroke yamahe got it locally but off ebay great first bike and good learners bike.
below is my bike bought it yesterday
No 2 stroke road bike is a good learners bike, RGV's are banned for learners in some states.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #32
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilch
Why not???
Because it doesnt hurt as much!

Ive been dirt bike riding a few times on weekend trips and I have come off several times cos Im a hack. :voldar02: The landing is no where near as hard as hitting the pavement. :

Plus you dont have to take on cars with your body.

Plus its really easy to come off in the bush, a stack on a dirt bike cant be compared to one on the road IMO as usually you are going faster and the ground/cars you hit are much harder on road.

Of course this changes depending on a lot of factors but out of the 30 or so times I came off the dirtbike at speeds up to 70-80kms in the bush none can compare to when I came off once on the highway.
Old 18-11-2005, 05:18 PM   #33
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I hear ya Dan, Pilch, go ride ya pushbike at 15kph and fall off on the road, then imagine that multiplied by 5.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:22 PM   #34
HOON69
Banned

changed me mind actually buy one of these
or one of these

both if left in gc do 80kmh or about 60kmh on a straight piece of road..

scooters rock
they are easy
cheap
and fuel prices well a tank would last you ages..
takes around 3-5 bucks to fill..
i can get a old scooter "JOG" in great condition for 300bucks very low klms too

BTW both can be found on ebay s/h from 1k to 2k depending on year etc
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #35
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

sorry guys, but I don't entirely agree. I agree on the gravel rash, and stacks being at higher speeds, plus on a road bike IF you crash it's more likely to be worse.... and your also more prone to a higher probability to accident's due to external variables (traffic).

But dirt bike stacks can be equally horrific, and I have seen and know of plenty which you quite simply can not better. The way I see it on a dirt bike your putting yourself at risk and you are in control of any outcomes..... on a roadie your mainly putting your life in the hands of other motorists.

*EDIT* so in conclusion a dirt bike stack should count :Reverend: if it is truly a "stack" of course.
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:48 PM   #36
max^power
Formerly au^ute

I had a bike before my ute. It was my only transport so i rode it rain, hail or shine... and you certainly remember the days it was hailing!

I had too many close encounters on my bike, that was my reason for selling it, and im actually in the market now for a dirt bike. If anything you'll learn alot from riding and your normal driving will improve!

Get a decent helmet, get a NEW ONE and make sure the visor closes fully. If it's second hand at all do not get it, they're dangerous. If the visor doesn't close fully, you'll get very sore eyes when it rains I went the composite helmet - plastic ones are no good, i bought the middle grade and paid alot for it (6-700 i think). Afterall the helmet is the most important part of your gear in an accident.

I'd love to get another road bike, but too many idiots on the road to risk it. I enjoyed it, and you will get more out of the experience than saving fuel money (which in my opinion will probably be spent on the services - they cost more than a car)
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 08:56 PM   #37
max^power
Formerly au^ute

You've got a point pilch, i know an idiot that rode his dirtbike drunk and without a helmet, it was in a paddock, but he hit a ditch and cracked his head open and broke his body up a bit. Serves him right really.

The other think with off road bikes, is you're only limited by your bike or the terrain. you dont have to worry about speed limits. If you are riding on a track or sand or something that's different. You can still do some nasty things on a bike, going slow doesn't stop something bad happening sooner or later!
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 09:00 PM   #38
XRQTOR
Banned

Was thinking the same thing, guy at work has a 2 month old WR45o and wanted to swap for a holden as he just had a kid. One of my mates said he'd sell his VN SS for $5,ooo so i took it to the guy at work and he was keen to swap then and there. Only problem is he owe's money agaisnt the bike and he cant swap. Other than an awsome deal like that i wouldn't actuall spend that sort of money on a bike.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #39
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

hmm some sound advice.

With regards to the scooter, nice Idea but I seriously could not see myself riding one, I mean I wouldn't call them ghey, but close.

A pushy will do the job, but does make it a bit more of a chore. Where I live at the moment the trip to uni is abut 10-15 k's one way. I know its not a big deal, but Im sure once I am used to it I would use the bike a bit more than just going there; perhaps.

Yeah while I understand that whether you crash on dirt or tarmac it does matter, its still going to hurt; tarmac has many other possiblities for something to go wrong.

AH! Head is saying no, heart is saying yes..lol
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 12:08 AM   #40
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Would be cheaper on parking/fuel/city link etc but insurance/servicing expensive and when you come off you will know it. Seen a few dead bike riders in my travels, yet to see a car victim, although they do exist. Stick to a car. Worst experience of my life, delivering a death message to parents and a 22 year old brother for a 29 year bloke who died after coming off his bike in 50 zone in Cragieburn. Was on his way down from Sydney to see ex and kid/family. Nothing serious, just came off, lost two cousins to the murderous things too.
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 12:24 AM   #41
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whatever you do Polyal just take it slow and learn on a small capacity(although they are still quick) bike first mate. My dumbarse mate decided it would be a great idea to buy a Ninja without a licence, insurance, rego, absolutely no riding experience whatsover apart from the day he got the bike. On the same day he bought it, he rode up from the otherside of town to come and see my mate and. He would of maybe going 40km/h at best when he came off.

The frigging bike slid across the road and nearly took me out. Dammit I was so wasted I only just got out of the way in time. Anyway he got up an was in a massive amount of pain for such a low speed. He even ripped "kevlar" reinforced jeans. To add insult to injury the bike p*ssed out fuel and oil everywhere. He was god damn lucky and I sure as hell won't be ever riding a bike ever after seeing that.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 12:40 AM   #42
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Polyal, I've been riding for too long to admit, and I ride just over 20k's each way to and from work. If I take the car, the trip might take up to 50-60mins in peak hour, the cost of either petrol or LPG is something I haven't calculated.

I got myself a good cruiser type bike, for less than 4G, it does about 17k's/litre, it's a 750cc V4 motor, At the moment, 12 bucks fuel will take me 200 kms. And my 50-60min ride is never more than 30 mins!
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #43
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

Dirt bike stacks can hurt heaps. When you build up your confidence on dirt bikes is when you get hurt. You start doing jumps, going to fast in the wrong places, then you come off badly, hit trees, fall in washouts, come off in mid air, etc. I havn't ridden a street bike, but when u see absolute fools driving in between cars on a 2 lane road, or pulling into a small space in between the front of truck and the car in front of it, you see how some of them get killed.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #44
HOON69
Banned

scooters might be gheyish but they are practical

cheap reliable and again cheap
less work less maintanance
and as its only 10-15k's it wouldnt be too bad..

i wouldnt ride it down to the shops etc but if i was only going to uni/school etc it'd be my preference for sure..
even smaller then a bike so them tight spots are easier to get through.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 01:55 AM   #45
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

scooters are gay, you wont get "the nod" from other bikers.
But to be honest it soudns like it suits your needs best.

My recommendation is to buy an RGV250 or better yet an RS250, damn those things are fun!
Just make sure youre fully kitted up as it can get loose easily.

I got the RS250 the other day and have to say theyre not too bad, they dont throw you into 200kmh+ territory at the twist of a throttle but htey go plenty hard enough, you still hang onto the handlebars for life at full throttle, good fun, good fun...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2005, 03:39 PM   #46
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
My recommendation is to buy an RGV250 or better yet an RS250, damn those things are fun!
LOL. Not for a learner!!!!
Those things are suicide machines! I would recommend life insurance before bike insurance for any of those two.

Polyal, just fit a a small petrol motor to your pushy.