Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #31
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Leaked order guide shows Ford Mustang will get 10-speed auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Oh no no no!!!!

Not progress!!!!!

How is doing something stupid "progress"?

Would putting a 200l fuel tank in a Mustang be progress?
What about a 10l V16 engine? or 30 inch wheels?
Heck, why don't we make it 10m long and include seating for 8.
Because according to you adding redundant rubbish just for the sake of a bigger number is "progress."
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 06:10 PM   #32
Strange1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
CVT's can't handle torque though. And they are rubbish anyway.
I hate CVT's, everything I've driven with them has made me want to drive into a tree.

The argument of "More is always better" would have to logically lead people to saying that a CVT would be best case.
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #33
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
If the engine had a power band of 1500rpm, then for sure +10 gears will do wonders. But the 5 litre V8 engine has a power band of several thousand rpm say 4000-5000rpm and plenty of TQ too... Not sure what advantage there is with 10 gears mated up with the V8 except for keeping up with the GM's.
Exactly my point suited to a diesel.

Ive driven the JGC SRT8 5 speed back to back with the newer 8 speed
5 speed pins you on the gear change, that feels lost on the 8 speed, though its quicker on paper.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 06:21 PM   #34
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

This is the same unit or version of the same unit that GM has now fitted to the ZL1 Camaro (Supercharged V8)..

This 10 speed auto has been in development for a little bit now and is actually a joint venture between Ford and GM, which really is a rare thing to occur, considering they are 2 brands that are normally at war with each other.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 06:27 PM   #35
GTMOND

If it were in a F series for towing ect I can see some validity in it. But IMO in a car with a broad power band with minimal weight to haul around, it just seems a bit excessive.
I have 18 gears in the truck I drive,but towing a b double you don't use them all.
GTMOND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 06:57 PM   #36
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy dazz View Post
how is doing something stupid "progress"?

Would putting a 200l fuel tank in a mustang be progress?
No, it would not, because it would be heavier, and take away valuable space in a sports vehicle with an engine economical enough to render such a fuel tank unnecessary

what about a 10l v16 engine? Or 30 inch wheels?
Because a 10l v16 would be an engine designed for generators, or one off exotica, and would in no way be able to be mass produced at a price point economical for a 2 door coupe when the use of such a presumably heavy engine would destroy the handling charateristics anyway.

heck, why don't we make it 10m long and include seating for 8.
Because then you'd have a novelty limousine for the salim mehajiar types to feature at weddings, no longer a sports car, or even a Mustang.

because according to you adding redundant rubbish just for the sake of a bigger number is "progress."
Wrong.
As you will have read (but sadly not taken in because presumably in your mind nobody requires anything more than the falcon offers), this 10 speed gearbox is slated to be lighter than the 6 speed, and all of those ratios have the nasty old side effect of keeping the engine spinning closer to its peak power and torque points for longer, meaning more economy, performance, and efficient delivery of power to the driveline.
Hardly "redundant rubbish"
Next.......
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 07:15 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Next.......
I don't think you took in the sarcasm.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 07:59 PM   #38
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
If it were in a F series for towing ect I can see some validity in it. But IMO in a car with a broad power band with minimal weight to haul around, it just seems a bit excessive.
I have 18 gears in the truck I drive,but towing a b double you don't use them all.
Like I already said, Ford aren't going to develop a gearbox specifically for Mustang.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #39
paulb351

The new F150 Raptor will showcase the new 10-speed already announced... It will end up in all large Fords (and GM as they jointly developed it to save costs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulb351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 08:21 PM   #40
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I don't think you took in the sarcasm.
sigh...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:34 PM   #41
CobraJet351

In all honesty I think 4 gears is enough for normal driving, possibly even 3. But I don't see anyone complaint about the ZF now. That was seen as excessive back then.

If they can make it work, drive well, improve performance and economy then why the hell wouldn't they do it. I'd sell it once it's out of warranty though...
CobraJet351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2016, 09:47 PM   #42
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

More complicated crap. Rife in all modern cars.

Which is why we have record recalls on so many makes and models these days.

Whatever, im 23 and im already a grumpy old man stuck in the past. Where things are simpler and cheaper and better in the long run.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2016, 10:22 PM   #43
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

Whatever, im 23 and im already a grumpy old man stuck in the past. Where things are simpler and cheaper and better in the long run.

Yep, back in my day too, 4,5 or 6 gears in a car is enough. I remember when cars had 2
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-07-2016, 10:03 AM   #44
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the same dinosaurs probably had a cry when they got told the powerglide was being replaced with a th350.
"Huuurrr a turbo 6 will never beat the XR8"
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #45
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd have to drive it before I could comment.

I figure when driving sedately it helps with the fuel economy, less revs and the like, but I'm guessing that when you punch it it's not using all the gears.

While I have ended up in an auto car, I thought if my manual had 6 gears, then so should my auto.

I'm guessing there's not a 10 speed manual gearbox coming, and I keep reading on here that real men really drive real cars with manuals, they don't just steer around an auto, so isn't everyone going to go for the manual in a Mustang anyhow?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 AM   #46
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sheeple probably thought the same thing when.. 3 on the tree was good enough.. why do we need 4 speed? Then heaven forbid 5 and 6 speed came out and have not seen anyone losing their minds...
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #47
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

I figure when driving sedately it helps with the fuel economy, less revs and the like, but I'm guessing that when you punch it it's not using all the gears.

While I have ended up in an auto car, I thought if my manual had 6 gears, then so should my auto.

I'm guessing there's not a 10 speed manual gearbox coming, and I keep reading on here that real men really drive real cars with manuals, they don't just steer around an auto, so isn't everyone going to go for the manual in a Mustang anyhow?
My guess is it'll either be programmed to skip gears during hard use - it'll clearly skip gears during light use - or they'll choose a rear axle ratio so that you're only cruising in 6th-8th on the highway
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2016, 11:37 AM   #48
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
My guess is it'll either be programmed to skip gears during hard use - it'll clearly skip gears during light use - or they'll choose a rear axle ratio so that you're only cruising in 6th-8th on the highway
From what i've read it's got 3 overdrive gears, which I guess could be somewhat useful on the highway.

I know when I go from 100 up to 110 I start using noticeably more fuel. Given it's a gearbox destined for a lot of their vehicles all over the world, where the speed limits range a fair bit, it doesn't surprise me that there's a couple extra gears we probably won't use outside of the NT.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 02:18 PM   #49
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much will also depend on what torque converters get paired with the different engines and vehicles.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 PM   #50
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...sion-revealed/
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 04:25 PM   #51
chopstar87
The Original ChopstaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post

Corvette and Porsche have now moved to 7 speed manuals.. manuals are starting to climb in gear # as well.

My 300c luxury as the 8 speed ZF Auto, paired with the 3.6 petrol V6. brilliant on the highway... does about 1250rpm at 105kms, which is massive help with the fuel been a the 2 tonne car (brick)... plus very smooth and is happy to go from 7 or 8th straight to 2nd/3rd with no issue at all.

1st to 2nd is at about 65km/h, 2nd to 3rd at 102kmh, 3rd-4th 140ish and 4-5 is at 195kmh. so even with 8 speed, the gears are spaced, the extra gears only really come in to play on the highway.

May 2006 – October 2006: 2002 Proton Persona
October 2006 – July 2013: 2004 BA Ford Falcon XR6 (Blueprint – 4 speed Auto – Premium Audio - No Tracton Control )
July 2013 - ???: 2013 Chrysler 300c Luxury (Bright white – Panoramic Sunroof – 19 speaker 900 watt Harmon/Kardon stereo)
November 2013 - ???: 2013 Ford Focus Sport (the missus's car, white, manual)
chopstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #52
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Porsche's 7 speed manual was just a variant of their 7 speed PDK. They went back to a 6 speed for the 911 R though, and that was a new gearbox too.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 PM   #53
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
And the same dinosaurs probably had a cry when they got told the powerglide was being replaced with a th350.
Haha turbo 6. I seem to remember the na 6 was beating the xr8.
Old 02-07-2016, 12:35 PM   #54
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
And the owners of ten speeds will be bleating when they pay thousands to diagnose/ repair/ overhaul their transmissions...nothing is free in this world. Any idea how many clutch frictions are in them? I'd say 80 as a starting point...just shred one and see what it will cost,plus the dramas of what else gets stuffed up while the trans is getting pulled,like I say nothing is free,great tech and enjoy it while it's working!! But the warranty will take care of it...suuuure. Great if you buy the car and run it for a few years and flip it....
A coyote with another 50 cubes and a wider torque band would be more fun in my book. Now if they made a 20 speed trans that's a whole different story,it must be twice as good as the boring old 10 speed.

Last edited by XByoot; 02-07-2016 at 01:02 PM.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 02:46 PM   #55
QIKESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
And the owners of ten speeds will be bleating when they pay thousands to diagnose/ repair/ overhaul their transmissions...nothing is free in this world.
I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading through this thread.

These autos might actually be the next best thing, performance and economy wise.

Generally though the more components used internally, and most of these internal parts come under "precision manufacturing" , the greater the repair cost when they eventually go bang.
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2016, 04:14 PM   #56
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by XByoot View Post
And the owners of ten speeds will be bleating when they pay thousands to diagnose/ repair/ overhaul their transmissions...nothing is free in this world. Any idea how many clutch frictions are in them? I'd say 80 as a starting point...just shred one and see what it will cost,plus the dramas of what else gets stuffed up while the trans is getting pulled,like I say nothing is free,great tech and enjoy it while it's working!! But the warranty will take care of it...suuuure. Great if you buy the car and run it for a few years and flip it....
A coyote with another 50 cubes and a wider torque band would be more fun in my book. Now if they made a 20 speed trans that's a whole different story,it must be twice as good as the boring old 10 speed.

Couldn't have said it better
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2016, 09:08 PM   #57
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Yep, back in my day too, 4,5 or 6 gears in a car is enough. I remember when cars had 2
Memories of the famous hydromatic.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:45 PM   #58
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIKESP View Post
I was just thinking the same thing as I was reading through this thread.

These autos might actually be the next best thing, performance and economy wise.

Generally though the more components used internally, and most of these internal parts come under "precision manufacturing" , the greater the repair cost when they eventually go bang.
The price does drop for repairs. Same as higher tech motors with more electronics. Or extra features people feel that they need.

At the end of the day car manufactures put stuff in cars that they feel will sell more units and meet government regulations.

If someone is worried about stuff like this then maybe buy an older car.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:06 AM   #59
Brodes
Brodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
CVT's can't handle torque though. And they are rubbish anyway.
A CVT is theoretically the perfect transmission concept if they weren't so horrible to drive (in my opinion). A 10 speed is another step closer to a CVT really, so many gear changes the engine speed has a narrower operating range, would almost feel & sound like a CVT. This being the case shouldn't they be throwing money at improving CVT power handing capabilities?
Old 03-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #60
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most 6 speeds still have a big gap between 1st and 2nd. You know it when you're already rolling, need to accelerate fairly quickly, struggles a little in 2nd up the hill, kick the accelerator down a little harder and you're at 4,000rpm+ in first. 10 speed is going to perform wonders, we are going to wonder how we got by with just 4 gears a few years ago.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post