Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #31
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Qld revenue camersa tolerance to drop to 3 kph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
But an hour or so outside of all the major cities and you have to wonder who they are trying to protect.
The treasury...
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
The treasury...
So as if having an economy that's falling apart isn't bad enough our states have moved to relying on an income as fickle as this? One which we all know doesn't add any significant safety and yet we all go along with it.

The answer is to simply not pay fines for such minor offences...if we all did what are they going to do.......
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 05:11 PM   #33
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
So as if having an economy that's falling apart isn't bad enough our states have moved to relying on an income as fickle as this? One which we all know doesn't add any significant safety and yet we all go along with it.

The answer is to simply not pay fines for such minor offences...if we all did what are they going to do.......
You might be on to something. Stopped paying fines years ago. No assets under my name, car regoed under an ABN, no fixed address, swapped licenses between states. Have not been barred entry/exit at immigration or passport confiscated, so I am guessing in the bigger scheme of things, speeding fines and traffic offences really are fickle.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 05:31 PM   #34
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Only once though, i would assume...
Yes at that spot. That's not to say it can't happen to anyone else, or me. Again.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
In essence I think it's BS.

I was in America recently and the shuttle bus driver transporting us between hotels was doing 80MPH (128kms an hour) on a 60MPH (97Kms an hour) stretch of freeway.

So I asked him what was up with that (As 30ks an hour is quite a jump)

He said "Look at the cars around us"

They were all doing about the same speed. Some doing a little more and less.

"If your doing 80 miles and so is everyone else, then your all good the cops don't mind. They won't write you up. If your doing 60 and everyone else is doing 80 they WILL write you up for not keeping with the flow. It's different in Australia isn't it?"

"Yep, if you go over by 1k in Australia you will certainly die"

He got a good laugh out of that.

I didn't like America, and there is a lot that that they can learn from Australia, but that is one thing we could learn from them.....
That's exactly what we found...and were shocked at...driving around Vegas and southern Nevada. Went onto the highway, set the cruise control carefully to 70mph...and then proceeded to be overtaken by everyone...little old ladies, trucks, cop cars, everyone. Wound the speed up to about 80 to 85mph, and sat there with all the other traffic, with a cop car in the next lane to us.
Later we got told as long as no one is driving like an idiot, they literally couldn't give a crap. Keeping the traffic flowing was the prime consideration. We also found the strip...with a 30mph limit...was actually more like 40 during the day when traffic flowed more freely.
Far more mature way to approach speed limits.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 06:20 PM   #36
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets clear some things up if your not using a digital speedo!.

Manufactures claim a 10% tolerance, this is usually placed on the less speed side but not always.

Any change to tyre profile can have you out by 5kmh, infact any change in tyre brand could do this also, any change in rim size and it could be out as much as 15kph.

tyre pressure? well you may joke but it could be 3kph.

Driver height, you may laugh but a short driver may see 3-5kph difference to a taller driver just thought the angle he is looking at from the needle to the face.

This 3kph is a joke, any look away from the dash and your breaking it, follow a cop and see if they break 3kph.

Also mathematically speaking 3kph over 100 kph is nothing, the same 3 kph over 50 kph is 50% more likely to happen due to percentages.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-11-2015, 08:42 PM   #37
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

A bit moar light hearted reading...

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11401712

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11401156
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 08:51 PM   #38
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Lets clear some things up if your not using a digital speedo!.

Manufactures claim a 10% tolerance, this is usually placed on the less speed side but not always.

Any change to tyre profile can have you out by 5kmh, infact any change in tyre brand could do this also, any change in rim size and it could be out as much as 15kph.

tyre pressure? well you may joke but it could be 3kph.

Driver height, you may laugh but a short driver may see 3-5kph difference to a taller driver just thought the angle he is looking at from the needle to the face.

This 3kph is a joke, any look away from the dash and your breaking it, follow a cop and see if they break 3kph.

Also mathematically speaking 3kph over 100 kph is nothing, the same 3 kph over 50 kph is 50% more likely to happen due to percentages.
Every car I've ever driven/owned has over estimated the speed by betweek 5-10 kph. Never driven a car that underestimates though.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #39
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best way to calculate your speed mathematically and to be very accurate is to measure the wheels and do some maths.

Measure the height of the wheels in inches, times that by 3.142 to get the rolling diameter, divide that by gear ratio ,both final and each gear is possible.

this gives you a MPH at 1000 revs, times that by 6 or whatever revs you want eg. 3.5 for 3500rpm.

This is old school and only done in imperial inches but easily converted to KPH by the 1.66 rule.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #40
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Don't try and confuse this for anything else than it is, revenue raising be it thru fines or income tax or GST. They do not care about safety or drivers not watching the road, it's just money. What if every time you got done for speeding you had to do a defensive driving course or take some unpaid community service. That's right they don't care if you repeatedly speed cause it's more money and that's the reason they do it. QLD is the most expensive place to live and now they want to add to this. I pay nearly $4000 a year for land rates with water and than its over $1000 a year to register a v8 and my house insurance is $3000 a year because I live in a Cyclone area. Now we have less weather problems than Brisbane and yet where stung with high insurance. QLD, beautiful one day, shafting you every way possible the next.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:38 PM   #41
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Or get a GPS...
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 10:06 PM   #42
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt it over 100 mill that police raise through speeding fines each year?, does that money go into road safety or victims of crime like bromwins chopper lift to safety?.
Old 29-11-2015, 10:20 PM   #43
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This latest speed reduction tolerance is nothing more than a blatant revenue raising at its best.
Good on ya, Premier Pallasha. Screwing over the average Queenslander.I definitely won't be voting Labour at the next election.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2015, 10:33 PM   #44
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint View Post
Best way to calculate your speed mathematically and to be very accurate is to measure the wheels and do some maths.
Or do it the lazy way like I do.

Analogue and digital at the same time, check them with GPS...99% correct

Sit back and relax
Old 29-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #45
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Sort of ***** you but when a car with cruise control will run past its set speed enough to get you a fine, but only on certain grades. They focus so much on speed and not enough on good observant driving which is the root of good driving. To me speed should be the 2nd thing you worry about besides watching your surroundings and oncoming cars. Driving on some of those motorways demands 100% focus on the road and surroundings with the odd glance at the speedo. They say reading texts is dangerous because it takes your eyes off the road, well so does looking at your speedo every 10 seconds
Old 30-11-2015, 12:57 AM   #46
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
All those driver who openly admit to having to stare at the speedo to maintain a legal road speed should really consider public transport for the safety of other road users.

Normal drivers can do this by simply scanning their instruments which you should be doing every few seconds, along with your mirrors, then scanning the road in front of you.

That way you can maintain a legal road speed and probably spot any cameras a few hundred metres before you get to them.

Like I have always said, the only people that get caught by these cameras are the ones speeding AND not paying attention to the road, a bad combination IMO.
why don't you try thinking for yourself instead of drinking the state government tax revenue cool-aid

I'm sure you're not as dim as you seem when you regurgitate the propaganda
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #47
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwant.com.au View Post
Victoria has had low tolerance for years. It's just frustrated drivers further so much that most spend more time looking at their speedo instead of the road!
you have evidence of this of course?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwant.com.au View Post
No evidence whatsoever that this has helped the road toll....
and you have evidence to back up your claim?
Old 30-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #48
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Love that you casually assume your speedo reads fast.

Up until 2006 the ADR's stated a cars speedo could read 10% plus OR minus. Since 2006 they are supposed to read fast so, allegedly, always safe as you say. But do you trust your licence on it?
If my pre-2006 car is booked for doing less than 10% over the limit, I should have a firm legal basis to just say to the cop "Here is the rego saying my car was built before 2006...I'm not paying", and that should be the end of it. Your car is calibrated to the standard of the day. No one books cars from the 1950's for not having seat belts, or cars made before 1976 for not having anti-pollution gear....they simply weren't fitted from the factory, but they met the standards at the time they were built. Why is the speedometer any different?

"Buy a GPS". Why should I have to? My car is factory fitted with a speed measuring device, and that should be all I have to worry about looking at. I had a cop once say to me it's up to you to make sure your vehicle is accurate, so "simply" go and get the speedo recalibrated. I asked him where would do this, and he had no idea. I rang the local VDO shop and asked them, and after some hesitation said they might be able to do it, but you would want to be sitting down when you got the price.

Tyre wear, tyre size, mechanical wear along the line from wheel to speedo, tyre pressures...there are a dozen reasons your speedo could be wrong.

Three KPH on most modern speedos is a needle width, your speed can vary more than that just driving along normally and trying to be legal.

And don't come with this crap about "if you can't judge your speed you shouldn't be driving" or "I can tell exactly how fast my car is going without looking at the speedo".
Sure you can. Even a world class racing driver wouldn't know to within a couple of k's either way exactly how fast they're going.

But then we all know it's far safer to be staring at your speedo than looking at the road...
I must be an exception to the rule because I can't remember that last time I got a fine for speeding (or anything for that matter)

And I can't remember the last time I crashed into someone coz I was looking at my speedo and not that road, in fact I can't remember the last time I ran into anyone full stop

And in fact I reckon I might be in the majority, not the whinging minority
Old 30-11-2015, 07:35 AM   #49
LTDHO
The one and only

I think it funny that QLD'ers find this BS where as us Victorians find the normal.

Everyone knows that these are to raise revenue and there is nothing you can do about it.
It's the perfect crime, so easy to catch drivers unaware and pocket from it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #50
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Oh not this old chestnut again.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 09:03 AM   #51
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, it rears its head every so often

No winners here, except the Governments bottom line, if only people realised that if they stopped speeding the Government would have to re-evaluate their budgets
Old 30-11-2015, 09:49 AM   #52
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post

No winners here, except the Governments bottom line, if only people realised that if they stopped speeding the Government would have to re-evaluate their budgets
Its not that simple..if only it was..how they deploy the speed cameras is the issue. Hide them, put them on high flow roads. etc etc Original intention was in known black spots, fatal sites..but they dont...You just have to take your eyes of the speedo for a second,,flash!! More accidents are being caused by drivers watching their speed and not the road... Google speed cameras..see the real facts..Roads in England where speed cameras are switched off, accidents have come down..America, some States they are an infringement of civil rights...its a very debatable subject..
Old 30-11-2015, 09:58 AM   #53
satria
FOXWHO

Quote:

By re-evaluating their budgets do you mean lowering the tolerance again? The people still don't win.
satria is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #54
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

What Trev says is true, but yes it causes people to watch speedo's constantly always on there brakes. Which in turn causes the people behind to constantly hit their brakes and thinking WTF is this person doing. Because most modern car just roll at over 60, so you're always on brake pedal. But people will actually brake quite hard and go under when they see the speedo go over the 60 mark. So instead of free flowing traffic and nice relax drivers, we have people on edge. No wonder there is so much road rage. Look if you check back on some of these arguements/debates in the past, I was the same as Trev and XB GS. If you don't speed then you have nothing to worry about. But we do as it causes people to stress out and a stressed driver is more dangerous then someone doing 5 to 10 over. What has changed my mine is that with my new job, I'm out on the road a lot, and can see the effect this revenue raising is causing. And has added to a lot more conjestion on the road. Lately it's like following people that don't know where they are going with everybody constantly braking, for nothing.
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2015, 10:49 AM   #55
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
More accidents are being caused by drivers watching their speed and not the road.
of course you have statistics to support this statement, or is it just your perception?
Old 30-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #56
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
What Trev says is true, but yes it causes people to watch speedo's constantly always on there brakes. Which in turn causes the people behind to constantly hit their brakes and thinking WTF is this person doing. Because most modern car just roll at over 60, so you're always on brake pedal. But people will actually brake quite hard and go under when they see the speedo go over the 60 mark. So instead of free flowing traffic and nice relax drivers, we have people on edge. No wonder there is so much road rage. Look if you check back on some of these arguements/debates in the past, I was the same as Trev and XB GS. If you don't speed then you have nothing to worry about. But we do as it causes people to stress out and a stressed driver is more dangerous then someone doing 5 to 10 over. What has changed my mine is that with my new job, I'm out on the road a lot, and can see the effect this revenue raising is causing. And has added to a lot more conjestion on the road. Lately it's like following people that don't know where they are going with everybody constantly braking, for nothing.
Congestion in big cities is caused by a population of 4 million and virtually the same infrastructure from 30 years ago, of course there will be congestion, but being impatient isn't going to help, I hate the cities and avoid them like the plague, but I understand that when I am there I just sit on the speed limit and let every other bastard roar past me, it is actually quite amusing to sit back and watch them and a lot less stressful, but I look at the problem through 58 year old ex truck driver eyes
Old 30-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #57
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I don’t know what the problem is as I doubt I’ll ever get done by a speed camera because every driver in front of me always feels the need to reduce their speed by at least 20 km/h every time they see one to the point where it drives me nuts.

5 or so k’s I can understand but 20 is a sign of how insecure drivers are around fixed and sign posted cameras only to then show a total lack of respect for the Governments so called lifesaving safety message of speed kills by speeding up again on the other side.

If the Government was sincere about road safety and in particular speeding it would put HWP cars back out on the street in force so drivers become cautious knowing there is now a bigger risk of being randomly caught but of cause that isn’t cost effective compared to the revenue raising appeal of the cheaper camera option.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 11:33 AM   #58
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Queenslanders whinging about speed camera's again, i'd have never guessed...

I thought you lot were that mob they breed tuff Norf of the bawder, bunch of sooks.

I've been driving for 20 years, can count the number of speeding fines i've had on 1 hand and 0 in the last decade.
I dont drive around staring at my speedo and my insurer can confirm i've never run up anyones ****.

When i was driving trucks i was one of 6 drivers in the company, the other 5 were continually crashing their trucks whilst accumulating speeding and red light fines.
One day the manager called me in and asked how the hell i can move more freight than them in a day without the fines and damage.
I told him it was easy, you dont have to be the fastest driver, just the smartest.

People bang on about cameras not stopping accidents, well they dont jump out into traffic and prevent the hit, but as Revolver confirmed earlier, once you get caught at a particular place you learn and dont do it again.
Most people do the same daily grind and should be familiar with known hot spots, i know i am in my area.
If a new one pops up or a speed limit is changed and i dont acknowledge it, im not paying attention and will pay in another way.
Simples!

Last fortnight i drove a bunch of mates to Victor Harbor for a few days, i took my GPS. One of my mates asked why i needed a GPS to find Victor harbor.
Truth is i didnt, its an easy drive, but as i hadnt been down there for so long i wasnt sure where the cameras are and rather than get caught out whilst talking ****, i let Tomtom remind me on approach.

Its a voluntary tax and if you continue to contribute it says more about your driving than the system.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2015, 12:12 PM   #59
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Congestion in big cities is caused by a population of 4 million and virtually the same infrastructure from 30 years ago, of course there will be congestion, but being impatient isn't going to help, I hate the cities and avoid them like the plague, but I understand that when I am there I just sit on the speed limit and let every other bastard roar past me, it is actually quite amusing to sit back and watch them and a lot less stressful, but I look at the problem through 58 year old ex truck driver eyes
Yes Trev you are spot on, and if everybody thought the same as you then there wouldn't be a problem. But some people haven't learnt them skills and some are always in a rush. So this is just another added nightmare for them. Us Queenslanders aren't complaining, just like the rest of you trying to figure out why they do this for. Well most say revenue raising and other say don't speed and it's not a problem. Easy for some and hard for the rest. Me I haven't had a speeding fine for a long time, but I do see a lot of drivers doing exactly what Express was statting in his post and he said it drives him nuts. exactly the point I was getting at in my previous post.
Old 30-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #60
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Its a voluntary tax and if you continue to contribute it says more about your driving than the system.
I reckon it says more about the person than about their driving or the system