Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #31
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Default Re: Queensland Run an Amber Light $330+3 Demerit Points. WTF!!!!!

eg
so ive done a 12 hr shift and had to drive a 50 min round trip and i had 5 hrs sleep the night before, plus i drive all day at the job on heavy machinery
am i tired????
what rubbish
how on earth are they going to prove that
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
Amber light means stop if safe to do so, I don't have a problrm with that.

What I do have a problem with, is how one might consider the term 'safe' in that statement.
We could discuss at length following distances, braking etc, etc, but from experience this rule can be fraught with disaster.

One of the few unwritten things I was taught whilst learning to drive, was to always check the rear vision mirror for following vehicles before stopping, especially suddenly.

Given that a lot of people tend to tailgate other vehicles, I can see there possibly being a few more additions to the road toll......

Add in other viariables such as dodgy tyres, poor road conditions, wet or slippery weather, and the mind boggles.

Having said all this, a number of years ago I was unfortunate enough to rear end a small car at a set of lights that had pulled up quite sharply.
Some of the factors I mentioned were involved, including my momentary inattention being distracted while trying to change lanes.

Obviously there is no excuse, but the point I'd like to make, is that I think this rule enforcement may end up killing people trying not to cop the fine.

I just hope the money they collect from these fines goes to a good home.

Ed
Look, will you stop it with that damn common sense logical type of questioning about the subject? Thank you.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #33
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Try and stop safely when it turns yellow in a HR truck and above...
More importantly, jam on the brakes quickly when the light goes yellow when there's a HR truck close behind you in your car and see what happens...

All this at the time that when, in reality, we have stuff to celebrate that gets ignored completely...
http://www.caradvice.com.au/156631/a...st-since-1946/
Quote:
Australia’s national road toll last year fell to its lowest level since 1946.

In total, 1292 people were killed on Australia’s roads in 2011, down 4.4 per cent compared with 2010 and down almost 20 per cent from five years ago.

All states experienced a reduction in their road toll in 2011 except Queensland, which increased from 249 to 269, and Victoria, which was steady at 288.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #34
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E..speed cameras are working well !!! and Q is getting more !! DOH !!
The only answer QPol has is more speed cameras !! what about driver education, police presence on the roads, road deaths related to speed are 20% of road toll. The other 80% are virtually ignored. Why ? because speed cameras are an easy fix ???? The money spent on speed detection is out of proportion to the road toll..
I am not anti speed camera. just how they are used..high flow traffic areas, behind trees, bus shelters etc. Black spot areas ??? rarely.
Speed cameras are QPol's pr disaster. Numerous studies show they don't reduce the road toll.....links have been posted on FF...
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

has there been a rule change???

the 2 rules have been in place for a very, very long time, so what is the problem
we complain that we do not see police on the road, because speed cameras are doing their job and now we are complaining that the police might actually be out there doing their job - pick a side and stick with it

we all know speed cameras are for revenue but guess what. if they withdraw speed cameras from service, then they will just tax the people who are alert enough to see speed cameras more - better to tax the oblivious people in my opinion
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The rule has been in for nearly two years, I don't know what all the fuss is about
as I see it, the only reason it's being brought up now is that people are starting
to take liberties and going through intersections late when they should stop.

This isn't an issue in a majority of driving and only occurs when approaching a stale green...

Think of the alternative, short amber lights.... not good.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #37
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Victoria, I got done for going through an amber light around 9 years ago when I first gotr my licence. Fined $280 and 3 points.

I do not see the problem with this rule.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 01:19 PM   #38
LTDHO
The one and only

Just shows what people know, or don't know.

As far as I can recall, it has always been illegal for running a amber/yellow light. It's more dangerous when the driver hard accelerate through. People ofen confuse it with "Proceed if safe to do so"

I note a few above have asked "What's so dangerous about it?"
Many accidents occur from running an amber. (IMO more than fatalitites than speeding too)

I do agree with 'Kent' as people who wear earphones should also be targeted.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 01:22 PM   #39
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Just shows what people know, or don't know.

As far as I can recall, it has always been illegal for running a amber/yellow light. It's more dangerous when the driver hard accelerate through. People ofen confuse it with "Proceed if safe to do so"

I note a few above have asked "What's so dangerous about it?"
Many accidents occur from running an amber. (IMO more than fatalitites than speeding too)

I do agree with 'Kent' as people who wear earphones should also be targeted.
Why would you target people with earphones, does that mean all deaf people should be targeted to. BTW I do not wear earphones while driving.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
In Victoria, I got done for going through an amber light around 9 years ago when I first gotr my licence. Fined $280 and 3 points.

I do not see the problem with this rule.
The problem is that by increasing the fine and points there will be a change in the way some people react at traffic lights which can and probably will lead to accidents.

Driving in traffic is somewhat of a herd mentality. You are all going the same way and expect others to react the same way to any situation.

If all of a sudden some people do something completely different e.g. jam on the brakes as soon as they see an amber light causing the vehicle behind to brake heavily and so on backwards up the line each with a slight reaction delay until there is a pile up.

All the theory and babble about "safe following distances" is completely and utterly pointless as the only thing that will happen should you drop back a car length in traffic is that someone will move across from another lane.

The most common cause of ALL accidents is something unexpected happening for whatever reason.

This change will increase the number of unexpected events........

Last edited by flappist; 03-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:54 PM   #41
a_misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysonv48 View Post
Excesive loud music dosn't surprise me I always through it had to below the db that the exhaust was.
Hybrids would be screwed then...
a_misfit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #42
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think people need to re-read the rule....

There is NO CROSS IF UNABLE TO STOP SAFELY.

57 Stopping for a yellow traffic light or arrow
(1) A driver who is approaching, or at, traffic lights showing a
yellow traffic light—
(a) must stop—

It then says :

(iii) if the traffic lights are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subparagraph (i) or
(ii), but can stop safely before entering the
intersection—before entering the intersection; and

Means that its ok to cross the white stop line as long as you dont enter the intersection!

There is NO provision in the law for you to cross on a yellow light at all.

This is purely a revenue raising law now... as it will no doubt mean that red light cameras, will now also operate on a yellow light in QLD.

I can understand a red light camera as its clearly breaking the law... but this is truely rediculas and unworkable and unsafe.

Imagine trying to stop on a yellow light in an 80 zone if your say 30meters from the line and it changes?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #43
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Quote:

Imagine trying to stop on a yellow light in an 80 zone if your say 30meters from the line and it changes?
My rule of thumb in the truck is double the length of the solid white leading to the intersection, at 70 or below moderately loaded, is suficent.
If heavy or faster, thats the point of not even attempting to stop.

Not going to have too many truckies left after the ramp up of enforcement i think.

Good thing I now stay away from QLD
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #44
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
I think people need to re-read the rule....

There is NO CROSS IF UNABLE TO STOP SAFELY.

57 Stopping for a yellow traffic light or arrow
(1) A driver who is approaching, or at, traffic lights showing a
yellow traffic light—
(a) must stop—

It then says :

(iii) if the traffic lights are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subparagraph (i) or
(ii), but can stop safely before entering the
intersection—before entering the intersection; and

Means that its ok to cross the white stop line as long as you dont enter the intersection!

There is NO provision in the law for you to cross on a yellow light at all.

This is purely a revenue raising law now... as it will no doubt mean that red light cameras, will now also operate on a yellow light in QLD.

I can understand a red light camera as its clearly breaking the law... but this is truely rediculas and unworkable and unsafe.

Jim I hope you're wrong about the red light cameras, will be changed to go on yellow. Because this will cause accidents, I don't think it'll come to that. I think it's more of a law for the police to enforce. Surely the government wouldn't be that stupid right?

Right?
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 04:04 PM   #45
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

This rule should not be a problem if motorists follow the other guidlines for an approach to an intersection.

As a truck driver, we are taught to be cautious of a STALE green, which means if you are approaching a set of lights and the green has been showing for a while you automatically prepare for the yellow to appear.
Not too many lights are sequenced to change after a second or two so the stale green is a regular occurance at most intersections.

The problem is that most motorists drive around in a daydream and only react once the light change sequence has begun and either blast through or hit the anchors.

During my HR license test i was taught to prepare to stop on a stale green by backing off a little whilst maintaining a safe braking distance to any vehicles in front until i reached 40mtrs before the solid line at which time any vehicle infront would be in the intersection and out of my way.
At the point of no return, 40mtrs, i would continue through, if it changed prior to that point i could stop easily as i was prepared.

Easy really, if you are paying attention and driving defensively...
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #46
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
This rule should not be a problem if motorists follow the other guidlines for an approach to an intersection.

As a truck driver, we are taught to be cautious of a STALE green, which means if you are approaching a set of lights and the green has been showing for a while you automatically prepare for the yellow to appear.
Not too many lights are sequenced to change after a second or two so the stale green is a regular occurance at most intersections.

The problem is that most motorists drive around in a daydream and only react once the light change sequence has begun and either blast through or hit the anchors.

During my HR license test i was taught to prepare to stop on a stale green by backing off a little whilst maintaining a safe braking distance to any vehicles in front until i reached 40mtrs before the solid line at which time any vehicle infront would be in the intersection and out of my way.
At the point of no return, 40mtrs, i would continue through, if it changed prior to that point i could stop easily as i was prepared.

Easy really, if you are paying attention and driving defensively...
you need to drive where i do in melb.
the majority of the time is ok, but the lane switchers can and do erode the saftey gap often.

I get crap for driving so slow, but if i was up near the speed limits i can garauntee that there would be quite a few mangled cars and a couple of people being planted.

All the statements that rely on the premise of people doing what they are supposed to, are bound for failure because there are far too many ( as you know ) who do whatever, whenever, for random reasons ( often no reason at all ).

I've only been involved in two crashes since i attained my HC licence 12 years ago, both i could not have avoided unless i physically was not there.

one guy was desperate to challenge me had on on the hume ( pre upgrade) and i was on a bridge with nowhere to go, and the other just merged into the side of my cab at 20 kph in traffic. a true WTF situation.

Until people are held accountable for the bad actions that LEAD to consequences such as running lights, tailgating etc, no amount of law/legislation change will affect the problem.

Treating symptoms is not trating Cause.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 PM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Jim I hope you're wrong about the red light cameras, will be changed to go on yellow. Because this will cause accidents, I don't think it'll come to that. I think it's more of a law for the police to enforce. Surely the government wouldn't be that stupid right?

Right?
Just checked with a mate who is a solicitor and does a lot of traffic.

All wrong.

Law degrees come from universities not corn flakes packets, internet forums or google.

You can cross on an amber light provided the subsections are complied with. The line just denotes the boundry of the intersection if that point is not level with the lights.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 PM   #48
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I got hit up the rear once when I was younger in a XB ute. I stopped at an amber and got hit by this lady behind me, who thought I was going to go through. Anyway when the police came, 'probably because I was a young fella' started saying it could of been my fault. I asked 'how when I was hit from behind?' He said ''if I was across the line when she hit me, then I'm committed to go through. I said 'no I was stopped before the white line and it was after she hit me that my car went across the line.' And she said the same, luckerly. Anyway always wonder about that law, so are you committed to go through an intersection once you cross the line?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The traffic lights in Rockhampton...which seem to be run more on a cycle than on road sensors...would cause a simply staggering amount of accidents if everyone was in mortal fear of going through a yellow. People would be jamming on their brakes and rear-enders would increase ten fold overnight. If I'm a couple of car lengths from a yellow, I won't stop, be it on the motorbike (especially on the motorbike because cars won't stop as quick as I can), in the Celica, or in the G6E. I'll keep on driving through. If I got pulled over, I would demand the officer prove that I could have "safely" stopped in the time allowed.

The problem is that humans have about a two second reaction time. That light goes yellow anything less than fifty meters (or possibly more) in front of you, and you probably won't even be able to decide to hit the brakes if you are in a 60 zone before you cross the line.

It;s a ludicrous situation...you won't collide with anyone coming from the other side of the intersection if you cross on a yellow...no traffic lights in the world have a change to a proceed aspect on the opposite side until your light has gone red to stop you to allow them to move off. Also you have to allow for the delay between your light going red, and the other light going green on the crossroad...it isn't instant, so cross traffic will never be able to pull out in front of you.
There is no danger in running a yellow at all, never has been, never will be.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent86 View Post
you need to drive where i do in melb.
the majority of the time is ok, but the lane switchers can and do erode the saftey gap often.

I get crap for driving so slow, but if i was up near the speed limits i can garauntee that there would be quite a few mangled cars and a couple of people being planted.

All the statements that rely on the premise of people doing what they are supposed to, are bound for failure because there are far too many ( as you know ) who do whatever, whenever, for random reasons ( often no reason at all ).

I've only been involved in two crashes since i attained my HC licence 12 years ago, both i could not have avoided unless i physically was not there.

one guy was desperate to challenge me had on on the hume ( pre upgrade) and i was on a bridge with nowhere to go, and the other just merged into the side of my cab at 20 kph in traffic. a true WTF situation.

Until people are held accountable for the bad actions that LEAD to consequences such as running lights, tailgating etc, no amount of law/legislation change will affect the problem.

Treating symptoms is not trating Cause.
Totally agreed!
The point is, if your doing the right thing and driving accordingly, there is nothing more to fear from the new fines than there was before.
Accidents will always happen, the frequency is what needs to be limited.

Its like people who cry when new camera's are installed or the fines go up. Its only a problem when you get caught doing the wrong thing.
Adhere to the rules/guidelines you obtained your license by and there should rarely be a problem.
If someones losing $1k and 6 points a year, it would suggest ones driving habits needs reviewing, not legislation.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #51
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
The traffic lights in Rockhampton...which seem to be run more on a cycle than on road sensors...would cause a simply staggering amount of accidents if everyone was in mortal fear of going through a yellow. People would be jamming on their brakes and rear-enders would increase ten fold overnight. If I'm a couple of car lengths from a yellow, I won't stop, be it on the motorbike (especially on the motorbike because cars won't stop as quick as I can), in the Celica, or in the G6E. I'll keep on driving through. If I got pulled over, I would demand the officer prove that I could have "safely" stopped in the time allowed.

The problem is that humans have about a two second reaction time. That light goes yellow anything less than fifty meters (or possibly more) in front of you, and you probably won't even be able to decide to hit the brakes if you are in a 60 zone before you cross the line.

It;s a ludicrous situation...you won't collide with anyone coming from the other side of the intersection if you cross on a yellow...no traffic lights in the world have a change to a proceed aspect on the opposite side until your light has gone red to stop you to allow them to move off. Also you have to allow for the delay between your light going red, and the other light going green on the crossroad...it isn't instant, so cross traffic will never be able to pull out in front of you.
I agree with what you're saying, I also ride a bike. The only time I see a problem with running an amber would be, when a car is turning right at an intersection. As I was always taught that if you are the first car into the intersection you can remain there until the amber light, then go when traffic has come to a halt.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #52
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's why red light cameras take two pictures a few seconds apart...they have to allow for some idiot truly running a red light (they trigger once the light goes red and then someone crosses the line and goes through), and some poor sap who's been caught in traffic after entering an intersection on green and getting stuck by heavy opposing traffic. That's happened to me (and probably everyone here at some time) on intersections where they clearly had a red light camera, and I've never been flashed.
There would have to be some "allowance" built into the cameras again if they put them on yellows...and it would be a whole other ball game with a million variables involved.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:01 PM   #53
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I had completed a defensive driving course around 3 years ago and the trainer was an ex police officer. He said that Qld red light camera's were getting converted to redlight speed camera's that on speeding up to run a red light would also then take a second picture of you speeding. Stops me from doing the wrong thing. :0
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #54
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Ahhh , yes , the QLD police...... The best police that money can buy.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #55
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

This doesn't make a heap of sense to me.

I've 'run' amber lights before, simply because the lights changed to amber when I was far too close to stop, and if I tried I'd end up sitting in the middle of the intercection, and possibly rear-ended at times. As often as possible I will stop, and always slow down a bit as I approach to aid stopping in time.

But there's times (maybe 20 per year) when I can't stop as quickly as normal, due to a fragile load in the back, and so have had to run it, but never, never a red. If I stopped some objects may move and damage themselves or others. Both the passenger and I would be perfectly safe, but the cargo wouldn't.

I know if I got fined for simply not having the time to stop at the amber, I'd be pretty annoyed.
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #56
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I was heading to work the other morning. I live in QLD. Came up to an intersection on a green and about 1 meter from the stop line the lights changed orange. As an unbeknownst to me unmarked police car was sitting at the intersection blinded by the corner. Then as I am driving past the intersection said car speeds up behind me, by then I thought it was the police. And yes they then proceed to put their disco lights on and intercept me. Not one word was said about the orange light, they only wanted to Breathalyze me. So I still think it is up to the officers judgement and discretion at the time of the offence.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Ahhh , yes , the QLD police...... The best police that money can buy.
Don't you worry about that......

On a side note, I drove in a genuine legal open zone in Australia 2 days ago. Lady Elliot Island is not part of QLD (or any other state or terrritory) so therefore has no traffic laws at all
I got up to about 20km/h as that was as fast as I deemed safe at the time........
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #58
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled View Post
Why would you target people with earphones, does that mean all deaf people should be targeted to. BTW I do not wear earphones while driving.
Mate.......

Clearly I was referring to MP3 players and phones, not the hearing impaired.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 07:17 PM   #59
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

So so wrong.

The couple of seconds between your light changing to red and the crossroad going green is needed for the turning traffic to clear the intersection before the green hits.

Have you not thought about traffic travelling from the right and left that are not stationary, but are travelling and anticipating their coming green light. With your scenario people waiting to turn for all of the arrogant "i can just squeeze an amber out of this" are sitting ducks with traffic bearing down on them at the speed limit.

If you have a truck up your clacker, or cannot stop safely for any other reason, you dont stop.

If you can safely stop - you do.

Then those waiting to turn can easily and safely.

It is really very easy. I am amazed that people dont get it.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #60
ebzery

i have been pulled over in brisbane going through lights.
wasn't booked as the lights changed green then Orange and red as 50 k zone the lights changed to quick would of had to be doing 60k + to make the light
ebzery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post