Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-02-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Holden commodore wins Daytona marketing genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
My 15 Y.O. tells me commodore has won the Daytona 500 , its all his mates are talking about at school . Commodore has kicked the rest of the world's butt !
About time holden done something with world class, even if its far from a factory car ......
Its a rebadged GM car being marketed in another country,lets go way back,it was a vauxhaul before a commodore was it not ???
Give the bogan brigade you minutes of fame,ford had world domineering cars for decades,and some were made in this country
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 09:35 PM   #32
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=302 XC;4643785]Hardly a win against mondeos and camries is it ???
A GM product being sold under another GM wing ....
Yep thats new
Just think local,a six pot falcon is quicker than a V8 commodore
Sad isnt it ......[/
Still good marketing
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #33
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Read the thread title " Marketing genius " will probably have to reply with this answer a few times for all our slow friends .
I was being sarcastic there. I find it frustrating how Holden always comes with these great marketing ideas when you support the other side.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 09:49 PM   #34
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Methonks you have HUGE chip on the shoulder Mr olds? Interesting list of posts you have? Anti ford much? Now stop being a nasty pastie!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #35
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Let's be fair here, the success of the VF does not necessarily equate to disaster for Falcon sales. While there are some swing buyers,
the majority of buyers are either dyed in the wool Ford or Holden supporters. So the only real change I see is Holden getting more
estranged buyers back into the showroom, that has to be good news for local manufacturing, just as the 2014 Falcon should add more sales too..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #36
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Imagine if it was Falcon that won Daytona. You wouldn't hear a thing about it on the news and some one on here would be bagging it because it did it too fast and didn't have heated seats.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #37
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

when you market to the lowest common denominator, everything is considered marketing genius
holden could call their cars absolute crap and their fans (and ford fans) would still find a positive from their marketing

not really marketing genius as such - just suckered in a whole lot of people who have no idea . . . . not that hard, but i prefer a car company that still has their sole not their r version of it
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #38
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

People are getting dumber and it is not just the teenagers. I have friends in their 30s and 40s and they don't understand why the V8 Holdens don't use the GenIII or GenIV engines or why the Falcons don't use the supercharged engine in the V8 supercar series. When I try to explain that it is a sihoulette category and things about parity their eyes begin to glaze over.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #39
greenfoam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lucky there's still plenty of dirt speedway tracks around where you can go and see real commodores and real falcons fighting it out
greenfoam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #40
that guy
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
People are getting dumber and it is not just the teenagers. I have friends in their 30s and 40s and they don't understand why the V8 Holdens don't use the GenIII or GenIV engines or why the Falcons don't use the supercharged engine in the V8 supercar series. When I try to explain that it is a sihoulette category and things about parity their eyes begin to glaze over.
Simply put, no one cares about the facts. After all the're complex, hard to understand and take longer then 30 seconds to comprehend what they mean. This sadly goes well beyond the automotive realm.
that guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #41
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Quoted for the truth.

But the great unwashed will hear the headline and think that's great despite the fact that there are no Holden or Chevrolet parts in that car.

It is GMs continuing marketing superiority.
Old 25-02-2013, 11:05 PM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i thought the marketing was to sell it to the yank's, or has every one on ford forums the lowest common denominator?
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #43
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

And a lot of American RWD buyers will be on board until they see that $40,000 price tag..
Sticker shock is not something unique to Australia.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2013, 11:31 PM   #44
BHDOGS
Banned

Daytona is a world wide race now?
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #45
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Imagine if it was Falcon that won Daytona. You wouldn't hear a thing about it on the news and some one on here would be bagging it because it did it too fast and didn't have heated seats.
Lets not be happy for what did happen, lets imagine something that didn't, put a negative spin on it, and then sound self righteous to conclude.

Ok.

For the actual race it is of course great PR for Holden and Chev. Certainly no different to a V8 super car win. Lets hope the PR battle sways some people to consider the Chev SS for their next car.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 12:43 AM   #46
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67 View Post
when you market to the lowest common denominator, everything is considered marketing genius
holden could call their cars absolute crap and their fans (and ford fans) would still find a positive from their marketing

not really marketing genius as such - just suckered in a whole lot of people who have no idea . . . . not that hard, but i prefer a car company that still has their sole not their r version of it
Still has soul I think you mean't to say. So what car company has soul? We can pretty much exclude all of the mass producers, as they are in the business of selling cars, not waxing lyrically about something or another, unless of course it might sell more cars.

I guess maybe some smaller garage shops still owned by a single owner or a small group of private investors.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #47
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
And a lot of American RWD buyers will be on board until they see that $40,000 price tag..
Sticker shock is not something unique to Australia.
What are the analysts predicting? When does it start sales?
Surely they would not have comissioned the SS as their NASCAR if they didn't expect a flow on effect on sales.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 01:21 AM   #48
UberKnee
The One Who Knocks

Good marketing for Holden...but the car that won has about as much in common with a Commodore as a train does.
UberKnee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #49
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He is my thoughts

1) It is good marketing for GM in the USA
2) It is COMPLETELTY worthless for Holden in Australia
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #50
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Glad no one saw the clip of Tony Steward saying, "You can tell it's a Chevy design" during pre-race. That would have caused a few red faces.
I watched him say that & my first thought was wow who told him to say that.. Next thought was how much did he get for saying that!

Holden will find a way to spin the victory to suit themselves, i would

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #51
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it means absolutely nothing to Holden then why couldn't Holden advertise here in Australia with something like "Taking on the world to keep jobs here", works for me!

Of course we know it is all spin but I would then hate to see the next Mustang, Taurus, Lincoln, or what ever GRWD program Ford has up it sleeve finally come out of Australia from a Falcon design only to win a sticker pack race in the US cause there is more than enough people here on this forum to bag that out for the same reasons to. Sour grapes much!

At some point we need the Commodore and or Falcon to stand up and be counted on the world stage or it will be certain curtains for both, we know that, and people need to realise that it is no longer Holden V’s Ford any more because that has become a dinosaur model now and we all know what happened to them.

I just can not understand why the Falcon just has not caught the eye of Dearborn because if had, it could easily have been in the Chevy’s shoes by now as well. Australia is home to cheap powerful family sized RWD 4door sedans and it is up to us to find and create these new markets because this is our niche in the world of auto manufacturing. No where on the planet can any other country offer the whole package of World class R&D, design and manufacture of these types of cars under the same roof for the price.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud View Post
I just can not understand why the Falcon just has not caught the eye of Dearborn because if had, it could easily have been in the Chevy’s shoes by now as well. Australia is home to cheap powerful family sized RWD 4door sedans and it is up to us to find and create these new markets because this is our niche in the world of auto manufacturing. No where on the planet can any other country offer the whole package of World class R&D, design and manufacture of these types of cars under the same roof for the price.

Bud Bud
In the same way they could not understand why Taurus did not outsell Falcon when it was launched here.

It is a big seller here and we think it is better than everything else so everyone else must think like us.

Parochial myopia is not just confined to USA.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #53
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
Surely they would not have comissioned the SS as their NASCAR if they didn't expect a flow on effect on sales.
Another point, as well as the 'sticker shock' is that at $40k US it is up there with some of the other performance models. Talk on Road & Track is that the enthusiast market is hating the fact they won't be able to buy a stick shift over there like they can in the mustang, camaro and even that cadillac CTSV or whatever it is called. All autos in the SS for the US market. The analysts would've worked out that this makes sense in terms of sales volume for them, but they are missing a market that wants a manual.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #54
blk6t

No problem milking the cow here, Holden should ride the wave with this one.

Nascar may not be Australian, however to see a car that is assembled in Australia running around the Nascar tracks (yes with stickers only), is pretty cool!!!

If it was the other way, a Ford with Falcon stickers around the track, there would be very different comments.

The simple fact is, Commodore has an international life line back to the US and the Falcon does not. Not only that, it has become the Nascar icon for Chev, two very big wins. The VF Commodore is a worthy vehicle.
Old 26-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #55
Buntz
Straight Eight

Yep, great marketing. It's a lie, but great marketing.

And who knows? It might convince the ******* at Dearborn to do something with Falcon.
Old 26-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #56
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i must admit i scoffed when i heard them say a commodore ss on 7 news. Ill leave it at that.
Fordman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #57
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud View Post

At some point we need the Commodore and or Falcon to stand up and be counted on the world stage or it will be certain curtains for both, we know that, and people need to realise that it is no longer Holden V’s Ford any more because that has become a dinosaur model now and we all know what happened to them.

Bud Bud
The two horse race is dead
What people drive ,have in their sheds,garages is remotely the main 2 players,certainly not like it was in the 70s,80s,90s
Its clever marketing as such and sure give em credit for that
But its 1 race on the world stage ,tho a big one
But didnt ford have sierras ,and didnt they win race after race on the world stage
They won that many races that the biggest holden driver of them all resorted to one ???
Yeah kiddies Peter Brock raced a ford .......fancy that
We will see how the commos stand up against the new breed of nissan and toyotas in the V8SC series
But no doubt ,when they lose like they did 20 odd years ago to nissan ,there will be some up roar
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #58
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
But no doubt ,when they lose like they did 20 odd years ago to nissan ,there will be some up roar
I think you're giving the Kellys, Moffat and Caruso a bit too much credit there. They aren't up to the standard of Lowdnes and especially Whincup no matter what they drive. They're the team to beat in the V8s IMHO. Cheers.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #59
F6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan D Segal View Post
Another point, as well as the 'sticker shock' is that at $40k US it is up there with some of the other performance models. Talk on Road & Track is that the enthusiast market is hating the fact they won't be able to buy a stick shift over there like they can in the mustang, camaro and even that cadillac CTSV or whatever it is called. All autos in the SS for the US market. The analysts would've worked out that this makes sense in terms of sales volume for them, but they are missing a market that wants a manual.
WOW no manual offered on the SS, very suprising, especially when you consider how crap the GM 6sp auto is, it's at least a decade behind the ZF.

You think GM would simply get GMH to supply both options ? as you say, they are missing a big section of their target market....strange

The Yanks' love of 'stick shifts' had enough market pressure to make BMW supply (USA only) propper 3 pedal manual versions of E60 M5 (beefed up E39 M5 box). Apparantly the same has happened to the new F10 M5, they get a propper manual option over the DCT...why ? who knows....

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2013, 09:48 PM   #60
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC View Post
The two horse race is dead
What people drive ,have in their sheds,garages is remotely the main 2 players,certainly not like it was in the 70s,80s,90s
Its clever marketing as such and sure give em credit for that
But its 1 race on the world stage ,tho a big one
But didnt ford have sierras ,and didnt they win race after race on the world stage
They won that many races that the biggest holden driver of them all resorted to one ???
Yeah kiddies Peter Brock raced a ford .......fancy that
We will see how the commos stand up against the new breed of nissan and toyotas in the V8SC series

I'd agree 150%...who will be the one this time to stand on the podium and shout at a booing crowd "You're all a pack of *********"...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post