Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #31
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mustang isn't good enough for the NSW police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
As if Ford would want to sell them Mustangs anyway, when they can sell them for full retail to private buyers.
Didn't Ford provide the car?
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #32
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHR View Post
Goulburn track

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...4427d0!6m1!1e1

Hopefully the link works
Looks a bit like Eastern Creek
Old 21-03-2016, 10:49 PM   #33
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I second that, i flogged the crap out of the one i hired in the states, not once did it let me down, solid car
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 11:00 PM   #34
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
HWP do things to cars no one in the their right mind would do. Such as driving down the freeway everyday in 3rd gear at 5000rpm (constant).

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. They just drive the cars like humans.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-03-2016, 11:04 PM   #35
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Didn't Ford provide the car?
They were probably hoping to get some good publicity
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 11:14 PM   #36
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

The Police do some weird stuff to their cars. At one driver training center they kept frying the power steering pump. They would just sit there with the car jammed hard on full lock until it cooked the pump.

So maybe the cooked the trans by just holding it flat against the stall or some other weird car destroying maneuver.
Old 21-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #37
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
The Police do some weird stuff to their cars. At one driver training center they kept frying the power steering pump. They would just sit there with the car jammed hard on full lock until it cooked the pump.

So maybe the cooked the trans by just holding it flat against the stall or some other weird car destroying maneuver.
Would prolonged burnouts cause trans overheat/failure? Maybe thats what they did.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 11:54 PM   #38
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do the flogs even need high powered cars? They sit there in the bushes with a gun then drive up to highway speed flash some lights and you pull over so they can take some cash?
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #39
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapeworm View Post
Why do the flogs even need high powered cars? They sit there in the bushes with a gun then drive up to highway speed flash some lights and you pull over so they can take some cash?
It's mostly smoke and mirrors. "Don't bother trying to run because you'll never get away."
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 12:16 AM   #40
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Sometimes there's a major incident and other police need some serious back up in the form of doughnuts. Those doughnuts could be miles away at a Doughnut King or Krispy Kream.
Haven't you ever heard the harrowing call of "code 7 officer down"?
It actually means an officer is down with low blood sugars. This is a signal to all available units to put down the cash machines and rush doughnuts to that officer and all the officers in scene.
General duties cars follow up with coffee.
Old 22-03-2016, 12:38 AM   #41
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's what I've always said. 99% or so of drivers pull over as soon as they hear the siren so why do police need super fast highway patrol cars? And as well, the most common cars on the road are not super cars so what's the need for a super car to catch a Mazda 3? Surely another Mazda three would do it. On top of that; in Qld at least, police are not allowed to continue a pursuit once speeds are considered "dangerous".
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2016, 01:19 AM   #42
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
That's what I've always said. 99% or so of drivers pull over as soon as they hear the siren so why do police need super fast highway patrol cars? And as well, the most common cars on the road are not super cars so what's the need for a super car to catch a Mazda 3? Surely another Mazda three would do it. On top of that; in Qld at least, police are not allowed to continue a pursuit once speeds are considered "dangerous".
There are times when they need to get to the scene of an incident in a hurry, rather than just chasing someone.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 02:03 AM   #43
Brodes
Brodes

Could have been a one-off, but not a good example of what Ford are delivering post local production, you think they'd have made sure to deliver a well checked bullet proof trial car to a potential long term contracted customer, not as many sales as the public, but still a client non-the-less, this failure being reported in the news will no-doubt sway a few public opinions and sales too.

Aside from the weight, the Polestar seems like a reasonable alternative.
Old 22-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #44
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Our homegrown Falcons and Commodores have been performing hwp duties flawlessly for years. This just goes to show that the Mustang doesn't hold a candle to our local products and clearly highlights what a massive loss we are faced with once production is ceased.
Out of interest, when exactly did this auto only policy come into effect? I used to see manual hwy patrol cars coming through the auctions all the time in Victoria, although this was several years ago when they had VX and VY SS's.
Hmm, if I'm not mistaken, the XR6t was knocked back as a hwp car due to the brakes not making the grade. Ford then updated the brakes for them to be accepted.

So fairs fair, the Mustang could have its auto trans cooler uprated to handle Police use, I'm sure you'd agree?
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 07:28 AM   #45
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I wonder if there's also an issue with Ford Australia having no control over the build of imported Mustangs and thus not being able to supply a custom spec version for police use like they do with XR6T? Any sort of solution would need to be carried out by dealers. Something as simple as a larger trans cooler would require them to firstly find a suitable unit, test it, then supply it in kit form for dealers to install and provide a warranty.

Personally I hope HWP stay well away from Mustangs. The Mustang brand is very strong in Australia. Hopefully Ford don't harm it by offering them to law enforcement. How are you Mustang owners going to feel when NSW police are dumping these things after 12 months with 80,000km for pennies at auctions? Ford have overwhelming private orders for these cars, you'd have to be crazy to offer a police pack at this stage. Although nothing would surprise me with Ford Australia, head office run by monkeys.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #46
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The Mustang is a performance car. One would think that it would have been engineered to handle a little abuse, regardless of whether its used by the police or not.
Same applies to the XR6T and XR8. The XR8 had to have its alternator upgraded to be accepted.

But, we shouldn't expect any balance from you.
Old 22-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #47
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Out of interest, when exactly did this auto only policy come into effect? I used to see manual hwy patrol cars coming through the auctions all the time in Victoria, although this was several years ago when they had VX and VY SS's.
Back in the day when I had a new series 2 VX manual SS I was having a roadside chat with the local HWP south of Bega who was driving an unmarked auto VX SS. After the formalities were dealt with we chatted abouted series 2 vs series 1 and how I found the manual. He told me that ever since the VK with their heavy clutch and the inability of some female officers to drive them the move to autos only started.
For some reason he wasn't overly happy when I told him how stable the series 2 felt at 200+km/h
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #48
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
Bring back the old XE 351 chasers
Door handles wouldn't last 3 minutes... but I admire your taste
Peter B - CV8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 09:28 AM   #49
blk6t

A lot of it comes down to intimidation, if people know the HWP are driving high powered cars with upgraded suspension and brakes plus look menacing they will second think trying to do a quick runner.

If the HWP ditched the high powered cars and drove just standard 4 cylinders with a funky sticker packs, I can guarantee people will be more inclined to do quick runners, especially if their driving high powered cars.
Old 22-03-2016, 10:03 AM   #50
Trump
bitch lasagne

Heard on the grapevine this morning that if no suitable replacement is found for the XR and SS, a move will be made to ban many high performance cars.

It is just hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past govco to make such a boner move.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #51
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

What is considered high performance? Trucks are running 700hp now.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 10:26 AM   #52
b055m4n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Don't they use the ZF?

Milkshake?
I believe the auto transmission is a Ford one built under licence from ZF and used in other north American Ford vehicles.
b055m4n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Then there's the times when Mr Plod is doing 110kmh and finds someone doing 150kmh going the other way.

They then have to stop, turnaround and catch them. Kinda hard to do in a 'normal' grocery getter .
Old 22-03-2016, 11:16 AM   #54
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So who is going to grab that demo mustang from the Golbourn Ford Dealer, immediate delivery..

Salesman: Yeah, never flogged, was just the Dealer Principal's car...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2016, 12:33 PM   #55
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
What is considered high performance? Trucks are running 700hp now.
WTF? Seriously?

The local school bus has about 300hp, I smash it off the lights on my push bike...my legs must have 500hp...
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #56
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Then there's the times when Mr Plod is doing 110kmh and finds someone doing 150kmh going the other way.

They then have to stop, turnaround and catch them. Kinda hard to do in a 'normal' grocery getter .
That's normally a rural situation with no risk to anybody. Better if Mr Plod drives a Landcruiser. In a metro situation where people actually get hurt, or someone is fleeing an actual crime scene, normal vehicles or motorbikes are more than enough.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 12:41 PM   #57
Anchor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver View Post
And there is your answer. US spec Mustangs.

From what I've read, were getting a pov pack version that can be had in the states at at least half in not almost a 3rd of the price we pay in OZ.

Not exactly specced up equipment to handle what the police need.

How many Police Departments or State police use Mustangs over in the US?

Yeah. Not many. If any.
Lol. I learn something new every day from speshal people.
67 SS Nova Coupe. Iron AES 398 LS. T56. 2x 72mm T-netics BB. TCI Pro Touring F&R Clip. Streetfighter Project. 1200hp
73 Z28 RS Camaro. 6.0 LS. Coilovers. 18x9 / 18x10.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 12:56 PM   #58
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Heard on the grapevine this morning that if no suitable replacement is found for the XR and SS, a move will be made to ban many high performance cars.

It is just hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past govco to make such a boner move.
Well- wonder how this would apply, banning Porsche, McLaren, Mercedes AMG, BMW M series....these manufacturers would be working the pollies for sure.

If this was attempted, which I doubt due to greasy hands, any attempt at retrospection would probably be discounted which would mean all the high performance cars presently registered would be very sought after vehicles.

About police cars, what we have to remember is that a police vehicle is a workplace, and the employer is bound to provide a safe workplace.

Therefore, the police commissioner needs to supply a safe and fit for purpose workplace for employees, and for a vehicle used in high speed pursuits that would extend to provision of a vehicle that had good suspension, good brakes, and an appropriate engine to safely accelerate to high speeds to chase vehicles and travel fast to attend emergencies.

Anyway, the trouble the police are having to replace the Falcons/Commodores really shows just how good these machines are in terms of practicality and performance.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #59
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I guess they would also need to ban any bike of around 250cc or more

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2016, 01:24 PM   #60
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I would assume the Mustang would have been driven herder in those tests.

I mean what's going to be more fun to drive on a test track? A V8 powered RWD muscle car or a front wheel biased AWD Volvo?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post