Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #31
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 
Default Re: Cyclists V Cars

many times cycle lanes have broken glass, nails etc in them from idiotic minded people or just general road debris, they are normally cleaner towards to traffic side of the lane.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Why cyclists should be registered is too pay for the dedicated cycle lanes. The money has to come from somewhere. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for them..motorists pay with rego, fuel taxes etc for the roads. So, why shouldn't cyclists?????? off my soap box, again.
Mate, you seem to forget cyclists ARE taxpayers. They probably already own a couple of registerable vehicles. Buy houses and pay stamp duty, rates, etc,etc. Own businesses and pay company tax,etc.

They probably pay more income tax and GST than you depending on income of course. They are already contributing!

There are many other things that the government spends money on that you may not get use of, for example the Fed gov just gave my local basket ball association 6 million for a stadium upgrade. I pay a heap of tax yet I won't get to use this facility. Should basketballers pay rego to cover this? I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for it. What does basketball contribute to the economy?

How much would bike rego cost if it were to come in? $40 a year? How is $40 a year even going to put a dent in the cost of extra bike lanes that the average cyclist would now feel they are entitled to if paying rego?

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 09-06-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #33
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this thread is so going to end in tears
Old 09-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #34
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
Motorcycles pay rego. Seen any motorcycle lanes about?
There's always a separate motorcycle lane on every single road i see........If its a 2 lane highway - the centre lane becomes the Motorcycle lane - and the speed limit in that lane always seems to be 20Klm/h higher than everyone else.

If its a single lane carriageway - then that becomes a 3 lane highway for Motorbikes - the single lane that cars and trucks use and then there's the left of the car or the right of the car almost on the wrong side of the road and usually at a much much higher speed.........

In reality - stunt motorbike riders / bad car drivers / drugged up truck drivers are all a much bigger daily hindrance that your poor average cyclist..............just move over slightly and give them some room.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I am a road cyclist as well. and the law in sa allows for cyclists to ride 2 abreast here. we are also fortunate enough to have bicycle shoulder lanes to ride in which I frequently used. I make it a consideration to stay within my allocated lane as best I can. the only issue I have with some of these lanes is the amount of debris littered there that tends to puncture tires easily. so when its safe a swerve to miss it. not ideal but better than fixing punctures.

The guy riding outside the designated cycling lane shouldn't have veered out of the lane. sadly I have seen many cyclists adopt a very arrogant attitude as well which doesn't help the cause either. perhaps this chap felt entitled I don't know.

as for paying rego, I would pay it if it meant I get the same level of respect and patience as I do in my car.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic

Last edited by blueoval; 09-06-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: stupid predictive text on phone
Old 09-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #36
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
this thread is so going to end in tears

Not at all. I am playing devils advocate here ( I don't cycle) , but I just think that the arguements against cyclists are flawed as are arguements and steroetypes for many minority road users such as truckies ( drugged up cowboys and motorcyclists ( stuntriders with no regard for the laws), etc.

Everyone has the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else on the roads. Live and let live and be courteouse. So what if you have to slow down to something under the speed limit to be a little bit courteous toward a cyclist. If it means he hasn't died as a result its all worth it. Remember that the bike you just passed and almost clipped in your massive rush to get from a to b is being peddled by someones son, duaghter, dad, mum, brother, sister. Are you really in that much of a mad rush that their lives don't matter?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #37
Falcman0o7
Banned

Can't stand them. They don't care.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #38
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

The amount of us vs them in this thread borders on silly.

Motorcyclists, car drivers, truck drivers, bicyclists...if every one acted with courtesy and respect on the road, and TO the road conditions, this thread wouldn't exist or many others one platform vs the other.

Its the minority which tar the others...just as with any of the above groups. What is legal isn't necessarily right, courteous or practical. I've seen bunches heading down tight twisties two to three abreast when courtesy would say single file. But every single day I see cyclists obeying rules, being courteous, and riding to the conditions. And I see motorists disrespecting THEM.

As I do when I ride, exercise simple respect no matter what your transport choices.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #39
something wrong
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My only beef with cyclist is, If you get two flats riding from Goulburn to canberra, and you ask everyone at a rest stop for lift and a nice guy in a new Hilux ute says, yeah put you bike in the back and jump in, the least you can do is,

A. Put a towel down on the seat because you are sweating a lot

B. put on some deodorant and change your shirt, for one that is not soaking wet with sweat

It ruined my new car smell :( and soaked through my cheapo fabric seat covers, so much so I had to take the cover off throw it in the tray and stop at a servo and buy a air freshener spray.

Other than that if everyone was courteous, took a chill pill and thought of other people then everyone, cars, bikes, motor bikes and pedestrians would arrive home alive more often.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #40
XR8_ash
2 wheel pilot, V8 novice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Some motorist need to study the road rules and find out what is legal and what is not, many things some complain about are totally legal!
Fair call.

Legal does not always mean safest/best practice or "correct". Look at any type of law and thousands of examples present themselves.....
Old 09-06-2012, 07:58 PM   #41
XR8_ash

cyclist..............just move over slightly and give them some room.[/QUOTE]

Very true. However these stunters pulling huge 100mph high chair wheelis (LOL) and druged up truckies all have number plates, thus allowing a bit of identification later on.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #42
XR8_ash

Quote:
Mate, you seem to forget cyclists ARE taxpayers. They probably already own a couple of registerable vehicles. Buy houses and pay stamp duty, rates, etc,etc. Own businesses and pay company tax,etc.

They probably pay more income tax and GST than you depending on income of course. They are already contributing!

There are many other things that the government spends money on that you may not get use of, for example the Fed gov just gave my local basket ball association 6 million for a stadium upgrade. I pay a heap of tax yet I won't get to use this facility. Should basketballers pay rego to cover this? I don't see why the taxpayer should pay for it. What does basketball contribute to the economy?

How much would bike rego cost if it were to come in? $40 a year? How is $40 a year even going to put a dent in the cost of extra bike lanes that the average cyclist would now feel they are entitled to if paying rego?
Fair and true call. All I think about when reading this is;

Scenario - Out of the way hills area.
Action - I'm on a pushie and cause an acident with a motor bike and the bike rider goes down.
Outcome- (If I'm okay) I can just give heaps of fake info as there is no rego plate on my $2000 Carbon Fiber pushie for the other member (or any one else for that matter) to take down for later on. The motor bike rider can't even use the cyclists insurance details as 1. he has no insurance on the push bike and 2 you don't even have any real details of who he is.........
Old 09-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #43
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8_ash
Fair and true call. All I think about when reading this is;

Scenario - Out of the way hills area.
Action - I'm on a pushie and cause an acident with a motor bike and the bike rider goes down.
Outcome- (If I'm okay) I can just give heaps of fake info as there is no rego plate on my $2000 Carbon Fiber pushie for the other member (or any one else for that matter) to take down for later on. The motor bike rider can't even use the cyclists insurance details as 1. he has no insurance on the push bike and 2 you don't even have any real details of who he is.........
but if you walk out onto the road and force the motor cyclist to take avoiding action and he falls off, it is the same situation - you have no insurance, and can give a fake name too
Old 09-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #44
XR8_ash

^^^^^^^ Hmmmmm Good call gtxb67. True that.

Looks like we might just have stale mate situation when it comes to cyclists... LOL LOL
Old 09-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #45
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

I dont have a problem with cyclists mostly, even thought we do get a lot out here on the weekends. They only bug me riding 2-3 abreast on tight country roads. It would take nothing to single file briefly and then do what they like once the car has passed.
Share the road!!! It goes both ways.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 09-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
Craiginmackay, what erked me was, they were outside the designated cycle lane, clearly painted in green with a bike symbol !! They were on the actual road !! Why cyclists should be registered is too pay for the dedicated cycle lanes. The money has to come from somewhere. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for them..motorists pay with rego, fuel taxes etc for the roads. So, why shouldn't cyclists?????? off my soap box, again.
i agree they want to use it pay for it, and your dead right they wonder why they get there sorry *** hit when they are 2 metres in the lane you are driving in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they ******* **** me!!!!!!!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #47
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pigsy, if they are 2 metres into the lane, isn't it their lane?

What gives anyone the OK to ride over the top of them just because they are on a bike? It isn't just your lane, but its this type of attitude ( I own the road and cyclists have no right to be on it) that causes the accidents!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #48
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Pigsy, if they are 2 metres into the lane, isn't it their lane?

What gives anyone the OK to ride over the top of them just because they are on a bike? It isn't just your lane, but its this type of attitude ( I own the road and cyclists have no right to be on it) that causes the accidents!
i paid my rego for that vehicle its my lane, move over im coming through lol

has he paid his rego or insurance on his pushy. NO.

they just have to move over no need for them to be so far out in MY lane.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #49
I reckon
Banned

No its the homos in there fairy tights who are to far over that cause the accidents!
Old 09-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #50
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggsy
No its the homos in there fairy tights who are to far over that cause the accidents!
thats a really cool attitude to have...
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #51
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
i paid my rego for that vehicle its my lane, move over im coming through lol

has he paid his rego or insurance on his pushy. NO.

they just have to move over no need for them to be so far out in MY lane.
Piggsy, it would be a nice story to tell Bubba when they lock you up with him in the big house for murder or manslaughter I suppose. Bubba would no doubt consider it foreplay!

What if the guy you think you are entitled to mow down payed more in tax in the last financial year than what you earned. Is that really what you think gives someone more rights on the road, because that is what you are implying! Perhaps he earns $200K a year and pays several thousand dollars in rego for his various cars and play things? Perhaps its his road now!

Does someone who earns a heap more than the average person, have more entitlements on the road seeing as they would have paid for a bigger chunk of it in tax? Does this mean that you Piggsy should be required to get out of the way of the of a doctor or a miner or a barrister because you only pay an average amount of tax where as these guys pay up to as much as?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #52
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
Homo? Mate I am a cyclist and so are most of my mates and i bet you wouldn't even be fit enough to defend yourself after calling any of us a homo. Come out and do a 200km ride with us in you footy shorts and then go straight to the emergency department so you can get a skin graft on your ***. And for the record I wear mountain bike shorts with the lycra underneath.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #53
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Piggsy, it would be a nice story to tell Bubba when they lock you up with him in the big house for murder or manslaughter I suppose. Bubba would no doubt consider it foreplay!

What if the guy you think you are entitled to mow down payed more in tax in the last financial year than what you earned. Is that really what you think gives someone more rights on the road, because that is what you are implying! Perhaps he earns $200K a year and pays several thousand dollars in rego for his various cars and play things? Perhaps its his road now!

Does someone who earns a heap more than the average person, have more entitlements on the road seeing as they would have paid for a bigger chunk of it in tax? Does this mean that you Piggsy should be required to get out of the way of the of a doctor or a miner or a barrister because you only pay an average amount of tax where as these guys pay up to as much as?
so if im driving along and a guy on a pushbike decides to move over all of a sudden im going to the big house ? yeah ok.

i dont care how much tax he pays, why shouldnt he have a license just like everything else .
car license ......boat ....shooting.....motorcyle....jetski.....fishing.. ..hell what isnt there you dont need a license for these days .

pushbikes will be next i think.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #54
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

And the law is we can take up the whole lane. Better than running over all the smashed stubby bottles on the side of the road. Would you like flat tires in your car every day that you drive down the street?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #55
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Homo? Mate I am a cyclist and so are most of my mates and i bet you wouldn't even be fit enough to defend yourself after calling any of us a homo. Come out and do a 200km ride with us in you footy shorts and then go straight to the emergency department so you can get a skin graft on your ***. And for the record I wear mountain bike shorts with the lycra underneath.
what you have something against homosexuals?

im a cyclist to so what . i wear the lycra to mate ........ some of them go over the top though .....harden are geeeez.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM   #56
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
so if im driving along and a guy on a pushbike decides to move over all of a sudden im going to the big house ? yeah ok.

i dont care how much tax he pays, why shouldnt he have a license just like everything else .
car license ......boat ....shooting.....motorcyle....jetski.....fishing.. ..hell what isnt there you dont need a license for these days .

pushbikes will be next i think.
Mate I'm all for it give us a licence who cares. There is already heaps of road rules that we have to follow now on bike, it would be no different. Next I hope they bring in licence to cull bogans.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #57
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Quote:
what you have something against homosexuals?

im a cyclist to so what . i wear the lycra to mate ........ some of them go over the top though .....harden are geeeez.
Your not a cyclist your a pretender come and ride with us.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:22 PM   #58
reinman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a cyclist and a motor vehicle owner (I'll happily pay rego for my bike too). I do ride a mountain bike, so when I ride on the road, its alway well to the left and even sometime on the dirt verge. So when I drive my car, I have alot of respect for someone on a bike.

BUT.....

Today when I was heading to the golf club, I had a peleton of roadies come straight through a STOP sign infront of me doing 60 in my car (now they are 10 metres long, riding 4 wide* they are the same size as a semi trailer) now where am I meant to go? Well in this instance and fortunately the oncoming lane was clear, so I just went around them no more questions.

BUT.....what if a vehicle was in the oncoming lane? I would have hammered the brakes, but I would have cleaned them up absolutely no doubt.

So when the boys in blue rock up, who is going to get the fault here?

I'm happy for cyclist to use the road alongside motor vehicles but they need to have some forethought when they are riding and follow the road rules like we drivers have too.

* Rules in WA state only 2 wide.

Rant over now......

Reinmans BF MKII XR6 Sedan
- SOLD

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11403549

Last edited by reinman; 09-06-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #59
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossy

You must:
• ride as near as is safely possible to the far left
side of the road. On a multi-lane road or a road
with two or more lines of traffic travelling in the
same direction as you, you can occupy a lane and
travel in the right hand lane when necessary (for
example, to make a right turn)
• ride to the left of any oncoming vehicle
• not overtake another vehicle on the left if that
vehicle is turning left and giving a left change of
direction signal
• not ride more than two abreast unless overtaking
• ride within 1.5m of the other rider if riding two
abreast.

Some food for thought
There are many who completely disregard those rules.

I can't stand it when they have a nice wide bike lane, but they ride on the line between the bike lane and the road. Or worse when they ride completely in the normal traffic lane and avoid the bike lane 100% Are they trying to get hit so they get some sort of payout?

What about the ones that ride at night in all dark clothes, no lights, no helmets and then ride all over the road like they own it.
They will be the first to complain when they are hit due to not being seen.

I have rode my bike on the road many times over the years. I have never had any near misses with traffic, and never have had any vehicles beep at me. It's really not hard to share the road and obey the laws.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #60
I reckon
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teak81
Your not a cyclist your a pretender come and ride with us.
I cycle she is only a giant bike ...not a race horse lol
Closed Thread