Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-08-2012, 01:59 AM   #31
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Default Re: BHP orders 2500 Ford Rangers?

I believe it has something to do with new safety requirements on BHP sites and the Rangers excellent inbuilt ROPS system.

The retro fitted bars used in LV's are expensive to fit and take up a lot of room, among other things whereas the Ranger's system is non intrusive and factory fitted.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #32
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I see an astounding number of different fourbies out here as mine vehicles...everything from Ford to Hiluxes to Navaras to Great Walls to those god-awful Ssanyong things.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 AM   #33
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

We run (like most others) hilux 4x4 's at work, the boss has got the Ranger, its nice to ride in, but the back seat is a major let down. Compared to the Hulix its more straighter in the back and the leg room is about half as much. This is a major problem as most of these mining Co, don't just have 2 blokes sitting in the front.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #34
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive past the local ARB store on my way to and from work every day, and the place is always packed full of standard, white Rangers. There is a tray place just up from where I work also, and again, full of Rangers. Hope this is true, so fingers crossed as it would be a great advantage if Ford can prove their worth.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #35
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bundy
We run (like most others) hilux 4x4 's at work, the boss has got the Ranger, its nice to ride in, but the back seat is a major let down. Compared to the Hulix its more straighter in the back and the leg room is about half as much. This is a major problem as most of these mining Co, don't just have 2 blokes sitting in the front.
Are you sure about the leg room? I though I read somewhere Ranger has class leading leg room in the back?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #36
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanman_75
im led to believe its coming to councils and such ....so at the moment 2 vehicles amorok and ranger will be the choice until someone else gets up to standard
New gen Colorado? *cough*
Old 06-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #37
aquahead2001
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
My local dealer told me today that BHP has ordered 2500 Ford Rangers for some of their Australian mines. Has anyone heard of this?

Will we see a big surge in Ranger sales? Hilux is almost the biggest selling car in Australia and is by far the biggest seller in Qld, WA and NT. The BHP order will not only be a good sales boost but also be a big reputation builder.
There have been rumours about a massive order for Rangers from one of the big mners for a long time. There have been orders quoted as 500, 1,000 and 10,000. It may be true it may be not!

FYI, I was in Mackay for the big Queensland Mine Expo a couple of weeks ago and I did see a heap of PX Rangers up there, around town and down in the inductrial areas but they were still out numbered by Hiluxs.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #38
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have sat in the back of both, and i reckon the Ranger has heaps more room.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #39
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5_Oq9LUbOw
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 12:45 PM   #40
Chopped
as in chopped

Not just a great work vehicle either.
I saw an all black(no, not the kiwi version!) one the other day, big black deep dish rims, black bars, black windows etc.....It looked awesome. Very imposing.

Best looking/toughest crew cab on the market IMO.
Well done Ford AUS for designing it.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #41
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthebilda
See thats where the story becomes half unbeleivable. Ford on a number of occassions have said they dont want to chase low profit fleet sales, and everyone keeps saying they cant keep up with private sales. So why would Ford chase low profit fleet sales, when apparantly they cant keep up with high profit private sales?
Because if they prove themselves in this market they will get a bigger allocation, which means more cars for everyone....

Its very hard to walk into a dealer and buy a ranger Auto XLT.... They are pretty hot property even prior to talk of the big boys taking them in large quantities... I was told January to get one myself, ended up getting the BT-50 instead, atleast its got the same running gear.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #42
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

2500 is good for Ford I hope the supply chain picks up fast, I have seen customers buying Rangers interstate because of lack of available stock.
article on BHP 5 star ANCAP vehicles only, this will smack the Toyota dealers around a bit..
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/542...r-entire-fleet

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #43
lethal66

I work for bhp and this is correct. They have ditched Toyota because they didn't meet the 5 star safety rating.Not sure how long the ford rangers will last though on a mine site.
lethal66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #44
Benjamin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
I drive past the local ARB store on my way to and from work every day, and the place is always packed full of standard, white Rangers. There is a tray place just up from where I work also, and again, full of Rangers. Hope this is true, so fingers crossed as it would be a great advantage if Ford can prove their worth.
You talking about TJM they got the contract with SX AUTO to do all there pre delivery bars and trays.
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Are you sure about the leg room? I though I read somewhere Ranger has class leading leg room in the back?

Maybe the boss has the old model which had terrible rear seat room?
Old 06-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #46
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal66
I work for bhp and this is correct. They have ditched Toyota because they didn't meet the 5 star safety rating.Not sure how long the ford rangers will last though on a mine site.

Well can someone correct me if im wrong. But i heard today that the hilux's that the mines get are upgraded with heavy duty parts and arn't exactly "standard/factory" the guy was telling me this other company buys the hilux and modifies them, then sells the hilux to the mines.

True or not? or maybe some places and not others
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 03:40 PM   #47
lethal66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3
Well can someone correct me if im wrong. But i heard today that the hilux's that the mines get are upgraded with heavy duty parts and arn't exactly "standard/factory" the guy was telling me this other company buys the hilux and modifies them, then sells the hilux to the mines.

False . Toyota hilux's are finished. When bhp takes control of hilux's they need roll bars etc in them to make them safety efficient. Ford rangers donot need anything extra in them because they already meet the safety requirements.

The funny thing is I know what hilux's go through I donot think a ford ranger will cope on mine site roads.I give them 6 months and they will fall to pieces.
lethal66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #48
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As I've said a million times before, Thailand will never have the supply to meet Australia's demand on Ranger Fleet, Gov and Retail sales. We will be chasing our tail like we have this year over and over unless we sort out our supply. From my understanding the only other factories are in South Africa and South Amercia.

For goodness sake give us an Australian factory that can supply us cars we can sell in this country and help us all out, from the suppliers to the local dealers and more importantly our retail customers.
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:02 PM   #49
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethal66
The funny thing is I know what hilux's go through I donot think a ford ranger will cope on mine site roads.I give them 6 months and they will fall to pieces.

What are you basing that assumption on?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:12 PM   #50
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3

True.

And I cant see the Ranger having an issue. Dont tell me FoA/Ford didnt build the car with these guys in mind...look at the Asian region and its all about resources.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #51
Ford PR
Starter Motor

Hi, BHP are ordering Ford Rangers but the figure has been overstated in this thread. Can't provide any details as the agreement is a confidential one between BHP and Ford.
Ford PR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #52
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Oh don't you hate it when facts get in the road of a good yarn ;)

Thanks Ford PR, its fantastic reading facts from the smoke and mirrors of rumour ;)

Awesome inroads for a great product ;)

As a aside on road presence, I drive mine daily and never really appreciate its size, doesn't DRIVE big. But driving my FG rental down a Melbourne street one day got passed by a XLT. Didn't even realise what it was until it'd passed. It's a big chunk of car from the Falcons viewpoint.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 05:15 PM   #53
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford PR
Hi, BHP are ordering Ford Rangers but the figure has been overstated in this thread. Can't provide any details as the agreement is a confidential one between BHP and Ford.
You can PM me with the details if you want, i won't say a word...honestly

By the way thanks for straightening out the story....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #54
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

And the other twist is most of our onsite cars are hired ...leased from third parties , so in the end bhp ordering any amount at all is a surprise .
I personally know people who got sick of waiting for a delivery date and pulled out of ranger , get it up to speed or its another fail anyway .I doubt bhp will wait either ...sad but a fact at the moment .
Old 06-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #55
CODSASR

I work for vicroads and last week we received a email from the fleet manager saying our order of 1000 rangers is being held up. my office received one ranger 3 weeks ago supposed to get 3 more

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

All the orders in the world are worthless if you can't get supplies.

The clown factory are hopeless when it comes to getting supplies of in demand products, its been happening for years now and its really no suprise they are being outsold by Mazda, Hyundai etc who have no problem supplying the market.

Ford will not succeed until they can solve these problems, surely it can't be that hard.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #57
XR6Uteman
Ute Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
whats a ford Ranger ?
A Mazda with Ford stickers on it.

Last edited by XR6Uteman; 06-08-2012 at 07:03 PM.
XR6Uteman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 06:59 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Other way round.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:13 PM   #59
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Nope have travelled in them and its a good speil but not all true, I'm 193cm, there's no way you can sit comfortable in the back with the front seats right back and everyones got underground mining boots on for work.

I'm not saying that the Hulix is heaps better, in that respect, just marginally better.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2012, 07:41 PM   #60
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Nope have travelled in them and its a good speil but not all true, I'm 193cm, there's no way you can sit comfortable in the back with the front seats right back and everyones got underground mining boots on for work.

I'm not saying that the Hulix is heaps better, in that respect, just marginally better.
Add an aftermarket mine-spec roll bar to the mix and it's twice as worse.

I'm 188 and can contort myself into the back but will forever be hitting my head on the poorly cushioned roll bar in front of me...especially on the rail access roads after a good rain!

Fact is, the front seats don't have to be right back and if the muppet tried to sit like that, they had another thing coming.

Same goes for the short ***** who think they deserve to sit in front while 3 guys twice his size squeeze in the back.