Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #31
Cam
Stroking it...

Default Re: Defect advice - Queensland

So, called the cop shop today...

I asked the officer regarding the safety certificate, apparently the "Full certificate of Inspection / Safety Certificate Inspection" is infact just a print out of the DB reading... I asked where to get one done, and she replied that if I take it to an exhaust shop, get it tested bring the printed test from the exhaust shop to the police station to get the defect cleared..

I am still totally perplexed by the wording on the fine, and that what the Officer, Redcliffe police station, and the ticket told me are all completely different... But, it means I that I need to go to the extent (or cost) of getting a RWC, or going over the pits..

Happy ending! (well, once it's cleared anyway!)
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 10:17 AM   #32
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The police can , even with a doubt regarding a legal or illegal mod
Or even , again have doubts about your car being in a road worthy condition
Can send you for a Machinery inspection

They dont need to now whats legal or not
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 10:58 AM   #33
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
So, called the cop shop today...

I asked the officer regarding the safety certificate, apparently the "Full certificate of Inspection / Safety Certificate Inspection" is infact just a print out of the DB reading... I asked where to get one done, and she replied that if I take it to an exhaust shop, get it tested bring the printed test from the exhaust shop to the police station to get the defect cleared..

I am still totally perplexed by the wording on the fine, and that what the Officer, Redcliffe police station, and the ticket told me are all completely different... But, it means I do not need to go to the extent (or cost) of getting a RWC, or going over the pits..

Happy ending! (well, once it's cleared anyway!)
And of course you aren't going to the exhaust shop where you know the bloke and he tests a different car are you. Of course not.
Old 17-05-2011, 12:46 PM   #34
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The police can , even with a doubt regarding a legal or illegal mod
Or even , again have doubts about your car being in a road worthy condition
Can send you for a Machinery inspection

They dont need to now whats legal or not
Yes thats true but what if the car has no problems at the pits. It costs $100 to go over the pits. Why should someone have to pay their hard earned because the cop doesn't have to know right from wrong but you have to.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 01:17 PM   #35
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Hi All,

While sitting at a set of traffic lights a couple of weeks ago I had a policeman do a U turn (illegal U turn mind you :P) and pull in behind me.. He followed me for 8k's and pulled me over in the driveway of the Police station. He mentioned that my car was too loud and asked how long I have had the exhaust on, i replied "5 years". He told me he was going to issue me a defect notice, and I would have to do and get the car tested at QLD transport and bring back proof that the car was not too noisy, I had no problems with this as despite driving a modified car I am a law abiding citizen..

He issues me with a defect notice, and off I went.. I got home and re read the Notice and become confused... Pics Below..

So on part of the notice that I cropped, it says "Inspection Type: Certificate", and it says I need to Produce the Vehicle for a full Certificate of Inspection.. And then a comment that it requires testing to establish DB..

Question:
Am I taking the car to someone to get a RWC, and then to Queensland Transport to get the exhaust tested? Or is the QLD inspection station going to do a full inspection on the car, AND test the exhaust?
Or are they Simply just going to test the exhaust for noise, and off I go?

I am after responses from people who know the process in QUEENSLAND, not people in other states, or who's mates dogs cousin knew a guy who did this...
Have it tested at a muffler shop , on a lot of Euro cars in example the bimmers they have a rev based flap in the exhaust system which opens things up when you really hop on it allowing it to flow more , perhaps there is something like this available to you ?
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 04:23 PM   #36
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
And of course you aren't going to the exhaust shop where you know the bloke and he tests a different car are you. Of course not.
No actually, I am taking it to an exhaust shop I have never been too before to have a new muffler installed, would you like to come and hold my hand so I can prove it to you? Or would you like me to scan the receipt for you?
Mate i have better things to do then be hassled by police after a day out with my Son, and then have to take time off work to clear defects for noise, so I am doing the right thing and having it quietened... I fail to see what the hell was the point of your post was?

Anyway, as I said above I am fairly sure that it will go over what is legal (I think it has to be below 91db @ 3500rpm for V8?), as it's a 3" with a single resonator at the rear Fat Pipes plan on running a single wide body muffler and then testing it, if it doesn't pass they will add another muffler where the resonator currently is.
Old 17-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #37
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownv8au
Yes thats true but what if the car has no problems at the pits. It costs $100 to go over the pits. Why should someone have to pay their hard earned because the cop doesn't have to know right from wrong but you have to.
It's called, luck of the draw. I'm sure there are people out there that have been in the this boat adn had to cop it on the chin. (yes harsh, but that's how some coppers operate.)

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #38
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Thumbs up Re: Defect advice - Queensland

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
It's called, luck of the draw. I'm sure there are people out there that have been in the this boat adn had to cop it on the chin. (yes harsh, but that's how some coppers operate.)
This ^^^ unfortunate but true Cam ....
Road Games is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
No actually, I am taking it to an exhaust shop I have never been too before to have a new muffler installed, would you like to come and hold my hand so I can prove it to you? Or would you like me to scan the receipt for you?
Mate i have better things to do then be hassled by police after a day out with my Son, and then have to take time off work to clear defects for noise, so I am doing the right thing and having it quietened... I fail to see what the hell was the point of your post was?

Anyway, as I said above I am fairly sure that it will go over what is legal (I think it has to be below 91db @ 3500rpm for V8?), as it's a 3" with a single resonator at the rear Fat Pipes plan on running a single wide body muffler and then testing it, if it doesn't pass they will add another muffler where the resonator currently is.
Top marks,for doin it right the first time
Im so over absolute wombats out there
When done for defects,patch the car get the pass then resort back to how it was
Then scream like absolute girls when they are busted again
Youll find some who need there car for their bread and butter income
Dont cut corners or take risks
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2011, 10:06 PM   #40
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Oh I don't doubt that for a second! Despite my frustration, I would've copped having to go over the pits, or supply a RWC on the chin. I do realize that the law is the law, and that some officers can be much harsher then others.. Mind you, I was annoyed that the cop saw my car and did a U-Turn and followed me, but as others have said it's the luck of the draw! (and I guess a part of owning a modified car)

I was more confused as to what exactly I had to do to get the defect cleared, that was the point of this thread.. I was never whinging at getting a defect! After 10+ Years of owning a modified car it is the first time I have ever had an issue, and only my second encounter with a traffic officer..So I think I have had a pretty good run!

302 XC - Thanks mate, and your right. I don't see the point in risking it happening again, I've had the 3" on for nearly 5 years - I think I had a pretty good run!
Old 18-05-2011, 12:28 AM   #41
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Oh I don't doubt that for a second! Despite my frustration, I would've copped having to go over the pits, or supply a RWC on the chin. I do realize that the law is the law, and that some officers can be much harsher then others.. Mind you, I was annoyed that the cop saw my car and did a U-Turn and followed me, but as others have said it's the luck of the draw! (and I guess a part of owning a modified car)

I was more confused as to what exactly I had to do to get the defect cleared, that was the point of this thread.. I was never whinging at getting a defect! After 10+ Years of owning a modified car it is the first time I have ever had an issue, and only my second encounter with a traffic officer..So I think I have had a pretty good run!

302 XC - Thanks mate, and your right. I don't see the point in risking it happening again, I've had the 3" on for nearly 5 years - I think I had a pretty good run!

I understand why you posted this thread and how it can be seen as confusing, with the way the notice was marked.

I also see through out this thread, you were prepared to cop it on the chin which ever way you had to go, to have the defect cleared.

I used to have coppers do U-turns just to pull me over to see what defects they could find. (Standard car, with the exception of a set of mags IMA). They even went so far to threaten me with a court appearance for failing to have a defect removed, after I'd been though a machinery inspection. This was in QLD. So I know how frustrating it can be. What I ended up doing, was move out of that hick town, which solved that little problem

Anyways, glad you have it all sorted and happy motoring.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2011, 12:32 PM   #42
Cam
Stroking it...

Went to Fat Pipes today (great guys, highly recommended) and they were honest and said that if they put another 3" bodied muffler on it, it'll have nine tenths of eff all affect.. So they put in a 2 1/2" bodied mugffler, and she went 88.9db@3500rpm.. Took it to Dbay police station, the cop had a listen, signed it off and away i went! Fat pipes did give me the 3" muffler back with some flanges on it should I want to bolt it on to run it at the track etc

Little disappointed at having to put in a 2 1/2 bodied muffler, as I can feel a loss in power at higher rpm. But am very glad it's all over!
Old 19-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #43
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
Went to Fat Pipes today (great guys, highly recommended) and they were honest and said that if they put another 3" bodied muffler on it, it'll have nine tenths of eff all affect.. So they put in a 2 1/2" bodied mugffler, and she went 88.9db@3500rpm.. Took it to Dbay police station, the cop had a listen, signed it off and away i went! Fat pipes did give me the 3" muffler back with some flanges on it should I want to bolt it on to run it at the track etc

Little disappointed at having to put in a 2 1/2 bodied muffler, as I can feel a loss in power at higher rpm. But am very glad it's all over!
Well done - this may sound funny, but I'm (we're??) proud of you for doing the right thing!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #44
Cam
Stroking it...

Hahahaha Thanks JC..

I took it for a good run on Friday, it's so damn quiet I can hear my external pump and engine noise over the exhaust note at 100k's, which is a bummer.. Then while heading out for work the car bottomed out and broke 2 exhaust bolts on the new section.. I have likened it to the body rejecting new parts..

Contemplating going twin 2 1/2 the whole way through which will give me the free flowing exhaust and allow me to keep it reasonably quiet.. There is a massive loss of power from 4000rpm up atm, a massive waste of 347 cubes...
Old 22-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #45
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So...

...how many time on a normal day driving around the streets do you use full noise take-offs and keep it revving at "high RPM" regularly enough to notice "a massive drop in power"...?
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #46
Cam
Stroking it...

On a normal day, none. I only do 8km's a day in it.