Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #31
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Scammed $886 ;'(

I would agree with others, I'm sorry to say you have been taken for an expensive ride on the roller coaster of no return :( I buy a fair bit from eBay and use PayPal all the time for my purchases and wherever possible I also use it for other online purchases where it is available. I still believe it is one of the safest ways to buy and sell goods but unfortunately there are a lot of scams going on out there where emails and certain information contained within them is being stolen on route via the internet. I recently received 2 scam emails after making purchases on eBay and using PayPal to pay for them. These emails appeared to be quite legitimate and had the correct PayPal logo's etc.....contained within them, they were requesting that I Logon via a link within the email to confirm or decline a recent purchase (which luckily I had already received and finalised a few weeks earlier) I smelled a rat and as such forwarded the email to PayPal who in turn responded to say it wasn't from them. I am very sorry for the OP and although it may seem all plain and simple to others that it was a scam, some of these emails are very realistic and persuasive and to the inexperienced online shopper, they look legitimate :( For the OP's benefit I can assure you will not be the first or the last person to be stung like this but PayPal is still one of the safer ways of transferring funds over the internet, just be sure in the future when selling - make sure the funds have cleared before shipping off an item. When buying - it's still safer to use PayPal than making a direct deposit into a bank account and always check out other buyers and sellers feedback before buying from them or selling to them. One additional piece of advice I would advise before you make any more purchases online, change your PayPal password and if you ever suspect something just doesn't sound right send eBay or PayPal a quick email and get clarification, they usually respond within 24 to 48 hours. Hopefully your future online shopping experiences will be a lot more enjoyable than your last one was
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #32
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sadly the reality is that you wont see your money.... so i dont know what the OP expects to happen? There is a federal government website where you can report the scammer, but other then that I wouldnt be holding my breath.

If your not internet savvy, you need to ask around for adivce etc before you try and sell stuff on ebay.... these scams are over 10yrs old and have been all over the TV/ media for the past 10yrs.

Never EVER open a link from an email....

Never EVER pay to send something to someone via eBay etc... its UP TO THE BUYER TO PAY EVERYTHING.. it has nothing to do with the seller....

Never EVER send money via Western Union as its impossible to get the money back...

I have safely used eBay for 15yrs and only once did an item not show up.

Edit: and never accept bids from people with little to no reputation score...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....

Last edited by Jim Goose; 20-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #33
Spudz27
Call me Spud

There is one thing I always add to the bottom of a listing

"Please note, I will not post to nor deal with anyone from nigeria"

I have since never had stupid scammers email me ever again since adding that notation. We all learn from hard lesson's, thankfully the few times scammers tried, I already knew their tricks.

Don't let this put you off ebay mate, just let it remind you that ever trust anyone on ebay, even aussies try to scam you unfortunately, never use any method other than paypal and when you get an email from paypal, log in via your browser don't click the link.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #34
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Nigerion scams have been round longer than the internet....They used to post "lucky" lottery tickets out in the post, claiming you've won millions of bucks, providing you pay a few hundred. (or something along those lines)

OP....Sorry to hear about you getting scammed...At least you've learnt what to do in future, so you won't be sucked in again.

Also, be wary of emails from ebay, requesting verification of username and password details. It's another way these scammers get your details to rip you off.

So another one to look for

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #35
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
there is no help to be given.
You got scammed - end of story.
The phone and the money are gone forever.

MR SINCERITY
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #36
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose

Never EVER pay to send something to someone via eBay etc... its UP TO THE BUYER TO PAY EVERYTHING.. it has nothing to do with the seller....
i agreed with everything bar this bit... everything ive bought off ebay the seller pays the post fee, and adds the cost to the price of the item.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #37
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems legit?

Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #38
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
i agreed with everything bar this bit... everything ive bought off ebay the seller pays the post fee, and adds the cost to the price of the item.
Ah...yes thats what i meant.

Yes ok as the "seller" your the one going to hand over the money to send it, but the buyer is the person you got the money from.

If i send something and then get an email saying i need to pay more to clear it (which would never happen), i would tell the seller, SEND MONEY.

In any case customs clearances is up to the receiver to pay and the bill would be sent to them.. not the sender.

Quote:
I then had a email saying I needed to pay a total of $350 USD to customs for them to release the parcel and once it was released I would recieve the funds immediatly. I didn't recieve nothing.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #39
GULL
TuRbO

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
seems legit?

I like
Old 21-05-2012, 01:06 AM   #40
Chopped
as in chopped

It's a hard lesson to learn but don't worry it happens to heaps of people.
(You got off lightly!)

There is a forum called ScamBaiters. They scam the scammers and post their stories about it. (www.thescambaiter.com)

I particularly like this story about "ANUS Computers" > http://www.thescambaiter.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109

I hope it cheers you up.
Old 21-05-2012, 02:59 AM   #41
Mad Drummer
EF XR6

ill just add that i have brought from ebay, i dont consider myself a complete novice when it comes to the internet and yes i do watch ACA or TT every so often, but have never heard of Niagra being full of scammers. so lay off him, stop telling him his money is gone, 50 others have done so.

im sorry to hear what happened mate, im not sure if there is anything you could do that hasnt already been suggested, sorry mate
Lowered all round with king springs and pedders supsenion
Mad Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 04:10 AM   #42
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonkymofo
seems legit?

Bahahhaha

Reminds me of my mate. Being the jokester he is, he wrote on facebook. "too find out your robot name, write down your credit card number and expiry date, then post your robot name"
His thick twin brother actually wrote down his details and posted it.
He then claimed it was just a joke, but jumped on the phone to cancel his credit card lol
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #43
dday
needs a polish

I just bumped these two threads for you in the ebay motors section although they pertain to motor vehicle sales mainly.... just about every ebay scam known to man is discussed in the posts somewhere.....

THE BOTTOM LINE IS IF YOU THINK IT'S TOO GOOD A DEAL TO BE TRUE THEN IT PROABLY IS.

If the package has not been delivered ( it probably will not be.... the scammer just wanted your email addy, your personal information and the 85 bucks that you sent them) the sender can request the return of the package. I will put the link up to australia posts terms and conditions

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/M...4#msg604892837

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/M...Fake/500121588

419 scams info below 419 scams are so called as this is the number that the local nigerian authorities give to the law governing fraud. It doesnt matter if it is a car, a phone ...or a frilly pair of knickers the modus operandi remains the same

good luck cheers Dave
dday is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #44
dday
needs a polish

http://auspost.com.au/statutorydocum...ices/frame.htm

Copy and paste from the link.. re the legal bits

18 Return of articles before delivery

18.1 A person who has lodged an article other than an express post article may apply to Australia Post to have the article withheld from delivery and returned to him.
18.2 An application under clause 18.1 shall be made in writing, describe the article and be accompanied by the application fee determined by Australia Post for that purpose and shall state the contents of the article and the applicant's reasons for requiring its return.
18.3 The applicant shall undertake to pay to Australia Post any costs incurred by Australia Post in sending messages by telephone or an electronic mail service in connection with the withholding and return of the article and, in the case of a parcel or a parcel post satchel, the postage payable on the carriage of the article from the office at which it is intercepted to the applicant.
18.4 No article, other than a parcel or a parcel post satchel, shall be returned to an applicant under this clause unless an authorised person determines -

18.4.1 that the applicant is the sender of the article and that:

(i) in the reasonable opinion of Australia Post there are special reasons for permitting the article to be withdrawn and returned; or
(ii) the person to whom the article is addressed has consented to its return.

18.5 Neither the fee paid pursuant to clause 18.2 nor the costs incurred by the applicant pursuant to clause 18.3 shall be refunded or remitted in the event of an article being delivered before it can be withdrawn from delivery.
18.6 A parcel or a parcel post satchel may not be withheld from delivery after it has been made up for carriage outside Australia.
18.7 Nothing in this clause requires Australia Post to return an article after lodgement and before delivery when Australia Post forms the reasonable opinion that it may not be able to locate the article or that any attempt to locate the article would cause operational difficulties.
Old 21-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #45
dday
needs a polish

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/...gerian419scams

http://www.419eater.com/html/419faq.htm

Some good tips in the links above.

If you post these links on ebay forums the moderators take them down......... hmmmmmmmm What is that is a great big lump under the carpet that ebay continues to add too.......... aahah....... it's called the "profit over protection lump". OP lodge an unpaid item dispute and you should at least get your final value fees back
Old 21-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #46
dday
needs a polish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a
Trust me mate that is ebay smoke and mirrors. If somebody is in business to make money then the buyer pays for everything.

It is just hidden in your purchase price and everybody likes to think they are getting something for nothing

ie. "FREE POST" items on ebay.

The fact is for any successful seller the free post component is already built into the ebay price. This means that ebay gets more final value fees. This also means that if the seller "amiably" combines the four items you bought off them with free post into one "free post" package............. they are actually profitwise miles in front and the buyer has been royally served by ebay and the seller.

ie If the item's postal cost was not built into the 4 items price but offered individually witha freight price for each then the norm is for the seller to reduce postage.

this is why ebay makes free post items more prominent in the search algorhythms..... more profit
Old 21-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #47
Cashie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Multiple helpful contributions throughout the tech area. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday
http://auspost.com.au/statutorydocum...ices/frame.htm

Copy and paste from the link.. re the legal bits

18 Return of articles before delivery

18.1 A person who has lodged an article other than an express post article may apply to Australia Post to have the article withheld from delivery and returned to him.
18.2 An application under clause 18.1 shall be made in writing, describe the article and be accompanied by the application fee determined by Australia Post for that purpose and shall state the contents of the article and the applicant's reasons for requiring its return.
18.3 The applicant shall undertake to pay to Australia Post any costs incurred by Australia Post in sending messages by telephone or an electronic mail service in connection with the withholding and return of the article and, in the case of a parcel or a parcel post satchel, the postage payable on the carriage of the article from the office at which it is intercepted to the applicant.
18.4 No article, other than a parcel or a parcel post satchel, shall be returned to an applicant under this clause unless an authorised person determines -

18.4.1 that the applicant is the sender of the article and that:

(i) in the reasonable opinion of Australia Post there are special reasons for permitting the article to be withdrawn and returned; or
(ii) the person to whom the article is addressed has consented to its return.

18.5 Neither the fee paid pursuant to clause 18.2 nor the costs incurred by the applicant pursuant to clause 18.3 shall be refunded or remitted in the event of an article being delivered before it can be withdrawn from delivery.
18.6 A parcel or a parcel post satchel may not be withheld from delivery after it has been made up for carriage outside Australia.
18.7 Nothing in this clause requires Australia Post to return an article after lodgement and before delivery when Australia Post forms the reasonable opinion that it may not be able to locate the article or that any attempt to locate the article would cause operational difficulties.
Some excellent info here dday, well done.
To the OP, get on to Aussie Post today and ask them to withhold delivery, at least you may get the phone back.

Past Rides:
2017 Kia Stinger GT
2008 FG XR6 Sedan
2008 FG G6E Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2008 BF XR6 Turbo Sedan
2004 BA XR8 Sedan
2003 BA XR8 Ute
2003 BA XR6 Sedan
Cashie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #48
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nigerian scams are in the media all the time..caveat emptor....
Old 21-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #49
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oooo....the moment you mentioned "Western Union", I took a step back. They say, quite rightly, that you may as well send an envelope full of cash instead of using Western Union...it can't be traced adequately, you have no come back, and it's basically unsafe.

Sorry...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #50
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tell ya what, forward me 500 bucks and ill go get the money back and return the 500 deposit :/
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #51
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just got onto AusPost, and it is being returned to sender, so I atleast got my phone back, little happier.

The $350 will never be seen now so that's that.
buddy92 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #52
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy92
Just got onto AusPost, and it is being returned to sender, so I atleast got my phone back, little happier.

The $350 will never be seen now so that's that.
Just hit your local casino up and win that $350 back baby!
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #53
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisfpv
Just hit your local casino up and win that $350 back baby!
Not sure Dubbo knows what a casino is
Old 21-05-2012, 10:28 AM   #54
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since it will be back to me today or tomorrow as it never left anyway cause it had a battery. How can I put it back on eBay but not get ripped the **** off?
Old 21-05-2012, 10:31 AM   #55
dday
needs a polish

Quote:
Not sure Dubbo knows what a casino is
Have you opened a Non paynig bidder dispute in ebay yet?

You will get your final value fees back that ebay has charged you. You will not get your listing fee back but if you relist it and it sells then you will not be recharged the listing fee

click on the item in my ebay and use the report a problem tab to start the dispute. it will be closed in 4 days if the buyer does not respond.

i can give you some tips if you like to make it harder for non legit buyers to get to your listing
Old 21-05-2012, 10:37 AM   #56
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Since it will be back to me today or tomorrow as it never left anyway cause it had a battery. How can I put it back on eBay but not get ripped the **** off?
Simple...only sell to people with good feedback, Paypal only, wait until you have their money (plus postage to their location) and away you go. It's no rock solid guarantee that nothing will ever go wrong, but I've sold heaps of stuff and never had a problem. The troubles begin when they start asking about you having to pay money to them for some "customs release" or some such nonsense. However, you don't post the item until the money is in your hot little hands and all traceable through Paypal, so you shouldn't have an issue.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #57
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you opened a Non paynig bidder dispute in ebay yet?

You will get your final value fees back that ebay has charged you. You will not get your listing fee back but if you relist it and it sells then you will not be recharged the listing fee

click on the item in my ebay and use the report a problem tab to start the dispute. it will be closed in 4 days if the buyer does not respond.

i can give you some tips if you like to make it harder for non legit buyers to get to your listing
I opened one of them case resolve things, and ticked "no payment recieved" as the case subject.
Old 21-05-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
dday
needs a polish

Quote:
Go to my ebay > account > site preferences> buyer requirements and set these preferences;
block buyers who
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)

Have a primary postage address in a location I don't post to

Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)

Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Have a feedback score of 5 or lower and haven't gone through phone verification

Are currently winning or have bought 5 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 5 or lower

select apply to all listings

then go to

postage preferences > exclude postage locations from your listing > and exclude the international locations
this should make it a little safer for you to sell your phone.

cheers Dave
Old 21-05-2012, 10:52 AM   #59
dday
needs a polish

If you scroll to the bottom of any ebay screen and select site map and then scroll to seller activitiies and select blocked/buyer list and select you can copy and paste the specific ebay user name ( or any ebay username) into the field and they will not be able to bid on your items. ( as many as you like separated by a comma)

this thread on ebays buying forum the hijack hunters thread has some great examples of how accounts with great feedback get hijacked and the scammers use them to scam others until they are detected.

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/B...jack/600115572

It worth the read to learn the techniques the pro volunteers use to detect scam listings
Old 21-05-2012, 10:53 AM   #60
buddy92
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Go to my ebay > account > site preferences> buyer requirements and set these preferences;
block buyers who
Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)

Have a primary postage address in a location I don't post to

Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)

Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Have a feedback score of 5 or lower and haven't gone through phone verification

Are currently winning or have bought 5 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 5 or lower

select apply to all listings

then go to

postage preferences > exclude postage locations from your listing > and exclude the international locations
this should make it a little safer for you to sell your phone.

cheers Dave
Thanks! I ticked all boxes in the postage prefrence part, Australia isn't in the oceania part so I ticked them all.