Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 17-02-2007, 10:05 PM   #31
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtreme F6
mark arent the r888's what everyone used to run before the MT's became popular?
There may have been a few who had them the Toyos were very pricey.
Nitto's were used a bit if you could get them.
Rod used BFGoodrich drag radials @ $700 ea imported from the States was the only place could get a 18'' then.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 10:55 PM   #32
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I ran the Ra1's and have the R888,the RA1 heats up alot quicker,I havent tried the softest 888 just the intermediate,I cant see them being as soft as the RA1 though,and thus not as good for drag racing,the RA1 is a wet weather circuit tyre primarily,I get 4 good laps on the circuit with them till they start squeeling,the 888's take a lap or two to get on song and hold on longer,I have run as quick a 60' at WSID with the 245/55/16 RA1 as I have run with the 235/60/15 M/T ET street.
Thats doing good in my book for a legal road tyre..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2007, 11:18 PM   #33
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
There may have been a few who had them the Toyos were very pricey.
Nitto's were used a bit if you could get them.
Rod used BFGoodrich drag radials @ $700 ea imported from the States was the only place could get a 18'' then.

ahhhh yes thats what it was mate your correct, its the nittos i was thinking off

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Xtreme F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 03:29 PM   #34
XRchic
Hello

Hmmm ok. Thanks for all the input guys. I should add that I have NO intention of ever driving them on the street anyway, I just want them for the drags.

Chris also made a really good point that I never thought of. I think it is particularly relevant to my situation as my car is not exactly powerful, so the extra weight would have a bigger impact. So basically I need something as small/light but as grippy as possible compared to regular street tyres. Does that mean going down to 15s or so? And getting some steelies to put them on I guess..

I guess I am just thinking that my current tyres (Yokohamas) wont cut it at the drags once I get the 4.11s, LSD and new clutch - not necessarily more power (although will be getting new headers, cat and cat back, and an edit so there may be some increase) but the driveline will be allowing more power to get to the tyres, which may well not grip enough....

Anyways, I am still thinking... LOL.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 03:39 PM   #35
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

use 15's if they fit over your brakes, the smaller the rim diameter, the larger the sidewall, the larger the sidewall, the more flex which will place more tyre on the ground to get better traction

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 03:55 PM   #36
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XRchic : Light weight = the ones I used to run. My 15" steelies with 205/65/15" radial street tyres weighed more than my 16" alloys with 26/10.5/16 crossply tyres.

Those steel belts in the radial tyres weigh plenty. Now I've whacked radials on the 16" rims they weigh more than the 15's.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #37
XRchic
Hello

OK, we have been looking and it seems that we are going to have to go with 16s, probably 16 XT steelies.

Now it seems MT radials wont fit on these as they are 255s.

So looking at the Proxes, we have found two possible sizes in the R888:

225/50ZR16 92W, and 205/55ZR16 90W. One is wider but has a slightly smaller sidewall, and the other is a bit narrower with a bigger sidewall... which do you guys reckon would be better on a 16 inch XT rim?

Old 18-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #38
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
235/60/15 M/T ET street.
How much were they?

edit: woops, they wont fit - need 16s.

Old 18-02-2007, 08:11 PM   #39
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
How much were they?

If you go with the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 proxes you wont be dissapointed,the 225/15's cost $250 each,the 245/16 are more expensive,from memory still under $300 but its been a while since I bought the 16's...
Old 18-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #40
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How much were they?

15's will fit on your rear, need a 7mm spacer to clear the calipers, thats if you have std rear brakes as I run 15's on my BA.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 09:48 PM   #41
justa6
justa6

my mate just put mt 275 17's under his ute with 450rwkw, with the 19's it would bag 1 2 3 4 now on concrete, it squeels 1st then hooks up.
or is a 15 slick still gunna be better on the strip. and what size can be put on a 7" rim
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2007, 11:25 PM   #42
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
If you go with the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 proxes you wont be dissapointed,the 225/15's cost $250 each,the 245/16 are more expensive,from memory still under $300 but its been a while since I bought the 16's...
So to fit those on 16 inch rims, I would need XR 16s or something... at least for the 245s anyway...

Old 18-02-2007, 11:38 PM   #43
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

try to use the lighest weight wheels you can find or afford, a lighter wheel will accelerate quicker

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 12:00 AM   #44
F6BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6 XR6T
888's are great for circuit / motorkhana events, but not for drag racing. The RA-1's are better suited to drag racing.

Do you run the RA-1's or the T1- series?
Wish they made these in 19's....there isnt any decent motorsport tyre in this size :
XR8 Sprint winter white
GTF Octane manual

FS: ZF 6 sp trans & converter out of stock BF mk2 typhoon
F6BF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #45
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6BF
Wish they made these in 19's....there isnt any decent motorsport tyre in this size :
Is that because of the sidewall issue mentioned above, ie the sidewall would be too small to be flexible on 19s?

Old 19-02-2007, 01:08 PM   #46
CSV_LS1
I used to have a nice car

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6BF
Bridgestone should have by now released the Re01 tyre in 19" by now. They are a semi slick i was told. I spoke to a dealer early jan and they expected it to be out within a month at the time. Might be worth a shot.

CSV_LS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:17 PM   #47
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Jac

If you want Toyos let me know...I can get some here in Adelaide for you at a fairly good price.....I think Mark will vouch for that.

Cheers

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #48
SpoolMan

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 8888
Jac

If you want Toyos let me know...I can get some here in Adelaide for you at a fairly good price.....I think Mark will vouch for that.

Cheers

Brad
Yes Brad saved me around $90 retail of each tyre...and then delivered them to Melb.... : :eclipsee_

Old 19-02-2007, 01:51 PM   #49
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 8888
Jac

Cheers

Brad
Hey Brad, cheers!!! I reckon I might go for the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 Proxes, from what people above are saying, and I will just see if I can find some 16 inch rims to put them on...

How much room do they take up in the boot? LOL. Going to have to take them to and from Melbourne with all of the gear for a week stay, with the kids!!! Hehe.

Thanks heaps Brad, appreciate it! I will be getting in contact with you in a couple of weeks about it!

Jac

Old 19-02-2007, 02:05 PM   #50
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Quote:
Hey Brad, cheers!!! I reckon I might go for the 245/16/55 Toyo RA1 Proxes, from what people above are saying, and I will just see if I can find some 16 inch rims to put them on...

How much room do they take up in the boot? LOL. Going to have to take them to and from Melbourne with all of the gear for a week stay, with the kids!!! Hehe.

Thanks heaps Brad, appreciate it! I will be getting in contact with you in a couple of weeks about it!

Jac
Hey Jac

If you take both in the boot they will take up a heap of room. What I do is take my spare out and put one of the tyres in its place. If worst comes to worst and you need to put the spare on, it will get you to where you can get a new tyre.

Have you got a trailer.....you could always put the kids in the trailer...be nice and quiet

Seriously, let me know when you want them and I will arrange.

Cheers

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #51
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

For those interested we have been offered some excellent pricing on the Toyo Proxes RA1's although only in two sizes:

225/50R16 PXRA1 - $229.00 incl. GST,
235/45R17 PXRA1 - $319.00 incl. GST.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #52
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
For those interested we have been offered some excellent pricing on the Toyo Proxes RA1's although only in two sizes:

Cheers
Russ
excellent prices and the 16'' are app $80 ea cheaper than the M/T drag radial.

Quote:

How much room do they take up in the boot?
Jac just use one as your spare, leave it in the wheel well.
This way you only caring one extra wheel to the track, once at the track have your pit crew change them over.
If you go with the 17's you will only need to buy one alloy the same as what's on your car now.
17'' RA1 costing a bit more but now you only need one alloy.

Old 19-02-2007, 06:31 PM   #53
Doogstar
B-Series Moderator

You probably got a alloy spare in the F6, us poor XR6 owners only get a steel rim spare. :(

That's a great price on those Toyo's.

380rwkw - 11.68 @ 120.94mph 60ft=1.97
Custom Tune, Exhaust. injectors.1.2K Plazmaman 1.2K Plenum kit

Now with bigger turbo and 426rwkw.
Doogstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2007, 08:20 PM   #54
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogstar
You probably got a alloy spare in the F6, us poor XR6 owners only get a steel rim spare. :(

That's a great price on those Toyo's.
Your correct Doug, my BA XR Ute was the same a steelie as a spare..

Old 19-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #55
nugget378
Weezland

Quote:
So to fit those on 16 inch rims, I would need XR 16s or something... at least for the 245s anyway...
Thats what I used 16" EF XR rims..
Old 20-02-2007, 12:43 AM   #56
bigAl
THIS IS SPARTA!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw

Cheers
Russ

That is a very good price there, where abouts are you?
bigAl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2007, 01:32 AM   #57
F6BF

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSV_LS1
Bridgestone should have by now released the Re01 tyre in 19" by now. They are a semi slick i was told. I spoke to a dealer early jan and they expected it to be out within a month at the time. Might be worth a shot.

Thanks for the heads up mate, will check a few of the bridgestone dealers see what they have to say
XR8 Sprint winter white
GTF Octane manual

FS: ZF 6 sp trans & converter out of stock BF mk2 typhoon
F6BF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2007, 05:19 AM   #58
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

i use one of my drag rims as a spare 16" ba xls ute rims
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 07:06 AM   #59
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

how long do the prices last for and where do we order them from
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #60
SpoolMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwigybo
how long do the prices last for and where do we order them from
Send Russellw a PM.