Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #31
Phil B
Clevo power!

Default Re: iPhone, Android, Windows phone or Google?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyN View Post
Good point. iPhone and Blackberry are exclusive.....and that's how they keep their brand.

Did you see the new Blackberry Z10 or the HTC One M7?

I hope you're ok now.
Yes, I have seen their chargers go for up to $40 each. And one guy at my work recently bought an ipad, but couldn't charge it for a few weeks because he needed the special new adapter plug and couldn't buy it locally.

No I haven't really, I tend to stay way behind in phone technology, I'm using a handed down HTC Desire at the moment. I did look at the One M7 though and it does look good.

Yes I am all good now I think, was before Christmas when I was in hospital.

The purple monster, daily BA XR6 turbo.

Scale Lego Technic XB Coupe with working bits! Build thread
Phil B is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at the Nokia windows phone and found what you did. it has yet to reach a stage where it stands out but it has potential. the lack of apps compared to other platforms was a deal breaker for me but I see that changing over the next couple of years if more manufacturers come online. I'll be due for a new phone in about 18 months and will be looking at the android offering and the windows phones as well. unless Apple change their restrictive business practices and their locking things down too tightly ( and unless they allow flash) Apple will not be a part of my research, it's not a matter of how good the phone is just I don't like companies tying my equipment down to only use accessories and apps that are approved by then ( read pay huge royalties to them)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy View Post
Having had the Iphone, the Android phone and now a windows phone, I would say the Android takes the cake. The windows phone (Lumia 920) is a great phone, with a fantastic set up, but it's just not reached that point of advancement yet that it's a show stopper. It has all the things I need, but it is a bulky phone, and can be quite cumbersome sometimes. I use it for a lot of microsoft office based stuff, so it's fantastic for that...but not so good for Facebook - the windows app is shizer and I've opted for a third party app to do what Windows should have done in the first place... :\

It all comes down to personal taste, but I think I'll be going back to Android for my next phone, simply because the UI with Windows just isn't at that point yet. Give it six months, and it will probably be there...maybe...

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Good point. iPhone and Blackberry are exclusive.....and that's how they keep their brand.
More so Apple. My brother has a Blackberry and I use his charger all the time to charge my HTC. His charger is actually a Samsung product. "Different, Different... but Same"

Micro USB thinggo I think it's called.

The only thing exclusive with Blackberry was how their devices handled internet. Often saw how Blackberry wasn't supported with some mobile wifi plans. Is it still the case?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #34
basteve
real aussies drive aussie

I like the android system. Samsung Galaxy S 2 fantastic phone. I like the added security when on holidays I carry extra batteries with me and I can swap a flat one and continue using the phone indefinately ( have 6 batteries fully charged on standby. The micro sd card is brilliant. I can swap these also and have tons of movies to watch. The versatility of changeable batteries is fantastic. A flat Iphone in the bush concerns me why i don't get iphones that dont support expandable sd card memory.
basteve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #35
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and I like it. It works, it sends messages, it makes calls, it receives calls, it connects to my Broadband connection and I can access the net when I am out and about, what more could you want?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #36
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Realistically any and all phones will do the basic stuff you need. Brand/OS is a personal choice.

If you want the 'best on offer'. Well you cant really look past the M7 (HTC ONE) New Sony Xperia's, Samsung S4. Nokia has new phones coming out in the not so distant future. There are also rumours that Apple is working on the IPhone 6, not 5s as the 5 wasn't as well received as they had hoped.

I have a HTC One XL currently, When the HTC One actually lands in country (between 1 - 2 weeks) I'll be picking one up.

I've never really been a fan of Apple, I've had them, as well as pretty much every other major phone released in the last 8 years.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

htc one looks like a good phone by the reviews, a little down on battery life though, i guess that is the cost of having a slim pretty case, non removable battery too.
an 18 minute review between the two here if you wish to look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHK71jWvRSY
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #38
IDT
Marko

Like my galaxy note II, half blind, fat fingers. The kids at work laugh at me but I dont have to correct every word I write. I got it because I was considering a new phone and tablet for when I travel. It does both jobs well enough. I actually watched a movie on it when i stupidly travelled Jokestar airlines. Wasnt great but was bearable. Battery life is proving good, have never run out (longest off the charger was 4 days
Old 04-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #39
Kevxr8Leexr6

Ha ha , like the above post, without goggles on I couldn't see the old phone. so when looking to upgrade the screensize was paramount as is the text size . so the iphone ticked them boxes for me. but n saying that. the lovely went with the lg as you have. gotta say its really good.
Kevxr8Leexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #40
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I picked up a Galaxy Note II recently. After 2 hours, using my old SGS I was so weird, with such a small screen. You don't really notice it in your pockets either, unless you have shallow pockets. Can't complain with ~3 day battery life either.

I can't stand using an iPhone, they are so small, and there is none of the freedom you get with android phones (different launcher, clocks etc).
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #41
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf View Post
I have a Samsung Galaxy SII and I like it. It works, it sends messages, it makes calls, it receives calls, it connects to my Broadband connection and I can access the net when I am out and about, what more could you want?
I know a bunch of people who say they will never part with their SII and it's the right size too. Even the soon to be released S 4 doesn't appeal to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I looked at the Nokia windows phone and found what you did. it has yet to reach a stage where it stands out but it has potential. the lack of apps compared to other platforms was a deal breaker for me but I see that changing over the next couple of years if more manufacturers come online. I'll be due for a new phone in about 18 months and will be looking at the android offering and the windows phones as well. unless Apple change their restrictive business practices and their locking things down too tightly ( and unless they allow flash) Apple will not be a part of my research, it's not a matter of how good the phone is just I don't like companies tying my equipment down to only use accessories and apps that are approved by then ( read pay huge royalties to them)
About Apple - doubt it. In about 18mo from now when you start looking you'll find Apple is the same. Same ole same ole. By then the Windows phone or an android will be even better, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
More so Apple. My brother has a Blackberry and I use his charger all the time to charge my HTC. His charger is actually a Samsung product. "Different, Different... but Same"

Micro USB thinggo I think it's called.

The only thing exclusive with Blackberry was how their devices handled internet. Often saw how Blackberry wasn't supported with some mobile wifi plans. Is it still the case?
Blackberry phones are offered by the major carriers here, just might not be the same models or it could be a different color. Like Verizon is going to have the white Z10, a color none of the other carriers are going to offer. AT&T and Tmobile are going to sell the color black, I think AT&T starts selling it a wk later. Or, here in the US you could always buy the unlocked phone and use it with your carrier. I did that recently and ended up it wasn't a good idea....so I'm sticking with phones my carrier offers now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basteve
I like the android system. Samsung Galaxy S 2 fantastic phone. I like the added security when on holidays I carry extra batteries with me and I can swap a flat one and continue using the phone indefinately ( have 6 batteries fully charged on standby. The micro sd card is brilliant. I can swap these also and have tons of movies to watch. The versatility of changeable batteries is fantastic. A flat Iphone in the bush concerns me why i don't get iphones that dont support expandable sd card memory.
See? Another S 2 fan! Reviews of the S3 were good but not as good as expected....so Samsung is betting on the S4 to be a hit!

Last edited by NickyN; 06-04-2013 at 12:17 AM.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2013, 12:13 AM   #42
nstg8a

Another s2 fan here too, I've been hanging waiting for the s4 to come out. The s3 IMO,wasn't that much of an upgrade, but I'm hoping the 4 will be a massive improvement.

The only thing I'm finding now is my s2 is getting real glitchy, has faults one day then never again, people call e and they say it goes straight to my message bank, or even just says I'm unavailable, yet my phone shows zero missed calls. I sorta blame Optus, they very much blame my phone lol.
But they're doing a pretty good deal n the Sony phone and handicap combo at the moment, so that's tempting...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #43
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ben View Post
I picked up a Galaxy Note II recently. After 2 hours, using my old SGS I was so weird, with such a small screen. You don't really notice it in your pockets either, unless you have shallow pockets. Can't complain with ~3 day battery life either.

I can't stand using an iPhone, they are so small, and there is none of the freedom you get with android phones (different launcher, clocks etc).
Very true, I hear that a lot from guys more than girls (about the size of iPhones), esp guys with bigger hands. I'm glad your Note II meets your needs and wow, ~3 days is awesome batter life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69
Realistically any and all phones will do the basic stuff you need. Brand/OS is a personal choice.

If you want the 'best on offer'. Well you cant really look past the M7 (HTC ONE) New Sony Xperia's, Samsung S4. Nokia has new phones coming out in the not so distant future. There are also rumours that Apple is working on the IPhone 6, not 5s as the 5 wasn't as well received as they had hoped.

I have a HTC One XL currently, When the HTC One actually lands in country (between 1 - 2 weeks) I'll be picking one up.

I've never really been a fan of Apple, I've had them, as well as pretty much every other major phone released in the last 8 years.
Lmk how you like the HTC One when you get it? I'm curious.

You can charge the new One on your computer, right? <i think> Oh and today (April 5) was the first day to pre-order the HTC One....I didn't though. I'm sure one of my friends did, I'll ask around tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
htc one looks like a good phone by the reviews, a little down on battery life though, i guess that is the cost of having a slim pretty case, non removable battery too.
an 18 minute review between the two here if you wish to look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHK71jWvRSY
It does look like a great phone, I think I heard somewhere that you can charge the HTC One with your computer....only Verizon isn't featuring that phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDT
Like my galaxy note II, half blind, fat fingers. The kids at work laugh at me but I dont have to correct every word I write. I got it because I was considering a new phone and tablet for when I travel. It does both jobs well enough. I actually watched a movie on it when i stupidly travelled Jokestar airlines. Wasnt great but was bearable. Battery life is proving good, have never run out (longest off the charger was 4 days
Yes, let them laugh, if you like your Note II that's all that matters! Right? Right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevxr8Leexr6
Ha ha , like the above post, without goggles on I couldn't see the old phone. so when looking to upgrade the screensize was paramount as is the text size . so the iphone ticked them boxes for me. but n saying that. the lovely went with the lg as you have. gotta say its really good.
I take it "the lovely" is your other half? She's ok with the size from the start?

Yes it is a really good phone and I'm playing with it and getting a bit more used to it now. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #44
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What do you mean charge them on your computer?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:23 AM   #45
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Another s2 fan here too, I've been hanging waiting for the s4 to come out. The s3 IMO,wasn't that much of an upgrade, but I'm hoping the 4 will be a massive improvement.

The only thing I'm finding now is my s2 is getting real glitchy, has faults one day then never again, people call e and they say it goes straight to my message bank, or even just says I'm unavailable, yet my phone shows zero missed calls. I sorta blame Optus, they very much blame my phone lol.
But they're doing a pretty good deal n the Sony phone and handicap combo at the moment, so that's tempting...
And yet another S2 fan! I really missed out on this phone! You won't have to wait much longer, so if you get the S4, lmk how you like it?

I know ppl with the S3 and some of them are having problems with the phone glitching and blacking out on them. So whatever that is, I hope it's been resolved with the S4.

The weirdest message I got on their phones when I called them went something like this: "please enter your password to access your voice mail." I was like, "WHAT? it's not even my phone.....weird."
Old 06-04-2013, 12:24 AM   #46
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69 View Post
Something about being able to use a USB charger to connect it to your computer to charge it rather than plugged into an outlet.

Looking for info on that now, ..........but that's what the sales guy told me when I was looking for a phone. He said USB charger. Hmm...

The 4S can be wirelessly charged, but I know he said USB too.

Last edited by NickyN; 06-04-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT69 View Post
When I plug my HTC into my laptop I can choose between 'Charge' or 'Use like a USB device'.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #48
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Something about being able to use a USB charger to connect it to your computer to charge it rather than plugged into an outlet.

Looking for info on that now, ..........but that's what the sales guy told me when I was looking for a phone. He said USB charger. Hmm...
Many phones these days have a charger in 2 parts. Wall socket to usb port transformer, then an usb to micro usb cable. You can then use this cable to plug into your computer to charge (at a slower rate) or for data transfer. Thats my experience from HTCs anyway. The cable on my charger died last week, only $2 for a new cable instead of having to buy a whole new charger. Thats another plus of that setup.

3 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 01:28 AM   #49
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm............maybe mine can too then. The instructions are umm...in the box, still sealed in plastic. And the box is in the handle bag. Over there.

I guess I should read it....
Old 06-04-2013, 02:16 AM   #50
Phil B
Clevo power!

Quote:
Hmm............maybe mine can too then. The instructions are umm...in the box, still sealed in plastic. And the box is in the handle bag. Over there.

I guess I should read it....
Dont be ridiculous!

2 users like this post:
Old 06-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #51
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil B View Post
Many phones these days have a charger in 2 parts. Wall socket to usb port transformer, then an usb to micro usb cable. You can then use this cable to plug into your computer to charge (at a slower rate) or for data transfer. Thats my experience from HTCs anyway. The cable on my charger died last week, only $2 for a new cable instead of having to buy a whole new charger. Thats another plus of that setup.
yeah i used to charge my acer on the computer, it would charge the phone either while the computer was running or asleep through the usb port, can`t see why it would`nt do the note 2 as well but just at a slower rate than the factory charger.
i have`nt given it a go as yet.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #52
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just wondering have any of you guys used the video phone thing, or use it on a regular basis??
my brother rang me up the other day on my note, i answered the phone to see his big boofy head laughing his head off like a little school girl, i said to him oh this is cool (my first time using a video phone),
i said " what are you laughing at" ........... he panned his phone so i could see the toilet paper roll.............. good grief .
Old 07-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #53
ausrichie
Starter Motor

Haha....nice
ausrichie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #54
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
When I plug my HTC into my laptop I can choose between 'Charge' or 'Use like a USB device'.
Ok yeah that's not really a new feature though. I thought he was talking wireless charging or something, Which I think it also has. Not sure as its a one piece aluminium body.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:04 AM   #55
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Sad days indeed finally updating from an old school nokia design (where the numbers are still on the phone face, uhh, it had a camera)

I now have a Windows "smart" phone, Nokia Lumia 920. Slowly getting used to the size of it but the big issue is how they seem to make everything you do with phones all tech/intergrated/internet like.
This phone has mutilated SMS text messages. I liked inbox/sent message folders but now they display like some kind of continuous instant messenger bubble.

Being a shift worker, nokias old timed profiles was the best feature ever. I could put my phone on silent til 3pm. Can't seem to do that with a "smart" phone but hey, it can do loads of other stuff that I'll likely never fully utilise.
By default, every single app seems to want to secretly collect your info, track your usage etc so they can go on to rule the world. You really have to delve in to settings to turn half of the crap off.

Wireless charging, i think is a nokia only feature at the moment but you still need to buy a pad and place it on that pad (the pad IS plugged in, you guessed it, via a wire) but I guess it is proximity charging.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #56
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

With all this talk of charging, why have we not seen a phone with solar cells that trickle charges the battery when it's sitting around - like what a calculator has???

I know the power demands are very different, but every little bit would help, especially if you can leave the phone in direct sunlight when it isn't being used.

3 users like this post:
Old 08-04-2013, 11:35 AM   #57
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
With all this talk of charging, why have we not seen a phone with solar cells that trickle charges the battery when it's sitting around - like what a calculator has???

I know the power demands are very different, but every little bit would help, especially if you can leave the phone in direct sunlight when it isn't being used.
My guess is because you aren't supposed to leave them in direct sunlight. Damages the screen or something i'm guessing.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:35 PM   #58
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landau Stable View Post
My guess is because you aren't supposed to leave them in direct sunlight. Damages the screen or something i'm guessing.
So put the panels on the back

Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #59
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADED6 View Post
Sad days indeed finally updating from an old school nokia design (where the numbers are still on the phone face, uhh, it had a camera)

I now have a Windows "smart" phone, Nokia Lumia 920. Slowly getting used to the size of it but the big issue is how they seem to make everything you do with phones all tech/intergrated/internet like.
This phone has mutilated SMS text messages. I liked inbox/sent message folders but now they display like some kind of continuous instant messenger bubble.

Being a shift worker, nokias old timed profiles was the best feature ever. I could put my phone on silent til 3pm. Can't seem to do that with a "smart" phone but hey, it can do loads of other stuff that I'll likely never fully utilise.
By default, every single app seems to want to secretly collect your info, track your usage etc so they can go on to rule the world. You really have to delve in to settings to turn half of the crap off.

Wireless charging, i think is a nokia only feature at the moment but you still need to buy a pad and place it on that pad (the pad IS plugged in, you guessed it, via a wire) but I guess it is proximity charging.
There is also a wireless charger for the note2, it has the pad thing as well.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #60
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To add to my much earlier post in the thread, I have to say I'm loving having internet on the mobile, regardless which phone you get , once you have the luxury of internet where ever you are, you will wonder how you got on without it , you just do not realise how much of your life is spent waiting. You wait for a train , a doctors, wait for your takeaways, to get your car serviced, etc, etc,
I was out on the road today and got a call from a family member to pick something up, I had no idea where to find the item, a quick look on the net I found the website with the adress and a pic of phone which I pressed, it started ringing, I did'nt even have to dial a number, I enquired if they had the item and I was away................... the convienience , bloody fantastic, loving my smart phone.
The note 2 is a biggy as well, it did feel a bit strange at first, ut I'm getting used to it and becoming adept to using it one handed at times, my only worry with the big phone is some of my shirts have smaller pockets and I can see me forgetting about one day and bending down to have it fall on th.e deck.
But I'm looking for some shirts and maybe a vest with an internal pocket to over come this, in short I love my big smart phone.