Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-12-2011, 09:38 PM   #31
LukeyST
ST fan

Default Re: Light in the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Did you mean Galaxy. I dont think there is a very good likely hood of their being life in our solar system apart from earth ....
I believe he did in fact mean solar system and im with him on this one.

If there is other life within our solar system I reckon it will be on the many moons orbiting Jupiter and/or Saturn. Both planets have over 60 objects orbiting them, although only a handful of these are large, Jupiter for example has 4 reasonably sized 'moons'.

We still know very little about these moons/objects, and although they are cold (relative to us) there is still a chance one might contain what is needed to harbour life, even if this 'life' is very different to what we consider life here on earth.

Back to the main topic, I find it very interesting to hear such stories but more often than not they have a simple explanation. Still, makes you think.
Old 30-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #32
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man
Did you mean Galaxy. I dont think there is a very good likely hood of their being life in our solar system apart from earth. And even then I'm debating whether there is intelligent life in our solar system
No, our Solar System. There are a couple of moons around both Jupiter and Saturn that may well sustain life. I'm not talking about intelligent life, just life.

For instance, Enceladus;

http://www.nature.com/news/2011/1105....2011.337.html
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 10:01 PM   #33
gtfpv
GT

MY KIDS JUST CAME IN AND CAUGHT ME READING THIS THREAD . I HAD TO EXPLAIN THE LIKELY HOOD OF EXTRA TERRESTRIAL LIFE TO THEM .( sorry caps) .
we discussed , in my view . they would be so advanced to travel to us that they wouldnt be interested in us . they would know all about us already . they would only be scientists , most of them would be on thier own planet , not in space ships , most of them would be interested in thier own life .
and the likely hood that most of them wouldnt be in advanced space ships is higher than the likely hood of the ones that are by how many fold ????
so quite logically . i think they are there , but its not really our business , and they couldnt give a flying omellette about us and just fly around viewing . if they are there in space flying around . imagine the percentage of intelligence that would require over all life form . it wouyld be like a guzzilion to one life form that cant travel through interstellar space . either that or most of them can , in which case we'd rate as less than zoo creatures .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #34
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
MY KIDS JUST CAME IN AND CAUGHT ME READING THIS THREAD . I HAD TO EXPLAIN THE LIKELY HOOD OF EXTRA TERRESTRIAL LIFE TO THEM .( sorry caps) .
we discussed , in my view . they would be so advanced to travel to us that they wouldnt be interested in us .
What would be the point in travelling this far if they weren't interested?

Granted, the technology required to travel and sustain a crew over vast distances (if even possible) would make us look like we're still fascinated by fire from striking two stones - but a life sustaining planet with such an important and harmonious relationship to our moon would be a place that would tempt more investigation beyond cornholing a few hicks in the deep South.

Suns don't last forever and the Universe is a dangerous place. An intelligent race would do well to seek out habitable alternatives to live.
Old 30-12-2011, 10:28 PM   #35
vxssm6
Silhouette TS AWD

About a week or so ago I was traveling near the nsw and Queensland border north of a town called dirranbandi, about 4am and saw a bright green almost flurenscent ball of light appear from nowhere in the sky and shoot off into the distance. Two days later traveling back south about 2 hrs south of charters towers, I saw a very similar thing again in the sky but this time it seemed to follow the car for some distance (about 5 kms) and then disappeared again. Has to be some logical explanation for it all, but very weird to say the least. Even more so that you have seen something similar around the same time in a similar place...
vxssm6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 01:16 AM   #36
V8 6I

Most likely Santa delivering late presents.
V8 6I is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 01:22 AM   #37
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxssm6
About a week or so ago I was traveling near the nsw and Queensland border north of a town called dirranbandi, about 4am and saw a bright green almost flurenscent ball of light appear from nowhere in the sky and shoot off into the distance. Two days later traveling back south about 2 hrs south of charters towers, I saw a very similar thing again in the sky but this time it seemed to follow the car for some distance (about 5 kms) and then disappeared again. Has to be some logical explanation for it all, but very weird to say the least. Even more so that you have seen something similar around the same time in a similar place...
Sounds like the mysterious Min Min lights..
Old 31-12-2011, 07:08 PM   #38
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hmm, maybe we saw the same thing...
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2011, 08:16 PM   #39
yakcam
I drank what?

Swamp gas, trust me.

Hey, wanna see my new torch?...

Sorry Man, I couldn't help myself

Cheers,

Kraig
Old 31-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #40
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

mid `90s,
me and 2 mates camping on a cleared mountain top in the middle of wollemi national park http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=-33...:actbar-saveto

a clear winter night looking out at the stars and noticed a plane?? coming towards us far out to the west, watched it for a bit then it suddenly turned to head head north for a maybe a minute before turning back south. zig zaged around for a few minutes moving pretty fast ( looked too fast for a plane that far away). it seemed to be zipping around the same same area back and forwards for a while then shot off towards the south like a shooting star. quicker then any airplane could travell.

no drugs or alcohol involved .

got home and was telling my father and he said that he had seen it as well from his front verandah, about 6 months later another guy was telling us about the strange lights he had seen that same night. he didn`t know anything about what we had seen nor told anyone else incase they thought he was mad. lol.

i still have no idea what it might have been ?? guess that makes it a ufo.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 AM   #41
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is unidentified, and assuming it was not an hallucination or light trick (I see crazy reflections off my glasses at night) then it was also an object. Depending on the angle and patterns of motion it was likely flying.

Ummmm ... yes U. F. O.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 AM   #42
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakcam
Swamp gas, trust me.

Hey, wanna see my new torch?...

Sorry Man, I couldn't help myself

Cheers,

Kraig
Men in Black 3 is coming this year!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #43
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just because you see something you don't immediately recognise in the night sky, doesn't mean you should automatically jump to "must be an alien spaceship"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #44
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Brazen, did this object change direction gradually or did it do it abruptly without slowing down?
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2012, 02:39 PM   #45
z80
Banned

Probably a weather balloon or other easily explained atmospheric disturbance....
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #46
chuckey
SKIDDER

oh i have a huge interest in ufo's/aliens and although iv'e never seen one i do believe they visit earth, i know i know "why would they visit us" "we are so technologically un-advanced compared to them" BUT we have figured out how to commit a serious act that could/can have really negative impacts on our own and sorrounding solar systems - we know how to detonate an atomic/nuclear bomb, the shockwaves and radiation from the bombs we have detonated would of resonated throughout the galaxy and society's with advanced technology and scientific studies would of noticed these events and would be curious to how/why/who/what created/caused them, to state that "why would they want to visit us because of our inferioirurity" is almost like drawing a parrelal to a dinosaur saying "one day a meteorite might hit the earth and wipe us out, but what are the chances hahaha" well mr dinosuar found out the hard way that sometimes things that seem statistically unlikely can/will unfold, perhaps the alien(s) (there may be multiple races of aliens visiting us) are so advanced that they understand that contacting us on a major scale will cause huge upheavel in our religiuos/social/legal and everyday life, odds are there is life out there, sometimes its best to have a closed mind to keep the rawness of a potential reality at bay, no one wants to have to re-write the bible and include aliens and there religions, just like no one wanted to believe in dinosaurs untill to many bones were excavated and (psuedo) science had to step in and give plausible theories in the mid-late 17th century.
we are not alone people
chuckey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2012, 10:46 AM   #47
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckey
we know how to detonate an atomic/nuclear bomb, the shockwaves and radiation from the bombs we have detonated would of resonated throughout the galaxy and society's with advanced technology and scientific studies would of noticed these events and would be curious to how/why/who/what created/caused them, to state that "why would they want to visit us because of our inferioirurity"
Radiation emitted from our own Sun (not counting Coronal Mass Ejections or the billions of other stars between us and them) would mask every single nuclear device on Earth if detonated simultaneously let alone the odd detonation. Radio waves are a more likely method of detection and one we employ in search of what's out there. Problem with these methods is they take time to travel to their destination, we've only been emitting tell tale signs for a hundred odd years, in the scheme of things - that's virtually no time at all.

I still pose the question, if we have been visited by a far superior life form, why is it they're obsessed with diddling hicks in the southern states of the US? Don't get me wrong, I think it's incredibly naive to believe we're the only life in a vast universe but the vastness of that universe also works against you in an attempt to discover other advanced life forms.
Old 27-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #48
Deco28

Quote:
Arr, the good old towers. Seen plenty of lights round there, but most times I've been under the influence.

My mate though was on his property there one night, and he reckons all these stars just started appearing and seemed to form a shape in the sky that looked like a ship. Then it disappeared. Never seen him so creeped out; and he's not one to tell lies.
Deco28 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #49
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry mate that was just me in the Commodore giving it a bit.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:17 PM   #50
Spanrz
Hmmmmmmm!!

There are things called "Iridium Satellites". I don't think it's exactly what you guys are talking about, but it's worth a mention, so you know what they are.
These satellites give off a light flare, when then are at a certain angle to the sun. The solar panels reflect the light.

These flares can be somewhat bright, all of a few seconds though. Very much like a lighthouse beacon.
Spanrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 6I
Most likely Santa delivering late presents.
Australia Post couldn't deliver on time as usual.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:37 PM   #52
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What you witnessed based on your description and area was probably a min min light

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Min_Min_light
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:42 PM   #53
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

a few weeks ago i seen what was like a shooting star execpt that the light trail was a real green colour instead of the normal white light. or maybe i`m going colour blind ??
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 28-01-2012, 11:45 PM   #54
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
a few weeks ago i seen what was like a shooting star execpt that the light trail was a real green colour instead of the normal white light. or maybe i`m going colour blind ??
Probably means whatever was burning up in the atmosphere comprised of copper.
Old 28-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I think Monty Python's Eric Idle had the right idea when he wrote and sang 'The Galaxy Song'

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"
Old 28-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #56
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
I remember when a green shooting star went across the sky in Brisbane years ago and even made it in the news. They explained the green was caused by the meteor containing copper
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2012, 11:50 PM   #57
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six
I remember when a green shooting star went across the sky in Brisbane years ago and even made it in the news. They explained the green was caused by the meteor containing copper
i was thinking it must have been something like that.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 28-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #58
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I think Monty Python's Eric Idle had the right idea when he wrote and sang 'The Galaxy Song'

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth"

there is a lot of truth in that statment.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 28-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #59
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Granted, the technology required to travel and sustain a crew over vast distances (if even possible) would make us look like we're still fascinated by fire from striking two stones - but a life sustaining planet with such an important and harmonious relationship to our moon would be a place that would tempt more investigation beyond cornholing a few hicks in the deep South.
Don't worry mate. The aliens inadvertently must have logged onto LS1.com.au forums. All that talk about pushrods and stuff......
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #60
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

only thing i see are satellites going across the sky during the day and at night, other than that.. just another day out side..

we're stuck on earth forever, well until the sun decides it wants to destroy the earth, other than that... I can't see us going anywhere anytime soon :(

I don't like the feeling of working to have a lot of money in the face of death
I would be more satisfied to know I lived a life on the poor side and leave knowing I have lovely family and friends

So, if an alien took you by the hand and dragged you kicking and screaming on the ship, knowing you probably won't return, after all that money spent on your car(s).. I personally wouldn't be impressed sorry just trolling

Last edited by kyro_02; 29-01-2012 at 11:25 PM.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post