Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #31
xy500
Constant annoyance

did the bel air even have an engine in it?
Old 20-09-2009, 02:16 AM   #32
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XplosiveR6
You hit something at 80-90km/h and the car still drove?? Haha I don’t think so. People have died in crashes doing much less then that.

Have to agree, I have been to many crashes at less speed than that where the car was from the same era and not driveable at the end of it.
Old 20-09-2009, 09:49 AM   #33
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Rear ender. The car was driveable enough to get it off the road.
Old 20-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #34
cowboy
Cowboy

I spent years in the SES attending and cutting people out of crashes. One night I attended a head-on at 100kph between an XE and a VN. The VN went throught the XE like it was made of tinfoil. Surprised the crap out of me.
1930 Pontiac Landaulet
1932 Pontiac V8 sedan
1935 Pontiac sedan
1937 Pontiac 8 sedan
1948 Pontiac silver streak
1949 Ford F3 pickup
1953 Pontiac Chieftain
1955 Austin Champ
1957 Dodge Power Wagon
1967 Jeep Gladiator
1975 TD Cortina
1978 F100 4x4
2006 GU Patrol ute
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #35
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
What about the Smart vs an Original Mini?
I think you missed the point, probably deliberately, so you can feel better about plastics.

ramming 2 cars together only proves that at that angle, at that speed and under those conditions a possible real world result might happain if those two cars were to meet. it doesnt prove that new cars are stronger than old cars, far from it. in any case the belair's cabin although distorted was more or less intact, the fact they chose not to put a seatbelt on the dummy was the main cause of it looking so dramatic. its more an advertisement for seatbelts than anything.

personal experience tells me that the specific attributes of each car have far more to do with accident outcomes than how old they are. a family member rear ended a torana in an EL falcon. the EL came off with barely a scratch and the torana had a severely bent bumper and a crumpled quarter panel which effectively wrote it off. By the same token I had a mercedes CL180 rear end me in my P6 and I had to drive him to hospital because the mercedes was so badly damaged. my car's chrome bumper didnt even have a scratch on it, although the fibreglass corner piece was destroyed.

overall the video wasnt that spectacular, lets crash a hummer into a mini, followed by a '59 tank fairlane into an echo... doesnt prove anything but would be fun to watch!
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 04:09 PM   #36
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing what crumple zones and impact bracing can do, something the 59 probably didn't have any of.
Old 20-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #37
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

many years ago they began marketing a thing called "side intrusion bars" or some such thing, what it was was a length of "I" beam type stuff through the doors from front to back, with the manufacturer stating that it reduces cabin intrusion in a side on collision, and will strengthen the cabin in a frontender rearender from squashing front to rear - from memory this was in the early 90's, and at that time I was being fairly fullon with an XC GS rebuild, and spotted similar looking beams through the doors! from that day I became highly skeptical of what they marketed to me in terms of automotive safety.

For the record the beam inside the door was there in the first place for what appeared to be bracing for the door itself, and the door wouldn't exist at all without it as it wouldn't have the strength to.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #38
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_v
I think you missed the point, probably deliberately, so you can feel better about plastics.

the fact they chose not to put a seatbelt on the dummy was the main cause of it looking so dramatic. its more an advertisement for seatbelts than anything.
The bel air only came with front lap seat belts. They were not equipped with lap sash. Most cars did not see recoiling lap sash belts for over a decade later.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #39
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2
The bel air only came with front lap seat belts. They were not equipped with lap sash. Most cars did not see recoiling lap sash belts for over a decade later.
I am not knowledgable about 50s bel air seatbelt fitment...however, most 1960s falcons did not come equipped with standard seatbelts at all. next time you're at a car show have a look how many dont have them fitted now. when I purchased my '64 falcon I installed seatbelts, its a no brainer.

if you test two cars, one with a seatbelt, one without, the result is very predictable. it doesnt really tell you anything we didnt already know. as I said, the video shows the dangers of not wearing a seatbelt more than anything.
Old 20-09-2009, 10:29 PM   #40
Scott

Quote:
as I said, the video shows the dangers of not wearing a seatbelt more than anything.
Couldn't disagree more.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #41
Barry_v
rocknrolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Couldn't disagree more.
so lets say you and I had a head on collision, me in my p6 with recoil seatbelts, padded dash/steering wheel and collapsible steering column and you with your GT but with no seatbelt on. you think you would still be better off?
Old 20-09-2009, 11:35 PM   #42
Scott

Quote:
so lets say you and I had a head on collision, me in my p6 with recoil seatbelts, padded dash/steering wheel and collapsible steering column and you with your GT but with no seatbelt on. you think you would still be better off?
Why wouldn't I have my seatbelt on?
Old 20-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #43
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
did the bel air even have an engine in it?

it doesn't appear to does it? You're not the first one to doubt this if you look it up a bit. would make a MASSIVE difference if not present. of course the newer car would be safer but with an engine and transmission missing ....
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:19 AM   #44
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has the 2nd video been posted? The Belair's dash and steering wheel headbutts the driver, seatbelt or not he aint leaving that car with a pulse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d309QCuve7c&feature

If you think how far a dash has to come back to hit you in the head, imagine where the driver's floorpan and firewall is, probably about where your thighs are.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.

Last edited by XR Martin; 21-09-2009 at 12:37 AM.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:30 AM   #45
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang70
it doesn't appear to does it? You're not the first one to doubt this if you look it up a bit. would make a MASSIVE difference if not present. of course the newer car would be safer but with an engine and transmission missing ....
At time 52-54secs you can see the front of the sump (and just see the trans), and at 1:04 you can see the aircleaner assembly leaving the engine bay.

Old 21-09-2009, 03:00 AM   #46
xy500
Constant annoyance

Quote:
At time 52-54secs you can see the front of the sump (and just see the trans), and at 1:04 you can see the aircleaner assembly leaving the engine bay.
i see what looks somewhat like an aircleaner, no sign of sump or trans where you indicated. There's definitely an exhaust pipe.
I don't see how a big block v8 and gearbox just crumple into nothing in the belair though... looks a bit suss.
Old 21-09-2009, 10:10 AM   #47
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
i see what looks somewhat like an aircleaner, no sign of sump or trans where you indicated. There's definitely an exhaust pipe.
I don't see how a big block v8 and gearbox just crumple into nothing in the belair though... looks a bit suss.
It had an I6, not a V8.

Old 21-09-2009, 12:35 PM   #48
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
the belair's cabin although distorted was more or less intact
Don't think so, the solid bits of the Malibu nearly reached the B pillar! Arguably this was a worst-case scenario, being an offset crash with an inline 6cyl engine so the engine would have barely been involved, and the reverse angle A pillar being useless in a crash, but the result would not be a lot better in other similar cars. However the offset test is what is used today, and the chassis rails in the '59 would still have come into play.

Even the standard crash test speed was raised from 56 to 64km/h in recent years - cars that did ok with the earlier one would be horrible with the higher speed one.

There a quite a few crash tests between different types of vehicles done by the Fifth Gear tv show that are worth looking at.

mrbaxr6t - the XA & XB doors didn't have intrusion bars. I've seen them on some new car ads also, quite strange really when they have been in cars in this country for 30 years - simply Australia has been ahead of other places in some areas.

XR6 Martin - even with a lap-sash seatbelt you can hit the dash/steering wheel with your head, passenger included. I remember crash test pics from EB/ED era where this was clearly shown (they paint the dash or similar, then marks show on the dummy's heads).
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #49
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Id like to see a FG vs XY crash test.

I'd like to see an FG go head to head with a VE.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 01:29 PM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am not knowledgable about 50s bel air seatbelt fitment...however, most 1960s falcons did not come equipped with standard seatbelts at all. next time you're at a car show have a look how many dont have them fitted now. when I purchased my '64 falcon I installed seatbelts, its a no brainer.

if you test two cars, one with a seatbelt, one without, the result is very predictable. it doesnt really tell you anything we didnt already know. as I said, the video shows the dangers of not wearing a seatbelt more than anything.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #51
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
I love the 'they don't make em like they used to'. I laugh at this fallacy so hard, as with the '4wds are safer'. ahahha.

This is the VB/VC you're referring to: NOTE IT IS AT 100kmh rather than the usual speed which i don't know what is but is much much much slower.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgjtSilW8yM
And my other car: AU Falcon. I <3 structural integrity and airbags.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjJHZaBDlYU
I think the "They don't make them like they used to" thing started in the eighties when cars like the VB Commodore were introduced. It would be interesting to see how a 80's Commodore would compare to a 70's Kingswood. I do recall seeing a list of safe car in the early 90's and a WB Statesman was pretty high on that list.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 02:00 PM   #52
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
I'd like to see an FG go head to head with a VE.
I think you'd get the same result as if you crashed two FG's or two VEs. I'd be more interested in seeing FG/VE crashed into BA/VZs or even AU/VYs.

Even keener to see some of the Soft Roaders and 4WDs crashed into 5 Star sedans.
Old 21-09-2009, 02:14 PM   #53
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you'd get the same result as if you crashed two FG's or two VEs. I'd be more interested in seeing FG/VE crashed into BA/VZs or even AU/VYs.

Even keener to see some of the Soft Roaders and 4WDs crashed into 5 Star sedans.
Or ALL soft roader and 4WDs crashed into each other and resulting mess used as target practice for the RAAF
Old 21-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #54
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Or ALL soft roader and 4WDs crashed into each other and resulting mess used as target practice for the RAAF
Ouch... just in the process of buying a Lexus for the wife, you better watch yourself with comments like that : apparently an XR8 with a tray isn't suitable for her anymore :(
Old 21-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #55
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ouch... just in the process of buying a Lexus for the wife, you better watch yourself with comments like that : apparently an XR8 with a tray isn't suitable for her anymore :(
Well make sure that you block the right lane at 20km/h under the limit, park as close as possible next to ordinary cars in a carpark that you have to back out of regardless of how many empty spaces there are, park as close as possible to driveways out of shopping centres etc so no one can see oncoming traffic, park in the middle of a space that can normally take 2 vehicles, double park outside schools, move to the right lane in an overtaking zone but don't overtake, launch from a traffic light at exactly the same speed as the other lane regardless of how slow or fast it is, overtake in dangerous places then slow down to 10km/h under the limit.......

All this and more will be in the secret appendix of your owners manual in the section "Correct operation of this vehicle on roads".
There used to be a section titled "Correct operation of this vehicle off road" but it was deleted when is was found to be as useful as the "Correct operation of this vehicle on the moon" section as no one actually went there either.
Old 21-09-2009, 02:59 PM   #56
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well make sure that you block the right lane at 20km/h under the limit,
lol, we're not QLD'ers yet. Give us another 17 years and we'll have it down pat. Purely functional reason for the purchase that has little to do with it's offroad capabilities or any other pseudo-reason for buying a higher car... her back won't cope well with putting a snot-gobbler in and out of a sedan.

edit - and relevance to this thread is that we looked at other options and went Lexus for the luxoness and 5 Star rating.
Old 21-09-2009, 03:01 PM   #57
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol, we're not QLD'ers yet. Give us another 17 years and we'll have it down pat. Purely functional reason for the purchase that has little to do with it's offroad capabilities or any other pseudo-reason for buying a higher car... her back won't cope well with putting a snot-gobbler in and out of a sedan.
While you are there see if you can scam a test drive of the ISF. That is the one Toyota that I would seriously consider buying.......
Old 21-09-2009, 03:03 PM   #58
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man! that was a nice bel air! always brings a tear to my eye when i see these videos..

never the less i'd much rather drive a modern car daily then practically anything pre 1990.

70s and earlier were death traps. Ever seen what the steering columns can do to you in a head on? Impalement isnt pretty..
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #59
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:

Yeah but, yeah but, yeah but, I just wanna see the crash. Don't care about the brand.

Hypothetical, would Henry Gibson drive a soft roader or four wheeler if he was still alive in the Illinois Nazi chapter?
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #60
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

More info

Quote:

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety released on Thursday a video of a crash test between a 1959 Chevrolet Bel Air and a 2009 Malibu to demonstrate how car safety has improved. Not to simplify matters too much, but the Malibu won. And several Wheels readers speculated in comments that the car didn’t contain an engine, which would have affected the test.

Armed with these conspiracy theories, I returned to David Zuby, the senior vice president at the institute’s crash-test center in Virginia. He explained that when the institute went looking for a 1959 Bel Air to crash-test there was one thing the organization didn’t want and some things it did.

“We didn’t want to crash a museum piece,” Mr. Zuby said. “We were not looking for one that had been restored for museum or show quality.” But the vehicle had to have a solid structure, although a little surface rust would be acceptable.

They found what they wanted in Indiana. “The frame was sound and all the body panels were sound,” he said. It had a 3.9-liter 6-cylinder engine and was in driving condition.

The car was bought for about $8,500 and had about 74,000 miles on the odometer, which was broken. It was trucked to the test center in Virginia.

Mr. Zuby said the cloud that shows in the crash video wasn’t rust. “Most of that is road dirt that accumulates in nooks and crannies that you can’t get it,” he said.