Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-05-2010, 12:52 PM   #31
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i once got sidetracked after starting my first EL and leaving it for 15 minutes.. the next week i had to replace the head gasket.. Then again, you just need to sneeze in the wrong direction and you need to replace an E series head gasket..

I like to let my car run for at least 30 seconds before moving, a minute tops. Do you need to? probably not..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #32
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I just get in and drive, simple as that.

It's also had the occasional cold start flogging.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 01:29 PM   #33
JimNiki
71Mach1

Magnatec is all I use in the clevo stang...
I never used to like the sound (lifters) it made until it reached oil pressure.
Magnatec got rid of that sound.
Don't care how it works, just does...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #34
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I think the glazed bores idea came from Diesel engines, they don't like to idle without load,
that will eventually glaze the bores
I wish someone would tell that to all the truck & van drivers that refuse to turn off their motors while doing deliveries etc.

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 03:41 PM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
I wish someone would tell that to all the truck & van drivers that refuse to turn off their motors while doing deliveries etc.
some turbo engines need to idle down before shutting down(more commonly big diesels).
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #36
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofty
That's more to do with diesel generator sets, when the diesels run without
any load for extended time, they tend to flash burn the bores causing glazing...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 06:17 PM   #37
holland_ford

hey ive got an xf falcon with auto choke and i usually start driving off when the choke turns off which is about 5 mins is this bad for my motor someone please tell me
holland_ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #38
robbyg
72xa

Most of the old cars ya have to tickle the pedal for a minute or so on a cold mourning to keep the engine going as said earliar, the later models 15 seconds drive away, unless ya defrosting the windscreen, he may have shares in one of the oil companys.

Last edited by robbyg; 25-05-2010 at 07:07 PM.
robbyg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:10 PM   #39
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A good rev and handfull of ajax down the intake fix em glazed bores up........
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
LOWBA6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I usually start my EF then open the garage door. Reverse out then close the garage door. Then drive off so its going for near on 30 seconds before driving off.

When leaving work i usually start it then mess around plugging in the ipod and finding a song. Just a bit of a habit i spose....
LOWBA6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #41
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by holland_ford
hey ive got an xf falcon with auto choke and i usually start driving off when the choke turns off which is about 5 mins is this bad for my motor someone please tell me
A mechanic told me years ago when an engine is running with the choke on, or if a manual choke pulled out the fuel air mixture is a lot wetter and does wash away some of the oil off the cylinder walls, probably and old wives tale but i push in the choke in soon as i can, with auto chokes can take a while for them to click off when only at idle, me personaly let it run for a 30 seconds to a minute then drive off. Dont know about the carb on ya xf but some of the earlier ones you could adjust the time the auto choke stayed on for and the severity of it.
Old 25-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #42
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

little stab on the throttle should get auto choke off...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 07:38 PM   #43
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
A good rev and handfull of ajax down the intake fix em glazed bores up........

Got no ajax in the cupboard, is that stuff still around!! what about omo?
Old 25-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #44
2.8L Hilux
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I start mine up, let her idle for 20 - 30 seconds to let the oil reach the top of the engine, then drive gently till it's up to temp. It's just a habit after driving a diesel hilux for a year.
Old 25-05-2010, 08:30 PM   #45
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan
And them bloody old 6 cyl holden red motors where a bugger to drive when cold, they had you constantly ginning around with the choke. whilst it coffed & farted wheezed & stalled.
This has been my experience with at least 3 Holden Red 6s. What a nightmare on -3 degree mornings.
Old 25-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #46
xbrules
/[_][_]==DMC==[_][_]\

With my daily (2000 Turbo diesel Land Cruiser Prado) I simply jump in, start it and go. I never rev it past 2000 rpm when i'm pushing it anyways. the heater starts working within 30 seconds on that car.

with my XC, the auto choke hasn't worked for a while so i have to prime like buggery and then hold the revs up a bit for a minute so that it will idle properly. the coupe has a manual choke on it and so i have no real problems and i run it for a minute or so before moving off.

Daily: AU series 1 Fairmont Ghia
The Classic: Jan 79 ZH Fairlane, EFI'd 302 Clevo
The Project: Aug 73 Ford Landau Hardtop

During his lifetime, the average man will spend around 5 years behind the wheel of his car.... Make those years count... Drive a Ford.
xbrules is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 08:49 PM   #47
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Before I turboed my XR6, it would for some reason feel alot more powerful if I had let it sit idling for 5-10mins. And I mean it would actually fly, wheelspin through first and second gears.
Wish I new why.
Im also talking when the car was already warmed up, prior to letting it idle for 5-10 mins
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 08:54 PM   #48
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
Got no ajax in the cupboard, is that stuff still around!! what about omo?
bon ami !
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 25-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #49
PhantomBAXR8
Starter Motor

I was pretty sure that the whole reason to warm your engine up was so that the oil was thinner and could actually get through all the small oil holes inside your engine, like for bearings. Back in the day when your car didn't run properly while cold that was another good reason but now with advancements in technology cars run smooth at all temps so that would be the only reason left to warm them up. Although, if you take off straight away and take it easy 'til your engine reaches operating temp then surely this couldn't do much more damage than just idling.
'95 Cruiser trayback
'03 Yamaha R6
PhantomBAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #50
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Its actually better to drive it straight away as it warms the engine up quicker. Idling takes a couple of minutes to warm it up.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #51
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My wife is a shocker, she starts up and fats it down the street, I used to tell her not to......now I don't bother.
She also has a tendency to start the car ( at school after picking the kids up etc ) and leave it running while having a natter to her mates, (its bloody hot up here, air con for kids etc) sometimes for an hour or so......I used to tell her not to........now I don't bother.....
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #52
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonspeed
My wife is a shocker, she starts up and fats it down the street, I used to tell her not to......now I don't bother.
She also has a tendency to start the car ( at school after picking the kids up etc ) and leave it running while having a natter to her mates, (its bloody hot up here, air con for kids etc) sometimes for an hour or so......I used to tell her not to........now I don't bother.....
hehe ... my mrs is always telling me off for wasting money on the stang,
but she:

gets hair done every 3 weeks
gets nails done every 2 weeks
gets massage every 2 weeks
gets a ton of creams from the chemist regularly
gets new clothing every week
gets on my nerves daily!

but I waste money on the stang! (which is half hers anyway!)

violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
Old 25-05-2010, 10:42 PM   #53
robbyg
72xa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
hehe ... my mrs is always telling me off for wasting money on the stang,
but she:

gets hair done every 3 weeks
gets nails done every 2 weeks
gets massage every 2 weeks
gets a ton of creams from the chemist regularly
gets new clothing every week
gets on my nerves daily!

but I waste money on the stang! (which is half hers anyway!)

Is that all the mrs wants for ya to keep the stanga ya got it easy,good to hear that im not the only robinson cruso in this area, god love em
Old 25-05-2010, 11:06 PM   #54
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What everyone else has said about just taking it easy when you start out on a cold day.

Still from my observations of people, the only place you really need to leave a car for an excessive time idling, is on top of several thousand litres of fuel at the local service station. The car must also be left unlocked.

If you don't follow these precautions your bread will have gone stale by the time you have purchased it and unlocked and started the car again. Better to risk a fireball or someone stealing your car.

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2010, 11:16 PM   #55
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just went and grabbed my owners manual for my 2004 RAV4 and this is what it recommends.

Engine should be warmed up by driving, not in idle. For warming up, drive with smoothly turning engine until engine coolant temperature is within normal range.

Going to show this to my neighbour in the morning
Old 25-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #56
NEEDspeed

I've been warming up the ol' blue car for a while now (originally so I could give it some straight away) but now apparently I have to since having forged pistons installed. Something to do with the metalurgy of cast vs billet machined pistons. Anyone care to explain what happens between the 2 types?

Blueprint 2003 XR6. Forged internals 10.8cr engine.
NEEDspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #57
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEEDspeed
I've been warming up the ol' blue car for a while now (originally so I could give it some straight away) but now apparently I have to since having forged pistons installed. Something to do with the metalurgy of cast vs billet machined pistons. Anyone care to explain what happens between the 2 types?

Has to do with the size of a given piston when cold, or not at operating temperture. Certain pistons tend to shrink more when cold, requiring more time to get to correct size within the bore. However much more able to handle combustion processes from that point on. Some highly worked engines can sound horrible on cold start up.....
Auturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #58
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

I am a bit of a creature of habit on this one, that and I do not like the idea of any real revs until I am sure that oil has made it up to the top of the complex DOHC engine.

I normally start the car and then put my bag, wallet, phone and whatever else in the car. By the time I am driving out my drive it has been running about 30 seconds. I then drive nice and easy, keeping under 2000 rpm in the F6 (and Boss when we had them) and 3000 rpm in the Mini. I drive like that until the temp guage is up near normal (then it is time to get into it).

Shut down is the same for me, pull into the garage, remove all my stuff I need from the car and then shut the engine down. This is more important with both my cars now as they are both turbo but I used to do this with the Boss cars as well.

I have used this technique ever since my ED and have found it does me well. I got 330,000 km out of the ED with the only mechanical repair (that was not wear and tear such as brakes, shocks and filters etc) was replacing an ignition coil. When I traded it, it had no rattles from the engine, ran silky smooth and everyone that knew my car said it looked and drove like new.

Works for me, I will stick to it until someone can prove I am wrong.
Old 27-05-2010, 05:50 PM   #59
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I am a bit of a creature of habit on this one, that and I do not like the idea of any real revs until I am sure that oil has made it up to the top of the complex DOHC engine.

I normally start the car and then put my bag, wallet, phone and whatever else in the car. By the time I am driving out my drive it has been running about 30 seconds. I then drive nice and easy, keeping under 2000 rpm in the F6 (and Boss when we had them) and 3000 rpm in the Mini. I drive like that until the temp guage is up near normal (then it is time to get into it).

Shut down is the same for me, pull into the garage, remove all my stuff I need from the car and then shut the engine down. This is more important with both my cars now as they are both turbo but I used to do this with the Boss cars as well.

I have used this technique ever since my ED and have found it does me well. I got 330,000 km out of the ED with the only mechanical repair (that was not wear and tear such as brakes, shocks and filters etc) was replacing an ignition coil. When I traded it, it had no rattles from the engine, ran silky smooth and everyone that knew my car said it looked and drove like new.

Works for me, I will stick to it until someone can prove I am wrong.
Thats exactly what I do and I have never had an engine issue, ever. I just feel better knowing a little bit of oil has circulated before I have gone anywhere. No other reason other than habit.

My old XD clevo had to hit op temp before I went out of the garage otherwise it was a tight cranky a-hole until it was warm.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #60
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my 1997 GQ patrol (EFI petrol)
has electric choke,stabbin the gas wont turn it of
so it gets started and doesnt move till the idle drops
which is ruffly long enough to open the gates ect,
but not 5 mins
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post