Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2007, 07:30 PM   #31
harlz1

I Just wonder how many Holden HD riders might be persuaded to jump camps and add to sales if these vehicles were available? Food for thought Ford Aust?

I actually agree that HD is not as iconic in AUS as in the States but if you look at the idea in a little more detail, then you will understand that it would not cost Ford all that much to release editions with minor upgrades like stripes, badges and interior changes. The difference is here, with HD you already have an enormous, extremely loyal, and usually top end customer base to work with. It could be seen as a huge lever to Ford when trying to entice swaying buyers or encourage existing devotees to upgrade to new vehicles.
harlz1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:51 PM   #32
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why are people comparing a Harley Davidson to Japanese Sports Bikes?

They a 2 completely different thing’s, it’s like compare a XR8 Falcon ute to a John Deer Tractor no similarity what so ever.

As for a HD edition falcon Ute, I don’t know, it would be a 50/50 in Aus I think.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 08:56 PM   #33
bf tubs

ford and H D go way back its not like its a last 2 years thing
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #34
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
So, you haven't seen the V-Rod range ????
Yeah they're nothing special. By no means quick or fast. What sort of times have you seen them do?

Harley's aren't made for going fast, they're cruisers, thats why they don't interest me. They're comfortable, great looking, good sounding (debatable) and are iconic (to die hards), but when it comes to fast, Harley shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as the word. (Drag Bikes aside)
all4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 09:24 PM   #35
bf tubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4ford
Yeah they're nothing special. By no means quick or fast. What sort of times have you seen them do?

Harley's aren't made for going fast, they're cruisers, thats why they don't interest me. They're comfortable, great looking, good sounding (debatable) and are iconic (to die hards), but when it comes to fast, Harley shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence as the word. (Drag Bikes aside)
......sounds like rice to me????? HD is more ford than yammi kwakka or the rest of them .... the gtho may have been fast in its day but it aint no sports car but it was built on a family sedan any HD can be made to go fast just like the commom falcon just takes enthusiasts like us.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:50 PM   #36
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think when two massive mulit national companies like this decide to do something together - it isnt just slapped bang together and decided upon overnight.

There are obvious synergies between the two brands, and furthermore they would think that their target demographic is responsive to what their brands (combined) stand for.

Could you see an Avon/Ford relationship working? Avon/Holden definately (lol).

I think its a true sign of mutual respect that they are both willing to align their brand (which takes billions of $$$ to image and establish over the years.................and can be quickly ruined) with each other.

ute302 has made a brilliant point. There are plenty of rice bikes that will beat a harley - just like there are plenty of rice cars that will beat a GT for that matter. But hang on - how many on here own rice then?

Maybe we actually want that pride in our ownership of our Fords and our V8's due to their heritage (ie Bathurst, growing up when your dad had a hot GT, etc). It doesnt matter that rice is quicker!

Ford and Harley realise that about their client bases.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:14 PM   #37
all4ford
XW 351

Jap bikes aren't rice. When it comes down to it, in the same way we talk about rice with cars, is exactly what Harley is. An all show, no go motorcycle.

I'm not saying Harley is rice, because I think they are muscle bikes. But if any bikes are rice, it certainly aint the Jap bikes that come standard from the factory with 9 second time slips.

Anyway, I'll just agree that everyone has personal preferences and mine aren't for Harleys.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ford have an issue with people thinking that they are not Australian, this would be marketing suicide. And for what, a few hundred sales max, thats not going to cover the cost of advertising, new parts (if you want a different interior).
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:24 PM   #39
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People pointing out Harleys handle and go like **** are the same people going around saying wrestling is fake. No **** sherlock, thats not the point. They are the bike equivalent of hotrods. Everyone is different.

Harleys are the only vehicle which appreciates in value the day after its bought.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #40
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
People pointing out Harleys handle and go like **** are the same people going around saying wrestling is fake. No **** sherlock, thats not the point. They are the bike equivalent of hotrods. Everyone is different.
But they're not, Hot Rods have balls!
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6 Martin
Harleys are the only vehicle which appreciates in value the day after its bought.
I'll give em that, they're worth heaps and definately a good investment.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:40 PM   #41
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Jap bikes aren't rice. When it comes down to it, in the same way we talk about rice with cars, is exactly what Harley is. An all show, no go motorcycle.

I'm not saying Harley is rice, because I think they are muscle bikes. But if any bikes are rice, it certainly aint the Jap bikes that come standard from the factory with 9 second time slips.
In the interest of healthy debate i'd have to disagree 110% with your points here.

Harleys do go. Been on the back of a V rod? They go PLENTY.

Yeh sure - the Jap bikes come out of the factory (ummm a Japanese factory too) with 9 second slips. Just like japanese sports car - factory fast from a japanese factory.

Harley. American heritage, american made. Performance isnt the key point - you are buying a brand, a heritage, a way of life. You want to make a statement about yourself to others when you ride your Harley.

How customisable are the Jap bikes? I would say limited? Sure bang a pipe on it or what not - but thats about it.

Have a look at the aftermarket modification and accessories available for harleys. Mind boggling. If I can steal XR6Martins 'harleys are the hot rods of bikes' quote - he's spot on. Hot rodders customise their rides - thats why they have hot rods and not stock standard factory cars. Same with Harley riders.

Therefore I do think the labelling of Jap bikes as Rice and Harleys as hot rods as entirely accurate.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM   #42
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Your right, Harley's are rice :

XA - surely your a yank, whats wrong with something thats Japanese, you seem to have an issue there.

Either way this issue has nothing to do with how they perform (although you would like to align yourself with something that your company believes in).

What does Ford Australia and Harley Davidson have in common? Not much, if anything.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 09-01-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:20 PM   #43
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
In the interest of healthy debate i'd have to disagree 110% with your points here.

Harleys do go. Been on the back of a V rod? They go PLENTY.
I do not need to go on the back of a V-rod because I KNOW they do not compare (in the speed department) with Jap bikes. What goes "PLENTY" in your opinion is certainly not the same as mine. Just out of curiosity, have you ever been on the back of any sports or super sports bike made from 2000 onwards?

That my only point im trying to get across is these bikes are slow, anyone who thinks otherwise hasn't experienced fast. (Again there a few quick Harley's out there, none with any less than $10k spent on the engine)

They have many many pro's, but speed aint one of them. Those of you who have agreed this is true but still love them for all the other reasons, I can relate to, because they do have many good points. But SLOW SLOW SLOW.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 PM   #44
bf tubs

thanks xa coupsta not every one will realise wat it means maybe the rest of em have been corupted by american chopper and consider that rice??
but if u go back far enuf u will see that it takes more than a yoshi pipe to create an image
Old 09-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #45
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

And what image is that? How is it going to benefit Ford Oz?

The image I have, and most other people I know have isn't that flattering.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 AM   #46
harlz1

The majority of imported late model HD F150's are selling here for $100,000 +. Just go to Carpoint and search under Harley to see for yourself. People are willing and do pay these prices. The benefit to Ford Aust is simple - profit! With minimal outlay the company could command a price somewhere in between the current F-Series sticker price and $100,000 +. It's not rocket science.
Old 10-01-2007, 03:43 AM   #47
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Well I have never seen a Harley on the back of a XR8. Ive seen plenty of dirt bikes and jetski's though.

Also, its hard enough to try and shake the American tag without doing something like this.
Mythoughts exactly, why not band together - a

Taxi orange RTV ute with a KTM bike?
Yellow Tornado ute with a Yellow GSXR 750 ?
Black XR8 Ute with a Carbon Fibre R1

Many different combinations could work better.
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 04:36 AM   #48
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I have never seen a Harley on the back of a XR8. Ive seen plenty of dirt bikes and jetski's though..
Polyal, im sure there is even debate for both sides of the fence, but just as you have never seen a Harley on the back of a ute, i also have never seen a jet ski ride down the road. out:
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 08:07 AM   #49
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So .. does a Harley pickup get eight straight-out exhaust pipes - no mufflers - and seeming a exemption from noise emissions laws like it's motorbike namesake? Does it also get ignition timing set so that it sounds like it's 10 degrees retarded?

I think I might build up a nice V8 car and run just straight headers dumping under the body ... but put a Harley sticker on it, so it will be all alright when I take it in for rego at VicRoads
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 AM   #50
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So we are saying if Chopper (American Bike builders) got a hold of say the XR8, and then did there thing with it....? After seeing what they can do with bikes... it would look hella sexy on an XR8...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:43 AM   #51
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Which was your answer to "ever heard of a V Rod"

Ever heard of a VRSCR Street Rod? http://www.mcnews.com.au/testing/HD/...-rod/page1.htm

Or a screaming eagle V Rod destroyer? http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...004381,00.html

Or for that matter a Buell?...

There is a saying that goes along the lines of..
"Before engaging mouth, make sure brain is in gear"!

Mate, seriously, stick to cars!
:
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #52
harlz1

I have to admit that when it comes to Japanese bikes at least one company sees a relationship with bikes and cars.
Every Honda car out there could be seen as a Fireblade special !!!!!!
Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM   #53
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
XA - surely your a yank, whats wrong with something thats Japanese, you seem to have an issue there.
Ummmm.........you're wrong. Basically just like you have been all the way through this thread.

Aussie born and bred.

No I dont have a problem with Japanese at all. I simply was making those points in relation to the Harley Hot Rod/Jap Bike Rice tangent.

Quote:
What does Ford Australia and Harley Davidson have in common? Not much, if anything.
*Whoosh*

Hear that Polyal? Thats the sound of this thread going right over your head.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #54
all4ford
XW 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Which was your answer to "ever heard of a V Rod"

Ever heard of a VRSCR Street Rod? http://www.mcnews.com.au/testing/HD/...-rod/page1.htm

Or a screaming eagle V Rod destroyer? http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0...004381,00.html

Or for that matter a Buell?...

There is a saying that goes along the lines of..
"Before engaging mouth, make sure brain is in gear"!

Mate, seriously, stick to cars!
:
Neither of these bikes compare to Kawasaki ZX12, ZX14, Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa. For $60k you can run a 10 second pass and nothing more on it. Its a straight up drag bike. For $20k you can buy numerous jap bikes which WILL run a 9 sec pass and turn and brake.

Mate, how about you stick to cars, because you talking complete *****.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:45 PM   #55
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

The Harley Davidson F utes have been available in Ford dealers in NZ for some years. We sold plenty of them and they look very smart with the silver and black exterior paintwork and the Harley badging. I've never understood why they aren't available here.

I have driven them and found them very good. Check out some NZ Ford dealer sites for more on what is available there. The one we sold most was around the NZ$125,000 mark.

Regards
GT
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #56
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Polyal, im sure there is even debate for both sides of the fence, but just as you have never seen a Harley on the back of a ute, i also have never seen a jet ski ride down the road. out:
What? That makes no sense at all.

I made the Jetski comment because I see plenty of XR utes with them in the back, or towing them. Atleast XR customers can relate to the product.

You see XR Utes (and SS's) with Dirtbike or Watersports stickers on the back windows all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
*Whoosh*

Hear that Polyal? Thats the sound of this thread going right over your head.
LOL...

And what is the point exactly? No one cares about Harleys, I couldn't give two rats if it was the quickest, most agile bike on the market.

No offence but the idea wont work, no wonder Ford never replied to the guy. Im sure the XR utes are selling just fine at the moment.

Ford are in a tight spot, and will not put money (no matter how big or small) into a car that will yeld stuff all sales, and with a company that shares nothing with itself.

What is your point exactly?

Why dont we just make a Vegemite XR8 Ute. It can be black, with some orange and red pinstripes, you could even put the Ghia center console into it as its black, just like vegemite, wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsgt
I have driven them and found them very good. Check out some NZ Ford dealer sites for more on what is available there. The one we sold most was around the NZ$125,000 mark.

Regards
GT
Im not saying that the product isn't good, but $100k for a ute you have to be kidding.

Yeah the diehards will still buy it, but how many sales is it exactly? Not enough to warrant the effort to even keep spares for x amount of years.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-01-2007, 02:03 PM   #57
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

Im not saying that the product isn't good, but $100k for a ute you have to be kidding.

Yeah the diehards will still buy it, but how many sales is it exactly? Not enough to warrant the effort to even keep spares for x amount of years.[/QUOTE]

The people that buy them are quite varied (from memory). One upside to them was the fact that they had terrific resale value as a used/trade vehicle compared to a Falcon Ute. I chose an XR6 Ute & GT-P which was about the value of the H/D F Ute - bit too pricey for me.

In NZ, F Truck parts are ordered from the USA rather than being kept on the shelves. Bit of a wait sometimes but too expensive to hold in stock.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:14 PM   #58
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsgt

The people that buy them are quite varied (from memory). One upside to them was the fact that they had terrific resale value as a used/trade vehicle compared to a Falcon Ute. I chose an XR6 Ute & GT-P which was about the value of the H/D F Ute - bit too pricey for me.

In NZ, F Truck parts are ordered from the USA rather than being kept on the shelves. Bit of a wait sometimes but too expensive to hold in stock.
They have terrific resale because they are low in numbers. I dont think it would be the case with a ute version, as they would need to build a certain amount to break even.

I take it that the F Trucks are sold through independants, not Ford themselves (although we have 350's or 250's I think)? Manufacturers have to keep spares for x amount of years by law, importers do not.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 10-01-2007, 02:24 PM   #59
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

To be completely honest Polyal - I don't know the answer to where we got them from. NZ does have different stock to Australia though, in many car brands. We were a Franchaised Ford Dealer and I just assumed they were through Ford as were the other F trucks we sold. Quite prepared to be corrected on this one. We had normal Ford Warranty on them which is why I assumed this.

Cheers
GT
Old 10-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #60
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlz1
I am passionate about the Harley Davidson F-Series that Ford offer their American customers and would love to see similar offerings here in Australia without having to import and convert them. I have voiced my opinion on the Ford Australia website and was wondering if anyone else has a similar opinion to myself and if so encourage you to contact Ford as well. Harley Davidson sell more motorcycles here except for posty bikes than any other brand and I reckon Ford just might find that they might be able to sell a hell of a lot of vehicles that specifically cater for those bikers interests. It just doesnt have to be a F-Series but could include FPV vehicles or XR8 utes. The US have sustained the Harley relationship for many years now and must be making money out of it. I'm sure the same would work here.
Come on all you Harley fans lets stir Ford up and get them to cater for the masses, not just waste money on small batch editions like the Ambrose and Ingall XR's. Any thoughts out there??
Harley do not sell more motorcycles than any other brand apart from Postie Bikes. Harley do not have any model in the top ten on the sales charts. Honda lead from Yamaha overall, then it is Suzuki and Kawasaki and Harley just nudges ahead of KTM to take fifth place overall. In the first half of 2006 Harley sold 2570 motorcycles, KTM sold 2456. Honda sold 13,141, Yamaha sold 11,664, Suzuki sold 6,593 and Kawasaki sold 4,554.

A dealer fitted Genuine Ford option for Falcon and FPV utes includes a motorcycle kit with wheel wells, tie down points and ramp that affixes to the tailgate. I had one of these on my Turbo Falcon ute (Pictured), and transferred it to my FPV Tornado when I traded up.

There is a correlation between Yank pick ups and motorcycles though as Chevy Trucks and then Toyota trucks have sponsored the American Motocross and Supercross Championships over the years to the tune of many, many, many millions of dollars. Probably more millions of dollars that Ford Australia's total yearly marketing budget :->