Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #31
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Default Re: NSW seeks to impose its L, P1-P2 speed-limits nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
well you just told everyone that you took on a trip of 920km knowing you could only do 90km/h? then experienced microsleeps and lapses in concentration", but you could only think of the going faster solution rather than splitting that trip up....I dont really know how stupid you could really be.
I could have sped OVER 90...now that would have been really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really STUPID of me now wouldnt it.

Saftey first! Dont speed. Thats what i was taught by my parents, by the RTA, by the Police, by the govornment.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
pretentious grandstanding post removed
Get off your high horse, as if you have NEVER broken the law on the road before.
A lot of people can do longer trips in one go. Just because we are told what is good for us, doesnt mean it is actually good for us.
First and last chance, any more argumentative behavior and you wont have to worry about who is speeding past you anymore.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 19-05-2012 at 11:45 AM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #33
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope NSW keeps there multi coloured p plates to themselves, its bad enough with speedzones at every 10km spacing without more than one p plate. I remember getting my L's doing 100km/h on the open road, there were only 3 speed zones, 110, 80, and 60 life was easy you knew where the zones were. And seriously who takes any notice of a P plate in a car anyway unless its doing "skidz" (its not a skid dumbass its a burnout) I give L platers a wide berth and am wary of p platers but blue green p plates, who knows what they are doing in SA must be lost.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought the NSW Libs were onto easing some of the stupidities in the road laws, not creating more of them. The public servants must have got to them!

One little matter that's overlooked (and starts fair and square with the driving schools) is that drivers are not taught to have consideration for the road environment around them. It's not just learner drivers, but most Australian drivers are seemingly blind to kilometre-long tailbacks forming behind them when they drive below the speed limit.

Courtesy and common sense would dictate that if this happens you move over and let traffic clear behind you. But no, it isn't even taught at learner stage so it carries through to the behaviours of the general driving populace. So, in practical terms, the presence of learner drivers on the road at suppressed speed limits doesn't make much practical difference in Australia because the roads are full of licensed drivers who drive like this all their lives.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #35
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash again
I hope NSW keeps there multi coloured p plates to themselves, its bad enough with speedzones at every 10km spacing without more than one p plate. I remember getting my L's doing 100km/h on the open road, there were only 3 speed zones, 110, 80, and 60 life was easy you knew where the zones were. And seriously who takes any notice of a P plate in a car anyway unless its doing "skidz" (its not a skid dumbass its a burnout) I give L platers a wide berth and am wary of p platers but blue green p plates, who knows what they are doing in SA must be lost.

SA is easy L plates can do 100, p plates can do 100. i lost my licence from doing over 100 in a 110km/h zone which was just awesome with no proof apart from his awesome story of 'i followed you doing this speed' my comment was 'thats rather hard seenig you were tailgating me so i was on the brakes to get ya off my ***.' judge didnt care...

now i just do 90, i dont want to lose my licence again :(
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:37 AM   #36
_Ben
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol.

If you can't drive at 110 when you're 18 - 20, maybe you shouldn't be driving at all. These restrictions are stupid, speeding is not the root cause of accidents, bad drivers are. Yes, speed can be a factor (Particularly excessive speed), but speeding isn't what causes crashes.

It is A LOT less safe having someone do 20 - 30 km/h below the speed limit, it gets people wanting to pass people in places which aren't appropriate, creates road rage (Just what a 16 year old girl wants while shes driving) and doesn't create safer roads.

My 2 cents.
_Ben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #37
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The major stupidity in this is away from the cities.

Red P driver out alone doing 90 and being constantly pressured by heavy trucks, coaches and 4WDs all sitting right up their backs and lots of near misses while being overtaken as doing more than 100 in a 100 zone is instant death.

Yep no stress or fatigue there........
Is it to much to ask that drivers be a little patient and not sit up their clakka creating the issue you speak of,if the people sat back at an appropriate distance and then overtook there would be no issue

Your excuse is not that great flappy once you disect it.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
stalker
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddyDUZ747
Is it to much to ask that drivers be a little patient and not sit up their clakka creating the issue you speak of,if the people sat back at an appropriate distance and then overtook there would be no issue

apart from the fact no one gives appropriate space/ overtakes in the most idiotic spots ever!
XF ute 4.0ltr injected out of an ed with girl cam and 5speed, and an xd front end for good measure
stalker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:57 AM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I'm all for the speed restrictions and for L & P platers on freeways they need the experiance

What is wrong with the Learner and their instructor usuing common sense.

The learner feels they are only comfortable with doing 80. So they go out on the freeway during an off peak period and drive at 80.

2 weeks later same learner says they have been handling 80 well so now they want to go up to 90.

The learner and the instructor should use there own judgement and increase the speed as they feel fit.
Eventually after months of freeway driving they will be able to comfortable travel at 110 with everyone else.

When I first got my Learners. I only drove on the back streets near my house for a few days. Top speed of about 40. After about 2-3 days I was happy with how to handle the car, and I went out on the main roads with other traffic doing 80.

It's not hard to figure when you are ready for each step.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 11:59 AM   #40
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm not one to sit right on their rear bumper (if you make them too nervous who knows what they might do)
But to overtake someone in a car who is doing 90 when I'm limited to 100 can take 2kms............ IF they don't change their speed.

Happily there is an increasing number of caravans drivers who realise that they are holding up traffic, and like Truck Drivers, have a UHF in their car and will call you around, back off when you start to pass then flash their headlights when it's safe to come back over.
I've even had a few P Platers do this.

This makes life so much easier and safer.
Old 19-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #41
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Well grab a billboard mate and start speading the word... then you will see that it prob is too much too ask EVERYONE to change their habits, even just a little...

Is it to much to ask:
  • Smokers not to smoke in car with kids
  • To not do 115kph in a 110 zone
  • Not tail gate
  • Not use fog lights in sunny conditions
  • Not throw ciggy butts out the window
  • Make sure that all you lights work at night time
  • Learn how to merge from 2 lanes to 1 lane
  • Use a roundabout
These are all little things... but some people just cant comprehend, or are just happy in their own little world thinking what they do is fine because it doesnt affect them, regardless of people around them...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #42
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

How can a state try and "impose" anything nationally....

This law just reeks of stupidity, whats worse is that these people that implement and conjure up the laws are part of our society, they are hardly immune, do they not sit back and think about it logically instead of grandstanding for some cheap bogan votes?

Its just becoming embarrassing, the highway of all places should be the "safest" place to be right on the "limit". Our limits are very conservative too, if only they put this much thought into infrastructure and maintenance, we would be set.

Having these lower limits for kids not only belittles them but it reenforces the BS agenda of government and lobby groups that "speed" is bad.

I mean how stupid is it that these kids suddenly get off their plates and magically they can do the limit and not be harmed...AH
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 19-05-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Smile Re: NSW seeks to impose its L, P1-P2 speed-limits nationwide

I cant beleive for one second that it could inconvenience someone that many times that it warrants a out cry so to speak.....maybe its just the impatience of society showing with the increased demands on peoples day to day lives?

BTW,I suffer a fair bit from a chemical inballance from a young age(yes joke all you like lol)that creates anxiety at quite elevated levels so waiting or having things not go my way sometimes is of a challenge,how you deal with it makes you a better person
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #44
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I dunno, maybe there's merit in placing more restrictions on learners and provisional drivers
but there's also a vast pool of tools with open licenses driving on our roads too..
The day to day arrogance and down right bullying I see on our roads is simply staggering.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 01:22 PM   #45
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
How can a state try and "impose" anything nationally....
This 'state' is Australia's largest, financially and numerically.

The states and territories "get together" via the Australian Transport Council, (now its the 'Standing Council on Transport & Infastructure'), and develop Australian Road Rules via the NTC and maintenance group process.
Quote:
Australian Transport Council

In February 2011, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) agreed to a new Council System consisting of Standing Councils, Select Councils, and Legislative and Governance Fora. On 17 September 2011, COAG withdrew the remit of the Australian Transport Council and replaced it with the Standing Council on Transport and Infrastructure. The inaugural meeting of the Standing Council was held on Friday, 4 November 2011.
www.scoti.gov.au

SNIP

Quote:
Having these lower limits for kids not only belittles them but it reenforces the BS agenda of government and lobby groups that "speed" is bad.
That is the point, 'they' (the road safety academic commies) plan for 'speed' to be seen by the wider public as something 'socially unacceptable' in the same manner as drink driving, hooning etc.

Keating (ALP) kicked off road rule national harmonisation effort back in 1993, and that resulted in the ARR's we know and love today. (A new tranch of amendments will be adopoted by your jurisdiction soon - 2012, and includes warning triangle placement adjustment).

December 15, 2004 saw the development of the NATIONAL DRIVER TRAINING SCHEME (with academic work well underway before this event held at Parliament House Canberra. Btw a German expert was present, but duly ignored by our involved-in-the process academics) the federal roads minister Jim Lloyd and John Anderson (LIB/NAT), along with NSW and VIC began the process of this 'national driver training scheme', its emphasis is on the 'defensive driving components', with each state contributing funds, and systematically was to include driving lessons, and to reduce parental involvement so bad habits were not passed down. The system 'training' had to be implemental accross the nation, administrativelly.

We that see outcome to date in the graduated license L, P1 and P2 stages used in NSW, SA, VIC.

For the record, Anderson wanted thorough driving lessons; skid pan, emergency braking etc. Loyd wanted German like lane discipline taught, having personally experienced the autobahn, he respected truckes in Germany who never ventured into the middle lane.

The national system has a free driving lesson via Keys To Drive:-
http://www.keys2drive.com.au/

What is being sort is to further harmonise this sytem, but it seems NSW desires other jurisdictions adopt its 'license category' speed-limits. I'd like to remove them altogether. It falls on my home state to evidence their safety benefit, scientifically.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 19-05-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #46
XR_6falcon

I thought it was bad enough when victoria introduced the Red/Green P plate rules but this is just stupid. How do you magicly become expericed driving at speed when you get a full licence when you've never driven at 80, 90+ kph?

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 01:25 PM   #47
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_6falcon
I thought it was bad enough when victoria introduced the Red/Green P plate rules but this is just stupid.
See my post above as to 'why' VIC got this, ditto SA.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

In theory, theory and reality are similar unfortunately in reality, theory and reality have very little in common.

The problem is that there a growing number of people who either cannot comprehend the difference between theory and reality or believe they can change reality to conform with their theory.

Both are symptoms of the same delusional disorder........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #49
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
I'm all for the speed restrictions and for L & P platers on freeways they need the experiance
So how do you propose they get experience driving at freeway speeds when they aren't allowed to go freeway speeds on the freeway?

should Learners not be permitted on any road over 80?

Last edited by aussie muscle; 19-05-2012 at 05:50 PM.
aussie muscle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 05:59 PM   #50
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If this comes in then ill take off my P plates, its bad enough doing 100km/h on the 30km road to the next town, let alone doing 80 and annoying everyone so they do dangerous overtaking stunts.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #51
Hayden1

A problem that hasn't been mentioned is that if you're a learner and you're going for a long drive on a 80+ road, then most people will just swap drivers because it will be quicker, unless you are driving FOR the experience. I'm on my L's, and to be honest, the speed limit HARDLY effects me as 90% of my driving is city driving (hate it). But if I have to drive on a freeway, then I don't drive because its (arguably ) pointless. But when I get my P's, I know it will effect me heaps more because I will be doing a lot more country driving.
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #52
fangq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltezr
yeah you have to feel sorry for L and P platers sometimes.
my parents run a driving school and every day they cop abuse from other drivers when they are doing under the speed limit
I proposed to Qld Police Service that they run some Q cars with L plates to catch the road ragers etc that plague the learner drivers. Still waiting..
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #53
Hayden1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangq
I proposed to Qld Police Service that they run some Q cars with L plates to catch the road ragers etc that plague the learner drivers. Still waiting..
Steve
Yes, and to catch the people who ASSUME that all Learners are going to drive 1km/h so they rudely and arrogantly overtake at stupid times, or the ones who won't overtake but like to tailgate. I also hate the people who push in FRONT of a learner instead of behind, only to block the learner 100m down the road because they need to turn off the road, across traffic (happens daily at a specific spot but not specific people).

Yea I'm a learner, yea I can actually drive at the speed limit, and yea I'm sick of people like this because all it does is slow me down.

btw, this is not on 80kmh+ roads but in the city and sorry for the kinda off-topic post
Hayden1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #54
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love it how some people are saying to get over it and be pateint while behind a Learner driver. It has nothing to do with paitents. Teaching someone to do one thing, then letting them out alone to do something else is stupid.
There is big differance between driving at 80 and 100 on the same bit of road.

Also have you ever been at a merge location where one car is traveling a lot slower then everyone else. It doesn't work. Often the slower car comes to a complete stop at the end of the merge due to being unable to find a big enough gap to merge at 30kmh slower then everyone else.

The key to merging is picking a similar speed to the traffic you are merging with. How is that easy when some people are doing 110 while others are doing 80 or 90.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post