Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-05-2009, 02:41 PM   #31
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Ever thought about a BMW 135i?

They are about $90k once you pay all the taxes etc and option them up a bit brand new, or about $75-$80k for something 2nd hand or demo with less that 15,000kms.

It has the twin turbo inline 6, 3ltr, 225kw, (I am pretty sure it has cleaned up Engine of the Year awards) 6 speed manual if you want and weighs about 1400kg. Various youtube videos have shown it runs low to flat 13's over the 1/4 mile. Then there is the option of fiddling with the boost! (Goodbye 3yr warranty tho!) Allegedly it is pretty roomy in the rear also.

Top Gear oz brought my attention to this car, it is quite the 'bargain' from BMW right now.

BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #32
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Three kids...I repeat three kids.........

:lookedat:
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
BA GT-HO
Bring back Ambrose!

Buy the wife a Hyundai Getz. Problem solved!
BA GT-HO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #34
WASP
Whipple Induced

As Ian said, the Audi rs4 is the stand out, yet I wouldn't do it or not this way. The rs4 is an enthusiast performance machine best enjoyed in a solitude state, mainly on the weekends over a challenging piece of blacktop. Family car it is not, and that has nothing to do with how many doors it has. You can try and make it one if you like, but after a while you will be left pondering why you spent all that money to doing so.

My pick to be bitterly honest is unfortunately the manual Senator from that lot. You will love it assuming you manage to get a good one (their not all good, especially the auto variants). My only exception to this would be if your blood runs blue. If so, stage left to a GTP, GTE if the price is right knowing that in 12 months time you will want to unload it for one with a new ripper engine.

The best bang for buck is clearly the FG F6 and what a brilliant car it is. There is a very good chance however that you will become be bored of it within 3 months or less (yes I am a V8 man..lol).

Colville
Old 19-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #35
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
J.

2. Audi rs4.
Price $110,000 second hand with 20,000km.
Good - seriously fast, sounds horn, retain value better as most depreciation in done, 4 wheel drive is suited to tassie wet roads better than rear drivers, subtle, rare (only 2 in Tas), and the wife seriously wants one.
Bad - not much room in the back. We have 3 kids, and they are a bit squeezy - maybe i should leave them behind. Not much else is bad.
Sure about that GTP? I know of at least 2 just in the Hobart area, would have thought there would be a couple more in other parts of the state.

Hard to look past the RS4 IMO, AWD stability and the Sound!!

Wow, puts a V8 Super car to shame, that's how good it sounds!

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:11 PM   #36
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
Interesting thread, GTP owner. You ask a question on a dedicated Ford site about cars that most here wouldn't even dream about buying new, ask for sensible input then throw in a couple of folklore negatives on the Senator. Are you serious, or just peacocking that you may have the means to buy something a little upmarket? Seriously, if you are out to spend upwards of $110k, you are not in the league of asking forums for advice, you will buy on what you are comfortable with.
I am a ford man at heart, but have owned a few fast commodores over the years. Yes i am serious about what to buy next. I have considered the w427, M5, c63amg, and m3, but all have their faults that rule them out decisively. I love my fast fords, and if a gtho was out i would have one in an instant.

As for asking forums for advice - i like to take in all opinions. I am a professional who is now studying medicine at Uni of tasmania. You seem to have a prejudice against those who frequent here. I am no such snob.

Finally, the folklore about the senator - i was just asking the question. Many indicate that they feel old very quickly. Tex has had some experience with clubsport r8s, and although they are fast, they can feel very tired very quickly.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:16 PM   #37
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePistonHead
Sure about that GTP? I know of at least 2 just in the Hobart area, would have thought there would be a couple more in other parts of the state.

Hard to look past the RS4 IMO, AWD stability and the Sound!!

Wow, puts a V8 Super car to shame, that's how good it sounds!
sorry, i should have clarified that - 2 sold new through the audi dealer in south. 1 sedan, 1 wagon.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 19-05-2009, 06:23 PM   #38
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
As Ian said, the Audi rs4 is the stand out, yet I wouldn't do it or not this way. The rs4 is an enthusiast performance machine best enjoyed in a solitude state, mainly on the weekends over a challenging piece of blacktop. Family car it is not, and that has nothing to do with how many doors it has. You can try and make it one if you like, but after a while you will be left pondering why you spent all that money to doing so.

My pick to be bitterly honest is unfortunately the manual Senator from that lot. You will love it assuming you manage to get a good one (their not all good, especially the auto variants). My only exception to this would be if your blood runs blue. If so, stage left to a GTP, GTE if the price is right knowing that in 12 months time you will want to unload it for one with a new ripper engine.

The best bang for buck is clearly the FG F6 and what a brilliant car it is. There is a very good chance however that you will become be bored of it within 3 months or less (yes I am a V8 man..lol).

Colville
I am thinking the same. I have been in the back of a few of the small audis and it is not really the place for kids - too cramped and closed in. I can just feel the vomit on a windy road.

We decided against the gte last night - woodgrain is a nono, the seats were just not comfy, v8s should be manuals, and some angles looked wrong. eg the rear bumper looks like a subaru liberty with those vents.

So there is a gtp manual in the showroom i am going to get a quote on. Blue - I like blue, manual, and it has the v8.

As for the f6.....i know it is fast, but i would want it to be a v8.

Still leaning ultimately toward the senator however. The rear room is great, the kids love the tvs in the headrests, the sound system is a treat, it grunts very well, i can get it in manual, and it is not overstated.

So the field of vehicles is narrowing
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 19-05-2009, 06:51 PM   #39
zx10

Sounds like you know what to do.

I still think the GTP would fill your heart with joy and would look a treat parked next to the BA in the shed. They may even mate???????
zx10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 06:56 PM   #40
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
I am a ford man at heart, but have owned a few fast commodores over the years. Yes i am serious about what to buy next. I have considered the w427, M5, c63amg, and m3, but all have their faults that rule them out decisively. I love my fast fords, and if a gtho was out i would have one in an instant.

As for asking forums for advice - i like to take in all opinions. I am a professional who is now studying medicine at Uni of tasmania. You seem to have a prejudice against those who frequent here. I am no such snob.

Finally, the folklore about the senator - i was just asking the question. Many indicate that they feel old very quickly. Tex has had some experience with clubsport r8s, and although they are fast, they can feel very tired very quickly.
**Edited**

I am with you when it comes to the Senator, they are handsome, but date as quickly as the next commodore model hits the showrooms. They do have the V8 though. The Falcon is in a similar boat in that they are variations on the same base model theme. The Euro cars are nicely made, but I find them rather beige and fairly ordinary after a while, whereas the Holdens and Falcons satisfy my preference for a bit of rough power.

As far as the rattles, well I have an early model VE and it hasn't one rattle after 65000km, the console is what it is and while not an Audi command centre it's not ugly to my eye and yes its a Holden. You can draw your own conclusions whether I'm a snob... I own a Commodore and earn a pretty good income. PM me if you want an unbiased opinion on the VE warts and all.

Last edited by RG; 19-05-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 07:36 PM   #41
Scott

I'd be tossing up the GT-E and the F6 from that list. I'm a fan of the E Series HSV's in all aspects other than the evil badge but they do lack the quality feel of the Fords and I think their look is dating.

I'd love the RS4 which is one of the sexiest cars going at the moment but it is in stark contrast to the others in the list which better fulfill your needs rather than wants. The savings are significant too.

In my camp, I am waiting to see what the next V8 looks like in the FG's before I commit to buying another expensive car. On todays merit, I'd be buying an F6 to fill my needs but I just can't get over the hope that the next GT variant will be a real barnstormer.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #42
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:

Still leaning ultimately toward the senator however. The rear room is great, the kids love the tvs in the headrests, the sound system is a treat, it grunts very well, i can get it in manual, and it is not overstated.

So the field of vehicles is narrowing
Just keep in mind for the kids that you can get the Factory supported twin screen DVD's for the GTP aswell. they may actually be the same as the HSV as Futuris supply both manufactures.

This is what they look like on my FG XRTurbo

Old 19-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #43
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

11 Hyundai Getz's at $9990 drive away for a new 07 model

Have your own private fleet, one in a different color for every day, plus one each for your kids and one for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2009, 08:15 PM   #44
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
11 Hyundai Getz's at $9990 drive away for a new 07 model

Have your own private fleet, one in a different color for every day, plus one each for your kids and one for the wife
hahaha. Maybe lifetime taxi fares for the family and i could buy a ducati....then i really would be single and the purchase criteria would be different
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush