The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 26-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Baby escapes dad's high speed "Racing" crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Look at what make the cars are too, its interesting that it tends to be them more than us, even though you still see morons getting around flying the blue flag.
I agree with you 100%. The people that own these cars in the 17-25 year old bracket over represent this age demographic for idiot driving. Yes there are more of these cars on the road than Fords, but there are more Corrollas than these and you dont see them every second day crashing onto a house or something.
It comes down to a mentality thing and and a cult status to own one.
Old 26-11-2011, 07:03 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

it is obvious that many are missing the point gtxb67 is making (trying to make).
Old 26-11-2011, 07:16 PM   #33
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It seems like you didn't read the article.

The driver of the car that had his missus and child in the rear was already on a court imposed curfew (which he breached at the time of the incident)

He was said to be travelling at 110kph in a 70 zone.

Road workers had to take evasive action as the pair raced past.

The driver of the other car is not expected to survive his injuries.

...but we'll just mark it up as a media beatup, shall we?
who suggested media beat up - not i

it seems like you haven't read my posts

not many people on the road are innocent, yet people continue to blame everyone else for every problem. i, on the other hand am willing to except that although i always try and drive safely, an accident of any magnitude is potentially only a heartbeat away. i am sure that everyone who has been in an accident still thinks they are as perfect as you seem to think you are
Old 26-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #34
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The critically injured driver of one of these vehicles has now died in hospital.

Irrespective of what they were driving this fatal incident will serve as another unfortunete accident that should have/could have been avoided.
Old 26-11-2011, 07:46 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
not many people on the road are innocent, yet people continue to blame everyone else for every problem. i, on the other hand am willing to except that although i always try and drive safely, an accident of any magnitude is potentially only a heartbeat away. i am sure that everyone who has been in an accident still thinks they are as perfect as you seem to think you are
In your opinion, does driving safely constitute doing 40 over through roadworks at a time where you've been court mandated to not drive on the road with your partner and child in the back seat?

I've had several accidents. Three while I was stationary and one where I didn't pay due care and ran up the rear of someone when I was attempting to change lanes. That was 15 years ago. I've learned a thing or two since then.

There's a significant difference between doing a few over and what this clown has done. An accident is only a heartbeat away which is why I don't tempt fate and increase my risk by turning a public road into a dragstrip.

I don't think I'm perfect but there's a huge chasm between my driving habits and this idiot that has endangered his family and has contributed to the likely death of his mate.
Old 26-11-2011, 07:54 PM   #36
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
it is obvious that many are missing the point gtxb67 is making (trying to make).
they just don't get it
Old 26-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #37
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee
Yes there are more of these cars on the road than Fords, but there are more Corrollas than these and you dont see them every second day crashing onto a house or something.
It comes down to a mentality thing and and a cult status to own one.
That's actually pretty spot on. But many Corolla owners don't like cars the slightest and couldn't care less about what they drive.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #38
prydey
Rob

http://www.news.com.au/national/baby...-1226206978277

another article. this one mentions the word 'alleged' many times.

everyone is very quick to judge when things go pearshaped and profess to never conducting themselves in a similar manner when behind the wheel, but the fact is, the only FACTS we have are those given us by the media. many of those 'facts' are prefaced by the word 'alleged'.

not for a second am i condoning his actions. as mentioned, he deserves everything that comes his way, but there is a chance he wasn't 'drag racing' and there is a chance he didn't reach the 'alleged speed'. all the self righteous people who 'would never do 110 in a 70' or 'speed with passengers' etc etc need to realise things can go wrong very quickly and you don't have to be doing outrageous things to have it happen.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #39
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
[url]another article. this one mentions the word 'alleged' many times.

everyone is very quick to judge when things go pearshaped and profess to never conducting themselves in a similar manner when behind the wheel, but the fact is, the only FACTS we have are those given us by the media. many of those 'facts' are prefaced by the word 'alleged'.
Allegedly is used because, until he's formally charged...it is not proven.

But there are a lot of witnesses, like his girlfriend, the construction workers, police forensic reports.

Bail being denied is a big teller too, the judge must deem him a risk.

Doubt he'd be able to post the bail anyway.
Old 26-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

when i had my v8, i would have a neighbour wave his finger at me to slow down every time i went past, even though i would've been lucky to be nudging 40. if the cops asked them about me, i'm sure they would say i was speeding.

whilst witnesses think they are helping, their info isn't always accurate, esp when it comes to determining speed.

people need to remember this when driving. if you ever get pulled over for a misdemeanor and a witness comes forward and offers their version of events, guaranteed it will be different to your story, and the cop will believe the witness first.

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. what this guy did was stupid, irresponsible, etc etc but there are quite a few stones being hurled from people who are more than likely not innocent.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:05 PM   #41
Falcman0o7
Banned

ok................................
Old 26-11-2011, 11:29 PM   #42
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. what this guy did was stupid, irresponsible, etc etc but there are quite a few stones being hurled from people who are more than likely not innocent.

And anyone who goes racing on a public while a BABY is in the car deserves to have all the stones thrown.

If people are that stupid in our society why the hell would anyone make excuses for them?

Add up all the "bad" points...

street racing...

street racing through road works...

having a baby in the back seat...

Driving while suspended...

causing and accident due to low IQ....

HE made that choice, no one forced him to do it, yet he decides to make that choice while a BABY is in the car.... Who speaks up for the baby?

Its idiots like these two (one now deceased) who gives all the pollies out there and the do gooders enough ammunition to create more and more insanley idiotic laws.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 26-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #43
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Sad very sad ...
Old 26-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
And anyone who goes racing on a public while a BABY is in the car deserves to have all the stones thrown.

If people are that stupid in our society why the hell would anyone make excuses for them?

Add up all the "bad" points...

street racing...

street racing through road works...

having a baby in the back seat...

Driving while suspended...

causing and accident due to low IQ....

HE made that choice, no one forced him to do it, yet he decides to make that choice while a BABY is in the car.... Who speaks up for the baby?

Its idiots like these two (one now deceased) who gives all the pollies out there and the do gooders enough ammunition to create more and more insanley idiotic laws.
no one is defending the guy, but while there is an attitude of 'he's an idiot, i'm not like that/it won't happen to me' out there, these types of things will continue to happen. it may not be as headline grabbing, but it doesn't have to be to cause an accident or fatality.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #45
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

The speed really shouldn't be a major issue here: the thing is he drove beyond the means of himself and his car and could have killed many people. He could have done this all at 70.

Doing 110 in a 70 zone is not an instantaneous death sentence for someone. We do the nearly the same thing in slowing down from 110 to the 80 speedlimit when entering a town. For a few seconds, you are doing 100+ in a 80 zone.

Idiots can't be policed unfortunately. Common sense only comes from experience.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #46
Spudz27
Call me Spud

It is pretty sad really, to be racing with baby in the car. But how many of us have done the same thing? Not race, but when overtaking a road train for instance, personally I have often gotten to 150 when going past 2 trucks (on a long straight) with my kids in the car. Obviously I am only travelling at that speed for 30secs but it only takes one error in judgment. I am not condoning his actions, I hope he suffers, but I am pointing out that most of us at some point have sped with our kids in car.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #47
Serial_Fool
Whipper Snappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudz27
It is pretty sad really, to be racing with baby in the car. But how many of us have done the same thing? Not race, but when overtaking a road train for instance, personally I have often gotten to 150 when going past 2 trucks (on a long straight) with my kids in the car. Obviously I am only travelling at that speed for 30secs but it only takes one error in judgment. I am not condoning his actions, I hope he suffers, but I am pointing out that most of us at some point have sped with our kids in car.
Exactly, it is not the speed itself but when it is applied. Obviously this was the wrong time to be doing 110 for the gentleman in the story, but to say we're all angels when commenting on it is just silly.

We all speed. Cops speed, ambulance drivers speed, lawyers speed, even the ever so respectable members of parliament that enact these laws speed.
Old 27-11-2011, 12:56 AM   #48
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just downright stupid
Old 27-11-2011, 09:31 AM   #49
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serial_Fool
Exactly, it is not the speed itself but when it is applied. Obviously this was the wrong time to be doing 110 for the gentleman in the story, but to say we're all angels when commenting on it is just silly.

We all speed. Cops speed, ambulance drivers speed, lawyers speed, even the ever so respectable members of parliament that enact these laws speed.
So we have all driven while disqualified, through road works at high speed causing people to run, while street racing with a baby in the back???

Its not the speeding part people are whinging about.... and seemingly a lot of people are missing the point

Old 27-11-2011, 09:40 AM   #50
gtxb67

Quote:
So we have all driven while disqualified, through road works at high speed causing people to run, while street racing with a baby in the back???

Its not the speeding part people are whinging about.... and seemingly a lot of people are missing the point
it seems you and others are missing the point

was he wrong to take the car out while having a curfew - yes, and probably a few here would not do it
was he wrong to go through road works at high speed - yes, but many people have, especially as it was late at night
was he wrong to clip his mate while driving on a road - yes, and unfortuantely while it seems a silly thing to do, it can happen easily enough
was he wrong to be doing 110 in a 70 zone - yes, and many people here have either done it or lied about not doing it
was he wrong to be doing that speed with a child in the car - no, you can do that speed on the freeway with a child in the car and it seems perfectly safe
was he wrong to be aledgedly drag racing with a child in the car - yes, but what is the difference between drag racing with child in the car, or drag racing alone and passing a car with a child in that car (if you have read the news services, you will realise that alot of innocent parties in crashes do have children in the car)

so, to anyone that misses my, prydey's, and probably serial fools, spudz and wulos's point we are not sticking up for him. we just think that you guys also have the potential to misjudge and clip the car next to you. to do 40 kph over the limit at some time. to put innocent lives in danger - whether they are in your own car or someone elses. if you believe it cannot and will not happen to you, you are part of the problem
Old 27-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
so, to anyone that misses my, prydey's, and probably serial fools, spudz and wulos's point we are not sticking up for him. we just think that you guys also have the potential to misjudge and clip the car next to you. to do 40 kph over the limit at some time. to put innocent lives in danger - whether they are in your own car or someone elses. if you believe it cannot and will not happen to you, you are part of the problem
So because many of us *may* have done one or more of those things, we have no right to judge someone that did them *all* at once?

Old 27-11-2011, 10:18 AM   #52
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
So because many of us *may* have done one or more of those things, we have no right to judge someone that did them *all* at once?

if you wish to be a hypocryte that is fine - i have no problems with that

if you have done those things and still think you are perfect, then you are part of the problem on the roads. of course, i realise that you have "only" had four accidents, but you only need one to do the damage. if you cannot see that, then why bother posting - you will never understand, so why prolong the argument

it is weird - you have had 4 accidents and i have had none, and yet i am the one who is willing to learn from others misfortune and accept that i am not perfect
Old 27-11-2011, 10:22 AM   #53
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Let's tone it down thanks guys. It seems points have been made, all of which are valid but please accept you are unlikely to change the opinion of the other side.
Old 27-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #54
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it seems you and others are missing the point

Sorry nope, never had an accident in my life (plenty of near misses and a minor bingle with a truck who failed to give way to me), never done any street racing, never lost my licence, never driven a car while disqaulified, never street raced with a baby in the back, or street raced through a road works area......

Yes I must be a hypocrit.... hell who cares really???
"Everyone" must of done it at some point in their life right?

Because we are all the same?
We all street race with a baby in the back at some point in our lives...

Old 27-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #55
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
when i had my v8, i would have a neighbour wave his finger at me to slow down every time i went past, even though i would've been lucky to be nudging 40. if the cops asked them about me, i'm sure they would say i was speeding.

whilst witnesses think they are helping, their info isn't always accurate, esp when it comes to determining speed.

people need to remember this when driving. if you ever get pulled over for a misdemeanor and a witness comes forward and offers their version of events, guaranteed it will be different to your story, and the cop will believe the witness first.

What was that about people in glass houses......

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11340020
Old 27-11-2011, 11:00 AM   #56
gtxb67

Quote:
Sorry nope, never had an accident in my life (plenty of near misses and a minor bingle with a truck who failed to give way to me), never done any street racing, never lost my licence, never driven a car while disqaulified, never street raced with a baby in the back, or street raced through a road works area......

Yes I must be a hypocrit.... hell who cares really???
"Everyone" must of done it at some point in their life right?

Because we are all the same?
We all street race with a baby in the back at some point in our lives...
you have missed my point, so why bother replying - by the way, a minor bingle is an accident
Old 27-11-2011, 11:08 AM   #57
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
if you wish to be a hypocryte that is fine - i have no problems with that

if you have done those things and still think you are perfect, then you are part of the problem on the roads. of course, i realise that you have "only" had four accidents, but you only need one to do the damage. if you cannot see that, then why bother posting - you will never understand, so why prolong the argument

it is weird - you have had 4 accidents and i have had none, and yet i am the one who is willing to learn from others misfortune and accept that i am not perfect
When did I even imply that I was perfect? I already clearly stated that I wasn't perfect. There's not much I can learn from a disqualified driver, street racing through active roadworks, 40 above the speed limit with girlfriend and child strapped into the back seat that I don't already know. If the lesson was that things can go pear shaped at the blink of an eye, learned that lesson well before this guy strapped himself into a car.

I've had 1 at fault accident (which I learned from) and 3 while I was *stationary* at a set of lights. Last year I travelled 75,000kms, I've been driving for 24 years, I've had two under 15km speeding tickets (last one was 1992). I've never claimed to be perfect but in my opinion, the roads will be safer with this clown off them - surely, that point can't be up for debate too?
Old 27-11-2011, 11:09 AM   #58
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Keep it on topic and civil.

The next "typical commodore driver" comment will attract a holiday.
Bugger! But it says something for the structure of the car that anyone in that car survived - looks pretty bad. The result in a car of older vintage may not have been the same. That family can consider themselves lucky - a mix of bad luck for the crash to happen, and good luck that no-one in the car was killed.

Also, if there were roadworks, wouldn't they be 40km/h zone, meaning these cars were doing 110 in a 40 zone?

RIP to Mr Russell - appears he died in hospital.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT

Last edited by JC; 27-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #59
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
That family can consider themselves lucky - a mix of bad luck for the crash to happen, and good luck that no-one was killed.
The family of the other driver, not so lucky.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12 AM   #60
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Bugger! But it says something for the structure of the car that anyone in that car survived - looks pretty bad. The result in a car of older vintage may not have been the same. That family can consider themselves lucky - a mix of bad luck for the crash to happen, and good luck that no-one was killed.
Obviously you didn't hear that the man died in hospital.
Closed Thread