Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #31
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Newsflash: You don't even know what cheque book journalism is.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #32
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden are experts at announcing projects straight out of their ars#s. I remember when the LS1 was introduced in the VT. Cylinder de-activation was announced by Holden back then, 11 years later and they MIGHT get it next year. They have also announced the probability of manufacturing a small car, if thats true then we are talking five years before they even have working tools and the ability to manufacture that car. They also need to make that car cheaper than the factory that barina and viva are coming from now. Make of it what you will. Paul Gover props up Holden because he is a fan of their products and wants to see them survive for a long while yet. Not unlike us and our passion for Fords. The main difference is that he is a paid journalist who is supposed to be unbiased and report the facts.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 11:31 AM   #33
Buzz Box
Wheel Wally

Wells lets look at the facts as it stands at the moment without will or won't they in the future etc etc

Holden (Commodore Platform):
Export SS's
Export Commodore's
Export Statemans
Export HSV
Export The Platform & Framework
USA Cars build on the platform

Ford (Falcon Platform)
No Exporting of Cars whole
No Exporting of Car platform
The ONLY thing its done is Territory

Which do you think would last in the future?? Someone whos selling the car, the parts and engineering or someone whos 100% reliant on 1 market which is in huge decline?

I know its brief and not ALL the facts but you get the point!
Buzz Box is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #34
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Box
Wells lets look at the facts as it stands at the moment without will or won't they in the future etc etc

Holden (Commodore Platform):
Export SS's - Canned
Export Commodore's - AliveExport Statemans
Export HSV - They sell a wopping 49 a year
Export The Platform & Framework Canned
USA Cars build on the platform Canned

Ford (Falcon Platform)
No Exporting of Cars whole
No Exporting of Car platform
The ONLY thing its done is Territory

Which do you think would last in the future?? Someone whos selling the car, the parts and engineering or someone whos 100% reliant on 1 market which is in huge decline?

I know its brief and not ALL the facts but you get the point!
Who do I think will last in the future. The car company with a solvent Finance arm and an actual plan for the future. Press releases will serve you so long
Old 15-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Buzz Box & DanXR8 Holden aren't in a good position (neither is FOA) the VE didn't sell well (on their budgeting) from day one. Also if it wasn't for the wagon currently the sedan would look more in trouble. I see more high end FG's then Commodores. Most Commodores I see are low end Omega (why?...for a long time Commodore has been a cheaper fleet car then the Falcon).
Old 15-11-2008, 06:34 PM   #36
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why does everyone place so much reliance on export for survival? Exporting has cost Holden allot of money.. Ford are better off than Holden and they sell less cars..
Making a profit and having a sound business plan is more important than just gross sales numbers... The 2 don't necessarily go together..

Old 15-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Why does everyone place so much reliance on export for survival? Exporting has cost Holden allot of money.. Ford are better off than Holden and they sell less cars..
Making a profit and having a sound business plan is more important than just gross sales numbers... The 2 don't necessarily go together..

Your correct, export has many variables as costs play a big part. Being able to spread R&D costs is a smarter way to increase profits. So exports would be good as you would have more units, but then again a GRWD platform would also be a good way to do it.
Old 17-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #38
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Newsflash: You don't even know what cheque book journalism is.
Actually I do, and your correct. I should have entitled the thread "Motoring journalist displaying specifically biased tendancies towards one manufacturer in a mature competitive open economic market for reasons that on the surface at least would seem unjustified and at worst motivated by unethical actions which is not to be confused with the soliciting or purchase of information to manufacture a story that otherwise may or may not have been news worthy in the eye of an independant observer"

However the title box was a little small so..........
Old 17-11-2008, 05:49 PM   #39
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I notice this stuff through the papers and magazines its obvious that somethings going on behind closed doors. Opened the saturday papers Carsguide liftout and started to go through it. Not one mention about GM's touble in america (If that was the case with Ford US there would be a 2 page article predicting Falcon will be dead in the next 10 minutes...). They allready covered Commodore last week so I figured there wouldn't be anything related but ofcourse they had to have something coming out of the Holden dealers. A big article going on about the perfection of the Holden Epica and how great the thing is. Ofcourse the media are blood hungry vultures and since falcon is the one to pick on they will continue to do so until it ends and since Holden is "Australia's favourite car" they will continue to praise whatever comes out of the GMH dealers even if it was a piece of actual
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2008, 06:04 PM   #40
Lynch'd

It’s good to see that Paul Gover (or someone at carsguide) haven't censored the comments section too much. He's copping a barrage of deserved criticism about the article.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:11 AM   #41
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

WOW, what an arrogant fool Mr Gover is.

A copy of what he sent in an email to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Gover
Russell,
Your email about the Falcon was forwarded to me.
1. The Herald Sun does not have a Holden bias. We cover all brands exactly the same way.
2. The Falcon is the best Australian car today.
3. The Falcon is NOT more advanced than the Commodore. It has 5-star safety but is not equal in the engine area or a lot of other technolgy
4. There is NO global rear-wheel drive platform. That program was killed more than 6 months ago.
5. There is NO plan for a local Falcon or Territory beyond 2012.
6. The V6 plan for the Falcon is now shaky without enough funding for the program.
7. Ford is looking at a front-drive large car for Australia.
How do I know all this? Because, even if you don't see it, I actually do the research.
Pg
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2008, 10:22 AM   #42
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Well I couldn't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry little man
Hi Paul,

From the formatting of your email I sense a little tension and arrogance, quite rude really. But alas I shall answer you back.

1. The Herald Sun does not have a Holden bias. We cover all brands exactly the same way.
Not really sure about this, maybe try reading your articles from the perspective of someone on the outside. I have seen less bias toward Holden on a Commodore internet forum.

Maybe not, but it is by far the best Australian car in it’s segment.

3. The Falcon is NOT more advanced than the Commodore. It has 5-star safety but is not equal in the engine area or a lot of other technolgy
So you are trying to tell me that a car that is slower, less safe, has worse handling, worse aerodynamics, uses more fuel, has a transmission that belongs in the dark ages and has less standard options is the better more advanced car? And you are wondering why your journalism is being questioned??

4. There is NO global rear-wheel drive platform. That program was killed more than 6 months ago.
Unless you work deep inside Ford I am quite sure that you can NOT give such a definitive answer.

Again, considering Ford don’t know which way they are going I can’t see how you know.

6. The V6 plan for the Falcon is now shaky without enough funding for the program.
One can only hope, the current I6 is a much better unit than any V6 could ever be.

Looking at is a long way from doing. We all remember the Taurus experiment that failed and I’m sure Ford do too.

How do I know all this? Because, even if you don't see it, I actually do the research.
As you can see, it would appear your “research” is a little shaky.

Regards,

Russell Green
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #43
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Last week ex-Holden engineer Graham Smith reviewed the VY commodore in the used car section, and basically said nothing really goes wrong with them, then they review the BF this week and say's they are unreliable and have many known faults. Carsguide is run by a bunch of Holden loving morons.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 07:36 PM   #44
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry little man
Hi Paul,

From the formatting of your email I sense a little tension and arrogance, quite rude really. But alas I shall answer you back.

Not really sure about this, maybe try reading your articles from the perspective of someone on the outside. I have seen less bias toward Holden on a Commodore internet forum.

Maybe not, but it is by far the best Australian car in it’s segment.

So you are trying to tell me that a car that is slower, less safe, has worse handling, worse aerodynamics, uses more fuel, has a transmission that belongs in the dark ages and has less standard options is the better more advanced car? And you are wondering why your journalism is being questioned??

Unless you work deep inside Ford I am quite sure that you can NOT give such a definitive answer.

Again, considering Ford don’t know which way they are going I can’t see how you know.

One can only hope, the current I6 is a much better unit than any V6 could ever be.

Looking at is a long way from doing. We all remember the Taurus experiment that failed and I’m sure Ford do too.

As you can see, it would appear your “research” is a little shaky.

Regards,

Russell Green

Well done Russell. Stick it up him. The factual argument will at least get him to question himself. Whether or not he changes is another, but at least if we keep this up he will be less inclined to write such drivel.

PS Great response by the way!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 08:56 PM   #45
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

If GM fails these noobs will have nothing to write about as according to them there is only one manufacturer that gets it right Pity they can't run a business as well as their cars go........'oh hang on they can their business is just about broke like most of the shyte they sell. Keep up the good fight RUSS.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post