Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2005, 01:53 AM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

Another option I forgot to mention is the 5.0 V8 from the W126 500SEC/SEL... the smaller version of the 560's 5.6 engine... still great motor.

I'd personally keep it running Mercedes gear. I personally hate swaps with different make engine to diff cars etc... that's just me.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 02:34 AM   #32
BuuBox

I can imagine that the Mercedes "flashship" engine's you've suggested would be both expensive and rare. I wouldn't want to see the repair bill on any of 'em either. At least with the Falcon Six or the 1JZ you can go down to a local (Jap or Ford) wrecker and get cheap, new or second hand parts for 'em. Bought a mere gasket kit for anything remotely "exotic" lately, Steffo? A water pump? Don't think that those "purists" would agree that the Pintara and it's mighty CA20 counts.

You shouldn't have too many registration issues changing the engine to a newer, similar capacity straight six. A 5.6 litre V8 with probably four times the original power output might raise a few eye brows though. Don't know if money's an issue for 'ToasterOn22s'!

Edit: A few year back, Zoom put a IJZ into a Datsun 240Z, probably half to **** off nissan folk ("purists"?), and the the other half because it's a cheaper and arguably better option than a comparable nissan engine. They also did many articles on power ups in a Soarer, and were getting some very healty power figures from stock(ish) examples with just a better exhaust and a few other similar mods.

Last edited by BuuBox; 05-10-2005 at 02:40 AM.
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 12:07 PM   #33
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buubox, im pretty sure in Japan theres a high powered Supra getting around with an RB26 too
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 01:27 PM   #34
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
I can imagine that the Mercedes "flashship" engine's you've suggested would be both expensive and rare. I wouldn't want to see the repair bill on any of 'em either. At least with the Falcon Six or the 1JZ you can go down to a local (Jap or Ford) wrecker and get cheap, new or second hand parts for 'em. Bought a mere gasket kit for anything remotely "exotic" lately, Steffo? A water pump? Don't think that those "purists" would agree that the Pintara and it's mighty CA20 counts.
Just a quick Google, without looking for much Australian stuff (found this site in about 30 sec) got me this...

http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=298

Scroll down a bit and you'll find...

Engines - Rebuilt - 560SEL,SEC: 1986-91
Part Number: 117.968
Rebuilt: $4995.00 - Online: $4495.50
Core Deposit: $800
Item Description: 1986-91

Yes, $4995 US ($6,569.17 AU) is ultra exocitcally expensive and unattainable...

And that's just a quick, half-arsed search. If I tried harder, I could find them from an Australian place, and cheaper.

I still vote a Mercedes engine of some sort.

:
Old 05-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

350 Chev - the stick 'em in jags, why not mercs. It's not Ford, but it is very tough!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 02:03 PM   #36
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
350 Chev - the stick 'em in jags, why not mercs. It's not Ford, but it is very tough!
Never thought of the good ol 350 Chev. Then add twin turbos and it would be insane!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:12 PM   #37
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Just a quick Google, without looking for much Australian stuff (found this site in about 30 sec) got me this...

http://www.adsitco.com/category.asp?CID=298

Scroll down a bit and you'll find...

Engines - Rebuilt - 560SEL,SEC: 1986-91
Part Number: 117.968
Rebuilt: $4995.00 - Online: $4495.50
Core Deposit: $800
Item Description: 1986-91

Yes, $4995 US ($6,569.17 AU) is ultra exocitcally expensive and unattainable...

And that's just a quick, half-arsed search. If I tried harder, I could find them from an Australian place, and cheaper.

I still vote a Mercedes engine of some sort.
I agree about keeping it in the brand, but if you go the V8, then theres the g/box, diff, cooling, fuel delivery etc, etc.
I've got a 560, and they aren't cheap. Timing chain replacement will cost $800-$1000 just in parts (retail). Chances are if you buy second hand there will be no record if the jobs been done and you'll have to see to it. Gearbox rebuild will be around $4500 inc. labour, mines coming up to that, because of all the torque, they chew through the drivetrain quicker than the 500/420s. Might as well get that rebuilt done while its out too.

Toaster do you have any pics of it?
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:17 PM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

There's also a range of Mercedes six-cylinder engines that aren't a bad idea either. They're probably an easier intall then a V8 too....

:
Old 05-10-2005, 04:26 PM   #39
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Hey guys thanks for all the opinions and info it helps heaps.

Whole reason i'm not putting in another merc engine and box is the money.

I was thinking since I don't really car about keeping it in the same family and just want my car going a bit harder and being more reliable, swapping for a ford, nissan, toyota, etc would make it easier for me to look after, cheaper, and even though the conversion might be more expensive/harder in the long term (I plan on keeping this car for a long long time) then it works out better for servicing, maintaining, fixing broken bits, and modifying/improving.

I guess the main thing is to find someone who'll do the conversion, and then start getting some quotes on all these different engines!

BuuBox: Money definitely IS an object.. one I hate giving up.. but in this case I am willing to part with whatever is necessary :P I was hoping to get away with the conversion for under $10k though drive in drive out, including engine.. and including modifying the engine a bit.. so we'll see what happens.

Smoo: Only pictures i've got are from previous owner atm.. unwashed, and a bit worn out. Since then i've gotten new badging, gotten it buffed, and am about to get the 1 missing hubcap that I need.. then i'll take some new pics
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:27 PM   #40
BuuBox

Quote:
Buubox, im pretty sure in Japan theres a high powered Supra getting around with an RB26 too
I'm sure there is, and that wasn't the point I was trying to make. The RB26 is (arguably) a far superior engine to the IJZ, however you'll pay maybe $5k for one, rather than $1.5k. A comparable Nissan engine would be the RB25, which is (again arguably) weaker than the IJZ.

$6,569.17 AU for the engine alone is far from cheap. Probably cheaper than I thought it'd be, but still not cheap, considering you'd still have to adapt a transmission, and all the things that smoo described. You also might find they're more expensive here, as it'd be a rarer car. How much is the actual car being converted worth? Spending more than that on a second hand engine is getting a little scary.

A 350 Chev would be nice, but I'd rather a clevland or a winsor...
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #41
XDSLIDER
BIG LUKE

You can buy off shelf engine mounts to fit a Ford 6 or 8 , or V8 Holden and Chev.

Having said that, My first car was a 1975 280 compact Benz.Thats a 2.6L DOHC 6 cyclinder, for those of you who dont know. This motor was designed and built to produce the same HP as a 3.5L V8 but at the same time be more fuel efficent.
I fitted a 465 Holley 4 barrell and a 2' exhaust system and accelerating from 100kph a new VT commodore(was new at the time) could not keep up. It also ripped mad burnouts. But in the end, the cost off repairs to the motor was way to much, and general maintenance.

If you can find a Gen3 or even a Injected Windor, they would be the go. As there are people out there who have already done it and have the adapter parts you will need.

Jap motor is a good idea but, you will have to fabricate alot of the adaptor parts, which costs $$$$$$$$$

LUKE

XR6BBQ.......... Just when you thought I had given up!!!
XDSLIDER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2005, 05:23 PM   #42
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

XDSLIDER: I heard rumours about these conversion kits being available.. do you konw anyone I could call or anywhere I could look?

That's what motivated me to consider a change in the first place but I can't find any REAL info about it..

If I can find a conversion kit, that'll answer the engine question for me
Old 05-10-2005, 11:33 PM   #43
turboute
turboute

Standard BA 6 cyl angines are going for about 1.5k from the wreckers these days. they would be a fairly sensible option - 182kW of power is still heaps.

The 1JZ would be my next recommendation. You will need a new EMS and there is an electronic controller for the gearbox that will convert it to a manual box ($200 if i remember). These engines are about the best bang for buck you can get. The internals should hold about 400-450hp without any mods. If you dont mod it that means you will have an engine that will not die for a long time.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2005, 12:36 AM   #44
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Hrm.. BA engine would look bloody awesome under the bonnet

Like I said performance isn't the goal so that could actually be a serious option.

Suits my needs: Different, Practical, Cheap.

What about the actual conversion though? I know SFA about BA engines.. nothing special about them?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:09 PM   #45
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Ok now I need anyones advice on who in western sydney (as close to blue mountains as possible) could put a BA engine into a 67 merc

I've fallen in love with that idea.

I'll at least get some quotes and professional opinions on how hard the conversion will be etc.. if it all works and is possible, i'll most probably do it.

Also where can I get the engine from?

Cheers for all the help guys
Old 07-10-2005, 01:05 PM   #46
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, this was the only Aussie site I came across, out of interest. There must be some info out there on the Falon I6 swap though.

http://www.big-toys.net/detail.cgi129.htm

You might want to contact them.

edit: and mbspares.com.au have really good priced parts. Probably give advice too, dunno if you go non MB tho :

Last edited by smoo; 07-10-2005 at 01:20 PM.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:24 PM   #47
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Yeh getting a few parts from mbspares.. lots of people have recommended them.

I'm pretty much decided on the BA I6 if I can find the engine and someone to do it.. as long as there's no complications involved in the swap etc.

That link you gave me definitely puts me off keeping it in the family.. $25,000 for a 380SEL engine conversion? Ouch. They got some cool stuff on there though.

Now my mission is to find someone to do the conversion, then hopefully start it all after christmas!