Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-10-2005, 11:59 PM   #31
mattbl

Been a bit quiet the last few days working etc....
I'm booked in for a wheel alignment on Wednesday and hopefully that will do it for a RWC. my guy is going to give it a check over to see if I've missed anything. Still think I may get pinged for the exhaust, if so I'm still going to put a 2.5in cat back system on it.
Fitted some new wiper blades today and cleaned the engine bay and underneath ready for the inspection.

Got a mate at work who has a familiy member that works at one of the auction houses in Melbourne (sorry can't say which one). He managed to score me 2 smartlock remotes. Yippee :
mattbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #32
BuuBox

Do you mind if I ask how much you payed for the car?

Nice to see it coming up nicely after some TLC!
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #33
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
Do you mind if I ask how much you payed for the car?

Nice to see it coming up nicely after some TLC!
10k. I think if I sold it that's about what I'll get for it maybe a bit more. Won't make any money on it but with only 120k klms it will do me for 5 years. That's how long I hope to have it.
Funnily enough it's insured for 14,400 fully comp.

Cheers

Matt
Old 07-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #34
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2TL50
if any one can give me a good easy way to empty all the diff oil out of my tl please feel fre.. i am scared as i have no idea.. but it needs done!!!

P.s you car lookx hot always loved the fairmont.. glad you are giving her some good TLC...

Changed mine last weekend. The easiest way to fill it was to put the passenger side on a jackstand level with drivers side of course and fill it with a bit of hose and funnel through the springs.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 09:51 PM   #35
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Changed mine last weekend. The easiest way to fill it was to put the passenger side on a jackstand level with drivers side of course and fill it with a bit of hose and funnel through the springs.
Yep good idea. A mate of mine was telling about a small pump you can get as well. He reckons you have to pump it 400,000,000 times though to get it in. Any way to put diff oil in seems to be slow.

Good job AU-MUSTD :voldar02:
Old 07-10-2005, 09:55 PM   #36
oldracer

The plastic bottle with the pump action is the go, works for 9" diffs which are the pits to get into, but yeah, plenty of action on the lever
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2005, 11:04 PM   #37
Steve_T

methinks suction gun is the only way to fill a diff... about five pumps and it's done... like this one: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....ia&dir=catalog

Anyway, car is looking good mattbl - like others have said - good to see you putting in some TLC and getting it back into nice shape - they're a great car.

Steve.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 12:31 PM   #38
mattbl

Well its nearly on the road. I took it to my mechanic yesterday. I try do do most things myself but sometimes you just have to pay up for experience and tools to do some jobs.
He did a wheel alignment and it now drives straight. He said the camber was out and he packed some shims in.
While it was there I got him to flush through the brake fluid and adjust the handbrake. All up it was just under $110 which is pretty good value for these days I reckon. A small workshop that has been in the same hands for over 30 years. They do the cars for the local cop shop so that must mean something!

Anyway I'm booked in for a RWC on Wednesday. I think it should pass with no worries given I've been right through the car. If they get real picky I might get stung for a windscreen and the exhaust which has a small hole in it but can be fixed and not replaced

Here's a pic

Cheers
Old 13-10-2005, 06:34 PM   #39
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

Wow, that looks very clean now. From the look of that picture, you would have no idea it was not cared for for so long...

Good work

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2005, 09:33 PM   #40
buickman
buickman

Thats a good car clean car for $10 grand. I seen Au ghias with higher milage and in rough condition for more than that.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2005, 02:38 PM   #41
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

looks great mattbl, well done
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-10-2005, 10:13 PM   #42
mattbl

Got my roadworthy certificate today :1syellow1
Only got pinged for 4 indiactor globes as the orange paint had worn off and they were flashing clear.

The guy was pretty cool, when he had it up on the hoist he asked me if I wanted to have a look. The only thing I could see was its will need an exhaust shortly. He said it was pretty good and clean car.

So I will book it in at Vicroads for next week and I'll finally be on the road.

Now I can start doing some things I want to do instead of need to do _2:
Old 06-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #43
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Just spoke to Matt (and his daugher.. cool sunny's) and saw the car first hand. I can honestly say that apart from a few creases in the doors (that are not that visable) the car is probably in better condition now that 90% of all other AU's on the road. Matt, you have done a fantastic job on it, looks neat, clean and well maintained now. Even the engine bay is spotless.

Now, as for that 4x4 ride height... I'm sure that will be sorted soon enough :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #44
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lookin good mate!! good to see a keen DIY maintanence person in the house

my friends girlfriends parents own a silver service fairlane taxi and it has just done 600,000km and they only replaced the gearbox 3 months ago.. they were selling it for $10gz
they do a minor service every fortnight and a major every month
i believe taxis are more well maintained then people think. seeing as it has to be a SAFE car otherwise its a breach of laws... and it has to last for 600,000 odd kays.. so why would they skimp on it??

an ex taxi is probably 1 of the better 2nd hand cars you can buy with high kays as they are maintained weekly.. at the correct km intervals..
blackers10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2005, 07:30 PM   #45
HLC
Audi S3

lookin awesome Mattbl!

i myself picked up dodgy second hand example of an AU2 fairmont for 8 grand with only 90 000 kays on it...

then i spent 3 grand getting dents pulled and detail and tranny service and a whole heap of other stuff and some new rubber.... and its come up fantastic!

have fun with your car!!!
Old 06-11-2005, 10:42 PM   #46
mattbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Now, as for that 4x4 ride height... I'm sure that will be sorted soon enough :
Cheers
Well I've started on replacing the springs but didn't get very far. I need a 22mm tube socket to release the lower bolt from the strut. Will get one first thing in the morning.
It's up on stands with the front wheels off and the upper nylock nuts removed ready to go so il'll be straight into it tomorrow morning.

Cars are a bit different than motorbikes. With a bike, apart from removing the wheels you can just about spanner the entire bike with an 8,10 & 12mm socket :voldar02:
Old 07-11-2005, 01:13 AM   #47
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbl
Cheers
Well I've started on replacing the springs but didn't get very far. I need a 22mm tube socket to release the lower bolt from the strut. Will get one first thing in the morning.
It's up on stands with the front wheels off and the upper nylock nuts removed ready to go so il'll be straight into it tomorrow morning.

Cars are a bit different than motorbikes. With a bike, apart from removing the wheels you can just about spanner the entire bike with an 8,10 & 12mm socket :voldar02:
It gets worse than just a 22mm socket - for some bolts (especially on V8s), you need imperial sockets as well, though most metric ones will go close!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post