Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:23 PM   #31
perthxr6t
PERTHXR6T

I miss my shooting :( I used to work with a roo shooter years ago and have used
Rifles
Air Rifle - Don't be fooled gents ask the bloody cat that kept on walking over my XB GS ute bonnet
.22 - A menace to beer can and stubbies and the odd crow in the tree making to much noise at 5am
.22 Hornet - Very balanced rifle and cats hiding in old car shells down at the local town dump don't stand a chance
.44 -Lever action oh yeah
.222 - One for the Emu's
.223 - All round good guy this fellow
.243 Wild donkeys go well in the camp oven
.303 -Nailed 3 goats with 1 bullet
30/30 -my favorite as it loves goats and feral cats :
22/250 -roos don't like this gun at all :evil3:
30/06 - Makes mince meat out of rabbits :
25/06 - Blows camels away over 300 yards :

Hand guns
.22 - One for the ladies
.44 - Make my day ....Punk
.45 - It wasn't meeeeeeeeeee the Warriors did it!!

Explosives ( For the rock apes with us )
Stope Primers make a wonderful depth charge in water
50 sticks of power gel blows the crappers out of rabbit warrens

Does this make me a sicko : Or did i just have a wonderful time in my youth?

Panther Black XR5T Mondeo
Sunroof
BlueTooth
Mods So Far

Air Box Mod
Lowered Eibach Springs 25mm
Alloy foot Pedals
Waiting for the Edit to come
Custom Cat Back Zorst
Old 02-11-2007, 03:16 PM   #32
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

No Prob's Sgt , Might get a Bayonet one day just to finish the set.

Thanks Steve , I should read my research a little closer , shouldn't I . !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Well apart from the weak rear locking action, rimmed cartridge, extremely short site radius and varying twist in the rifling.
flappist,
I bought this rifle when I moved back up the country , and it was a matter of Economics . 22 for a $100 or so , or this one on special for $100 incl. 100 rounds of ammo. Also , when my Dad was alive , he showed me how to strip it , assemble it , quicker than I could load the Mag . He used them from 1942-45
I had 60 acres with a few sheep & lambs "And Foxes" , and the .22 just wouldn't make the distance . It might not be the "best around" but I'm damn sure I wouldn't want to stand at the "Pointy End" and "It does the job".

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 02-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #33
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:
Well apart from the weak rear locking action, rimmed cartridge, extremely short site radius and varying twist in the rifling.
I will agree the Mauser action is stronger etc, evrything you say realy, makes a far better sporting rifle. For a battle rifle I will still pick the SMLE despite its short comings.

I have owned them (SMLEs) but my favorite bolt action rifle that I owned was a BRUNO ZKK600 chamberd for 30.06 with a two stage trigger.

Steve
Old 02-11-2007, 03:44 PM   #34
webby_191189
low wagooon

Quote:
Originally Posted by perthxr6t
I miss my shooting :( I used to work with a roo shooter years ago and have used
Rifles
Air Rifle - Don't be fooled gents ask the bloody cat that kept on walking over my XB GS ute bonnet
.22 - A menace to beer can and stubbies and the odd crow in the tree making to much noise at 5am
.22 Hornet - Very balanced rifle and cats hiding in old car shells down at the local town dump don't stand a chance
.44 -Lever action oh yeah
.222 - One for the Emu's
.223 - All round good guy this fellow
.243 Wild donkeys go well in the camp oven
.303 -Nailed 3 goats with 1 bullet
30/30 -my favorite as it loves goats and feral cats :
22/250 -roos don't like this gun at all :evil3:
30/06 - Makes mince meat out of rabbits :
25/06 - Blows camels away over 300 yards :

Hand guns
.22 - One for the ladies
.44 - Make my day ....Punk
.45 - It wasn't meeeeeeeeeee the Warriors did it!!

Explosives ( For the rock apes with us )
Stope Primers make a wonderful depth charge in water
50 sticks of power gel blows the crappers out of rabbit warrens

Does this make me a sicko : Or did i just have a wonderful time in my youth?

You have just had a hell of a lot of fun in your youth. Im about to go renew my licnece as im about to turn 18. Its a great sport. Nothing beats going campin with ya mates and going spot lighting.

Old 02-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #35
Duke
The Duke

I used to shoot near Mudgee around 25 years ago as a teenager but gave it up when all the new laws came in, it just seemed all to hard to bother with.

I just read the NSW requirements for obtaining a license and having to go to clubs and shoot at least 4 times a year or whatever sounds bothersome too, however, I do love to shoot targets (as in just shooting targets in the bush, not at a club) so maybe I'll check it out further, can't hurt I guess.

Anyone recently got their license? Was it a pain in the butt?
Old 02-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #36
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im about to go for mine. Have the form, just have to go to our local club to do the 'training' then send the paperwork back.

Cant wait
Old 02-11-2007, 05:42 PM   #37
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I just renewed my license, i rarely shoot much these days, i imagine it would be hard to get if i let it lapse.

I like the old style firearms as well, i have an 308 caliber WW2 Israeli Mauser, i just need the bayonet for it.
I lost my better guns due to the law change amnesty, but i still have a nice little Anschutz .22 bolt action, it's no bigger than an air rifle and very accurate.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #38
weenie

Its not hard to get your license these days. If you dont have a property owner that can fill your genuine reason, then join the ssaa. for the 70 odd $ membership you get the magazine every month.This can then be used as your genuine reason, either hunting or target shooting or both. Obviously you have to do an awareness test. Even get your game council license, then you can shoot with permission on properties closer to town that have feral problems. Only pita is the 28 day cooling off period for fire arm purchases. I can understand for the first one , but not for subsequent purchases. As much as the media want the average person to believe, no you can not just get a permit, no you can not walk into a gunshop & walk straight out with a fire arm or ammo. Hell you cant even purchase air rifle pellets with out a license.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 PM   #39
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a bit of Shooting 2-3 times year when I get a chance.

Had a few shot's of a mates oldmans new 375H&H Magnum a few months ago, Man does that make some noise LOL and demolish anything it hits
Old 02-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #40
Duke
The Duke

Forgive my ignorance Weenie, what's ssaa?

You make it sound like it's worthwhile trying to get my license back, I need a new hobby, I'm sooo crap at golf... maybe I could combine them... shooting golf balls target practice with a lovely walk.... bwahahahahaha
Old 02-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #41
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTrader
Forgive my ignorance Weenie, what's ssaa?
Sporting shooters association.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:09 PM   #42
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I lived in NQ I used to do a little shooting here and there. I've never owned a firearm myself, but I always used my mates Walther .22 and had heaps of fun with that. Apart from that one, I've only fired an air rifle and a medieval replica Crossbow (but in that regard I've done a fair bit of medieval archery, mostly with yew/ash recurve's) which I did with my medieval re-enactment group.
So I dont know how the Walther compares to others, but I can tell you it was a lot of fun and seemed pretty accurate. That is, I didnt have a hard time hitting things with only my limited experience and basic arms training.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
Old 02-11-2007, 08:35 PM   #43
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
No Prob's Sgt , Might get a Bayonet one day just to finish the set.

Thanks Steve , I should read my research a little closer , shouldn't I . !!!!!

flappist,
I bought this rifle when I moved back up the country , and it was a matter of Economics . 22 for a $100 or so , or this one on special for $100 incl. 100 rounds of ammo. Also , when my Dad was alive , he showed me how to strip it , assemble it , quicker than I could load the Mag . He used them from 1942-45
I had 60 acres with a few sheep & lambs "And Foxes" , and the .22 just wouldn't make the distance . It might not be the "best around" but I'm damn sure I wouldn't want to stand at the "Pointy End" and "It does the job".

Norm
Yes they were a well made and well designed utility rifle for their era but hardly the worlds best bolt action battle rifle.

Most of the problems with the No1Mk3 were attempted to be corrected with the No4 but there were still intrinsic design issues that could not be overcome.
e.g. The original cartridge and for that matter the SMLE/Lee metford were designed for black powder, fixed or slowly moving massed position and short range i.e. 1860-1920.
As warfare strategies progressed and things begab to move faster they were too weak and had too short of a sight radius to engage at the longer ranges necessary.
During WW2 most of the armies were moving to self loading firearms while the British (and us of course) were stuck with the same bloody minded commanding mentality that gave us events like Gallipoli and market garden.
It was ok before so therefore we do not need to change.

In saying all this they served our country well but then the 06 Springfield did the same for USA, Mosin Nagant turned back the germans in USSR and the Mausers of various types are STILL used all over the world.

For many years I was involved in competitive shooting with military rifles and have seen people spend thousands in an attempt to make a SMLE shoot straight, that is sub MoA. No one was able to do this for extended periods. On the other hand pre 1900 '96 action mausers did it out of the box.

Bottom line. I have owned lots of them, I still have one but it has not gone bang for a long time. They are a great rifle but saying they are the best would be like say the GTHO was the best muscle car ever made. To the true believers this is gospel, to all others it is just someones opinion (like my post really).

P.S. If you want value, I used to buy Mosin Nagants in 7.62x54R for $2.50 each (1994) I used to give them away free with every sardine tin of ammo and I sold squillions of them, mostly to fishos who just threw them overboard when they ran out of ammo.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:35 PM   #44
nitroman
nitroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
are you trying to convince us or your self?

Dont get me wrong I'm not anti shooting but put simply blood sports arnt my bag
I'm not saying that hunting is for everybody, but if you eat meat it comes from a dead animal doesen't it? Even if you are vegetarian (like my missus) you can still enjoy target shooting. Clay pidgeon shooting is loads of fun, target shooting at a club, or even shooting cans with an air rifle or a .22 is a blast (excuse the pun). Give it a go, you might like it!
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #45
Bent8
Long live the GT !

Quote:
Yes they were a well made and well designed utility rifle for their era but hardly the worlds best bolt action battle rifle.
Exactly, if you want the best bolt action, look no further than the Remington 700 (7mm)...good enough for the US Secret Service.

"Whatya think of me car, XR Falcon, 351 Blown Cleveland running Motec injection and runnin' on methanol... goes pretty hard too, got heaps of torque for chucking burnouts, IT'S UNREAL !!" - Poida
Old 02-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #46
nitroman
nitroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpTrader
I used to shoot near Mudgee around 25 years ago as a teenager but gave it up when all the new laws came in, it just seemed all to hard to bother with.

I just read the NSW requirements for obtaining a license and having to go to clubs and shoot at least 4 times a year or whatever sounds bothersome too, however, I do love to shoot targets (as in just shooting targets in the bush, not at a club) so maybe I'll check it out further, can't hurt I guess.

Anyone recently got their license? Was it a pain in the butt?
Getting your licence isn't that hard providing you don't have a criminal record. All the questions they ask are really safety common sense, and if you need to do the firearms handling course it could only expand your knowledge on the subject in a good way. The main thing is having a genuine reason, which means either joining SSAA or your local club, or knowing a farmer who can sign off your licence application.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 02-11-2007, 11:00 PM   #47
nitroman
nitroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by normxb
Hi SgtBourne,
No Probs , I checked with Admin originally , As long as I display my Current Licence here (expiry 2008) :-

Complete set-up 2 x Bandoleers , 20 original Clips (5 rounds ea) for quick loading & Rifle ( Bolt & Magazine separate) :-

Don't know if you can read it , but the build date is on the metal strap around the stock .

This one is an English build , (British Small Arms Co) , they were also built in a number of factories in England , India and of course Lithgow Australia.

Gun cabinet has been Inspected by Police and exceeds current Regulations

Norm
Nice gun Norm, I'll pop around and check it out one day soon.
GASGAS 400 enduro.
Honda hr192 mower
Old 02-11-2007, 11:05 PM   #48
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flappist> you seem like a knowable individual, I got a Winchester 32-40 manufactured 1890, yes with the hexagon barrel and all John Wayne western style, it's been in the family since 1900 or something

It’s basically sat there all greased up since the 80’s when it was last fired by my grandfather. One minor issue I got is no ammunition or Brass to replicate, I have herd you can cut down Brass from another 32 cal rifle and use bullets from somewhere else but it’s all fairly hazy info.

You wouldn’t have any info on this procedure or how to get hold of Brass or actual rounds for it would you, would love to dust the old girl off.

I know ammunition has not been made for some time thou.

Cheers.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 PM   #49
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Sounds Good Nitro ,
Between us we should have quite a few spots around here to go for a "pot-shot" , last time I went out the Cowra rd to my cousins about 6 months ago , Geesh , the "Old Dead Tree" didn't move much after I put 40 rounds into it . I hadn't used it for a while and thought I'd "blow the cobwebs out of it" : [pun intended] . (bring yours when you come ).

As for licences , I got a shooters licence when you went to the Police Station , told them your name and address , they filled in a little book (no ID asked for) paid $15 and you were Ok for another 3 years .

Things were a lot easier before people did "Stupid Things" with them , Dad bought me an Air-rifle for my 8th birthday and an Austrian "Voere" (Sp) .22 Semi-Auto for my 13th birthday , but had to hand it in when the first "Anti Semi-Auto" was on in the 1980's (Barry Unsworth Government)

Oh , How things change .

Norm

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
Old 03-11-2007, 12:26 AM   #50
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Flappist> you seem like a knowable individual, I got a Winchester 32-40 manufactured 1890, yes with the hexagon barrel and all John Wayne western style, it's been in the family since 1900 or something

It’s basically sat there all greased up since the 80’s when it was last fired by my grandfather. One minor issue I got is no ammunition or Brass to replicate, I have herd you can cut down Brass from another 32 cal rifle and use bullets from somewhere else but it’s all fairly hazy info.

You wouldn’t have any info on this procedure or how to get hold of Brass or actual rounds for it would you, would love to dust the old girl off.

I know ammunition has not been made for some time thou.

Cheers.
Ammo is not a problem, with the upsurge of "western (no) action" target shooting there is plenty available.
That rifle may be quite valuable. PM me the actual model and serial number and I will look it up. Any special features such as mag length, sights, stock comb etc would be useful too.

During the gun confiscation of 1997 I sold about 170 lever actions to a collector for about $25 each. One was super rare and he sold it to a septic for US$10k. Ever since then I have taken notice of what things are worth.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:25 AM   #51
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers, I will pull it out tomorrow if I get a chance. Thou I don't think I would ever sell it due to how long it has been with us
Old 03-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #52
POD_66
Starter Motor

Havent been out for sometime now,either work or family commitments, but i have still got a few guns left in the cupboard just in case, [1] - 1917,303 enfield smle, hasnt everone got one of these ? [2] -.222 remington for the roos. [3]- .243 alpine, for anything bigger. [4] -scout .177 air rifle, the cats hate it, [5]-sterling .22 wifes bunny buster. [6] 1965 model2 brno, last of the hand made ones. got this gun 25 years ago,given to me on my 16th -well there goes my age-, it was still in its wax paper wrapping and had never been fired,my absolute favourite gun, its a beautiful weapon and brings tears to my eyes just looking at it, a definate heirloom. sorry i went off track there for a bit!!! .[7]-savage .22 just a roughy you can throw in the back of the ute and not worry about the scratches.[8]- lithgow .22 single shot, when i need to teach the kids, [9]-amadeo rossi side by side 12 gauge shotty, this thing is beautiful and should be hanging above a mantle piece, not stuck in a safe but thems the rules i s'pose, probably right to. have a few others at a friends property but have lost track of what they are, guess i should round them up one day
Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #53
la2or
Your Hero

i plan to get a pump 30cal
lever shotgun
357 revolver.
303 bolt

these are the most cool guns you can get if you are just a regular rifle and handgun a n b n h licence holder as far as im aware.

I think only farmers, farmhands can get the semi auto / pump shotgun licences

Category C weapons
Each of the following is a category C weapon if it has not been rendered permanently inoperable--

1. a semiautomatic rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds;
2. a semiautomatic shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds;
3. a pump action shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds.

like these goodies

Category C weapons
Each of the following is a category C weapon if it has not been rendered permanently inoperable--

1. a semiautomatic rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity no greater than 10 rounds;
2. a semiautomatic shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds;
3. a pump action shotgun with a magazine capacity no greater than 5 rounds.

Category D weapons
Each of the following is a category D weapon--

1. a self-loading centre fire rifle designed or adapted for military puroses or a firearm that substantially duplicates a rifle of that type in design, function or appearance;
2. a non-military style self-loading centre fire rifle with either an integra or detachable magazine;
3. a self-loading shotgun with either an integral or detachable magazine with a capacity of more than 5 rounds and a pump action shotgun with a capacity ofmore than 5 rounds.
4. a self-loading rimfire rifle with a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds
Old 04-11-2007, 05:37 PM   #54
HLC
Audi S3

Yeah ive been shooting for years.

I WORK at the Shooting Academy at Auburn in Sydney, and compete in IPSC pistol shooting
Old 04-11-2007, 05:38 PM   #55
la2or
Your Hero

I was wondering at auburn and bankstwon gun clubs do you ever get fully sick people trying to steal your guns?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:40 PM   #56
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
I may actually apply for license soon and get me a Glock 19 or maybe a USP 40cal...if Howard doesn't ban pistols aswell that is!!
40cal's are banned. above the legal calibre sizes.

Not to cluey on Glock's i hate them.

you'd be much better off with a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm. (Military and Police)

same striker fire action as a glock. just a million times better. i use mine for competition.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:41 PM   #57
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2or
I was wondering at auburn and bankstwon gun clubs do you ever get fully sick people trying to steal your guns?
no. we just get fully sick people trying to apply for licences to buy guns. for god knows what reason.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:43 PM   #58
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
4) Glock 19 is restricted from pistol club ownership, only 17A, 17L, 31 and 34
I own a HK USP Match 9mm. USP's are not banned.

USP Compacts are. they fall under the barrel length requirements.

and any USP larger than 9mm banned as well.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #59
la2or
Your Hero

Is 357 revolver 1 of the best pistols you can get? Like it is under 38 and can shoot 357 and 38SP?

Who can own a 45 is that just security and gun shop owners?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #60
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent8
Really!!...geez you'd think the Glock 19 would be allowed as it only holds 15rnds, what about the Beretta 9mm's??...is it still a 6mth waiting period??
HAHAHa lots to learn. maximum legal magazine size in Australia is 10 rounds lol so even if the gun can hold a 15, 18, 30 round mag. you can only own 10 round mags. the others are ILLEGAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by la2or
Is 357 revolver 1 of the best pistols you can get? Like it is under 38 and can shoot 357 and 38SP?

Who can own a 45 is that just security and gun shop owners?
Ruger GP100 .357 my fav revolver of all time. i always put 38SP rounds through it as well. really accurate.

45s. hmmm. collectors can have them. i know an importer that has an M&P in .45 as far as sec. guards, nah cant have them (as far as i know)