Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 24-01-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
these guys have been investigated by a few organisations and nothing was found to be dodgey or illegal, so they are not scammers at all.
as mentioned, they are trading from the back of a van, no overheads etc and they arent breaking any laws.
if the product sounds good and your happy with it, whats your gripe?
unhappy you didnt get to pay top dollar?
Fair point..

But when you buy retail, you get receipts, warranty etc.

With these guys, what sercurity do you have?

You spend "200ish" on a home theatre that doesn't work. And you'll pay retail buying a proper one as a replacement.

Who wins? The van sellers!
boss-290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:12 PM   #32
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Cheap speakers bought from the back of a van and "They sound awesome". Are you for real or what.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 10:14 PM   #33
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Just ask for a written tax invoice with ABN & Address

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #34
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

my bro got a receipt when he purchased his home theatre system from them
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #35
NOS-377

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_r_d
Lol if you read my previous post I said it happend at the servo... guess where in Melton at the Caltex LOL
they asked me today at the same servo . new toyota hiace van . i aussie guy and 1 african sort of guy . selling ekhlipse speakers .. said they were worth 3500 . i told him ill give u $50 for it .. obviously he didnt take it
NOS-377 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 12:53 AM   #36
lostdude

I had a friend who bought a set in the fairfield (sydney) area a while ago bout 4 years, they sounded ok for the price .
Old 25-01-2008, 01:03 AM   #37
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Just ask for a written tax invoice with ABN & Address
86 759 100 847

333 Collins St
Melbourne.

If they are scammers its not like they care. Its not like youre going to do a search of the register at the back of the van. Or with a little research of their own, they just provide the ABN and address of a legit business.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:06 AM   #38
blownba
LPG Forum Moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all his assistance helping members with their LPG issues. 

I almost got into a fight with these two.
They used to rock up to my work all the time and we got sick of em. They must have a high turnover of employee's cause the guys would change evr few weeks but they were always in newer vans, like Kia's and Hiace's.
Anyway I finally got sick of em and when they asked for the 15th time that month I told them to eff off and one of em got out of the van and came at me but luckily my old boss (big black Pakistani) came out of the office and chased the guy back to the van and I never seen a diesel Kia preggio peel rubber like that.
blownba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 04:01 AM   #39
WizBang
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These guys have been going around for years as I once got ask about 7 years ago .Thought they gave up by now ,but goes to show you that people must be faling for these guys if they are still going
WizBang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #40
Addz08
"FEED IT"

Had this happen to me about 5-6 years ago at my local corner shop, two guy's selling speakers and stereo gear from a white van, was all new gear, had just bought some new gear only days before I was offered this stuff, but I was still contemplating buying, but then decided against it when the guy became agressive and very pushy when I decided not to buy..

Addz08
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:15 PM   #41
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

you can get the same type of speakers off ebay..

really cheaply made in a dodgy country no doubt..

see here: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DREAM-ACOUSTI...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 25-01-2008, 01:35 PM   #42
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same story different location......was minding my own business washing the XP at the Kerang car wash, very clean late model HiAce van, story was they were making a delivery of Home projectors, they had picked them up and were oversupplied by one unit, and if it wasnt sold they'd have to give it back, and i could get a bargain if i made an offer. i ended up wasting a lot of their time, mostly cos i was bored, and also cos i didnt trust them so i farted around and called a mate and asked about the brand and if he'd be interested, anyway, they wanted $1000, i said i didnt have any money, they got a bit pushy. they showed me the projector, it was in a black bag, in the back of a completely empty van......bit suss and too much unknowns to get my $1000
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 01:55 PM   #43
robjunior

i have been approched as well,same as everyone else white van 2 blokes trying to sell speakers ,was told extra stock. 1st time about 7 years ago,2nd time was about 6 months ago.funny thing is it was at the same servo-maccas in campbellfield(mel)both times.by the sound of it,there is a group of them or the 2 blokes do a hell of a lot of driving
robjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #44
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Happened to me at a Melbourne western suburbs shopping car park maybe 1.5 years ago - white van, two guys, home theatre equipment. I just laughed and passed on it. They went off to find someone else.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:34 PM   #45
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was doin work exp at a mech shop in croydon, sydney. 2 guys in a white mitsubishi van rocked up, slid back the door and lo and behold Sean Paul and Von Dutch crap as far as the eye can see
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #46
Bundwah
Living the Life in Cranny

I've copped these jokers on three different occassions. In Port Melbourne, South Oakleigh and Cranbourne. Each time they were very aggressive and pushy. First time I wasted the guys time for about 20 mins and he stormed off when I said no. I must have sucker stamped on my forehead.
Old 25-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #47
ONBA1L

ye ive seen these guys aswell.... they were driving up and down waverley gardens car park asking everybody if they wanted it and i heard the exact same lines aswell
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #48
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFdesign
I remember being approached in 1992! This has been happening for decades... usually it's cheap stock sold for several times what it's worth.
Mid 80s when they tried me ... luckily I was flat broke so didn't even consider it !
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #49
my gt
Extreme Machine

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_van_speakers
my gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #50
TadKa
Wait? What?

wow I've never heard of this in Tas. we often have the "uni student" selling "paintings". I'm almost tempted to get a van and a load of crap speakers and cruise around tas flogging them. I don't think I could be aggressive enough. oh yeh. and I'm not a rip off bastard. If I didn't have a sony 6.2 and someone offered me the speakers like the ones on ebay for 200 bucks I'd probably reach for my wallet.
TadKa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #51
XR-351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This happend to me today at the BP in Caroline Springs at aprox 2:10 pm, same car, we were heading out the servo and let them in... they pulled down the window and said," hey interested in buying a theater system we have overstock" and were showing a recipt while talking, the other bloke i work with just told em to get...

the description of the guys are the same

REG Number was waw926

very dodgy blokes if ya ask me
XR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 08:36 PM   #52
shane3
FPV GT 0915

I had this happen to me (about 19 months ago) only to notice that there was a 3rd guy sitting in the back of the van, VERY sus...........possible car jacking? as he also pulled up to a guy in a brand new Holden and tried the same thing at the next set of lights.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 10:58 PM   #53
AusM
AusMotorsport

Just tell them you're interested, on the condition that you can take their photo first - see what reaction you get!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2008, 11:11 PM   #54
theunfairadvant

Back then when i was a courier I have seen them on the road back in 1992,
and have seen them every year on the road till i stop working as a courier
in 2002.
theunfairadvant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #55
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Happened to me in Balmain NSW way back when an EA had a 3.9

Also had a bloke try sell me some "quality imported italian suits"
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 11:24 AM   #56
white_van_scum

Paramount Audio Performance
3/9 Plummer Street
Pt. Melbourne 3207

Phone (03) 9570 1127

ABN 75 046 050 244

This is the guy who is running the show. His name is registered to the business name and ABN, but I assume the phone number and address are fake. The parasite runs from location to location hiding from people instead of being a man and facing up to the people he's ripped off with faulty and misrepresented goods. It's no big secret who he is.

Last edited by white_van_scum; 20-06-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: more info
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #57
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should have fines like in america(up to 10k if you get caught)
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 11:56 AM   #58
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_van_scum
Paramount Audio Performance
3/9 Plummer Street
Pt. Melbourne 3207

Phone (03) 9570 1127

ABN 75 046 050 244

This is the guy who is running the show. His name is registered to the business name and ABN, but I assume the phone number and address are fake. The parasite runs from location to location hiding from people instead of being a man and facing up to the people he's ripped off with faulty and misrepresented goods. It's no big secret who he is.

hehe, number busy. all you guys trying to call him as well aye?
Old 20-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #59
Mark s
1.3 Litre Suzuki power

I remember being pulled over in the Sydney CBD back in the early 90's with this scam. Recently I read on the Eastwood Hifi Website that this scam is back and people are getting ripped. If you only pay a $100 for the speakers I am sure they are fine.

I was on the lookout for a set of decent speakers for my family room. I did notice a few brands like Dynalab and Fleetwood for sale on ebay. The speakers looked really nice in the photo's but on doing a search on Google, I could not find any information on those brand names. I contacted the guys at Eastwood and they confirmed they were dodgy brands.

Seems a few people who have been caught out are trying to recoup some lost money.

I ended up with a nice set a wharfedale speakers, second hand. I went and had a look at them prior to bidding and they sounded very clean. Only paid $300 for them on Ebay.

Cheers
Mark

EF 4lt 1995 in Green on LPG. To and from work hack.

XY Fairmont 1971 in Bronze Wine, 302, Top Loader, 9" Still trying to find out if she is a GS or plain jane Monty.

Mustang 1966 coupe, Silver frost, A code, C4, factory bench seat, A/C, P/S rally pac, AM radio with 8 track. Awaiting funds for resto.

K6 Hayabusa....Dead Stock and why would one need to spend thousands on mods.................
Mark s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #60
white_van_scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
hehe, number busy. all you guys trying to call him as well aye?
Yes I think he set up that phone no so that no one can contact him for warranty etc. It's engaged 24 hours a day. He's probably left a dial up modem connected and the house its in is probably empty.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post