Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #31
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Territory to continue post 2016?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
I like the idea of the Explorer as its more road SUV based but I think whatever we get it will be manufactured in Thailand.
this is part the reason I believe we will get the explorer as its already been designated to the Thailand plant for build for outside us models and also believe already being built besides the quote below by ford Thailand ive also read something (cant find atm) from ford us

QUOTE FORD THAILAND
http://www.bangkokpost.com/57pro2003/ford.html
a proud heritage
In Thailand, the Ford history dates back to 1913 when the legendary Model T was first introduced to the country's automotive industry. Now, 90 years later, Ford is one of the country's biggest exporters of pick-up trucks, Ford Ranger, and family sport utility vehicles (SUV), Ford Everest. In addition, Ford Thailand manages and markets the global Ford Motor Company's highly-acclaimed fully-integrated vehicles, namely Ford Ranger, Ford Tierra sedan, Ford Explorer, Ford Everest, and Ford Escape

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 11:57 AM   #32
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Huh??

The Territory was based on the Falcon, nothing else.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #33
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Huh??
then why my 02 explorer look so much like an teri and has interchangeable parts (oh ford us must of copied us)
yes in aust its built on the falcon platform

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 27-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
Huh??
then why my 02 explorer look so much like an teri and has interchangeable parts (oh ford us must of copied us)
Looking the same doesnt mean anything but Ford Australia's designers using global styling styling cues from the Explorer. Probably a couple of parts here and there, but they do that with all Fords. The new Ranger for example uses a Fiesta steering wheel.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

This user likes this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #35
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this may be so but they have more in common than well a bolt on steering wheel the ranger didnt share a body shape design with the fiesta
but like the first aust falcons/fairlanes sharing design (body aswell) features from the us equivalents
i still think there is enough similarity to these two models and be it that the explorer is being built in Thailand (and as ford and other car companies have done in the past have a vehicle with a name plate change that's being sent to another country) i feel there is a good chance we may get the explorer marketed in aust as a terri

Old 27-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
Itsme
Experienced Member

The territory will be dead along with the falcon after 2016.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
this is part the reason I believe we will get the explorer as its already been designated to the Thailand plant for build for outside us models
If this is true id say its a given,

I couldnt find anything to support explorers being built in Thailand but I found this article on the 2014 Everest

http://www.themotorreport.com.au/561...w-in-the-metal
Now that looks very much like the back of an Explorer with Ranger front end.
a good looking thing if you ask me, but its built on the T6 Ranger platform according to the article.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 27-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #38
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just to thro another curve another quote snippet however I didn't get this one from a ford release thou

In February 2013, Ford had set up an investor presentation and on one of the slides was a leaked image of the 2015 Ford Edge...............goes on bit more bout the edge...............(then)The second generation Edge will be sold globally along with other Ford products from North America such as the 2015 Mustang and 2013 Explorer......

Old 27-05-2013, 03:15 PM   #39
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Canadian cousins Explorer LTD is an awesome vehicle !!! pity it won't be $39,990can here !!!!
Old 27-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #40
Bowser22

Quote:
Huh??
What??? Name them.......
And cross reference part numbers too, not just make it up as you go
Bowser22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #41
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Territory is a very unique, exceptional design. Those of us who've owned Territorys aren't going to be fooled by something badge-engineered that's originated in the USA. Certainly not an Explorer which is nothing like the same thing. It would be bye bye Ford from me, for one.

One of the things that Ford in USA maybe don't get is that they offer nothing from over there of the design quality of the Falcon and Territory. If anything, the Australian designs should be selling over there, not the other way around. But probably a bit of chauvinism stands in the way of that.

The smaller European Fords are very appealing but we don't need something that size atm. If we did, we'd be looking at a Skoda equivalent first. So after our present Territory wears out, not looking good for Ford at our household.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 04:56 PM   #42
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
One of the things that Ford in USA maybe don't get is that they offer nothing from over there of the design quality of the Falcon and Territory.
What a load of bollocks, obviously you have not driven the new Explorer.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #43
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Territory (nameplate) to continue post 2016?

EASYBOSS.. I agree with you the new Explorer is an incredible vehicle !! makes the Titanium Tezza look like a TX model..sorry but its that far ahead of our Tezza....
Old 27-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #44
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
What a load of bollocks, obviously you have not driven the new Explorer.
But I don't want a 4WD/offroad vehicle. Has the whole concept of the Territory bypassed you?
Old 27-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #45
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Nope I own one, and have driven lots of Explorers in the US mostly AWD versions, I would not call them an offraod vehicle, just like a Terry is not.
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

4 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #46
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We (as in Australian's ) don't really know the full extent of just how much Ford Australia engineering staff work on international projects. Sure we know about Ranger and wagon, Indian market Fiesta, China market product etc. I have no doubt that Ford Australia will have a fairly reasonable say in engineering input in the next Explorer (if it replaces Terry), as don't forget we are talking about selling in 2016+. Ford Aust works on components/projects for euro Ford models as well. Different divisions work within the 24hr cycle so when we sleep, US works, then Europe then back to us. Organising phone conferences means some late nights as they link US and Asian offices with Europe but a lot more goes on then is publicised. We won't be a market as big as the US for Explorer but we will be big enough to have valued input. And Ford has a reputation of dynamically good driving vehicles with it's latest range. US Fords have improving quality ratings as well.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 05:50 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
My Canadian cousins Explorer LTD is an awesome vehicle !!! pity it won't be $39,990can here !!!!
I'm still wondering at what price point will we be getting US built cars when they come here.

Look at what Jeep is selling here. They got that mid sized SUV thinggo for something like 25k drive away. (I hear it's the old model??), but still, that is very cheap! Just had a look. Patriot for 25K, Compass for 26.5K DA.

I assume they are turning a profit on those? So, why wouldn't we be able to have cars sold through the dealers are a reasonable price? They just make so many of them!

If / when Ford NA bring right hook products here to replace what we have it won't be overly expensive looking at how Jeep have priced their base models.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 05:51 PM   #48
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
But I don't want a 4WD/offroad vehicle. Has the whole concept of the Territory bypassed you?
Explorer isn't a 4WD, it moved onto the same FWD/AWD platform as the current Taurus.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 05:54 PM   #49
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
EASYBOSS.. I agree with you the new Explorer is an incredible vehicle !! makes the Titanium Tezza look like a TX model..sorry but its that far ahead of our Tezza....
And the Territory will probably drive the pants off your precious bum-dragger Explorer. There is a reason the Territory is the benchmark for handling and driving dynamics for SUV's.

2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 05:56 PM   #50
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

As far as I'm concered, I very much dought Ford Australia will have any input in the next Explorer, and they dont need to, so why would they waste money doing it.

The current model needs no changes for Aussie or NZ driving conditions or roads, that kind of talk is just a load of rubbish, just needs to be RDH

3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #51
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Explorer isn't a 4WD, it moved onto the same FWD/AWD platform as the current Taurus.
You'd better tell Ford USA it's not an offroad vehicle:

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/fe...#page=Feature2
Old 27-05-2013, 06:18 PM   #52
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
And the Territory will probably drive the pants off your precious bum-dragger Explorer. There is a reason the Territory is the benchmark for handling and driving dynamics for SUV's.
Yep, I wont disput that, espically when driving a very gas gussling F6X, but I would purchase an Explorer over a Terry anyday if they were available

Old 27-05-2013, 06:21 PM   #53
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

Quote:
You'd better tell Ford USA it's not an offroad vehicle:

http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/fe...#page=Feature2
Ha Ha, having driven them in the snow, and in snow mode, and the snow was on the road, thats not offroad, its marketing

3 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 06:27 PM   #54
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

The other thing about the Explorer: no diesel.

Which means no deal for about 70% of Territory buyers. Any Territory replacement must have a diesel engine option. Forget Ecoboost.

2 users like this post:
Old 27-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #55
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The other thing about the Explorer: no diesel.

Which means no deal for about 70% of Territory buyers. Any Territory replacement must have a diesel engine option. Forget Ecoboost.
This I think will be a major concern if there is no diesel option.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 08:26 PM   #56
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

No Exploder for me. I'll keep my Territory.

Hey, that rhymes.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #57
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I'm still wondering at what price point will we be getting US built cars when they come here.

Look at what Jeep is selling here. They got that mid sized SUV thinggo for something like 25k drive away. (I hear it's the old model??), but still, that is very cheap! Just had a look. Patriot for 25K, Compass for 26.5K DA.

I assume they are turning a profit on those? So, why wouldn't we be able to have cars sold through the dealers are a reasonable price? They just make so many of them!

If / when Ford NA bring right hook products here to replace what we have it won't be overly expensive looking at how Jeep have priced their base models.
I'd place money that any Ford NA car bought here will be build and sourced from somewhere in Asia.

Free trade from Thialand, like the current Focus and Ranger - or could we expect big things to come from new plants in China.

Coming from these places should allow some exceptional marketing regarding price and options.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2013, 10:08 PM   #58
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Thai plants are at capacity as they are now, and the new plants in China are not projected to have the mass-market capacity to support exports for a number of years yet. As it stands the Chinese Ford plants and J/V plants will be flat out catering to domestic demand as the Chinese new car market is slated to eclipse the US equivalent by 2020.

We will get cars from Ford plants all over the world.

Old 28-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #59
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The last few days have involved a lot of soul-searching on my part. I actually feel guilty for owning the XR4, but in my defence when I bought it I’d also bought a new BF Cobra. We still have the AU runnabouts, but its now been 5~6 years since I bought a New Falcon.

The soul searching has clarified one thing for me. I am a Falcon lover, and a Ford Man only by extension. When the Falcon dies, so too does my affiliation.

I have never cared that “Ford” is an American company. For me “Ford Australia” was the maker of the Falcon; the biggest selling Australian Car of all time, uniquely Australian for over 40 years, and the only uniquely Australian car left. For that reason I was also a Ford man, and bought other Ford products: A focus made in Belgium, an XR4 made in Germany.
From November 2016, they will be just another importer.

I am still hoping to a keep a shed full of Falcons (and a Turbo Terri.) I will love and cherish and tinker with old falcons until I am nolonger able. I definitely plan to buy at least one NEW Falcon before they end. Maybe a new I6 Terri for her indoors, and a GT for me.
And I will remain a Ford man in so far as my love for 56 years of Falcons will continue, but I will never again by a new Ford.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #60
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EASYBOSS View Post
As far as I'm concered, I very much dought Ford Australia will have any input in the next Explorer, and they dont need to, so why would they waste money doing it.

The current model needs no changes for Aussie or NZ driving conditions or roads, that kind of talk is just a load of rubbish, just needs to be RDH
You mean just like Ford Aust. had no involvement on the Mondeo and it's next cycle...remember we are talking about cars to be sold from 2016 onwards...some are just into PD early stages. And the reason why is in this case Ford Aust. does it cheaper.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post