Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-02-2009, 03:09 PM   #31
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scradley_6666
This thread has become very interesting for me as i leave this friday for phuket.... I'm lookin forward to phi phi island and the sea kayaks already got those tours pre-booked... I'll let you know how i go...
Please do, this thread got me thinking so I mentioned it to the mrs.

Looks like were off to Phuket later this year.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #32
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, the Phi Phi Island tour seems a must. Best I can find is AUD 65 pp.

Other things that look cool are the Elephant tour and ride in Phuket ($44 pp) and the Tiger Temple and bridge over the River Kwai tour that I have found for $86pp (from Bangkok).

Never really thought much about Thailand, but its looks pretty fantastic. I hope I can get my deals done to make it come off.
Old 25-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #33
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Pinch

yes the tiger temple is a must based on what my friends who were there last year have said. An experience to remember.

Although they said, dont go to the Zoo there as they treat the tigers with little respect. They said it was very sad to see and the tiger temple was by far the best experience of an up close encounter.

The Elephant ride is also good (once again based on friends) but prepare for mud, flies etc.

Have a good time

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 04:20 PM   #34
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

A friend of mine is trying to get a few of us together to head over to Phuket in June/July for a week or two.

I'm not sure. Should I go just to say I've been, or give it a miss and save the money to go somewhere I actually want to go to?
I'd love a holiday, would prefer to travel with friends though none of them want to go anywhere I do, but it's never been on my list of places to visit - it just doesn't appeal to me. We have nice beaches here, and I don't like crowds, or nightclubs.

My wishlist is Canada, Finland, Prague, Holland, and maybe Hungary.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 04:38 PM   #35
XWildGT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive been to phuket wasn't bad but i went to changmi and also went up in the hills on a trek and camped with the villagers now that was awsome had a ball went off the tourist track had a guide with us who kept us out of trouble did bangkok as well and pi-pi island went to the Burma border thats as far as we could go as there was some bad s--t going on while i was there went to the Golden triangle etc i would go back again i loved it and the changi beer is awsome i personal wouldn't spend to much time in phuket its real touristy
Old 26-02-2009, 04:40 PM   #36
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
A friend of mine is trying to get a few of us together to head over to Phuket in June/July for a week or two.

I'm not sure. Should I go just to say I've been, or give it a miss and save the money to go somewhere I actually want to go to?
I'd love a holiday, would prefer to travel with friends though none of them want to go anywhere I do, but it's never been on my list of places to visit - it just doesn't appeal to me. We have nice beaches here, and I don't like crowds, or nightclubs.

GO TO PRAGUE, YOU MUST GO TO PRAGUE. Most beautiful place I have ever seen, even more romantic than Paris too.
Old 26-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #37
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

One of my mates when to Thailand and he told me a story about one of the 'shows' that he went to see.

There was the usual ping pong stuff, balls etc. But the big finale, was the girl standing up, squatting a bit and squeezing a budgie out. It then flew around the room and landed on a member of the audience's head.

Classic stuff.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #38
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

my cousin lives in Prague. He said if I ever go, to stay with him.

LOL @ Puety and budgie story.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #39
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

If you have a sense of adventure you can easily land in Finland, travel overland through the European countries you mention then fly out from Hungry.

Finland to Estonia via Ferry (Linda lines if memory serves), then overland to Latvia, then another ferry across to Sweden, then bus (Eurolines) down to Holland via Germany, then across to Hungry through another bunch of European countries, again with bus via Eurolines.

I did a similar trip, and hostelled it along the way. Travelling overland works out to be very cheap. An added bonus is that if you bus it at night you also save a nights accomodation between destinations.

Doing it with internal flights within Europe and 3 star hotels over 2 weeks will cost the same as doing it by bus and staying in hostels over a month.

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 12:26 AM   #40
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Or trains if you don't like buses. We went the trains, the City Night Line was great!
Old 27-02-2009, 01:04 AM   #41
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
If you have a sense of adventure you can easily land in Finland, travel overland through the European countries you mention then fly out from Hungry.

Finland to Estonia via Ferry (Linda lines if memory serves), then overland to Latvia, then another ferry across to Sweden, then bus (Eurolines) down to Holland via Germany, then across to Hungry through another bunch of European countries, again with bus via Eurolines.

I did a similar trip, and hostelled it along the way. Travelling overland works out to be very cheap. An added bonus is that if you bus it at night you also save a nights accomodation between destinations.

Doing it with internal flights within Europe and 3 star hotels over 2 weeks will cost the same as doing it by bus and staying in hostels over a month.

Cheers,

Jason
Thanks Jason!! That's pretty good info!!

Russell - I have no issue with bus travel - considering I drive one for a living. Actually it would probably relax me, being something so familliar!
I really want to visit Ploskovic Castle, though it's a fair way out of the city.

Germany would be interesting. Really want to go on the tour through Auschwitz.

The only thing that may hamper my travels is that I want to be in Helsinki for the Helldone Festival on New Years' Eve.
I realise that is the middle of their winter, it's dark 24/7, and bitterly cold.
It would make it virtually impossible to see things like Suomenlinna and the Rock Church.

Anyway, I won't hijack the thread any further.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford

Last edited by Feathers; 27-02-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
belvo

ive been to phuket once and its a preaty cool place everything so cheap. have u ever been to bali thats realy nice great shoping everthing is extremly cheap and food is awsow lobster for like 5 bucks and its a beutiful place
belvo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 08:30 PM   #43
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Phuket and Bangkok, Jeez talk about evading the swear filter

I have never been but i have friend's over there at the moment.

They are due back late Sunday night.

I will get their feedback and pass it onto you if you like Pinch.

Cheers, Adam.
Old 28-02-2009, 02:37 PM   #44
iCat
doof doof doof doof

Spent 2 weeks in Bangkok, 5 days in a cheaper, clean hotel, and then the rest at the Marriott Resort. Under $200 aus a night for a junior suite with balcony, it is absolutely superb. Is just out of town, on the river, but the resort has small complimentary teak boats which run you up to the train station to take you right into town. It was lovely to join the hussle and bustle of Bangkok, but so nice to come back to our own private resort.

Oh, and go to the Tiger Temple. It's a little bit touristy now, but its a wonderful experience. the love and respect the monks have for their animals and the surrounding wild animals is awesome.

i only went over for the Asia Cup soccer, wasn't really keen on going to Bangkok as such, but i so want to go back again.
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks all for the informative replies. 'Shows' aren't really my thing though, but will report back on the rest. Bon voyage to all those still to head over too.
Old 18-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just an update I found on Trip Advisor. Thailand has introduced a foreign card ATM fee of B150 for each transaction (credit or debit). That's about $A6. You will need to add this to your card issuers fee. So each transaction is likely to cost $8 - 15. Great way to entice tourists who are staying away in droves due to political instability.

Back to the 70's and travellers cheques and money changers it seems. Usual Thai charge for cashing traveller's cheques is B33 (about $A1.20).
Old 18-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #47
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We only ever take travelers cheques and a small sum in cash, which is really in case we run out, or we need to exchange a small amount at the airport for some drinks or a bite to eat.

Just take TC. They are accepted pretty everywhere, use only the money exchange on the street as you get the best rate. Hotels are terrible. Back in October, exchange rate was low 20's. Previous 2 trip's it was low 30's.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #48
CPOCSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
Im going to Bangkok and Pattaya in April.

Looking forward to good times, Seeing Family and enjoying the cheap shopping/living.

Also a tip for any singles there, check for an Adams apple, easiest way to tell...
Ahhhh Pattaya - my idea of heaven (I am a sailor remember!!)

Marilyns Bar was the place to be and if you want budget accom and be right in the thick of it, the Pattaya Lan Hotel is the place to stay - has hot AND cold running water and is air conditioned.

Phuket is not bad but the Patonga types are gunshy after the Tsunami.

As for the She-males - you will never pick them unless you do a Paul Hogan on them, if in doubt, go for the grope and come up swinging if there is meat and 2 veg!

Hooroo

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #49
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

sorry to sorta hijack the thread but i'd rather not start a new thread...

Anyone been to Hong Kong? Any tips on things to do? Should i get a guide? Im gonna try organise a few mates to go... Ill keep you all updated...

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #50
CPOCSM

Anywhere in Kowloon - I stayed at the Peninsula and was pickedup at the Kai Tek airport in a Rolls Royce (an old one though!!). Honkers is just a gas and very geared to the tourist dollar. I would suggest you get off the beaten track and look at the local markets - just gets you away from the hustle and bustle. Haggle your **** off too - they expect it there.

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-04-2009, 07:19 AM   #51
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default thailand

the worst thing about thailand is having to come home!. been 4 times . been to chang mai , river kwai etc. my best advice is try to get a land only flight . most hotels are cheaper and then barter for tour prices @guides etc. these package tours are a ripoff
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post