Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #31
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smoking is a habit that destroys your lungs, rots your gums, can cause blindness, gangrene and a host of other funky diseases.

There's the health issue.

Back when I worked at a cabinet maker, the foreman (who was the ****ing laziest fat ****head I ever met in my life) asked me to go to his car to get some money for a sausage roll. Now this guy smoked more than he worked. His car smelled like a camel jizzed in it, then took a dump. Smoker's cars reek.

In terms of driving, drivers who smoke while driving almost always throw their butts out the window, as well as flick their ash. I frankly don't care if smokers choose to destroy their insides...just don't destroy the outside (being what is left of Earth) with your crap.

Smoking in cars isn't as bad as a phone, as phone conversations MAY cause drivers to concentrate more on the conversation than the road. Smoking is a non-interactive activity that involves sticking a paper stick with tobacco in your mouth and lighting it. The risk is not as high as a phone.

And stiff **** if you burn your pants.
Wear shorts instead and burn your legs. They'll probably get amputated in 30 years time. :P
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 05:20 PM   #32
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

I have an aquaintance that will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life because his, at the time, fiance dropped a cancer stick in her lap while driving. God forbid that he should ever "whinge".
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #33
Jeeepers
Merry Xmas To All

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfin
Whingers?? Because we have to share the bad habit and it's consequences? Picking ones nose is a bad habit, so is it ok to wipe it on someone else? Or should I fart prolificaly in the company of others? Same thing heh? It's your body and your choice, but I don't need to share the foul refuse in any way shape or form.
Having said that, I guess my avatar isn't helping my plight!!! : : :
Jeeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 06:50 PM   #34
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Smoking is a habit that destroys your lungs, rots your gums, can cause blindness, gangrene and a host of other funky diseases.

There's the health issue.

Back when I worked at a cabinet maker, the foreman (who was the ****ing laziest fat ****head I ever met in my life) asked me to go to his car to get some money for a sausage roll. Now this guy smoked more than he worked. His car smelled like a camel jizzed in it, then took a dump. Smoker's cars reek.

In terms of driving, drivers who smoke while driving almost always throw their butts out the window, as well as flick their ash. I frankly don't care if smokers choose to destroy their insides...just don't destroy the outside (being what is left of Earth) with your crap.

Smoking in cars isn't as bad as a phone, as phone conversations MAY cause drivers to concentrate more on the conversation than the road. Smoking is a non-interactive activity that involves sticking a paper stick with tobacco in your mouth and lighting it. The risk is not as high as a phone.

And stiff **** if you burn your pants.
Wear shorts instead and burn your legs. They'll probably get amputated in 30 years time. :P
I'm not so sure about that.... You are effectively holding a small fire or material which could cause a fire in your hand for over 5 minutes when you should be fully in control of the car. It simply does not compute that it is no less a handicap to full control than a mobile phone which could be used remotely and still be unlawful.
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 07:01 PM   #35
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I would rather walk than not smoke in the car :thebirds:
Actually I would rather carjack 4 fat hells angels than walk.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #36
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

No smoking, eating, drinking or animals in my car.

My Dad smokes, but only outside the house, at work, or in his car.

We had a 1960-something Merc that was previously owned by a smoker, and you could see the stains all over the seats and the roof lining. Gross.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #37
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapn_Kiwi
I hear that. My sister keeps ending up with cigarette burns on her pants. Also, if it's cold/raining, the ones behind the drivers tend to be the one to get the night cold wind and the rain hitting them in the face.
Lol. I suggest anyone suffering from this ailment to kindly ask the person who is driving you around to put his/her window up and stop smoking.

"hey, thaks for the lift - but can you put that cigarette out?"

If it's me - you'll be walking home from the pub (because i spent all night standing out in the rain smoking! lol)

Do what you want in your own car. I'll do what i want in mine!!

Quote:
have an aquaintance that will be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life because his, at the time, fiance dropped a cancer stick in her lap while driving. God forbid that he should ever "whinge".
OK that's a bit crass. Of course we're considerate of your friend and dont wish a disability upon anyone.... but it's a bit low using something like this to argue a point. I cant in good conscience voice an opposing view to someone drawing a link between smoking in a car and a para/quadraplegic friend. Sorry if that sounds harsh.
Old 18-08-2006, 07:12 PM   #38
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I would rather walk than not smoke in the car :thebirds:
Actually I would rather carjack 4 fat hells angels than walk.
"If i could smoke in my sleep, i would"
Old 18-08-2006, 07:40 PM   #39
broady081
broady081

uim a smoker and its just a force of habit to smoke in my car i think its just a thing us smokers do
broady081 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #40
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

Im a non smoker but unlike alot i dont care if people smoke around me etc. etc. but smoking in my car is not on even smoking around my car with windows and doors open is not on, i dont care if they wanna smoke why should my car car have to f***ing stink because someone else needs to feed their addiction.
Old 18-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #41
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont smoke anywhere
Old 18-08-2006, 08:04 PM   #42
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Im a non-smoker & havent allowed smokeing in any of my cars. I dont eat im my car but I do drink bottled water or a cup of coke or coffeee from Macca's etc love my cup holders.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #43
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

People are treated, to a large degree, by the respect that they show themselves and others. Smoking is a form of self abuse, not un-like petrol sniffing and alcholism. I look at most smokers with distain, they abuse themselves and then expect the tax payer to pick up the pieces when it all goes belly up. Please no, "I pay my tax on every packet I buy" All this tax put together does not cover the cost of treating tobacco addicts.

Self respect goes a long way towards how people see us. No one is perfect. But we should have the self respect to treat ourselves but than sucking on tobacco.
Outbackjack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 09:55 PM   #44
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
People are treated, to a large degree, by the respect that they show themselves and others. Smoking is a form of self abuse, not un-like petrol sniffing and alcholism. I look at most smokers with distain, they abuse themselves and then expect the tax payer to pick up the pieces when it all goes belly up. Please no, "I pay my tax on every packet I buy" All this tax put together does not cover the cost of treating tobacco addicts.

Self respect goes a long way towards how people see us. No one is perfect. But we should have the self respect to treat ourselves but than sucking on tobacco.
People can suck on tobacco if they want. That doesn't bother me.
It's their body, their lungs to "cancerise", their legs to chop off, their eyes to blind and their teeth to fall out...
To me, it's only an issue when a) smokers smoke in a car when a non-smoker is a passenger
b) Smokers smoke in non-smoking areas.

As I said, it's their choice to destroy what is left of their bodies (and really, we do have frail bodies). I only oppose it when smokers blow their poison in my direction.

With people like that, it's no wonder we don't cure cancer.
Old 18-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #45
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Used to smoke in the car ... the amount of ash that blew back in was amazing.
I haven't smoked for over a year now .... and it's been great ... the car is much cleaner ... but once you smoke in a car ... the smell stays in the A/C system.

Every time I turn the A/C on ... I smell smoke ... and it's been a long time since I smoked ... so there's no way of getting rid of the smell either ... I have tried just about everything.

I have never smoked in the Territory ... and that's a good thing too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #46
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love hearing how people quit smoking.
Not that I condemn the smokers, but for something so addictive, it's great to hear of people changing their habits for themselves, as well as possibly their children, which for me is the greatest motivation of all, although I have no kids.
Old 19-08-2006, 03:47 AM   #47
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

One of the biggest regrets of my life .... 32 years ago I drove from Sydney - WA - Sydney with a mate who smoked & it started from there ... buggered if I can give it up (Ok , no willpower ) . I tell my kids "best way to give up smoking is to Never Start".

But coming from a Non-smoking family I have Never :-

Smoked in anyone elses car (only in my car if I'm alone on a long trip-window down)
Smoked in anyone elses house (I use the smoking room... it's called "outside")
Smoked in a restaurant or any eating place. (even before the laws came in)
Smoked in the car with the family , only during a "pitt stop" outside the car.
Smoked in the XB in respect as it was Dads car .

Only in my office/back room , rest of the house is "a smoke free zone"
*Never ash or throw butts out the window , best way of starting Bushfires*

I once tried to make my Music Shop "Smoke Free" but had to reverse my decision as my takings dropped 30% because so many Muso's smoke & when they went outside for a smoke they kept going . After putting back the ashtrays & taking down the signs , takings went back up within 1 week. ($2,400 a week was a lot to lose in the 80's).

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 07:56 AM   #48
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Tell it to the pedestrian council buddy.

Ive been banned from smoking pretty much every where i go. Workplaces, resteraunts and now pubs FFS. Try and stop me from smoking in my own car and there will be dire consequences!!

Nah, im just having a lend. It is necessary to excercise caution when driving with a burning stick in your hand. Ive dropped smokes on the floor from time to time - but its not too dangerous to indicate, pull over and fish it out before anything burns.

Well in QLD the original draught of the new smoking laws did actually have private cars to be banned if more than the driver was in them.
It was taken out to be put in at a later date, its a progressive implementation of the smoking laws over 5 years, they started in 2004 so final one is 2009. it will still come.
And as it sits at the moment under legislation in QLD you cannot smoke in a workplace and yes it does extend to cars If more than 1 person in them. For instance a tradesman driving his ute from one job to another is a workplace (with a 2nd person in car).
(they may not enforce it but the laws are comming to ban smoking from private cars)
I myself an an exsmoker, I gave up in 2004 after smoking since I was 12.
It does not worry me about people choosing to smoke in thier cars but dumping the butts outside drives me nuts.

Last edited by Yaw; 20-08-2006 at 08:18 AM.
Yaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post