Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2015, 02:48 PM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Parrallel imports in the news again

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
For a bit of fun I pretty much selected every option on M3 sedan on BMW USA website and came up to 75k $ US . Our M3 starts at a around 173k $ AUD for less optioned car. Not much difference you say ?
That's obscene!

I admit I was looking at the "lower end" of their range rather than the upper end. They would operate on the principle that if people have money to throw around, then they don't mind how much they throw around.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #32
dead_man00124

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comme...16-1mm5dr.html

looks more like an opinion peice and nothing official
dead_man00124 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #33
wranger

2 minutes on an English carsales site and you can get a 2010 M6 with 15,000kms for $55k AUD...

No wonder the Germans are ****ed.
wranger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 02:54 PM   #34
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of my mates privately imported his 911 from the UK after owning it there for 3 years. Local official Porsche dealer has no issue with servicing it.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #35
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammy View Post
One of my mates privately imported his 911 from the UK after owning it there for 3 years. Local official Porsche dealer has no issue with servicing it.
If you got the coin they won't turn you back, the only time someone turns back work or inflates prices up hugely is they don't want to touch it.

I don't like touching VWs for more than the basics.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 03:58 PM   #36
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

As far as I can see, NZ has got it roughly right. If you're not going to have a car industry, then allow parallel imports. I'd love something like a Toyota Blade Master - 206kw Aurion V6 motor in a Corolla hatch. That'd give some people a surprise.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 04:02 PM   #37
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
If you got the coin they won't turn you back, the only time someone turns back work or inflates prices up hugely is they don't want to touch it.

I don't like touching VWs for more than the basics.
I know we're talking boats here, not cars, but Malibu boats Australia and their dealer network have had a policy here for a couple of years now that they will not service or supply parts for any Malibu boat that has been imported from the US. They will only touch Aust built boats.

Plenty of people have the coin when you're talking $100K+ boats, but they still won't take their money to service or supply parts.
Old 17-04-2015, 04:05 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
I know we're talking boats here, not cars, but Malibu boats Australia and their dealer network have had a policy here for a couple of years now that they will not service or supply parts for any Malibu boat that has been imported from the US. They will only touch Aust built boats.

Plenty of people have the coin when you're talking $100K+ boats, but they still won't take their money to service or supply parts.
At the end of the day its their loss and I guess its up to the business, you can order parts for Toyotas they didn't sell locally from dealerships if you are that way inclined and parts are still available new out of Japan.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #39
nstg8a

In this age of people already buying parts from overseas to sidestep the local exorbitant prices it's only natural that we look at the next logical step. Parallel imports.
I'm from nz, and to me, the import scene was a godsend for the average motorist. In a matter of 2-3 years we went from a mk5 cortina sport being a factory hot rod, to everyone getting their hands on starions, 4wd cordias, bfmr 323's etc etc.
the average age of cars on the road dropped massively,,and became 11ty times more efficient. Now they have a rolling age limit on imports to stop people bringing in the cheap crap unless it's a collectable.

New cars being parallel imported will have the same effect, just not as big because obviously not as many people can buy a new car outright.

Parallel imports can only be a good thing for aussie consumers. You guys have been stiffed for decades, not only in cost, but specs as well.
Look at the nissan pintara trx... Aussie 'sport sedan' with its 2.4 single cam boat anchor, meanwhile the jdm nissan bluebird sss was awd with a sr20det.

Magna vs diamanté same same. Overseas market was better specced, more engine options and better built.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 06:14 PM   #40
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.smh.com.au/business/comme...16-1mm5dr.html

As exciting it is for some ( including myself) , minister has clarified that intention would be to allow parallel importing of new cars and not second hand ones.
Realistically , nothing will come out of it , car lobby is too powerful .
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 07:49 PM   #41
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That's obscene!

I admit I was looking at the "lower end" of their range rather than the upper end. They would operate on the principle that if people have money to throw around, then they don't mind how much they throw around.
Talk back radio yesterday was saying that these rules will only help those who purchase high end cars, not the cheaper end.. So again laws being changed to suit the rich end of town.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #42
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just food for thought, second hand European cars that are Australian delivered command a significant premium. 911s are a prime example. A traceable history is piece of mind I guess
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 08:54 PM   #43
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I'd do it just to get the powertrains that our idiot marketing people think we don't need. New Mondeo with 180PS Duratorq and 6 speed manual please!
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #44
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now if they'll just let people to be able if they wish to drive brand new LHD cars, we'll really be onto something...

Look at the ecstatic hype about the Dodge Rams being sold here soon...by people who seemingly have no problem with their sale price starting at an eye watering $120,000, when in the USA they're between $25,000 and $35,000...even the top range Laramie Limited is $55,000...
There's literally no reason anyone shouldn't if they wish be able to import a new LHD one of them...it's not like vision from up there would be a problem...

I found it funny that the sweating and very worried car industry guy on TV the other day was saying how terrible it would be if people started buying and importing foreign made cars like the Ford Fiesta...because...you know, we wouldn't want people buying foreign made Fiestas...

When they stop making cars here, there are going to have to be some interesting excuses wheeled out if new cars prices don't drop because we wouldn't be "protecting local manufacturing" anymore so there should be no need for tariffs and taxes and duties on "foreign cars"...

Servicing? I've known plenty of guys with imports over the years, mostly Japanese stuff, and they've never really had an issue taking them along to the Toyota or Nissan dealer (much less places like UltraTune) and getting them serviced. They're cars...and the aftermarket can supply just about anything you want in pretty short order.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #45
cycle myth

I don't think the base level of each car in US and Aus are the same.

Not sure what the support would be like locally on a US sourced car - getting lhd bits might be more difficult.
cycle myth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2015, 09:22 PM   #46
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good news, these global companies want to play business on a global scale (ie cheap labour) but don't want the individual to be able to access the same savings. The pressure on govt will be too big on this one.
Smart business people will set up to look after imports if the factory wont. Clowns like Malibu boats not servicing imports only make me want to buy an import.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-04-2015, 09:52 PM   #47
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the beginning the dealer network of New Zealand didn't support the grey market imports but had a change of heart that continues today.
this excerpt from Wikipedia on grey imports is accurate...
Quote:
In the 1980s,[32] New Zealand eased import restrictions, and reduced import tariffs on cars. Consequently, large volumes of used cars from Japan appeared on the local market, at a time when most cars in New Zealand were locally assembled, and expensive compared to other countries, with most used cars available being comparatively old[citation needed].

Local buyers now had a much wider choice of models, but despite specifications being higher than so-called "NZ New" cars, there were many problems with "clocking" or odometer fraud, with the odometer wound back to display a much lower mileage. Other problems include written-off vehicles involved in accidents in Japan[citation needed].

However, the widespread availability of used Japanese imports prompted official importers to reduce the price of brand new cars, and in 1998, New Zealand became one of the few countries in the world to remove all import tariffs on motor vehicles.[33]

Grey market vehicles comprise a majority of cars in the national fleet. These secondhand imports have achieved 'normal' status and are used and serviced without comment throughout society. A huge industry servicing and supplying parts for these vehicles has developed. After years of trying to stop grey imports the car companies themselves have become involved, importing in competition with their own new models and providing owners with spare part and repair services. Russia and many African countries, albeit not South Africa where second-hand car imports are illegal, import large quantities of secondhand vehicles from Japan and Singapore.

Nevertheless, a great many used vehicles are imported, 94.6 per cent of which come from Japan, most of which are Japanese makes. Most of the other makes are German, such as Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche and Volkswagen.[34] There are a smaller number of United States makes such as Chevrolet and Chrysler, which were built in right hand drive for the Japanese market.[35] Although in heavy decline from 2005[citation needed], used-vehicle import totals are higher than those of vehicles first registered in New Zealand. In 2006, 123,390 ex-overseas vehicles were registered, compared to 76,804 brand new vehicles[citation needed].

Used vehicles must, with some exceptions, be right-hand drive, and they must comply with recognised European, Australian, Japanese, or American emission and safety standards, or they are ineligible for import to New Zealand.[36][37]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_import_vehicle
Old 17-04-2015, 10:42 PM   #48
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle myth View Post
I don't think the base level of each car in US and Aus are the same.

Not sure what the support would be like locally on a US sourced car - getting lhd bits might be more difficult.
Fully optioned Golf Gti performance pack (DCC , lighting and driver assistant packages , leather interior ,panoramic sunroof) - 33 690 $ US - you can nearly double that for a locally delivered car.
What left hand bits are we talking about ? Mechanically they are the same car .
Basically , companies charge whatever they can get away with ...
Old 17-04-2015, 11:20 PM   #49
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
That's obscene!

A complete accident damage M3 can be had for mid-teens USD. Always wondered if that plus a $12k povvo pack aus-delivered 320i repmobile would make a cheap fun cruiser and track weapon.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 01:04 AM   #50
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What left hand bits are we talking about ? Mechanically they are the same car .
steering rack, steering column, front bulkhead, pedal box mounting, probably pedal box, dash reinforcing, dash panels, switch gear, mirrors, headlights, systems calibration, brake boosters, brake linkages are a few that spring to mind. some of them not trivial items.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 07:06 AM   #51
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Basically , companies charge whatever they can get away with ...
Quoted for fact.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 11:32 AM   #52
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Quoted for fact.
Truer words were never spoken...they charge what they think they can get away with...look at the price of a 300C here in Australia compared to the Yank version. Over there they're just a family car, as is the Mustang. Sold here they justify the extortionate price by marketing them as an "exclusive luxury car"...and some owners support this because they want them to stay that way for the "look at me" factor and to keep the plebs out of them.

Imagine how many Mustangs they would sell if they could keep the starting price sub-$35,000...they'd never keep up with demand...

But, I have no doubt the Mustang will come in as an exclusive highly priced "prestige performance" car priced to keep it exclusive.

Imagine if the government treated us like adults and said "You can drive whatever you like, as long as you pay to bring it in"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #53
dead_man00124

Mustang is a bad example as the price we pay is very close to what yanks pay for same specs.
Once you take into account exchange rate and shipping
dead_man00124 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 12:46 PM   #54
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilcv8 View Post
Talk back radio yesterday was saying that these rules will only help those who purchase high end cars, not the cheaper end.. So again laws being changed to suit the rich end of town.
Just doing a bit of internet research. The BMW X3 20d is about $2,000 cheaper in Australia than in UK. On top of that, the Australian one has about $3,000 of items that are extra on the UK that are included as standard here, making it about $5,000 cheaper here. You'd be shooting yourself in the foot importing a RHD X3.

LHD - they are about $7,000 cheaper in USA where they are built. In Germany, LHD with the same options loaded, about $2,000 cheaper than Australia. So really not that much difference.

I think in some sectors of the market these manufacturers want to be price-competitive, but at the top end the buyers are rich and they get away more with charging what they want. I think it's true that direct import will only benefit the high end buyers.

For the majority of us, there are much bigger gouging issues in Australia to worry about (starting with food prices) than the cost of cars.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 01:51 PM   #55
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dead_man00124 View Post
Mustang is a bad example as the price we pay is very close to what yanks pay for same specs.
Once you take into account exchange rate and shipping
An interesting comparison would be to see how many weeks wages (blue collar workers in a Ford plant for example) it would take to buy a Mustang in the US compared to here.
Old 18-04-2015, 02:52 PM   #56
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I say let the market decide.

Cars have never been cheaper because of competition.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 03:02 PM   #57
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the price gouging idea, do any of you work for 35 dollars a month...because if your not you are gouging the rest of us. Because there are people around the world who will work for that money, or do you market yourself as a luxury or High quality employee?
No you charge what the market will bear.
Its good business and works for all involved as those brands criticised are doing quite well.
As for importing cheaper new cars, If I was a local supply chain or service center atatched to a dealer I too wouldn't offer specialist parts or service for these imports, have to protect your industry somehow. Ive seen it in many industries when competing against Chinese manufactured to order "equal" equipment

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 06:33 PM   #58
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
steering rack, steering column, front bulkhead, pedal box mounting, probably pedal box, dash reinforcing, dash panels, switch gear, mirrors, headlights, systems calibration, brake boosters, brake linkages are a few that spring to mind. some of them not trivial items.

JP
I worked In car industry and am pretty familiar with differences - to be fair if you need some of those parts mentioned , you might as well look at a new car .
If parallel imports were to be allowed chances are it would be for RHD vehicles only.
Old 18-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
When they stop making cars here, there are going to have to be some interesting excuses wheeled out if new cars prices don't drop because we wouldn't be "protecting local manufacturing" anymore so there should be no need for tariffs and taxes and duties on "foreign cars"...
we have free trade agreement with thailand and japan. prices won't change much if at all from anything from those countries. everything else will remain priced competitively with its competition.

i don't expect anything to change. car prices won't suddenly fall. they could even rise if the aussie dollar drops...
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2015, 07:41 PM   #60
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at other items available as parallel import, go to any variety store, they will have dish washer tablets, cleaning products, cosmetics, confectionery, soft drinks, even packaged food all bearing the "parallel import" sticker. This is absolutely a win for the consumer, as it drives down the cost across the whole market.
For cars it will bring down the cost of the top end models, but im not sure about the volume ones, the market under 30K provides amazing value now when you look at what the same dollars bought 10 years ago.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz