Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #31
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
In the VT Commodore we used to have, there was an Easter Egg that you could activate that would do a digital display of speed next to the odometer on the dash.

I dont know if anything similar is around for fords.
The E-series one is well documented, many a GLI has been sold second hand as genuine police pak after a few button presses!
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 12:49 PM   #32
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
In the VT Commodore we used to have, there was an Easter Egg that you could activate that would do a digital display of speed next to the odometer on the dash.

I dont know if anything similar is around for fords.

Efs and Els have similar, but it was a full diagnostics menu.

Hold down the reset trip for 10 seconds in acc, switch the ignition to ON and press the trip quickly 3 times, on the third one leave it pushed in for another 10 seconds, the odo will go blank, or flash F0rD, hit the trip, then you have speed and rpm, gear indicator, fuel tank litres and some other goodies

EDIT Red, beat me by a couple of seconds :

Also has coolant temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, fuel consumption, average fuel consumption via trip meter.

Last edited by BlackLS; 31-10-2005 at 12:55 PM.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 12:59 PM   #33
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
The readings on those highway speed check signs are not worth the paper they're written on

(ps they are not written on paper - therefore worth nothing)
Hahahaha ... I agree ... I hired a Z3 a few yeara back while in Melb for the fun of it ... and went through one of those speed traps at 110km/h .... in a 100km/h zone ... I was passing other vehicles ... and the speed trap was saying I was doing 85km/h .... I can tell you that's the fastest 85km/h I've ever done.

I'd say the most accurate reading would be from a GPS unit ... probably not dead on ... but pretty damn accurate.

Lets just say accurate enough to keep you safe from being booked anyway.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 01:00 PM   #34
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke..
so that means if your caught doing 51 in a school zone, or 61 in a 50 zone u wont g et booked? yea right.
Luke,

whatever
i was told by an officer who actually new somthing about how they set the speed cameras up...i asked her about the 10% but thats BS or other states
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 01:01 PM   #35
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonEF
Efs and Els have similar, but it was a full diagnostics menu.

Hold down the reset trip for 10 seconds in acc, switch the ignition to ON and press the trip quickly 3 times, on the third one leave it pushed in for another 10 seconds, the odo will go blank, or flash F0rD, hit the trip, then you have speed and rpm, gear indicator, fuel tank litres and some other goodies

EDIT Red, beat me by a couple of seconds :

Also has coolant temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, fuel consumption, average fuel consumption via trip meter.
Damn .... all of these had this option?????
That's cool
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 01:08 PM   #36
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I had the police mode installed on my BA XR6 for a few months but got sick of it as you only have DTE reading and nothing else...

The intersting part however was that the cars actual speedo was 3 - 4 kms slower then the Police one, so sitting on 100 on the police one would have the speedo at 96-97 kms an hour... I always set the the car to the 105 on the police readout which was nearly 110, never got done and now I still sit on just under 110 because i know the speedo is that 3 - 4 kms slower, in 110 zones i sit on 115 and dont have any probs.

Another way you can figure it out on the BA's is to set the cruise at 100 for example and reset the average speed function in the trip computer, this will give you a more accurate speed reading, mines usually at 96 when i reset at 100 kms an hour.

BTW this can be installed on any BA / BF / SX / SY !! :

Last edited by Smoke Pursuit; 31-10-2005 at 01:17 PM.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2005, 01:45 PM   #37
VilkasBAMIIXR6T
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I wouldn't worry about digital read outs, Accuracy depends on how good the ADC is. But it helps for a quick view. Analog is much more accurate.

But which model/s has the digital speed out?
The BA has the digital speed out and this is calibrated where the analogue one is not. It is not a usual feature of the BA, I am not sure how they change it. Often stuffs up.
VilkasBAMIIXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post